Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NWN - Wednesday 29-01-2003

Options
  • 28-01-2003 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

OK, what do ppl want for wednesday ?
    1) The next part of Bramblewood.
    2) The other module loloth susgested with the hak pack (i'll mirror)
    3) As 2 but with a seperate server vault again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I've mirrored the hak pak u need
    http://www.darkkeep.com/files/modules/adam_miller_shadowlordshak.zip

if we play Shadow Lords we'll need that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Its up to the group i suppose. I can play both evenings. If people have a preference for whichever campaign they want to play on whichever day we should take a vote.

I must say I am enjoying the BT series, nicely paced.
    I'll start looking at follow-ups to it as well, hopefully another series or campaign mod as these seem to be better in general than the stand alone ones. Maybe we could retry Temple of Elemental evil.

oooh, nice fast download. I got up to 185mb/sec on that link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

got it too.

may as well continue with bramblewood.
    Chapter 3.

Not sure if theres one after this.

• Advertisement

i think ch3 is the final chapter of the bramblewood series.

think we;d better start looking for a continuation.

I probs won't be able to make it tonight.

Maybe, but think I will have company.

What time are you thinking of starting?

then we can move onto ShadowLords on moday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

I'd suggest we finish bramblewood. Better finish a campaign in one straight row than throwing in other campaigns and "cross-play". Just my opinion thou. The majority will decide what is played.

I wonder if the shadowlords modules would scale to suit our bramblewood characters... I would like to continue with the same characters if possible.

If we did continue with our old characters, the first shadowlords modules would be very easy and quick to play through, but they should catch up in challenge pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

or how about going on into

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/Trinity2.shtml

the citadel series, starts at level 5. May be some bugs though but I think these are mainly for single player games. Got some good reviews, seems quite epic. And no hak pak required :)

Just a thought.

oh, and in the first module, anyone below 10k xp gets bumped up to 10k. So people have the choice to change characters if they want.

flash, you exited with the temple key. We couldn't continue the scenario even though we got all the way to the final area. :(

we gonna have to work something out about the quest items thing. make sure people don't log off with them in their packs.

damn! sorry, didn't know I was carrying a quest-item :/
    I thought I dropped everything necessary for the module to finish (I always dropped a page when I found one and other quest-like stuff I didn't immediately use (to unlock a chest for example))

sorry I borked that one :/
    but my mother was choking me... literally... to go to bed. Well, things will change in a few months for me. First priority is to leave home and get my own appartment.

I hope you see why it'd be very good for me if the wednesdays and mondays would start 1 hour sooner :(
    A vote on it would really be cool. With 3 options like:

1. Yeah, one hour sooner!
    2. I don't care at all
    3. No, I'd get problems if it was one hour sooner!

From what I heard, others would like to move it one hour sooner, too, and many don't mind at all. Maybe it won't even conflict with anyone's timeplan, then we could just change it.
    Well, if nothing works, I'll just drop my non-standard inventory before leaving.

cya
    - Flash

or we all carry a chest to place quest items into. Then, if we are first to leave, we drop that :)

Not sure if an hour earlier would suit me though. I only finish work about 6:30, home and food takes a while. If the rest of the group decide to go earlier, then I'm sure I could survive the change. my preference is as is though.

I actually have a whole page of my inventory reserved for quest-items (6). Nothing in there when I left. So, I must've somehow accidently slipped the key into my "loot-to-sell"-pages (3 and 4), or I got it via a chat and it somehow dropped into my "health, medkit and weapons"-page (1)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Same here. Time suits as is. Don't get home until 6:30 then dinner, shower and play NW till bed time.

I must ask, what is on pages 2 and 5 that you dare not tell us ?

Also theres no way I can get online before 7:30. But I can start start the server before that ofcourse. I have a script which should allow us to control access to the game until we are ready. But more of that at another time.

the key was found on Darric's corpse. beside the gong, where we found the first letter. The page was in the trapped chest (we got the key for that chest from the flesh golem after I was tempted to set off the gong trap.... me likes gongs :) ).

page 5 is the "ammo and ring"-page where I keep my bolts and any ammo I find (especially magical ammo), even if it ain't my type of ammo. I also got all rings and amulets there that I might need to change. Most of the time, there are 2 rings of insight there to help me ID stuff for the team.

page 2 is the "stuff to keep for teammates"-page. Here, I put all magic bags and items I think would we nice for my teammates (either now, in campaign, or if it's a normal char, later, when someone is online who might need it)

dang, could well be the key slipped in to page 3 or 4 with the other loot-stuff if it was on the body of that guy :/

well, I'll triple-check next time if I have to leave early.

cya
    - Flash

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I have a bit of page 1 filled with some potions and page 2 has a load of 1 gp ammo on it. My equipment consists of the newbie robe and weapon and 1 ring.

I must be doing something wrong... :confused:

I am going to take a few classes in ninja looting to fill me a few pages :eek:

• Advertisement

well, I've been playing since the start and I've managed to sell *everything* i own to get a ring prot +1, and an amulet natural armour +1. I am still wearing my original gear (studded leather). Got a helm as a quest reward and a longbow.

Armed with either a greatsword or a dagger +1 if I go into hand to hand against magical needing creatures.

Got 2 healing kits, out of my share of loot last session. 1 cure moderate and 3 cure light potions.

Saving a great axe for whoever needs it (need to be 6th level, i'll use it until someone better levels up - looking at the barbarian here :) ).

Got a decent dagger that I'll save for offhand use (vampiric regen +1, and a +1 enchantment). Once I can use that I'll pass off the +1 dagger to someone else that needs it.

Considering I go into hand to hand quite a bit, its not really suprising that i die quite often :)

This is why I am usually quite strict about looting and shares. It ensures that we aren't hoarding up useless crap that emans others aren't getting anything. For example: we find two ranger items and I get both of them... I really don't expect to get *any* money from the adventure or a share of any other items. But, if say BC watched me get two items, he'd be understandably annoyed if he was sitting there twiddling his non-magical thumbs and not being able to afford healing kits or that kama +1 in the shop window that he's wanted for the last three sessions.

guys, if you need stuff, just tell me. I'm always saving money and (thanks to the module-designer) the whole campaign is just full of rogue-stuff. Got 2 rogue-helmets, the superb rogue-armor from BC, a longsword +1 from the quest noone wanted to do at the start and an amulet of +1 to all saving throws. Recently bought a +1 x-bow from my share of module #2.
    If you guys need something, tell me. I'm always a bit uneasy if I carry around too much money. That's why I tend to buy everyone stuff he needs (lol, ask light :p). So, if BC wants a kama +1, that'll be next on my to-buy list.
    I think the problem here is just that noone says a word. If I find something good, I always ask who would need it. Rarely anyone ever answers, so I tend to keep it on page 2 (for teammates) and cry it out a few more times when we're refitting in a city. If still noone needs it and I need cash for something (no matter if it's a x-bow for me or a longbow for light or whatever), I'll sell it.

oh, reminds me: light, always let me check the traps before you disable them. If the challenge-rating ain't too high, I can recover the trap, giving the team GP. Most of them are worth only 9 GP, but some are worth 50 or even 500...

ok, enough babbling from ol' flashy

cya
    - Flash

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Well ya know it shouldnt be my job to have to ask you for 'crumbs from the masters table', or to 'throw the dog a bone' to use a couple of euphimisms...

Last night for example I asked you for some of them heal potions you were looting and you gave me some cure light potions. Am I to believe that all you looted were those, or that you decided to keep the modreate ones for yourself and throw the trashy ones to me? And why should I even have to be treated like a schoolkid who can't look after himself?

You were not calling everything you looted (almost everything there was to loot) so are we to have a macro or something that we press every 5 mins to get a list of your current "stock"?

Forgive me for ranting here a bit but I have had enough experience with this kind of thing in EQ in the past and there i simply put these kind of people on ignore immediately and moved on to a different place, can't do this here tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

eh I don't need a kama +1. I already have one.
    Remember the Rock Paper Scissors's episode..

while a good intention, it's still not the best scenario.

if there is an item that no one wants, it should be sold and divided between the party. Then the party can decide who gets to buy what if more money is needed, and it's not left to the auspices of any single individual. ("mammy, may I have some candy").

for example, out of my share from session 2 i purchased an amulet of natural armour + 1, after selling my longsword, shield (i have since bought a replacement), any spare arrows and the shortbow i started with.

not getting at you but,

how is that you can afford to buy items for people, a xbow +1 for yourself, you carry around a spare helmet, have magical armour, a magical longsword (I don't remember refusing a quest in the intro module), and *still* end up carrying around too much money.

the first money zzap saw was when I sold the gems etc I ahd picked up and gave each person 150gp, then light sold his share and we got an additional 43.

you can see how this seems a tad unfair.

If spare items, unusable items and basic crap are converted into money (after checking that no-one wants) and divided between the people that have not received any items through luck of the draw, then they can agree on buying equipment etc. and everyone is happy (well, happier). I know you see this as too strict, but it is fair.

I'm not talking about throwing a dog a bone. I'm saying "if you need something, just say it". The 8 small health potions I gave you were not what I found in the loot-bags (I searched 5 or 6 of em). I got 1 small potion and 5 medium potions and a few gems (worth about 20-40 GP). The 8 small potions I gave you were potions I saved up. I don't know if anybody realized that, but I only use potions if I'm like near death. I'm a scott when it comes to using stuff. I save all and everything.
    About calling out stuff: I call out everything bigger than a gem. If I open a barrel and find 1 or 2 GP or 99 bolts, I won't shout "OMG! I FOUND 2 BUCKS AND 99 BOLTS!!!". As I'm the rogue in the party and always diffuse the traps and unlock the crates, it's obvious I open those. But you can't accuse me of holding equipment back (well, you can, but I think it's not alright). I spend my last GP to buy light that longbow when he joined late so he could finally put his ranger-skills in full use. I also always gave out stuff if someone asked.
    If you're too good to ask for something, it's not really my problem. I just grass up the trunks and barrels as everyone else does. I offer the items I find like everyone else. If you wanted medium potions instead of small ones (which I tend to use myself, too, btw) you could've said so. I think it's a bit unfair saying "thx" in the game and then come here and say "FLASH IS BUNKERING UP EVERYTHING!". A figher with more HP would've gotten the medium potions. Now that we have a ring of regeneration, I'd even suggest to seriously cut down on potion-use at all. If we just pass around the ring, we should be doing quite alright.

anyways, to get back on topic: yeah, I bunker up alot of stuff. But I ain't bunkering up for me. The problem with looking into crates, then calling out their contents without taking anything is that stuff gets left behind (which is, imho, worse for the team).

anyways, enough of my counter-rant. I'd like to know if other players too have the feeling that I'm holding stuff back. If so, someone else can search the chests and do the calling out. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

cya
    - Flash

"how is that you can afford to buy items for people, a xbow +1 for yourself, you carry around a spare helmet, have magical armour, a magical longsword (I don't remember refusing a quest in the intro module), and *still* end up carrying around too much money."

the xbow +1 was from my share and found money (cost was 600 or 800, can't remember)

the spare helmet was a ****ty normal 25 GP helmet from my start.
    the magical armor was something BC gave me
    remember when you all wanted to move on to the next module after intro? when I held you guys up? I finished the stupid quest with the farmer there. Gave one longsword +1. After the x-bow, I now got 124 GP left (or 114). I don't know if it's too much really... a few lightning-traps I recovered gave quite some cash (which went into the x-bow). I ain't a walking bank.

But I see where this is getting to. Next game, I'll unlock the chests and let you do the looting. As long as I get to disarm the traps, I'm happy.

cya
    - Flash

Actually the loot thing never really bother's me a huge amount, as a few sessions in, it stops mattering as everyone is effective.

Though it is nice to look well ...

But Traps ... the thing is with traps, some places are littered with them and it can get dull disarming row after row of them, when they can be walked around, shot out or just triggered, the worst that can happen is death ..

With these games I like to move quick sometimes, rather than always walking slowly behind. It's about balance. Sometimes be cautious, sometimes maybe just charge in and liven things up.

Everyone is just enjoying their game, and it has always been fairly relaxed. Keep it that way.

JAK.

flash, my point was the phrase "if you want anything, just ask me and I'll buy it for you" seems a bit out of place when no-one else can afford to buy anything for themselves without making huge sacrifices. and while spunj's "scraps" comment is perhaps over the top, it does have merit. I was not asking you to account for your equipment, my "not getting at you" was meant to explain that. I was just illustrating a point using your equipment, my equipment and zzap's situation.

As a rogue, there is always the risk of being seen to literally play a thief (the main reason I made sure to call out everything - and I mean everything - I found when I was playing Varathan). usually I left the stuff in the chests after calling it out or ID'd items and left them on the ground for the group to decide.

Jak's point is valid too. This is a game. We are here to enjoy it. It isn't a competition (if it were you all know I'd win hands down :p ).
    We can't be too organised or it takes the fun out of it. The biggest problem is finding a middle ground where everyone can enjoy the game.

To settle this argument though, I would suggest that Spunj do the chest/bag/corpse looting on monday and divvy up the treasure as best he can. if it works, we can keep it that way.

The alternative is a script for loot division that can be added to the scenarios quite easily. I have it already (from a DM friend of mine) and it works nicely. Broadcasts what is found and randomly distributes it.

• Advertisement

fine with me

btw, the "if you want anything, just ask me and I'll buy it for you" line didn't mean I got ****loads of money. It meant I am willing to put in every GP I have (including my part of the loot in future games now) if someone really needs an item. It's a teamgame after all. It's priority to equip everyone to his/her maximum effectiveness and not to sum up riches (that get blasted into oblivion when you die)

Advertisement