Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL residential package?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Muck
    ESAT provision backhaul in multiples of 2Mb timeslots so if there are 8 persons with a 256k connection on a given 2Mb cable the contention is precisely 0

the contention ratios will start to bite as more connections are provisioned on that 2Mb connection.

I suspect that Eircom also provision in 2Mb units as well.

Hmm, so what your saying is that the pipe to the dslam will be either 2mb or 4mb or what ever, and just say you got eircoms 1mb service it would be 24:1 sharing a 4mb pipe? its 512k service would be 24:1 sharing 2mbs and its new service would be 50:1 sharing 2mbs. This sounds pretty acurate to me, you can't blame us for getting the figures abite mudled since eircom and esat dont make this info easy to obtain, and going by that eircom adsl pdf, if would be understandable to think the pipe was equal to the service provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Muck
    ESAT provision backhaul in multiples of 2Mb timeslots so if there are 8 persons with a 256k connection on a given 2Mb cable the contention is precisely 0
    Certainly if you're the only one on the exchange you're laughing. But ESAT aren't quoting 50:1 ratios for the good of their health.

Originally posted by longword
    Certainly if you're the only one on the exchange you're laughing. But ESAT aren't quoting 50:1 ratios for the good of their health.
    I dont think it works that way either, I'm pretty sure you only share your pipe with the 24 or 50 other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Boston
    I dont think it works that way either, I'm pretty sure you only share your pipe with the 24 or 50 other people.
    Nah, it makes lots and lots of sense to merge all of the bandwidth heading for a given exchange. The more they do that, the smoother the ride for the users and the better they can take advantage of idle users. But overall the ratio is still going to be around the 50:1 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Has anybody got any links to forums or someplace where people on a DSL connection with a contention ratio of 50:1 are having problems with slow downloads etc?

Rather than the old Boston-tastic of "Belive me, people on 50:1 give out about it", is there any site where people actually have posted up problems they're having? (Kind of like the NTHELL site except for DSL maybe?)

• Advertisement

longword it makes sense, but i have to agree with dustaz and say that its at least not shared between users on different services and i dare say the pipe going to each Dslam is fixed.

Now i know this is not England and all but i was talking about this to someone, and they said the way bt works is BT share a 10Mbps pipe with up to 1000 users for a 50:1 contention and only put 500 users on each 10Mbps pipe for a 25:1 contention. Can anybody confirm or denie if this is also the case in ireland.

Son of Blam The problem is it would only takes 20 users using their full bandwidth 24/7 to start introducing contention on this pipe and then everybody else would feel it. When i used to browse english sites i came accross loads of people moaning about the download speeds at peak times and off peak. Bt have a 50:1 ratio.

Here some examples
    Petition article Bt suck.org Gamers talk about BT ADSL Modem type speed

On a side note, does anybody know the max number of ports on each eircom DSLAM. I think the standard is 894 ports, so im wondering how they plane to over 50:1 service if that is the case. unless they are using some kind of dynamic port distributor.

Does anybody know what part if any Port distributors play in eircoms adsl service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

In the UK, the contention ratio is 50.1 on paper. In reality its about 10.1. Contention ratios are not a major issue as user experience will testify too.

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    In the UK, the contention ratio is 50.1 on paper. In reality its about 10.1. Contention ratios are not a major issue as user experience will testify too.

Well I've heard different about BT. Allot of other ISP's have 24:1 ratio's on there basic service and this wouldnt be a problem for most people. I think most people realise that over a certain level, contention ratios do become a major issue. Now if you live in the middel of no where, or an estate full of granies and only ever use the intraweb at night, then I'm sure that 50:1 will be just great.

Time will proof we right or wrong, within a month of this service going online there will be people here moaning about speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Can we lock this thread until some concrete information comes to light?

This forum has enough baseless speculation as it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement