Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The West Wing

Options
  • 10-01-2003 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

The West Wing is the best drama on TV.

Its a bold statment I know. But are there peopel out there that aggree with me. I have been reading the Overview for the comming series and it looks better than ever.

Really, I cant remember when I saw a show wtitten with such thought and skill even 6 feet under doesnt compare.

the only other show on TV i enjoy so much is Teachers and thats a comedy.

Wadda ya think ?..everyone must admit the world would be a much better place is Martin sheen was really the Prez of america instead of that other feckin monkey.
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

sheer flawless tv!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Zachary Taylor

Yes. Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Thanks for the support guys.

Ill probally post here on friday raving about another excellent episode of the "wing" ..I would look forward to your comments too !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I used to watch the show more frequently. It is a great TV show but....................outside the control of its makers - RTE puts it on at crazy times. I think that if they put it on at9pm or so - it would get an audience. I think TV3 make better use of the shows they have.

RTE putting on the West Wing around 11pm is just bad scheduling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What a great show - It (& The Sopranos) are really worth staying in for. Last year, when E4 were about 6 weeks behind RTE with the third series, it got really complicated to make sure I got to watch them in the right sequence. But now that E4 have finished the third series, I can jump to RTE for the 4th series - Cool....

• Advertisement

yeah. sadly for me I try to go to bed around 11 because I get up at 6am for work. at the west wing starts at 10.40 PM
    But its well worth staying up for.

Agreed RTE do not make the most of their possible viewer base
    but then at least they will never conflict with any other prime shows that might be on...I live with 2 girls and I think
    stupid OLD SLAPPERS IN THE CITY is on at 9.

Anyone watch the West wing last night?

More great Tv the only dissapointing thing was the soppy ending.
    I hate when Toby isnt being angry and bull headed. it what he does best. I reckon that new secratery will be a good laugh.

what did you guys think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The West Wing is great.

It moves along so quickly and intertwines so many good sub-plots that it never gets boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

There was a version of the Boontown Rats "I don't Like Mondays" on the West Wing Last night?

Who was singing it?

I tought "Brothers in Arms" also featured recently. This is also a class song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

That version of I Don't Like Mondays was sung by Tori Amos. It is from her CD Strange Little Girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lemondrop

think its a great show always something happening!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I have the box set of seies one as I only really got into the show in series three. The box set is well worth getting if you have not seen the first series. Also I find it is the kind of show you can watch several times, so you will use the box set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

i love it! and yes, the music, when its there, is always sooo very good. gosh,even aimee mann, and a jeff buckley song...

and such good characters ..

.. and such good scriptwriting ...

god bless america ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by dera
    god bless america ;o)
    And it's inept, confused and slow moving government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

absolutely.
    if they were less confused, more ept (!) and efficient they'd be truly terrifying :)

god bless america ;o)

or at least bless the america that Jed Bartlett runs
    The real one is run by a giant monkey and someone stole his
    banana...angry little boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

absolutely.
    if they were less confused, more ept (!) and efficient they'd be truly terrifying :)
    I find the idea of a monkey having nuclear weaons at his immediate disposal more terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm a huge West Wing fan! :D

I always miss shows that I want to watch on TV, so I don't follow them from week to week, but my brother bought seasons 1 - 3 a good while ago, so I have a habit of watching them all the time :D He has season 4, too, actually, and I just finished that a few weeks ago, so I've downloaded all of season 5! About half way through them, then I'll go onto 7.

Love the show! It's a shame that Rob Lowe didn't stay, Sam was my favourite in it. Does anyone else think that Leo looks like Moe Cyzlak from the Simpsons? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Dude, wtf? This thread is nearly 3 years old.. but you are 100% correct!

The whole second season is amazing. Just amazing, no other words for it. I spent most of my leaving cert watching it over and over. Two Cathedrals has to be the best 40 minutes in drama ever.

Also good are:

2x1+2 - In the Shadow of Two Gunmen
    2x5 - And it's surely to their credit [Tribby and the cricket bat!]
    Shibboleth, Galileo, the Portland Trip.. they're all brilliant!

Season 1 is deadly as well, particularly the intro to "He Shall, From Time To Time"..

FADE IN: INT. PRESS BRIEFING ROOM - NIGHT
    Bartlet and his staff are preparing for the State of the Union address. The President, from behind the podium, reads the speech from the TelePrompTer.

BARTLET
    With nearly 18 million new jobs, wages rising at more than twice the rate of inflation, the highest home ownership in history, the smallest welfare rolls in 30 years and the lowest peacetime unemployment since 1957. [beat] I stand before you to report that America has created the longest peacetime economic expansion in our history. For the first time in three decades, the budget is balanced. From a deficit of 290 million dollars just ten years ago...

TOBY
    Billion dollars.

Toby interrupts the President. Leo is seated beside him.

BARTLET
    What?

TOBY
    290 billion.

BARTLET
    What’d I say?

TOBY
    You said million, but let’s move on.

BARTLET
    I said million?

TOBY
    Yep.

BARTLET
    [clears throat] From a deficit of 290 billion dollars, just ten... it says “million”
    on the TelePrompTer, by the way.

TOBY
    Sam?

Sam is behind them controlling the TelePrompTer with several White House staffers.

SAM
    Our fault.

BARTLET
    L-Let’s take it back... ...And how do we make the American dream of opportunity a reality for all? I came to this hallowed chamber one year ago... and I see we’re spelling “hallowed” with a pound sign in the middle of it?

SAM
    We’ll fix that.

BARTLET
    The pound sign is 'silent'?

LEO
    Move on, Mr. President.

BARTLET
    I came to this hallowed chamber one year ago on a mission: to restore the American dream for all our people, as we gaze at the vast horizon of possibilities open to us in the 321st century... Wow, that was ambitious of me, wasn’t it?

LEO
    Let’s take a break.

BARTLET
    We meant “stronger” here, right?

SAM
    What’s it say?

BARTLET
    I’m proud to report our country’s stranger than it was a year ago?

SAM
    That’s a typo.

BARTLET
    Could go either way.

Always good.

lol, sorry, I searched the forums so that I wouldn't have to post a new thread :p I didn't look at the date :o

That's pretty funny too :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I own seasons 1 -5 on DVD. I don't watch television at all, but I frequently pick up the DVD sets of good shows. Seasn 6 is out n September 26th, the same day as Sin City. I shall be buying both. It was my second favourite show behind a Band of Brothers (which only has twelve episodes, amking it a special case), until I watched all five seasons of the Sopranos, which I finished just an hour ago. Seson three is the best in my opinion, and this is coming from someone who has seen eery episode in the first three seasons at least three times, some more than that. My favourite episode is Bartlet for America, although there are about a dozen contenders for that title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

i love this tv show. I own all of the series too. Even got my "Bartlet for America" t shirt and my "Vote For Santos" t shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dodgy1

Dear Nightwish,
    just joined and you've caught my intrigue.
    i'm sure you've been asked before but did u compose ur signature yourself?

vis a vis west wing, love it too,

ever see the one where josh is driven nuckin' futs by the loons on the forum "lemonlyman.com", funny ****.

never been on a msgboard before, this place instntly reminded me of that episode.

how did you develop such a detailed taste in music if i may ask Nightwish? :)

dodgy1 wrote:
    Dear Nightwish,
    just joined and you've caught my intrigue.
    i'm sure you've been asked before but did u compose ur signature yourself?

vis a vis west wing, love it too,

ever see the one where josh is driven nuckin' futs by the loons on the forum "lemonlyman.com", funny ****.

never been on a msgboard before, this place instntly reminded me of that episode.

how did you develop such a detailed taste in music if i may ask Nightwish? :)

my signature was not composed by my good self, but, by the revered and god-like (IMO) Tuomas Holopainen. My taste in music developed from being interested in all things gothic.

and back on topic, that episode of The West Wing with lemonlyman.com is one of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes a very good show although I do feel the departure of Aaron Sorkin at the end of Season 4 was a pity and IMO subsequent seasons have been weaker. Nevertheless it maintains a high quality of script and characterisation. RTE's scheduling of it is appalling and it deserves a 9.25 or at worst 10.15 slot. Season 7 in the US at the end of September.

http://www.tv.com/the-west-wing/show/189/episode_guide.html&season=7

season 6 redeemed itself after the god-awful season 5. Without Aaron Sorkin, it kinda went into a tailspin, but it picked up this year with the nominations, and CJ being made chief of staff

SANTOS FOR PRESIDENT

^
    Maybe a spoiler warning for that post... :(

:(

Did Aaron Sorkin not direct series 5? I didn't notice anything different about it, tbh... I guess I'm just not very observant, lol. Why didn't he direct it, and who did?

DaveMcG wrote:
    ^
    Maybe a spoiler warning for that post... :(

:(

Did Aaron Sorkin not direct series 5? I didn't notice anything different about it, tbh... I guess I'm just not very observant, lol. Why didn't he direct it, and who did?

"Creative differences" at the end of Season 4 led to him going.

Oh I see... isn't it his show, though? lol. The differences have been resolved, I gather... Who took over while he was gone?

• Advertisement

He is just the creator. NBC replaced him. Story Here.
    Google for more on it.

Advertisement