Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 to read before the apocalypse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmeliaO

I suppose it's all a matter of taste; I just finished Caleb Williams by William Godwin & Bleak House by Charles Dickens and they blew my mind! I would recommend Caleb Williams as the better of the two though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

AmeliaO wrote: »
    I suppose it's all a matter of taste; I just finished Caleb Williams by William Godwin & Bleak House by Charles Dickens and they blew my mind! I would recommend Caleb Williams as the better of the two though!
    A matter of taste is right! Bleak House is one of my very, very favourite books in the whole wide world, whereas I found Caleb Williams unbearably dreadful and wearisome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Solidarity

I've only got one major book - Wuthering Heights.
    Without a doubt an amazing read.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

There are too many good books to limit it to ten! I'll give you a few I can think of at the moment, though.

Animal Farm
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Catch 22
    LOTR
    Dante's Divine Comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Hamlet
    Wuthering Heights
    The Picture of Dorian Gray
    Romeo and Juliet
    Macbeth
    Twelfth Night
    Alice in Wonderland
    In the Lake of the Woods
    To Kill a Mockingbird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Having just recently finished this amazing book I would have to include 'The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman' by Laurence Sterne in this list

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

WickedWest wrote: »
    There are too many good books to limit it to ten! I'll give you a few I can think of at the moment, though.

Animal Farm
    Catch 22
    LOTR
    Dante's Divine Comedy
    Why did you only list 5 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

WickedWest wrote: »

Animal Farm
    Catch 22
    LOTR
    Dante's Divine Comedy
    fusuf wrote: »
    Why did you only list 5 then?

The answer to your question is in bold above

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robbie7171

Here is my humble contribution.....
    The old man and the sea...Hemmingway
    Tortilla flat...Steinbeck
    To kill a mocking bird....Lee
    1984.....Orwell
    The lord of the rings...Tolkein
    Fight club...Palaniuk
    The life of Pi.....Martell
    The grapes of wrath....Steinbeck
    Trainspotting....Welsh
    A prayer for Owen Meaney......Irving

....so many books, so little time

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

Personally, if the apocalypse was coming I want to read the books that brought me the most pleasure rather than neccesarily the best literature. So as a lover of non-fiction and fiction here is my top 10 books that for some reason or other I enjoyed most and have resonated with me the longest
    • Count of Monte Cristo - simply the most enjoyable reading experience fo my life. Nearly cried when I finished it
    • Matilda by Roald Dahl - as a kid I read this over and over. Maybe as a nerdy kid with evil teachers something resonated. Little concerned by how excited I was when i heard Tim Minchin had made a musical version!
    • Rubicon by Tom Holland - best work of narriative history I have ever read. Incredible history of the last days of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Empire.
    • Lords of Finance - by Liaquat Ahamed. History of the Great Depression (the last one, not this one) told by examining the 4 most powerful Central Bankers. Superbly written and its amazing how many insights in to todays crisis can be gleaned. If only Merkel read this she would have changed her mind on austerity long ago.
    • The Stand - Stephen King. Read this as a kid and would stay up all night due to a) enjoying the book and b) terror. Spawned a lifelong love of apocalypse fiction!
    • The Miracle of St. Anthony's by Adrian Wojnarowski . The story of an American High School basketball team and its Coach who has been responsible for hundreds of underpriviliged kids making it to college. Wojnarowski follows them for one unbelievable season. It is to my mind the greatest sports book ever written and I have read a LOT of great sports books.
    • Open by Andre Agassi. Incredibly honest autobiography and one which gave me incredible motivation to sort out things I need to sort out. I must have reread one passage about how Agassi summed the strenght to build his career back a thousand times.
    • Team of Rivals by Dorothy Kearns Goodwin. Story of Lincoln and how he turned his rivals into his strongest cabnet allies. Obamas inspiration behind making Hillary Sec of State. Very well told and immensly enjoyable.
    • The Perfect Mile by Neal Bascomb. Story of 3 runners competing to break the 4 minute mile barrier. Despite knowing how it ends you find yourslef routing for them all! Reads like the best fiction. Incredibly gripping and the book I have passed on to more people than any other. And they all absolutely loved it!
    • More than a gmae: football v apartheid by Henry Corr. Rugby may have helped heal South Africa by football helped prepare the prisoners of Robben Island for leadership
    Honourable mention goes to
    Garrincha by Rui Castros
    State of Africa by Martin Meridith
    Football against the enemy by Simon Kuper
    Donnie Brasco by Joe Pistone
    Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
    World War Z by Maz Brooks
    The Blind Side by Michael Lewis
    Imperium by Robert Harris
    The Godfather by Mario Puzo
    Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakeur
    Friday Night Lights - by H.G. Bissinger
    Hand of God by Jimmy Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

I'm not as well read as all of ye but anyway...

All Quiet On The Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
    H - Autobiography Of A Child Prostitute And Heroin Addict - Christiane F
    The Butcher Boy - Patrick McCabe
    Perfume - Patrick Suskind
    Guerilla Days In Ireland - Tom Barry
    Borstal Boy - Brendan Behan
    Confessions Of An Irish Rebel - Brendan Behan
    Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Heart Of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
    Go Ask Alice
    The Manchester Martyrs - Joseph O'Neil

... I just listed eleven. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

GunRunner wrote: »
    Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Great call. A disturbing (and funny) read.

"I am a sick man.... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man."

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

On the road -Jack Kerouac
    The old man and the sea - Ernest Hemingway
    Brave new world - Aldous Huxley

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Tender is the night - Fitzgerald
    Catch 22 - Heller
    The Outsider - Camus
    The Heart is a lonely hunter - McCullers
    The Old man and the sea - Hemmingway
    Memoir - McGahern
    As I lay dying - Faulkner
    Appointment in Samarra - O'Hara
    A Clockwork orange - Burgess

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Great thread, OP. This is fairly off the cuff and I will, most probably, be back to do some trade mongering. Poetry, drama and graphic novels are included, because, well, I simply can't leave them out. Here goes:

The Man Without Qualities - Musil
    Arcadia - Stoppard (or anything by Tom Stoppard really)
    Hamlet - Shakespeare
    Geek Love - Dunn
    Brave New World - Huxley
    Howl - Allen Ginsberg
    The Impossibility of an Island - Houellebecq (again, anything by Houellebecq)
    Maus - Spiegelman
    A Clockwork Orange - Burgess
    1984 - Orwell
    Sex in History - Tannahill (a tour de force - highly recommended)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lector

As more than one previous poster said, 10 is too few but...
    Here's a few off the top of my head

The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
    Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
    100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould
    A History of Warfare by John Keegan
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
    Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
    At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien
    The Sleepwalkers by Arthur Koestler

That's 10, but I could easily pick another 10 which would reward reading and re-reading..
    Books, don't ya just love 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
    The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
    We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
    The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (or any one of his books)
    The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
    Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    Salems Lot by Stephen King
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    1984 by George Orwell

Thats 12 but I couldnt leave some of them out

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

1984 - George Orwell
    Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    The Hobbitt - JRR Tolkien
    The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke
    The Stand - Stephen King
    The Pickwick Papers - Charles Dickens
    Rubicon - Tom Holland
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexendre Dumas

Please note, this list will change over the years - didn't add Ulysses or numerous others that I also love for a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marina10

Hi,
    For me the most boring book is pride and prejude. It´s very slow this books, super naive.

I prefer books more deelply from authors such as tostoi or Dostoievsky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

1984 - George Orwell
    Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    The Hobbitt - JRR Tolkien
    The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke
    The Stand - Stephen King
    The Pickwick Papers - Charles Dickens
    Rubicon - Tom Holland
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexendre Dumas

Please note, this list will change over the years - didn't add Ulysses or numerous others that I also love for a variety of reasons.

Great choices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Great thread - I think I have enough books in my Amazon basket to last till the Apocalypse, and I'm only on page 30..

Will come up with 10 of my own when I get to the end of the thread.

Just a suggestion though - could you please write a sentence or so on why you've chosen a particular book - I've just been skimming over the posts listing the names of ten books, but have really enjoyed people's justifications for the ten they've selected..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sweargen

Ten Books WOORRAAGH In no particular order.

A Clockwork Orange. Is it justifiable for the state to take away the only thing a man loves to make him acceptable to society.
    Dantes Inferno. listen to it on audio book get the tune, the music of the language, read the book, it has everything, and no Tom Bombadill.
    Blood Meridian. Echos of Dantes Inferno, a master at work with the English language and quite possibly the most violent book I have ever read.
    Grapes of Wrath. Just the best story about ordinary people ever told. Another master of language.
    In Dubious Battle. Another Steinbeck novel, about the early formation of unions and how people of belief are used and sacrificed.
    Stalingrad. History book reads like a novel, the cruelty and sacrifice, of a pivotal time of history.hing
    Raymond Chandler. Anything, disdainful, Honest, jaded, expects the worst and is seldom disappointed. The real joy is the narrative, pure poetry.
    The Killer Inside me. (Jim Thompson) Sparse, Uncompromising, Violent The master of the unreliable first person narrative
    The Wasp Factory. It is just very ****ed up.
    The Lost City of Z. (David Grann) Non Fiction. This Geezer explored the Amazon Basin in the late 1800 early 1900s when it was still blank on the maps Stopped to fight in WW1 and then went back. an astounding man you never heard of. S

Thats it, off the top of my head, hope I inspired someone to read any of these books. S

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

sweargen wrote: »
    Ten Books WOORRAAGH In no particular order.

A Clockwork Orange. Is it justifiable for the state to take away the only thing a man loves to make him acceptable to society.
    Dantes Inferno. listen to it on audio book get the tune, the music of the language, read the book, it has everything, and no Tom Bombadill.
    Blood Meridian. Echos of Dantes Inferno, a master at work with the English language and quite possibly the most violent book I have ever read.
    Grapes of Wrath. Just the best story about ordinary people ever told. Another master of language.
    In Dubious Battle. Another Steinbeck novel, about the early formation of unions and how people of belief are used and sacrificed.
    Stalingrad. History book reads like a novel, the cruelty and sacrifice, of a pivotal time of history.hing
    Raymond Chandler. Anything, disdainful, Honest, jaded, expects the worst and is seldom disappointed. The real joy is the narrative, pure poetry.
    The Killer Inside me. (Jim Thompson) Sparse, Uncompromising, Violent The master of the unreliable first person narrative
    The Wasp Factory. It is just very ****ed up.
    The Lost City of Z. (David Grann) Non Fiction. This Geezer explored the Amazon Basin in the late 1800 early 1900s when it was still blank on the maps Stopped to fight in WW1 and then went back. an astounding man you never heard of.o read any of these books. S

Thats it, off the top of my head, hope I inspired someone to read any of these books. S

Who's the author of the Stalingrad one? Interested in a book on it

Stalingrad is written by Anthony Beevor. Good choice, don't be put off by the size. hope you enjoy it. S.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Stalingrad is written by Anthony Beevor. Good choice, don't be put off by the size. hope you enjoy it. S.

Doesn't seem that long, will probably read soon, since I'm reading a lot of World War 2 books at the moment, thanks for telling me :)

MaggieNF wrote: »
    Doesn't seem that long, will probably read soon, since I'm reading a lot of World War 2 books at the moment, thanks for telling me :)
    My pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Stalingrad. History book reads like a novel, the cruelty and sacrifice, of a pivotal time of history -sweargen

A book I always wanted to read.Sitting on my shelf a few years now. Hopefully I will manage it this year.Too many damn books.:(
    Blood Meridian. Echos of Dantes Inferno, a master at work with the English language and quite possibly the most violent book I have ever read.-sweargen

Great Book,but "In the Rogue Blood" by Blake is my favourite of the two.Some say more violent,and I would probably agree.
    The Stand - Stephen King-Mindfulness
    A Top Notch post-apocalyptic read,only surpassed IMO, by Swan Song (McCammon).
    Salems Lot by Stephen King-Dirty Dingus McGee
    Great book,My favourite King book,I have reread it more times than I have any other.

Great Book,but "In the Rogue Blood" by Blake is my favourite of the two.Some say more violent,and I would probably agree.

Is that by William Blake ? forgive my ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Is that by William Blake ? forgive my ignorance

James Carlos Blake (born May 26, 1947) is an American writer of novels, novellas, short stories, and essays. His work has received extensive critical favor and several notable awards. He has been called “one of the greatest chroniclers of the mythical American outlaw life” [1] as well as “one of the most original writers in America today and … certainly one of the bravest.” [2] He is a recipient of the University of South Florida's Distinguished Humanities Alumnus Award and a member of the Texas Institute of Letters.

If your interested there is an interview here where Blake talks about McCormack

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/books/201202/james-carlos-blake-friends-pancho-villa-johnny-depp-adaptation-country-bad-wolfes-book

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy for the tip, my appetite is whetted. I read the interview, straightforward, succinct I like that.,

Advertisement