Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

86% of Eircom Exchanges will NOT have Broadband before September 2004

Options
  • 23-01-2003 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

The Eircom Press Release on Thursday 230103 stated that 150 out of a total of 1100 Eircom exchanges in Ireland, will have Broadband (ADSL) by September 2004 See Text Of Press Release , (look at the year :D)

This means 950 exchanges will NOT have Broadband by September 2004

Thats 86% of all Eircom exchanges.

Thats fabulous news. Is this part of the National Spacer Strategy or something ???????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Muck - you have a big brain.

Which of course makes a wholesale offering equally useless....if it's eircom offering at wholesale prices.

I'm still mulling this over but am coming to the conclusion - THIS HAS BEEN A BIG MEDIA SPIN FOR A COMPANY THAT WANTS TO BE SEEN AS OFFERING THE SUN MOON AND STARS BUT ACTUALLY OFFERING VERY LITTLE.

But I'm still trying very very hard to be optimistic - Dustaz has set the standard.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is the Octopus approach.... If an enemy gets near, squirt out ink and disturb the sand so that noone can tell whats going on and then make your escape...

*yawn*

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Muck
    out of a total of 1100 Eircom exchanges in Ireland
    Is there that many (full) exchanges?

Is there a list anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by DeVore
    This is the Octopus approach.... If an enemy gets near, squirt out ink and disturb the sand so that noone can tell whats going on and then make your escape...

*yawn*

DeV.

lol, but ya gotta admire them, when they bought the book of "Every Known Trick" they went for the Deluxe edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

can go **** themselves......more like.

The profits will continue to go to New York
    Originally posted by Victor
    Is there that many (full) exchanges?

Is there a list anywhere?

No there's no list, ask around to find out where yours is.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Surely Comreg can not support this type of mass market carpet bombing with little or no actual delivery?

This is more of a disgrace than not actually delivering the product itself - there is little to no content in the press release apart form saying rubbish about "leading Ireland forward...ohhh look at us , we are great....errr but you cant actually have anything... and if you can we dont know what the final price will be coz we have to get in a deliberate bun fight first"

Sorry Dustaz but someone just stole my cola bottles and my mood has not improved.....I'm waiting for a real offering from someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

They said EVERY town with a population of 2,000+ will be upgraded by September. If the 150 exchanges cover that, then I don't see the problem? Do you expect them to start in the smallest village and work into the city? Most ppl (it's fair to say) will be in a town of 2,000+. It's not the percentage of land they cover that matters, it's the percentage of the population. And I'm sure it isnt even worth their while to upgrade any exchange with less then 2,000 ppl, unless the takeup elsewhere is HUGE. I've been fairly critical of them, and will remain so. But it's common sense to start off where the most money can be made....

Originally posted by kamobe
    They said EVERY town with a population of 2,000+ will be upgraded by September.

The wording is a BIT subtle Kamobe.

Notes!

September 2004

They said towns with 2000+ Lines . the average household has 3 so that means 6000 People and you can be sure that an ISDN counts as 2 lines.

There are only about 120 towns in Ireland with a population of over 6000 PEOPLE so maybe I should say 88% and not 86%

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

We will only know when a full list of actual exchanges that exist is 'discovered/released/found/disclosed under some 'Dail Secrets Act' and then which areas they cover as Kamobe stated.

But if they say a million lines will be covered, can 150 exchanges cover a million lines ? ! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

They said towns with 2000+ Lines
    Okay :)

I stand by my point though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by crawler

Sorry Dustaz but someone just stole my cola bottles and my mood has not improved.....I'm waiting for a real offering from someone.

err, reducing the price of broadband by 50% can really put me in a bad mood sometimes as well :P

Muck, what percentage of people do those 87% of exchanges service? From the very start of the rollout, their plan has been to get to population centres first and work thier way down. It hasnt been the smoothest plan but its very similar to BT in the UK.
    There are also fairly large swathes of America unserviced by DSL.

People seem to be failing to see the enourmous importance of the announcement today. Eircom are reacting to competition. This new service is not because Ireland Offline asked them to do it, its a direct response to ESAT. Extrapolating from this, prices should continue to drop and new markets develop (new exchanges brought online quicker).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

What kamobe said.

How much of the population will be covered once the 150 exchanges are wired? Virtually every large town.

The actual percentage you should be concerned about is population coverage. A rough guess would say that around 60-70% would be covered by these 150 exchanges. That figure also include those people who are on a DSL exchange and wont pass a line test.

There are lots of exchanges in small areas, serving only a couple of hundred users.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by gurramok
    But if they say a million lines will be covered, can 150 exchanges cover a million lines ? ! :confused:
    Technically yes, whether it applies in this case, I don't know.

[edit] From the statement "eircom's DSL roll-out currently extends to 70 telephone exchanges and this will increase to approximately 110 exchanges by December 2003. This will equate to one million telephone lines covering the greater Dublin commuter area, provincial cities and large provincial towns. It will also cover all towns included in the government’s national spatial strategy. " So 110 exchanges = 1m lines (enabled but not activated for ADSL).[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

For God's sake, there are only a minuscule number of exchanges with large pops - for example Esat's 40 exchanges cover 25% of the number oif lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by DMC
    The actual percentage you should be concerned about is population coverage. A rough guess would say that around 60-70% would be covered by these 150 exchanges. That figure also include those people who are on a DSL exchange and wont pass a line test.
    Eircom in their press release say that 1 million lines will be covered. There are 1.6 million lines in the country so the 60 - 70 % would be approximately right.

In March 2002 Mary O'Rourke announced that there would be a 3 phase government plan to roll out Broaband to 67 Towns, the infamous Fibre Rings plan. In fairness , Eircom never committed to it in the first place.

The Eircom announcement today is that Broadband will be provided (slowly) to ALL towns named in the National Spacer Strategy which is summarised Here. (420k PDF)

The National Spacer Strategy mentions 22 Towns Only.

Most unusual Captain, we have lost 45 towns between government strategies. Bye Bye to Gaoth Dobhair, Carlow, Portlaoise, Nenagh, Kildare, Bray, Naas, Navan, Drogheda,Greystones, Arklow, Carrick on Shannon and Loughrea
    to name a few that weren't villages last time I looked.

Here is the List of what they committed to.

Dublin
    Cork
    Galway
    Limerick
    Waterford
    Dundalk
    Sligo
    Letterkenny
    Athlone

and!

Tuam
    Ballina
    Castlebar
    Cavan
    Monaghan
    Mullingar
    Tullamore
    Kilkenny
    Wexford
    Mallow
    Killarney
    Tralkee
    Ennis

That is the FULL list from €ircon until the end of September 2004 .

The eircom press release says
    By September 2004 the roll-out will extend to approximately 150 exchanges covering towns throughout Ireland with more than 2000 telephone lines.

Now there are more than 22 towns with 2000 phone lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

In March 2002 Mary O'Rourke announced that there would be a 3 phase government plan to roll out Broaband to 67 Towns
    The Eircom announcement today is that Broadband will be provided (slowly) to ALL towns named in the National Spacer Strategy

Mary O'Rourkes (spit) announcement was about getting fibre to the towns. Like just about everything O'Rourke has to do, it was all form, and no function (I was going to say all style and no substance, but after seeing this I can't use style in the same sentence as MoR!).

Eircoms announcemnts is about getting broadband to the _customer_.

That's a big difference.

Quotes I'd like to see:
    Mary O'Rourke: "Fibre Optics? Isn't that the stuff they use to make those shiny christmas trees with the coloured lights?"

Originally posted by DMC
    The eircom press release says

Now there are more than 22 towns with 2000 phone lines.

Some have more ISDN PRI's than others, is that 1, 2, 15 or 30 lines then ?

And they did 40 exchanges in Dublin alone ........so far........ that will go up to 70 by the end of september 2004......

leaving max 80 exchanges for the whole of the Bog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Guys, you're concentrating too hard on the line numbers. Look at the date. September 2004. That's 20 months away. Over a year and a half. Two exchanges a month. Please don't tell me that - overstaffed as they are - Eircom can only manage to upgrade two exchanges a month. FFS, I don't even know how to install a DSLAM but if you send me one with a manual I'll do it on my tod faster than that.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Guys, you're concentrating too hard on the line numbers. Look at the date. September 2004. That's 20 months away. Over a year and a half. Two exchanges a month. Please don't tell me that - overstaffed as they are - Eircom can only manage to upgrade two exchanges a month. FFS, I don't even know how to install a DSLAM but if you send me one with a manual I'll do it on my tod faster than that.

adam

Believe it or not, but I was told that Eircom is actually under staffed in terms of qualified engineers, it is the biddies that they are over staffed on.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

what about the exchanges that are installed for new estates? Tyrrelstown for example is a new estate and a new exchange was build for it. There is no way there will be over 2000 lines in the near futrure so does that mean we won't have DSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if Roscrea, Co. Tipp. has more than 2,000 lines installed? Or is there anyway to find out?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by fabien
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know if Roscrea, Co. Tipp. has more than 2,000 lines installed? Or is there anyway to find out?

Thanks

Earlier in the thread Muck suggested multiplying the number of lines by 3 to get the population of the towns which will be included. So 2000 lines = towns of approx 6000 people. When I googled "Roscrea" and "Population" it seems the population is somewhere between 4400 and 5200 (can't find it on www.cso.ie). So it suggests that the town is borderline. Depends on where the borders are i suppose. And I can't imagine that Glanbia/Ashbourne/Miza-Antigen have that many lines, not like you had a call centre or something.

Fingers crossed for you.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Here is the List of what they committed to.

Dublin
    Cork
    Galway
    Limerick
    Waterford
    Dundalk
    Sligo
    Letterkenny
    Athlone

and!

Tuam
    Ballina
    Castlebar
    Cavan
    Monaghan
    Mullingar
    Tullamore
    Kilkenny
    Wexford
    Mallow
    Killarney
    Tralkee
    Ennis

That is the FULL list from €ircon until the end of September 2004 .

It's a bit pathetic, to be honest. Letterkenny is the only town to get it in Co Donegal. Pfft :mad:

Pay no attention to that. The press release clearly stats that
    This will equate to one million telephone lines covering the greater Dublin commuter area, provincial cities and large provincial towns. It will also cover all towns included in the government?s national spatial strategy.

Its going to cover all those towns in the Spatial Stategy, and more.

Now, you could split infinitives as to what the definition of a line, but to the lay man, I would hold them to the fact that I have a telephone line. I don't care or understand how many twisted pairs of copper wire I have, I have a telephone line. So, if that is the case, and I would read it as that, places like Ardee, Castleblaney, really 4 or 5 towns per average sized county will be getting ADSL in that time frame. All would have one exchange per town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by De Rebel
    lol, but ya gotta admire them, when they bought the book of "Every Known Trick" they went for the Deluxe edition.

LOL PLd Rebel.. thats brilliant stuff.

In other news I recently found out that the exchange I am located on is actually DSL Enabled, and has been for at least a year. This is the Clontarf Exchange near to Clontarf Castle.

Every time I have rang eircom (about 4 times over the last year) I have been told that it has not been, and there are no plans to upgrade it. However I found out from the PC supplier of a local business that Wankcom came along, about a year ago, and installed a free DLS line into their premises.

All of their equipment was set up for their existing ISDN connections, and at the time there was no equivelant equipment to hook them up over DSL. OK their probably was, but it was too expensive for this business at that time. So the business basically told eircom that they didnt have a use for DSL at that time.

OK I dont know distances, but that business is about a 3 min walk from my home, and If you continue walking in the same direction, for a further 6 mins, you will reach the Clontarf exchange. Yes that business is on a straight line (road, almost as the crow flies) between my home and the local exchange. And I'm still told that it's not upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Earlier in the thread Muck suggested multiplying the number of lines by 3 to get the population of the towns which will be included. So 2000 lines = towns of approx 6000 people. When I googled "Roscrea" and "Population" it seems the population is somewhere between 4400 and 5200 (can't find it on www.cso.ie). So it suggests that the town is borderline. Depends on where the borders are i suppose. And I can't imagine that Glanbia/Ashbourne/Miza-Antigen have that many lines, not like you had a call centre or something.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks Muck, I eventually found the CSO figures, Roscrea Town has 5,478 souls in 2002, an increase of...288 in 6 years !! Anyway this definitely means "borderline"...I'll try to find out more about the number of lines.

If anyone wants to look up their town or city's population, there's a good list on the CSO website at http://www.cso.ie/census/excel%20tables/Table2.xls

Originally posted by DMC
    Pay no attention to that. The press release clearly stats that

Its going to cover all those towns in the Spatial Stategy, and more.

So, if that is the case, and I would read it as that, places like Ardee, Castleblaney, really 4 or 5 towns per average sized county will be getting ADSL in that time frame. All would have one exchange per town.

Ardee and Castleblaney :D You are an optimist alright DMC .

Ardee Urban Area 3568 persons (6071 including Rural) marginal !
    Castlebaney Urban Area 1884 persons including Rural.

You could prudently add the rural and the urban from Fabiens link below as they would be within 5km of the exchange in Ardee ........usually. You will then find that Eircom will not count the rurals districts around many of these towns because thats where they tend to deploy most of their pairgains along boreens.

Fabien Kindly Linked the Census Figures (jeez I spent ages on the CSO site thanks Fabien).

if your town has 6000 persons or so in an URBAN district according to the figures above you may start to feel a glimmer of optimism.

Here's Galway County

Athenry 2906 NO!
    Loughrea (Urban and Rural) 4832 NO!
    Tuam (on the list) (Urban and Rural) 6560 Yes
    Ballinasloe 5997 YES ...ESAT not Eircom
    Barna/Furbo (includes a bit of Knocknacarra) 7000 odd Probably

I left the rest out as they are not within an asses roar. Looks like the 6000 rule of thumb applies in Galway anyway.

This means that 2 Towns will benefit under the NEW arrangement in the whole of county Galway. Barna and Tuam. Galway City and Ballinasloe already had DSL.

M

• Advertisement

I'm very much a realist, and you are being very, very pesimistic, although in truth Blaney is too small, but I still hold it from the Press Release 150 exchanges is totally achieveable and is Eircom's goal!

If you look at this list here, based on the census of last year, it shows clearly that there are around 90-100 towns with a population of around 2000 or more. Some of these are already done.

Now lets to some real math.

40 exchanges in Dublin,
    2 in Cork
    2 in Galway
    1 a piece in Sligo, Athlone, Killarney, Tralee etc.
    Each town has an exchange........

50 or so wired, 100 to go? Thats the plan!

Its hard to give up the IrelandOFFLine habit, Muck. :rolleyes:

Advertisement