Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disturbing films...

Options
  • 18-11-2002 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

What films that you have seen evoked an emotional response beyond the ordinary?

Leaning toward the dark side, I'm not talking about films that excited you, or sent you on your way with a 'feel good factor'. I'm talking about the strong stuff: a film that makes you almost uneasy- a 'disturbing film'.

My nominations in this category are: "Requiem for a Dream" and the classic "Blue Velvet".

What are yours?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Event Horizon, and Ring (Japanese Version).....

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Funny Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I just saw Ring last night - fucking excellent movie. Ive heard Requiem for a Dream is quite disturbing. To tell the truth though, I dont think ive been disturbed by a film since I watched 'The Last Unicorn' when I was 4 - the red bull scared me shitless (probably still would if i saw it again). Ive probably been desensitised by the internet.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Originally posted by Asuka
    Requiem for a Dream is quite disturbing.

...really done my head in... and after that I had to have a smoke... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Audition
    Man Bites Dog
    Bowling For Columbine

Audition has the nastiest scene i have ever seen in a movie.
    Man Bites Dog lures you in and smacks you hard near the end.
    Bowling For Columbine, maybe because i only saw it last night, but it brought a lot of emotions to the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Ring *really* freaked me out.. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ichi The Killer.

Sick! But good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Event Horizon.

it's alll in the mind......

and the ending of the last "Planet of the Apes" film (where the apes go to earth).

The little kid voice at the end with the black screen

that haunts me every time I recollect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I'd agree with "man bites dog".

Also "Crumb" is pretty f*cked up.
    As is "Bad boy bubby".

"Henry - Portrait of a serial killer" is very grim and leaves a pretty bad taste in your mouth.

"The idiots" is quite off putting. In fact most things by Lars von trier are disturbing. "Breaking the waves" and "Dancer in the Dark".

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Eraserhead

..brrrr...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by ozpass
    What films that you have seen evoked an emotional response beyond the ordinary?

Man Bites Dog
    - made me literally vomit in disgust...

Jaws
    - terrified me enough that I didn't sleep for 3 or 4 days... mind you, I was only 4 or 5 years old at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by davej
    "The idiots" is quite off putting. In fact most things by Lars von trier are disturbing. "Breaking the waves" and "Dancer in the Dark".
    "The Kingdom" is also pretty insane - think of crossing ER with the Shining - a ghostly hospital run from the deeps by a couple of kids with down syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

- 8mm
    - Apt pupil
    - Requim for a Dream

probably a few more to come.... good thread btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Angel Heart, christ that is one seriously messed up film.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

No full fims except for Jaws I guess as it also scared me sitless for years. For some wierd reason we would watch it every week just before we went swimming in the sea. Probably watched it every week for 5 years.

The scene that has disturbed me the most is the brain scene from silence of the Lambs 2. Crap film but that scene really got to me for quite a while. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

3 films leapt to mind here. The Ring was a particularily disturbing film. I'd have to admit to sleeping very uneasily after that.

The other 2 are the original version of The Fly (in particular the end : "Help me! Help me!" <shudder>) and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. That boat scene was nasty. Grand when I was a kid but not so nice as an adult for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

The crying game ****ing disturbed meh!

fringe 80's vampire flicks are not good to be watched when you are 12 years old!

Ring and to a lesser extent Ring 2

Videodrome was the first david croeneburg??? film i saw and i was a bit shook when thinking back over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Films that gave me the willies are as follows:

1. Event Horizon
    I went to see this film knowing absolutely nothing about it. Man, scared the bejaysus out of me.

2. Scanners
    Saw this when I was about 12 or so. Very disturbing film

3. Hellraiser,
    Again, I was young when I first saw it. Gross movie even by todays standards.

3. The Dead Zone
    Good movie, Christopher Walken was class. Again, saw this when I was younger. The scene where the guy commits suicide by head butting a scisors. Not very pleasant.

4. The Shining
    I saw this when I was about 22. It's a really disturbing movie.

There are others, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Oliver Stone's first movie, Seizure (scared the crap out of me 1st time i watched it)
    Jacob's Ladder was also disturbing at times

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

One film that always sticks in my mind in this category is The Cook , The Thief and Her Lover ( or something like that ...... ) Michael Gambon was sensational as the evil b****** !

The dinner scene was the best.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by TinCool
    2. Scanners
    Saw this when I was about 12 or so. Very disturbing film
    The exploding head freaked me out... totally unexpected when I saw it first! I think it was on late one night on Channel 4 (when C4 was 'cool'!)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Naked - Mike Leigh, David Thewlis is excellent as Johnny, I saw this a few years ago and have been having a hard time trying to get a hold of a copy of it on video.

Naked Lunch - David Cronenburg, Jesus those phucked up typewriters eeeuuuwww!!

I know I have more but I just can't think of them now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Event Horizon and Ring - for obvious, conventional reasons.

I watched The Omen when I was about 10 or so and it scared the bejesus out of me. The joys of a catholic upbringing :)

In terms of films I just found disturbing, rather than frightening as such... 8mm, Grave of the Fireflies and Battle Royale are up there. BR less so - it's a lot more fundamentally entertaining than the other two and hence has less impact on the "disturbing" front, but it's still up there in a lot of ways. I have a couple of friends who were VERY freaked out by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

watched ring last nite jesus what a film

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

'once were warriors'
    'Jesus christ superstar'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Ring was bland

Eraserhead , Requiem for a Dream, Ichi the Killer, Dancer in the Dark almost made me cry , Man Bites dog is good too

I have most of these on dvd, I also have Audition and must get round to seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Anything by David Lynch. Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive especially. Its just so menacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Sleepy hollow made me feel weird the other night on tv!
    Also as a kid jaws freaked me a little,full metal jacket springs to mind too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

"Girl, Interrupted" definitely had an effect on me. I enjoyed it but found parts of it difficult to watch.

Advertisement