Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish WLANs win government funding

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

O2 (€111,268)

That money will achieve little more than feeding O2 execs prawn sandwiches and canapes for a month.

€111,268 given to CorkWAN would have established a node, and funded research into establising others (at the very least).

It's a real bloody let down. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by ozpass
    It's a real bloody let down. :mad:

Its also a real challenge to IOFFL. Now that we have movement in the right direction on Flat Rate and Affordable DSL, WLL is the next (final?) great hurdle.

And once again its goin to need a lot of hard work lobbying, educating, and snail's pace progress .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Originally posted by BigEejit
    I know this is offtopic .. but is CorkWAN extending out from the city centre at any time (in particular out to Ballincollig) ...
    if you got funding, what is your goal, to provide to residential peeps in the suburbs, or just businesses in the centre ?
    the website doesn't seem terribly informative
    sounds promising though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

is CorkWAN extending out from the city centre at any time

It's quite likely that CorkWAN will roll out initially outside the city, in medium to large towns around the county. As soon as we've tested and settled on locations, we'll post them on our website.

in particular out to Ballincollig

Ballincollig has been mooted as a possible location, but that really means nothing at this stage.

if you got funding, what is your goal, to provide to residential peeps in the suburbs, or just businesses in the centre ?

It's our intention to provide services to both business and consumers. As I mentioned above, our initial rollout is likely to be outside the city, however our network is going to be operated from a central Network Operations Center, which cuts costs dramatically for the rollout of new nodes.

the website doesn't seem terribly informative

Indeed. I've just completed a new template for the site, and I'll try and get it filled in with a little more information when I upload that.

Thanks,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ragabone

I'd like to suggest that it may not be in Esats or 02s interest to produce a positive report.

• Advertisement
Advertisement