Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom launch residential offering €60

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Eircom are denying this vehemently

"its not true. Its media speculation. Its not true. Two newspapers got it wrong, its still 107 per month."

very strange.

/edit: lol, just seen rebels post. They must have a massive idiot board that all the biddies read a script off
    ITS NOT TRUE

MEDIA SPECULATION

107 PER MONTH

WHO ARE ESAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

Just to further the meaningless speculation...
    I have it on good authority that the Independent reports are "inaccurate" (quelle surprise) , but yes, Eircom are indeed launching a new DSL package today. So I guess all we can do is wait for the specs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ah, she speaks the truth - i-stream is still 107 per month. eircom broadband is a new product altogether.

(referring to the biddy in Mullingar)

yet more speculation.

One thing that i couldnt mention up till now was that at the time (mid december) eircom didnt have a plan in place for shifting the 107 customers to the new price point. That sounded very bizzarre and unlikely to me, but it might be worth finding out if you can switch between the plans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ah, she speaks the truth - i-stream is still 107 per month. eircom broadband is a new product altogether.

Ah, it's probably ISDN so. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Could you elaborate on that?

<speculate>
    If Eircom offer Residential 256k at €60 retail they will also (must also) offer Wholesale 256k to other carriers too.

In the UK at the moment BT offer wholesale for c £15 and the ISP's offer for c £25 . Thats rough now :D

In Ireland we will probably see a wholesale offering for the 256k product at around €35.....the Rat has fatter margins to protect.
    Am I paranoid .....or will the Rat then try to pretend that there will be 'no demand' for FRIACO (max 128k) at €30 retail....based on consnsus forecasting in the 'Dermot' thread when you can 'now' get 256k for €60
    </speculate>

In other words, the specious argument that 'there is no Broadband demand' gets spun around to 'there is no FRIACO demand' instead. This is a tactical concession while Rattus Hibernicus regroups "Gerry and his Bunnies' and thats kinda what I mean Sceptic.

The IoffL press statement around lunchtime ....
    <muse>
    "while welcoming the market developments in the past month by ESAT followed by Eircom are nevertheless concerned that a flat rated product be introduced at the sensitive price point around <speculate>€24.99</speculate> to benefit those who spend time on line but do not have the bandwidth demands to justify 256k at the moment. "
    </muse>

Back on planet, my granny loves to Yahoo IM her far flung brood, to email and to browse a bit. With a 256k product installed she now needs to learn about, Messenger Spamming, Firewalling and the rest. This is too much to expect from dear Granny who never leaves her computer on at night and will cause a shedload of layer one alarms at the local DSLAM if she has to go straight to 256k , I can confidently predict.

She is perfect FRIACO material.

Now if they would just give her a decent line at a speed higher than her current 24k she would be most happy :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

I wonder do you have to use Eircoms hardware for der self install ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by De Rebel
    i
    /aside: Muck, why are so many of the biddies from Mullingar?

I normally get Kilkenny/Waterford biddies when I call. Its the Intelligent Routing behind the 1901 number so it is.

The NEW PRODUCT has a NEW 1800 number for ye to ring before the announcement.

1800 715111

Biddy Free Eircom Number , GO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Tazz T
    What I'm saying is that it definitely isn't half price i-stream. The product is to be called eircom broadband and is a slower product. However, there's nothing mentioned about a cap.
    So I can be sure my i-stream bill will stay at it's current inflated price...
    Originally posted by SkepticOne
    You can get a fair amount of rumour and conjecture done in 2 hours. I say we continue speculating.
    I agree, I just heard it was a 5Mb service and it was going to be available to everyone in the country cause Bertie said so.

ROFL Muck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Dustaz - a 512k offering for €60 odd lids. Would you put €20.00 on that? I have a VERY VERY good source that says otherwise.....well cork boy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Electric News:
    It is not yet known, however, whether Eircom is reducing the price of its existing DSL package or offering a slower-access package aimed at consumers.
    EsatBT gave a lukewarm welcome to the reports of the new Eircom DSL service. Although EsatBT offers DSL services from various exchanges around Ireland, it does so using its own equipment which is located inside Eircom exchanges. EsatBT would rather use Eircom equipment but said that the wholesale prices are still too high.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9136275

eircom is goihg to push this to market fast, tie ppl into contracts and capture the bandwidth with their customers.

UTV come on, get in there, get the wholesale product they're obliged to offer and undercut them.

Originally posted by crawler
    Dustaz - a 512k offering for €60 odd lids. Would you put €20.00 on that? I have a VERY VERY good source that says otherwise.....

I dont really believe it either crawler. My source is also a very very good source and he claimed that it would be 512 to squeeze esat out. Hes not a decision maker though and i highly doubt it will actually be 512, more likely 256 (altho hey, 378 is always a possibility:) )
    well cork boy?

I do have access to the ban function you know :)

:)

it's 256 initally with a 512 option, but probably later on.

Could rate limit it to anything they wanted really....but they will have problems in the areas where take up will be high at high speeds at peak times.

Please dont ban me Sir , I will need IOFFL at a later date for free advertising , trolling , flaming and spaming!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Muck
    The NEW PRODUCT has a NEW 1800 number for ye to ring before the announcement.

1800 715111

Biddy Free Eircom Number , GO!

"Welcom to the Eircom Shareholders Helpline"?????

Eircom got rid of it's shareholders over a year ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

in the highly unlikely event that it is a decent 512k service, would ye swallow yer pride and bite the Eircom bullet and sign up for it or see if EsatBT or UTV can come out with a better offering in a few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Scruff - no I wouldnt. I wouldnt take it for free from eircom or even if they paid me to trial it ( honestly ) - but that is just me. Cost effective , reliable Broadband for the masses is the objective regardless of how I feel about eircom.

I'd say a lot of ppl will jump at the chance of affordable broadband and then kick themselves when a better product comes out a couple of weeks later from an 'ethical' company. Imagine being tied into eircom for 12 months and not being able to avail of better products from better companies at better prices.

I've waited this long. I can wait a little longer.

From the RTE article: But Eircom say they have notified the regulator ComReg and are working on a new wholesale price.

Having said that, this is big step forward. FRIACO in sight and, now a wholesale price being fixed for broadband. Ireland Offline's objectives could realistically be achieved this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Competitors such as Esat BT say the move is predatory and anti-competitive as they have not been offered a wholesale rate first, which they must under the terms of Eircom's licence

here we go again. Eircom launches a retail product, ESAT objects, ComReg blocks, 6 months more elapses, the money keeps rolling in.

an Eircom stunt, good PR, and the status quo maintained for another 6 months. ya just gotta admire the ba5tards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

"Welcom to the Eircom Shareholders Helpline"?????

Eircom got rid of it's shareholders over a year ago!

*imagines a biddy sitting in an empty office by a dust covered phone*

Eircom Efficiency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Good point Tazz. I think I'll wait till the Summer to avail of BB, until then i'll just use the college.

Bang on the nail Tazz T. eircom know what is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Muck
    Back on planet, my granny loves to Yahoo IM her far flung brood, to email and to browse a bit. With a 256k product installed she now needs to learn about, Messenger Spamming, Firewalling and the rest. This is too much to expect from dear Granny who never leaves her computer on at night and will cause a shedload of layer one alarms at the local DSLAM if she has to go straight to 256k , I can confidently predict.
    She won't need to know any more about Messenger spamming, firewalling etc than she does on dialup. Dialup users are just as vulnerable to Messenger Spamming and other issues that firewalls help you to manage as PPPoE users. (You can "hang up" with PPPoE, and it usually uses a dynamic IP address, just like dialup).

"Broadband" users are somewhat more attractive targets for those miscreants that want to take over you machine as a "zombie" if a DDoS attack on some remote host, but AV s/w is the usual defence against that, and nobody would ever suggest that you don't need A/V software if you only have dialup!

Besides, you can always get her one of these for her birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

about bloody time. those eircon leechs have sucked almost €1000 out of us since may.

Originally posted by Tazz T
    I'd say a lot of ppl will jump at the chance of affordable broadband and then kick themselves when a better product comes out a couple of weeks later from an 'ethical' company. Imagine being tied into eircom for 12 months and not being able to avail of better products from better companies at better prices.

From who? Esat arent in enough exchanges for a lot of people, Wireless seems to be only south dublin and the less said about ntl the better.

For most poeple eircom are the ONLY broadband option. Ive had thier dsl for long enough and im not kicking myself yet.

Having said that, this is big step forward. FRIACO in sight and, now a wholesale price being fixed for broadband. Ireland Offline's objectives could realistically be achieved this year.

NEW wholesale price:)

And yes, hopefully the end is nigh for the objectives:)

Originally posted by Ardmore
    Besides, you can always get her one of these for her birthday!

Or why not get her one of these . Eircom are flogging them for a very reasonable €471 "(Configured and Posted)" so she can have even more fun hooking it up herself and will kindly support it for her for an additional €363 per annum (Thats premier level support of course)

The number to ring is 1850 203 204 (Times must be hard, not using a 1800 for this one - still thers a chance for a few laughs for the price of a local call if anyone is bored at work)

/edit: jokes aside, one of my clients got a call from the "Business support" bit of Eircom offering her one of these things at the prices I quote. She checks her e-mail about 3 times a week "You need it because of viruses and things on the Internet". I actually have a copy of the quotation they e-mailed her.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    And yes, hopefully the end is nigh for the objectives:)

one chicken, two chickens, three chickens, four ......

• Advertisement

Originally posted by De Rebel
    one chicken, two chickens, three chickens, four ......

Every day i have to read endless amounts of "oh woe is us". Today, just like the utv day and the friaco day, its nice to be able to see the beginnings of an end in sight :)

ok, so im pretty sure well all be back to moaning later today, but it sure is nice to get a bit of good news every so often.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement