Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disturbing films...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Dont Look Now - god that little woman in the red coat......
    The Shining - those twins are particularly awful.. the splice of them in the hall chopped up... nice..
    Full Metal Jacket - still freaks me out every time
    The Birds - so scared of crows now
    2001 A Space Odyssey - the end messed with my head to a serious extent
    A Clockwork Orange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing I have watched ever gave me the willies, but one did cause me to stop the tape and take 5 mins then press play. And I still
    dont know why it had the effect it did.

Being a Nic Roeg film might explain it, the film was Insignificance
    and the moment in question was when Senator McCarthy hit Marilyn Monroe in the stomach out of the blue. If this sounds strange you're right, you dont know what the film, look it up. I felt it myself, it was a shocking moment.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

the cell with jennifer lopez made me feel wierd...
    not really scared but more anxious and just wierd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

" The day they gave children away "

set in the deppression in america, The eldest child of 7 has to orgainse the splitting up of his family and ask neighbours and distant relatives to take hims brothers and sisters, for the mother has died and the father went way to find work and never came back.

As the eldest of five it ****ing terrifed me that if anything was to happen to my parents before I was 20 we could all be split up.
    Any film that protrays a real life fear will haunt you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

saw predator when I was a young lad (12?) and that scared the bejeesus out of me. The bit at the end when he takes his mask off....argh. Also the tension in terminator at the end when arnie has all his skin burnt off and he's chasing them down that corridor, excellent.

(your all probably gonna moan about this one) Signs. I thought it was brilliant. Very creepy, the mood was brilliant So tense. As with great horrors you see very little of the bad guy/ghost/alien till the end.

Also agree with event horizon (popular one this one). scareee

Ape

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Thaed
    " The day they gave children away "

set in the deppression in america, The eldest child of 7 has to orgainse the splitting up of his family and ask neighbours and distant relatives to take hims brothers and sisters, for the mother has died and the father went way to find work and never came back.

I remember watching some documentary before where they were studying tears and they used this film to make people cry. Holy crap but did it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ichi the killer is ment to be very disturbing
    havent seen it myself
    gummo was disturbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

requiem for a dream, ring 1+2 , event horizon and audition

haven't seen it but heard donnie darko was pretty gruesome

p.s. i nearly forgot hee hee MAN BITES DOG :eek:

edit :

beware it's up there with the eraserhead illegals in that shop off talbot street, wes craven's debut film

"LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT" makes all the above look like a walk in the park , scary demented ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

The film that most freaked me out had to be Event horizon, i went to see that in the cinema and walking home through a pitch black field was not the right thing to do.

other than that any movie with jennifer lopez disturbs me as i cant figure out why they still let her try to act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

yeah signs actually freaked me out a little aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

A Clockwork Orange
    City of Lost Children
    Midnight Cowboy
    Once were warriors
    Trainspotting

All for different reasons. Good thread as it has given me a new list of films to see.

I take it that Rings is not available in Chartbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I saw Ring about 3 months ago, and I got it from Chartbusters....

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by thegills
    A Clockwork Orange
    City of Lost Children
    Midnight Cowboy
    Once were warriors
    Trainspotting

All for different reasons. Good thread as it has given me a new list of films to see.

once were warriors was pretty disturbing alright.
    i think chopper was too, damn memory's not working properly tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 neiko

I thought Lost Highway by David Lynch did it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Clockwork Orange
    Platoon (was 11 when I first saw this)
    La Vie Revee des Anges(dream life of angels)
    Schindler's List
    The Rat Catcher
    Dasvidania Ruska

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I found Company of Wolves very disturbing when I was about 7.... watched part of it again recently and I can see why :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

the general's daughter really disturbed me, some of the scenes in that were horrible

dancer in the dark made me cry like a baby

and yeah, that scene in silence of the lambs 2 horrifies me, even though ill still watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Cant beleave anyone has said it (from what I have read)

Stephen Kings "IT"

Think I was about 5 or 6 when I first seen it... NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I found it kinda amusing reading down through the thread when people were saying Event horizon n so forth, those films have no effect on me at all... the one film that did get to me was (don't laugh) The Others!

it just reawoke in me some childhood fears which i'd rather not have remebered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

requiem for a dream
    ring 1+2
    event horizon
    8mm

these films are just off the scale f**ked up , and now that i think about it "IT" although i havent seen it for years was warped.
    and i ask myself why do i have all these films (apart from "IT") on either vhs or dvd , does this make me weird?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Tim Roth's directorial début, "The War Zone" was disturbing, deeply disturbing.
    Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Funny Games
    Agreed, brilliant movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

the second sequel to Once were warriors is What becomes of the broken hearted would have to be added to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Tim Roth's directorial début, "The War Zone" was disturbing, deeply disturbing.

Yes I remember seeing it in London and a couple of people left during "that" scene...

Another one with Ray Winstone is Nil by Mouth. It's pretty grim stuff.

Also I think Event Horizon has been blown out of all proportion on this thread. It seemed to me that it was just an Alien rip-off Check out my list (posted previously) for some seriously disturbing movies...

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by thegills
    A Clockwork Orange
    City of Lost Children
    Midnight Cowboy
    Once were warriors
    Trainspotting

Just out of interest, why Midnight Cowboy? I think it's an excellent movie, pretty downbeat but I wouldn't have said disturbing.

Man Bites Dog is probably the most disturbing movie I've seen in awhile, Texas Chainsaw Massacre had it's moments too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

so I think Event Horizon has been blown out of all proportion on this thread. It seemed to me that it was just an Alien rip-off

Indeed I only caught it when TV3 screened it and even then I was'nt intending to watch it, but I stuck with it and found it great fun, impossible to take seriously on any other level then the comic book level.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

This is Syd_Vicious speaking...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the film Patrick yet.

I puked all over the living room floor when I saw the scene where he ate the baby. Damn that was disgusting!

The Hellraiser series was also very disturbing. The scene where the man was making out with the demon was freaky.

I didn't really enjoy IT that much especially when it turns out that IT was a giant spider. That was really stupid.

This has been Syd_Vicious speaking...

Event Horizon. Saw it when I was 11 on my own at about half twelve at night. Freaky. I had to put the light on I was so freaked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

IT scared the crap out of me when I first saw it.

Event Horizon is a bit disturbing alright but I dont know why it always gets mentioned maybe I should watch it again, I havent seen it in a while.

I kind of found 15 Minutes a little bit disturbing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by neiko
    I thought Lost Highway by David Lynch did it for me.
    Me too.

I first watched it alone in a dark room at about 2 or 3 in the morning. It was the first David Lynch film I'd ever seen and it not so much scared but really disturbed me.

I've become a huge fan of David Lynch since. Nobody does stuff quite like him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I don't think I've ever been very disturbed by a film(I thought event horizon was funny and ring was plain cool), but Jin-Roh was pretty ****ed up. It's an anime, but it's damn realistic. Seeing a woman getting eaten by wolves did make me cringe. The most depressing film ever, I'm fairly sure of it.

Advertisement