Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Ahern Launches Draft Policy Direction to ComReg

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

The draft encompasses the strongest possible language that the minister can use

Well then read it again..
    an dont try imagine what you think it means. it says what it says and is simply restating what we already know and mandates noting. It tells comreg to do its job which is by the same rules the ODTR was doing its job (or lack there of)
    if you break it down.. unless new powers are issued to comreg to support the directive, not alot can happen. (i have sent a responce to the minister in this respect)
    We might see a flate rate product in jan or we may not, but it will not! be because of comreg actively pressing for it, but because, some other! interested party be it esat, utvip or other, has shown interest in providing such a product and have "requested" that comreg get involved
    As far as eircom is concerned, if no one shows an interest in providing a product, Eircom shure as hell wont! and comreg dont have any powers to demand that they do!?
    Another thing to concider is that regulator here does not act on behalf of consumers (as it can in UK) but only on behalf of business. so we as consumer dont have anyone to fight for us in this respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JimHacker

In reply to the above - the policy direction from teh Minister eminates fromt he Communications Act and has legfal status. If COMREG acts contrary to the direction that catr is legally challangable. In addition, the Minister has stated - on Newstalk 106 and elsewhere that he belives COMREG has the powers to mandate FRIACo. I believe this is the case - so does essentially anyone I have spoken to who has read the legislation etc. This Direction as I see it, is the Minister telling CopmReg to get off their arses and get the work done,

If ComReg cannot do this WITHIN ONE MONTH they must state why not. In IOFLS reply to the draft policy direction you should insist that the ComReg reply to the One Month FRIACO Direction must be made public.

The main point you seem to miss is this - the Irish telecoms market is a liberalised market with no state control but a regulater.
    Clearly the regulater is NOT doing her job and therefore the Minister is stepping in - he shouldnt have to (as I see it).

Its silly (and lazy and and simplistic and pointless) fopr people in here to keep rattkling of simplisms such as "the govt has to bring broadband into every house in the country"- govt is NOT a telco. The liberalised market was to look after demand - that is is not it due 1. to the global economic downturn 2.to an ineffectual regulator who doen not use her powers 3. demographic patterns in oireland - it would be great if we all lived together in neat little appartment blocked as in korea - byut we dont.

Start trying to be part of the solution - moaning is too easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

COMREG has the powers to mandate FRIACo. I believe this is the case

You can believe that the sun wont shine tomorrow, that dont make it so..

If you read my previouse posts all of them!
    You will notice that the regulator is re-active and not pro-active and has always stated it cannot intervien untill it is approached buy third parties (business) and cannot! mandate anything.
    the only time it has any power is when it is requested! to attend meetings and then its only power is to set a wholesale price
    Start trying to be part of the solution - moaning is too easy
    I have been in constant contact with to ODTR/Comreg and the ministers office and other gov dpts since the campaign started and this is the current status.. anyone that believes! otherwise is delusional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I concur with the theory that Ahern is right and Doyle is wrong.

As she is the one who may be sucessfully sued (and therefore look incompetent), and not Ahern, I sympathise with her but only slightly!

She also has the responsibility for Consumer Law in respect of Telecoms . Carmel Foley in the ODCA is EXPILICITLY not responsible for credit and telecoms according to the consumer credit act 1994 or 1995 .

In her lesser known role as a Consumer Rights enforcer Etain can set a minimum standard known as a Universal Service Obligation which is a charter of Basic Rights for all consumers of the Telecom products licenced by her.

She is very busy with competition gobble and with technobabble but shows very little empathy for the ultimate bill payer.... the consumer...who also pays for her unusually large office with 120 staff through levies on turnover.

Refocusing her office towards the consumer is not inimicable to the national interest, one of the many reasons why her risible USO document of 4 years ago is long overdue a makeover.

M

Advertisement