Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Business Post : wholesale price ADSL price to be 28 euros

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Eircom using the SBP again I see to bring this news about. Until this guy guarantees this price and brings it out asap I won't trust them. They could talk about doing this for another year if they wanted to. Its still not an official offering though is it ? Talk is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Surely there has been an official offer by now! Theoretically they are rolling the retail out next month and if they try to do that with out the wholesale then Comreg . . . but maybe that's the plan. Eircom have this wonderful deal but comreg won't let us sell it. We're struggling to help the Irish consumer but the nasty beauraucrats are stopping us.

That has a familiar ring to it somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

A question on this wholesale product. If for example UTV purchase this do Eircom dictate the bandwidth that they can use? Say UTV offer it no cap for around the same price as Eircoms with a cap and UTV users draw about five times the data the Eircom users do. Can Eircom put restriction on UTV other than the wholesale price? Or is bandwidth something that is purchased separately prom the line by each provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Dotsie~tmp
    A question on this wholesale product. If for example UTV purchase this do Eircom dictate the bandwidth that they can use? Say UTV offer it no cap for around the same price as Eircoms with a cap and UTV users draw about five times the data the Eircom users do. Can Eircom put restriction on UTV other than the wholesale price? Or is bandwidth something that is purchased separately prom the line by each provider?

As far as i know eash isp can either supply there own bandwidth or buy eircoms. Caps in the sense of the word you use, don't apply in wholesale situations. Eircom or any provider will charge be the amounth of bandwidth used and also the size of the pipe. To sperate costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ooopps wrong.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    the wholesale offering is capped, skepticone pointed this out about a month ago

So your saying with this wholesale offering, isp's have to get there bandwidth from eircom? news to me. Anyway of confirming this. seems very contradictory to free and open competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The bitstream offering isn't capped. There may be problems, however, if the ISPs are forced to use a 50:1 contention ratio. I think this is what muck might be referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

at least things are moving in the right direction :)

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    The bitstream offering isn't capped. There may be problems, however, if the ISPs are forced to use a 50:1 contention ratio. I think this is what muck might be referring to.

Very interesting, leave the ground open for allot of pointless guess work. Anyway back to the orginal question about bandwidth caps. the first answer stands.

One think i will say, id imagine that 50:1 is only releavent to ports and that you can put as much bandwidth physically possible behind that, purely because i can't see any real reason why you couldn't. In the same fashion if someone wanted a 25:1 contention they would pay twice as much. Just remember that 28 a month wholesale is not the price of a a port. 1400 euro a month is the wholesale price of a port

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

My understanding of business accounting vis a vis (ooh! get her!) VAT is that VAT can only be charged once on any product or service. Therefore, assuming the wholesale price is €28 ex vat, any OLO buying this from Eircom will be charged VAT on it. Being a company registered for VAT they will then claim this back from the Revenue as it will be paid by the end user.
    The price in real terms to the OLO is still €28 euro and the revenue are happy because they get 21% of the higher retail price to help pay for tribunals and Mary Harney's air taxi and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by JohnK
    at least things are moving in the right direction :)

I'd wait and see. Lets remember Eircom's sole "raison d'etre" is to extract as much cash as possible from the Irish economy for their overseas investors (with the assistence of their stooges in Fianna Fail and ComReg)

Friaco and cheap bb access are in conflict with this overall mission - they still have a huge incentive to keep us on overpriced dialup and leased lines

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Good point.
    /me enters pessimistic mode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

They are just pre-empting what COMREG would have forced them to do, when the New European Framework becomes law during the late summer. They are just getting the jump on it and the market, introducing mass DSL on their terms, so your partially right in a way.

But still there would be no way they would have been doing this without pressure for D.Ahern and to a lesser extent COMREG. They where spitting fire when FRIACO was mandated, they were MAD, but DoCOMM pushed ahead anyway. So there is something to be hopefully about, a change of mood at COMREG and DoCOMM, certain has occured me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by MDR
    So there is something to be hopefully about, a change of mood at COMREG and DoCOMM, certain has occured me thinks.

Perhaps that something is the need to comply with EU regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

No, I don't know if it would be too forward to say,
    be certainily in IOFFL's dealing with them,
    they seem to be a little bit more energised,
    but maybe that is just my perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Boston
    One think i will say, id imagine that 50:1 is only releavent to ports and that you can put as much bandwidth physically possible behind that, purely because i can't see any real reason why you couldn't.
    Going on the current bitstream offering (if I've read the thing correctly), the service includes a data link to a number of handover locations. So if the ISP has 200 customers it wants served off a particular handover point (there are three in Dublin, for example), Eircom will provide sufficient capacity on this link to transfer 2 meg/sec (since each user will have 512k on a 50:1 ratio). Therefore a bottleneck is introduced at this point and extra bandwidth available to the ISP can't be used.

All this is based on my understanding of the current offering and the assumption that it will also apply to the new version proposed by Eircom except with a 50:1 ratio as opposed to 24:1.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Going on the current bitstream offering (if I've read the thing correctly), the service includes a data link to a number of handover locations. So if the ISP has 200 customers it wants served off a particular handover point (there are three in Dublin, for example), Eircom will provide sufficient capacity on this link to transfer 2 meg/sec (since each user will have 512k on a 50:1 ratio). Therefore a bottleneck is introduced at this point and extra bandwidth available to the ISP can't be used.

exactly the type of situation i was thinking for smaller isps like utv. (one thing, what happens with the 1mb service) .

But what about the situation where certain isps can supply their own bandwidh directly to the exchange, like esat,nevada and esb(will). Granted i dont fully understand what you mean by handover location. You say theres only three in dublin so they can't be access nodes i'm thinking of.

to be honest i can see this becoming very confusing, since what little inofmation there is about the exact technical spec of these services is hard to come by. Most of what i'm going on is what i read on how BT operates. which may or may not have anything to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

sounds great - anyone able to enlighten me what this 45euro offering from eircom is? or point me to appropriate thread - I'm in australia so only catch up with the goings on in IOFFL land now and again.

cheers
    Colm

Advertisement