Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

86% of Eircom Exchanges will NOT have Broadband before September 2004

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by DMC

50 or so wired, 100 to go? Thats the plan!

1. 150 out of 1100 Nationally its 14% of exchanges, we both feel a warm glow for the other 950........ agreed.

2. You just linked a list of town with a POPULATION of 2000, Eircom are doing towns with 2000 LINES ....allegedly. I am operating a rough rule of thumb that sez

a) 3 people per house
    b) one line per house ,
    c) 2000 houses x 3 people = 6000 people.

KaChing!

3. Eircom know which exchanges/towns already have 2000 lines or are LIKELY to have 2000 lines by September 2004. They have known all along.

4. You correctly said that circa 50 exchanges are done out of 150 (5% of all the exchanges in Ireland now have DSL, like WOW aren't we the Tiger!)

Therefore ALL that Eircom had to do was to produce a Definitive list of 100 exchanges where they would Guarantee a DSL upgrade by 30/09/04 , thats a rolling plan of around 1.8 a week. Big Big Numbers.

They have NOT produced any such list. They have guaranteed the Spatial Strategy Towns will be done , thats all. 22 Towns.

If there is a Real plan to do 100 exchanges why will they not simply list them. If I was making a business location decision in Ireland in the next 6 months I would locate my ass beside them. So would most others. I Simply don't believe them, that press release said everything and nothing IMO.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Muck
    If there is a Real plan to do 100 exchanges why will they not simply list them. If I was making a business location decision in Ireland in the next 6 months I would locate my ass beside them. So would most others. I Simply don't believe them, that press release said everything and nothing IMO.
    Yes, that would ensure that they have demand in advance of installing the service. The fact that they have not listed them (in fact I can't find any lists of their existing i-stream exchanges) is worrying and makes me wonder about the sincerity of their press release).

So far they have said that they would be covering their existing 0.5 million lines (according to their estimation) bringing it up to 1 million. That would be just less than two thirds of the lines in the country. My question is: is this consistant with their promise to upgrade towns with 2,000 or more lines? Are there enough towns of this size to make up this figure?

Apart from the effect on business location decisions, wait till the greater unwashed finds out that Eircom are gonna cause absolute mayhem with the property market in the next 1.5 years or so. Thats gonna happen whether they publish the list of exchanges or not!

Its started Already if you look at the 4th or 5th post in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

That muck, or we all emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Again, you are missing the point that these 150 exchanges are covering a good amount of the population. A lot of exhanges cover small amounts of people.

You seem to be only looking at home users. You also have to take into account that there are pubs, shops, offices and businesses who'd like DSL. Some of these have 2 or 3 lines, coming into their premises. Larger places, of course, may have more. It is not impossible to reason that the figure you use could be doubled.

Maybe one of the reasons they dont list the exchanges in public is that they have to submit them to Comreg? Yes, you guessed it, we'll have to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Originally posted by Muck

Most unusual Captain, we have lost 45 towns between government strategies. Bye Bye to Gaoth Dobhair, Carlow, Portlaoise, Nenagh, Kildare, Bray, Naas, Navan, Drogheda,Greystones, Arklow, Carrick on Shannon and Loughrea
    to name a few that weren't villages last time I looked.

Bray has been upgraded for DSL already (there are people on I-Stream in Bray). Greystones, Navan and Drogheda have been upgraded for Esat's DSL. (It's on the list of upgraded exchanges on Esat's homepage: http://www.esatbt.com/esatcom/homepage/products_solutions/access/dsl/dsl-listofexchanges.htm). Some parts of Kildare are in the 01 area, I dunno anybody there with DSL yet, any Kildarians reading?

As for Carlow not being a village.....well.....that's for another board. :)

Celbridge is already up on Eircom's DSL.

Ahhhh

The list by stealth approach.

Is this one of the 40 in Dublin you mentioned earlier ?

/me cranks up Excel and waits !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

15,000 at least in both Naas and Newbridge. Is there DSL available there yet?

ring 1800 503303 and ask them

AFAIK No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would actually be surprised if they get around to 1m lines by September as per the press release. September 2004 is plenty of time to think up excuses - investment climate changed, not enough demand, etc. It would not be the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

christ this is more cynicism than miscrosoft would receive.
    it says 2000 lines. A someone else stated, this would include businesses as they would be the main users of dsl. a typical it business could have say 3 dsl lines so the figures would balance out roughly into having a town of 3000. A couple of exchanges could handle a small city. Their figures are feasible. Whether they'll reach them, we don't know yet. However, an objective approach would help some people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The figure of 6,000 is misleading on a number of grounds ((1)it doesn't include people outside the town and in nearby villages, but on the same exchange (2) of variances in the population:line ratio).

1.6m lines : 3.9m people = 2,000 lines : 4,875 people

And seeing as most businesses will be in the medium / bigger towns they will have a better population:line ratio, that number will drop more.

I concede :)

5000-6000 persons is the entry level for DSL.

Now where is that list, 100 exchanges are to be done in the next year and a half, there must be a list somewhere .....not a very long list either.

Puhhhhlease

M

No one knows what this list is going to be, Muck, but the link that I provided earlier, I'll link it here shows around 100 of Irelands biggest towns. If you are within 2 miles of the exchange, (and would cover a lot of people too who dont directly live in the town, as Victor said), then you stand a good chance. Only in really large towns or cities will you have they have 2 exchanges, and these have already been targetted first.

If 100 exchanges more are to be wired, then this list would be as good a guide as we'll get from Eircom for now.

Advertisement