Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DARTH MAUL v DARTH VADER

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 wotisthere

Vader , without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SavageD

I did until my mother decided (in her ultimate wisdom) to through everything out. Had Falcon and x-wing etc etc with original 1980's packaging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

If we're talking about Vader from Empire Strikes Back? Maul wins hands down.

Vader had become slow and his style of lightsaber dueling had become more about power and stance, hence the slow paced slug outs between Vader & Luke exchanging blows back & forth....

Maul would be hopping all over the place like a monkey on speed, Vader wouldn't have been able to keep up...I mean when luke finally gave into his anger and unleashed the ****storm on Vader in Return of the Jedi, that was pretty fast paced and Vader couldn't keep up.

If its Vader just after he turned in Episode 3, vader would win easily.... after episode 3, well we dont know exactly but i assume that the robotic body did slow him down considerably so he changed his style to the slow paced one we see in the original trilogy, focusing on landing powerful strikes with his lightsaber rather than trying to land as many as possible in quick succession.

/nerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Mathematics can solve all our problems.

Obi Wan beat Darth Maul
    therefore: Obi > Maul

Darth Vader subsequently beat Obi Wan
    therfore Vader > Obi

Since it can be proved that: Obi > Maul, and Vader > Obi

This implies that Vader > Maul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

chuck norris >>> vader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Vader by knock-out in the 10th round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

if ye read Shadow Hunter ye're opinion of Maul would change greatly. Had Maul not faced Obi-Wan he may well have become one of the greatest!! Fact was he was beaten by Obi-Wan - and there's no shame in that!! Anakin also suffered the same fate...and Anakin was stronger than his Darth Vader self. Which he admits himself in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Fact was he was beaten by Obi-Wan - and there's no shame in that!! Anakin also suffered the same fate...and Anakin was stronger than his Darth Vader self. Which he admits himself in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

You bet your as* there was shame in it!

Obi-Wan was only a padewan at the time, he had no business beating Maul like that. It was only Maul's overconfidence that allowed him to best him.

Yes, Anakin suffered the same fate, but Obi-Wan by this time had become one of the greatest living Jedi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

This is ridiculous.

If only they could remake the old scenes in the original trilogy to update the lightsaber fights, which look so clumsy and ungraceful, with no visual wow factor.

It's the likes of you that cause Lucas to think that he has to "improve" the OT every time there is a leap forward in CGI technology.

It may seem like a case of severe ret-conning when Lucas explains away the "clumsy and ungraceful" saber duels in the OT as being contests between cyborgs and half-trained kids, but it fits beautifully.
    As breathtalking as the duels in the Prequels are, NONE them have the dramamtic impact of the duel between Luke and Vader in ROTJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

irishthump wrote: »
    You bet your as* there was shame in it!

Obi-Wan was only a padewan at the time, he had no business beating Maul like that. It was only Maul's overconfidence that allowed him to best him.

Yes, Anakin suffered the same fate, but Obi-Wan by this time had become one of the greatest living Jedi.

All that counts is that Obi-Wan halved Maul right down the middle :D. Whether it was because of overconfidence or not is irrelevant. Obi-Wan whooped Maul, fair and square...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Err, Darth Maul would definitely win. Vader's a bloody seventy year old man with no real arms or legs, and he fights as though he's underwater.

Darth Maul, however, is an acrobatic master of dual bladed Juyo saber style, a form whose unpredictable staccato attacks is simply overpowering against Vader's slow and easily counter-attackable blend of Shien and Djem So.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭presotrader

Halla Basin has a point there.

If you take a peek at Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, which is a Lucas release, you notice that fighting as Vader you do not have the option of running. The character has excellent stance and force powers, but not much agility - the cyborg body is not able to balance properly and lacks proprioception.

I think it would be a draw - Maul attacking relentlessly with his species vigor, Vader using the force to keep him at bay. On the psychological front, Vader has doubts - he allows Luke to turn him around in the end, while Maul is given 200% to the dark side.

Would this re-ignite the debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Pretty sure they fought each other in one of the comics and though maul appeared to have gotten the upper hand due to his agility Vader won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sgross75

Close one - Vader seems a bit slow and chunky when he fights Luke and Maul is smooth in his movements - but with Vader being the all dark side of the force I reckon that he would not even have to draw his lightsaber and just lift his hand and use the force to crush Maul....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Vader, no contest!
    Maul is like the power ranger of Jedi's, Vader is his own legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JohnnyIrvine666

Vader would kick Maul motherf*cking ass!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Darth Vader would win this hands down. Darth Maul may have his face painted and have a double sided lightsaber but Darth Vader seems to have better power when it comes to actually using the force. Darth Maul didn't seem to execute the force that much in The Phantom Menace so Darth Vader would use Maul as his whipping boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It would be like asking a gymnast to fight Mike Tyson:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

Based on weapons only, I'd say Maul.

But as far as skills and the Force, etc. I'd say Vader.

I voted for Maul though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Vader. Even I know that and I'm not a Star Wars freak. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭theoldalfer

Mmmmmmmmm, depends on what time frame the Vader is, he was old and slow by the time of a new hope. Luke gave him a good fight in Empire and defeated him in Jedi and he was by no meens a master. Maul was a bit too cocky and Obi-Wan cut him down to size:D, but then so was the young Vader. Mmmmmmmm but then Anakin was the chosen one:D. Vader after a hard fight;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciano12

I like Darth Vader but if there was a fight the nother guy wud win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

Mmmmmmmmm, depends on what time frame the Vader is, he was old and slow by the time of a new hope. Luke gave him a good fight in Empire and defeated him in Jedi and he was by no meens a master. Maul was a bit too cocky and Obi-Wan cut him down to size:D, but then so was the young Vader. Mmmmmmmm but then Anakin was the chosen one:D. Vader after a hard fight;)

Anakin wasnt actually the chosen one, thats just what they originally, Luke was the real chosen one

I first thought it would be vader, but really it would be darth maul. Think about it obi wan beat maul and anakin, but it took 2 of them to beat maul and only obi wan to beat anakin, therefore it would be maul imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Vader, Hands Down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Think about it. OBI loses sabre battles all the time, in the prequels and Anakins wins. So Anakin is probably best with a sabre in the prequels, but yet is bested by OBI which is inconsistent tbh. Darth beats OBI when they are both old. But neither would have lasted a minute against their younger selves. So Darth/Anakin is probably the most experienced (and most successful in sabre battles) of all when he loses to Luke who has no experience at all.

So maul manages to fight two jedi's, OBI, QUI's and wins, killing QUI. But then loses to OBI, very unconvincingly. He just stand there and waits for it to happen. His lightening reflexes of a 30 secs ago suddenly vanished.

If he fought, vader, he probably dance around him for 10 minutes, they both destroy all the building for miles with force powers, then maul would get distracted by a squirrel, and vader kill him, with a simple straight thrust.

But the music would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kmurr04

Vadar versus Maul

def Vadar! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

I think it's plausible to assume in the time between Episodes III and IV Vader worked on his mastery of the Force so, while he may have gotten slower and weaker physically he would still have some sort of edge in this duel. Especially when we consider that he suffered horrific burns on Mustafar and most of his limbs needed replacing with artificial parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

^^^^^^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

cianl1 wrote: »
    I think it's plausible to assume in the time between Episodes III and IV Vader worked on his mastery of the Force so, while he may have gotten slower and weaker physically he would still have some sort of edge in this duel. Especially when we consider that he suffered horrific burns on Mustafar and most of his limbs needed replacing with artificial parts.

Its probably easier to do what Lucas did. Make it up as he went along, and forget all reason and logic. Han Solo would step in, put his whip away and shoot them with a S&W 38.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eirezman

definately Vader. Maul just look scary and acrobatic!

Advertisement