Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10 to read before the apocalypse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

War and Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Ormus wrote: »
    Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
    Shogun - James Clavells
    1984 - George Orwell
    Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
    For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
    The Border Trilogy - Cormac McCarthy
    Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
    Anything by Dickens

Actually just about to start this, looking forward to it. I like how you used the Border TRILOGY, get a sneaky three books in there! Anybody who has 4 Cormac McCarthy books in their 10 to read before they die gets the thumbs up from me, the man is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I could try and be hip and namecheck all the greats of the last century of literature or I could be honest and just name the books I feel would hold your attention and distract you from the oncoming apocalypse .

So in no particular order:
    1. Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem - a gem of a book about the waning days of the Roman Empire
    Yeah............a great book.Its in my top 10 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The Black Magician Trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The books got worse as they increased in size. The best by far is the Prisoner of Azkaban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

greendom wrote: »
    The books got worse as they increased in size. The best by far is the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I bet you wished there were more pictures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I was going to cheat and have two seperate lists, one for fiction and the other for non-fiction, but I don't suppose the the Four Horsemen are going to tarry and allow me a leisurely read through all 20 of them, so one list it will have to be:

Grendel John Gardner. The best book I had never heard of until I bought it. Really brilliant. Written from the perspective of Beowulf's foe, it does for Grendel what Paradise Lost did for Satan.

1984 George Orwell. I really don't need to post a synopsis or a reason. Indeed, as practically every top 10 list ever compiled seems to include the work, I could have saved myself the time of typing it, left a space and worked on the understanding that most people would automatically fill it with 1984! Wonderful work though, not a bad year either.

His Dark Materials Philip Pullman. When the odd person scoffs at my enthusiasm for a "childrens' book", instead of getting annoyed I just laugh in the face of their ignorant pomposity. A brilliant, profound work. A work for adults which is accessible by young readers than the other way around.

The Plot Against America Philip Roth. The only Philip Roth book I've read thusfar, and therefore the best! Really affecting work, troubling yet heartening. Only trouble is, I've lost my edition and now that I'm writing about it, I want to read it again!! :(

Decameron Giovanni Boccacio. An absolute revelation of a book. It's not often that a work can have you laughing out loud whilst also transforming your opinion of a place or period. Especially when the work in question is over 600 years old. In his tales of life in medieval Italy and Europe, Boccaccio does both. A wonderful, illuminating, and racous work.

Pillars of the Earth Ken Follett. I read this at 15 or 16 when I was in transition year, and I remember sitting up all night with my head stuck in the pages, pretending to be sick the next day in order to skip school, and finishing sometime after midnight that night. All in, I missed two days of school because I wasn't able to drag myself from the book. I had never really read anything like it. The story is told remarkably well, the characters leap off the page, and above all, for me, it imbued me with a love of history that i still haven't managed to shake off. It had such a big impact on me that I'm afraid to re-read it in case it proves a disappointment, and not live up to my memory of it.

The Name of the Rose Umberto Eco. Eco has something of a reputation for being a difficult read, and while one certainly can't breeze through this work, the (slight) effort is absolutely worthwhile. detective work in a medieval monastery, full of intrigue and politicing and plotting, and all with a healthy dose of religious fanaticism thrown in. Yummy stuff!!

Fatherland Robert Harris. It's funny that, while Harris presents a vivid portrait of the ancient Roman world in Pompeii, Imperium, and Lustrum, the picture he paints in Fatherland, of a modern Nazi Germany triumphant and dominant after the war, is far more alien and strange to me than any portrayal of ancient Rome. It's a chilling work that leaves one feeling uneasy and troubled long after reading it.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell Susanna Clark. One of those books which you pick up without expectation and turns out to be utterly engrossing. Not a work that's going to profoundly change your thinking on things, or challenge philosophical truths, but rather a great story told with flair and verve. And that enough for me.

Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte. If I had never gained useful employment after completing it, had hated every lecture and seminar, cursed through every essay and report, and never made a friend whilst doing it, my Arts degree would have been worth it because it lead me to read this book. I had all sort of misconceptions before opening it, and all of them were dispelled. For atmosphere and a sense of gloom and impending doom, it's yet to be bettered. Reading God's Own Country a while back only re-enforced for me the influence that Bronte's work has had since its publication.

Honourable mention: The Book Thief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Data_Quest

Einhard wrote: »
    Grendel John Gardner. The best book I had never heard of until I bought it. Really brilliant. Written from the perspective of Beowulf's foe, it does for Grendel what Paradise Lost did for Satan.

The Plot Against America Philip Roth. The only Philip Roth book I've read thusfar, and therefore the best! Really affecting work, troubling yet heartening. Only trouble is, I've lost my edition and now that I'm writing about it, I want to read it again!! :(

Fatherland Robert Harris. It's funny that, while Harris presents a vivid portrait of the ancient Roman world in Pompeii, Imperium, and Lustrum, the picture he paints in Fatherland, of a modern Nazi Germany triumphant and dominant after the war, is far more alien and strange to me than any portrayal of ancient Rome. It's a chilling work that leaves one feeling uneasy and troubled long after reading it.

Thanks for that: based on the books that I have read from your recommendations I will be adding the above to my reading list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I The Divine Comedy -'' Midway through life's journey I found myself lost in a dark wood'' .The ultimate voyage of discovery .

2 Alone In Berlin by Hans Fallada. -did you ever wonder if you had the courage to stand up and be counted, then this is the book for you, Nazi Germany, lonely and truly terrifying .

3 Blood Meridian by Cormac Mccarthy -a villain straight out of the Old Testamant

4 American Pastoral- Philip Roth, - idylic 50's ,turbulent 60's and the death of the American dream .Angry, bitter, funny, Roth at the top of his game.

5 In Search of Lost Time- Marcel Proust , its French ,its long, its endlessly fasinating, just let it draw you in and you are hooked for life.

6 The Horseman On The Roof- by Jean Giono . France 1830 Cholera epidemic/Italian revolutionaries/love triangle and an angel of mercy , whats not to like (made into a brilliant film too)

7 The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas . Edmund Dantes/Mercedes/ Chateau d'if. The greatest adventure ever written and coincidently a new edition is just out in Penguin classics..

8 The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco - medieval murder mystery where nothing is as it seems ,a true original.

9 The Iliad - Homer , Forget about legends ,this is still the best book on war ever written , fast furious blood thirsty and relentless , plus the mighty Achilles

10 Ulysses -James Joyce , without question the greatest novel in the english language , forget the academics ,it is not that difficult just jump right in and you will understand all you need to .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 whywonder

1) All the Pretty Horses- Cormac McCarthy : Something really intense about McCarthy's writing and I think it comes across best in this one.

2) Ulysses- The obligatory Joyce inclusion- is definitely worth reading. Just take it a chapter at a time and ignore all the nay-sayers who couldn't finish. ;)

3) To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee. Read it first when I was ten or eleven and re-read it recently. A truly elegant book, amongst other things. :)

4) Crime and Punishment- Dostoevsky. A really, really interesting read. Designed to make you think.

5) 1984- George Orwell. It took me a while to get into it, but it is really worth the effort, IMO.

6) The World According to Garp- John Irving. The ONLY Irving book I've ever enjoyed. Just something about it that really stuck with me, even years later.

7) The Wheel of Time Series- Robert Jordan. There's 12 of them, but they should only count as 1, I think. :) Anyone interested should start them now and they'll have the final one by November 2011, unlike the rest of us who have been waiting years... and years... and years...

8) A Song of Ice and Fire- George R.R. Martin. Sci-fi fantasy stuff, but brutal characters. Thoroughly enjoyable.

9) Death of a Naturalist- Seamus Heaney. Not a novel, but a wonderful collection of poems. Definitely my favourite Heaney collection- and if you can get your hands on his reading's of them, all the better. 'Mid-term Break' makes me tear up every single time.

10) Translations - Brian Friel. Again, not a novel, but a wonderful play. Absolutely loved it, and I don't think you really need to see the stage performance to love it.

Jeez... only ten? Can I have another ten? That's less than one shelf on the bookcase....

whywonder wrote: »
    1) All the Pretty Horses- Cormac McCarthy : Something really intense about McCarthy's writing and I think it comes across best in this one.

2) Ulysses- The obligatory Joyce inclusion- is definitely worth reading. Just take it a chapter at a time and ignore all the nay-sayers who couldn't finish. ;)

3) To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee. Read it first when I was ten or eleven and re-read it recently. A truly elegant book, amongst other things. :)

4) Crime and Punishment- Dostoevsky. A really, really interesting read. Designed to make you think.

5) 1984- George Orwell. It took me a while to get into it, but it is really worth the effort, IMO.

6) The World According to Garp- John Irving. The ONLY Irving book I've ever enjoyed. Just something about it that really stuck with me, even years later.

7) The Wheel of Time Series- Robert Jordan. There's 12 of them, but they should only count as 1, I think. :) Anyone interested should start them now and they'll have the final one by November 2011, unlike the rest of us who have been waiting years... and years... and years...

8) A Song of Ice and Fire- George R.R. Martin. Sci-fi fantasy stuff, but brutal characters. Thoroughly enjoyable.

9) Death of a Naturalist- Seamus Heaney. Not a novel, but a wonderful collection of poems. Definitely my favourite Heaney collection- and if you can get your hands on his reading's of them, all the better. 'Mid-term Break' makes me tear up every single time.

10) Translations - Brian Friel. Again, not a novel, but a wonderful play. Absolutely loved it, and I don't think you really need to see the stage performance to love it.

Jeez... only ten? Can I have another ten? That's less than one shelf on the bookcase....

some great choices there it has to be said

it kinda sounds like you appreciated some of them rather than enjoyed them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 whywonder

You're probably right- some are more appreciated than enjoyed. But then, I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but I wouldn't put them on a list of definite reads pre-apocalypse.

These are the ones that have stuck with me, or made me think about things a little differently; the ones that have taught me something. Mostly. :)

whywonder wrote: »
    You're probably right- some are more appreciated than enjoyed. But then, I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but I wouldn't put them on a list of definite reads pre-apocalypse.

These are the ones that have stuck with me, or made me think about things a little differently; the ones that have taught me something. Mostly. :)

well said, the ones that make you think about them for years afterwards are worth their weight in gold

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

Howdy everybody!
    I am sure I have read all these already, and the Apocalypse ain't here just yet:)

I have thought my choices over. It could change in the future. For now, though, in No particular order:

(I'll number them just so it's easier for me to write them while thinking)

1) The Once And Future King -- T.H.White.
    2) To Kill A Mockingbird -- Harper Lee.
    3) 1984 -- George Orwell.
    4) A Tale Of Two Cities -- Charles Dickens.
    5) The Great Gatsby -- F Scott Fitzgerald.
    6) The Grapes Of Wrath -- John Steinbeck.
    7) For Whom The Bells Toll -- Ernest Hemmingway.
    8) The Outsider -- Albert Camus.
    9) Collected Fictions -- Jose Luis Borges.
    10) One Hundred Years Of Solitude -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Honourable mentions:
    Herzog -- Saul Bellow.
    Of Mice And Men -- John Steinbeck.
    Foucault's Pendulum -- Umberto Eco.
    If On a Winter's Night a Traveler -- Italo Calvino.
    The Stars My Destination -- Alfred Bester.
    All Star Superman --Grant Morrison.
    The Old Man And The Sea -- Ernest Hemmingway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyC1

Great thread, I dont know why catch 22 is so popular tho I much preferred slaughterhouse 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
    The Pickwick Papers - Charles Dickens
    Life of Pi - Yann Martel
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
    Our Man in Havana - Graham Greene
    The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene
    The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy - James Anderson
    Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall - Spike Milligan
    A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BagheeraK

A lot of these have been said already, but whatever..
    In no order

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
    The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    The Lord of The Flies - William Golding
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
    The Call of the Wild - Jack London
    Bad Science - Ben Goldacre
    A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
    1984 - George Orwell
    Tortilla Flat - John Steinbeck
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey
    The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
    Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
    Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The best ten books I have read,

1) The Count of Monte Cristo -Alexander Dumas (Classic book, I couldn't recommend a better book to anyone.)
    2) The Power of One - Bryce Courtney
    3) Shantaram - Gregory Roberts
    4) The Lord of the Rings
    5) Shogun - James Clavell
    6) The Kindly Ones - Jonathon Littel (anyone interested in WWII, I would recommend this to. It tells the story from the side of an SS officier, although fiction, the author tells it like he was really there, excellent.)
    7) It - Stephen King
    8) The Stand - Stephen King
    9) The Lord of the Flies - William Golding
    10) The Innocent Man - John Grisham

I am constantly reading books, and have read hundreds, but these are the ones I never wanted to end, classic story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell
    At Swim-Two-Birds - Flann O'Brien
    The Best of Myles - Flann O'Brien
    Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
    Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
    The Dark - John McGahern
    The Glass Bead Game - Hermann Hesse
    The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
    Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Cloud Atlas
    Anathem
    Red Mars
    Eye of the needle

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Okay I have already posted my top ten, it probably has changed since too.

Can anyone give me the top ten books they read last year as I had a really had a busy year and I need to catch up on my reading

I know there was a few good Irish novels published
    Room for one and Ghostlight anymore

also I think peter carey published also and there was another australian writer greek origins who was recommended to me

That would be great lads

Catch 22 is awesome, but the Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer is just amazing, he was only 25 when he wrote it methinks

cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

wurzlitzer wrote: »

Can anyone give me the top ten books they read last year as I had a really had a busy year and I need to catch up on my reading

also I think peter carey published also and there was another australian writer greek origins who was recommended to me

That would be great lads

Catch 22 is awesome, but the Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer is just amazing, he was only 25 when he wrote it methinks

Top 10 Last Year

1 Middlesex -Jeffrey Eugenides
    2 Swann's Way- Marcel Proust
    3 The Lovers- John Connolly
    4 Eye Of the Red Tsar- Sam Eastland
    5 Child 44- Tim Rob Smith
    6 The Horseman On the Roof- Jean Giono
    7 Quiet Flows The Don-Mikhail Sholokhov
    8 The Park and The People; A History Of Central Park-Rosenzweig & Blackmar
    9 Armageddon- Max Hastings
    10 All the Mickey Haller Books-Michael Connolly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

anything by lee childs
    any of the bosch novels by michael connolly
    the dirk pitt collection by clive cusslar
    a recent find was the heart series by chelsea cain.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
    Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (or Sometimes A Great Notion) - Ken Kesey
    The Good Soldier Svejk - Jaroslav Hasek (just ahead of Catch 22 as best war satire)
    The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
    One Hundred Years Of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Hunger - Knut Hamsun
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    Journey to the End of the Night - Louis Ferdinand Celine
    Cancer Ward - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn or Master & Margerita - Mikhail Bulgakov

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

wurzlitzer wrote: »

That would be great lads

Thanks be to God, I have enjoyed reading all my life and still do!! However, I am inclined to forget what I have read until someone mentions the books name again, but that doesn't mean they were not great books! I really should write down what I have read:confused:
    BUT that said-the last 3 books which you may enjoy-were:
    :Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada (read it while in Berlin and all the streets and districts are still there)
    :Netherland by Joseph O'Connor (hmmm,made you assess things in life and the notes were thought provoking again at the end)
    :A short history of Tractors in Ukranian (picked it up in Munich airport and laughed at the sleeve--it didn't disappoint!)
    Go on, give them a go! Ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

dont have a top ten but these books written by neville thompson are a must read.

jackie loves johnser OK
    two birds one stoned
    have ye no homes to go to
    mamas boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 twelvetoten

Excellent thread, have list as long as my arm now, I'm trusting people who have 2 or 3 of my favourites in their lists.
    Didn't see any mention of Orhan Pahmuk; My Name is Red is a really gorgeous book, have The Museum of Innocence sitting ready and waiting, in my book backlog.
    Yiddish Policemans Union by Michael Chabon is funny and quirky - loved it. Generally like Chabons characters, and therefore the entire book - except not keen on The Wonder Boys; mainly because of the chief character, Grady Tripp.
    I love books where I like the characters, for example loved A prayer for Owen Meany (haven't read in years though) and didn't warm to Henry, the main character in The Post Office by Charles Bukowski so not crazy about the book. Loved Holden Caulfield; impossible not to I think? Any recommendations of really likable characters pass them this way please.
    Will come back to this with full ten but definitely up there in that ten are:
    My Name is Red - Orhan Pahmuk
    Yiddish Policemans Union - Michael Chabon

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shanasue

Star of the Sea - Joseph O'Connor- adore this book
    The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
    Guernica - Dave Boling
    Stephen King's Dark Tower series- 7 books, all great!
    Clan of the Cave Bear -Jean M Auel, think there are a few more in this series ( earth's Children ) but havent read them yet...
    All Thomas Harris novels - hannibal lecter fame, especially Red Dragon
    No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series - Alexander McCall Smith
    That should keep ya busy for a while! Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

yeah

star of the sea is a good read, the god of small things good good too

and a prayer for owen meaney is really good years since i have read it, I can see the capitalised speech
    but the folllowing.....

I know I have changed my top ten again!

1.Catch 22...Joseph Heller
    awesome...best war fiction ever
    2. The naked and the dead...Norman Mailer..genious...second best war fiction ever!
    3.A clockwork orange....sublime...Anthony Burgess...language treat
    4.Brighton rock ...Graham Greene...blackrock willl never seem the same again!
    5.The plague..Albert Camus...so could happen...rats..bats...locusts..name your plague
    6. Blindness..Jose Saramago...what if?
    7. The day of the triffids ...john wydham ....i really loved this to bits...it could happen? one day in cornwall!
    8. In true blood..Truman Capote... inside the mind of a killer...bacekground that breeds hate
    9. Down and out in London and Paris.... George Orwell...classic extentialism..it could be you!
    10. The rum diaries hunter s. thompson ....this is why we are alive..at least he lived a little!

Advertisement