Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sikh Organisations Target Hitman

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Shinji
    Secondly, the very low age of consent.
    The age of consent in Japan is (I believe) 13. The study I quoted states: "This means that one out of 6.4 women and 17.5 men were victimized sexual assault below 12 years of age..".
    Originally posted by Shinji
    However, what you're failing to do is to compare those with instances of crime elsewhere;
    This is not something I have failed to do. As a matter of fact, my post specifically addressed this. "Women in the US 20 times more likely to be raped than Japanese". And as I said - the oft-quoted statistics for 'serious sexual crime' in Japan, particularly rape, cannot be trusted, because so often, these crimes go unreported (and more worryingly - they are dismissed, for no apparent reason). Compare this to America, the 'litigation nation', where every uncovered sneeze goes reported.

If one was to tie all this into one of your comments about this simply being a case of culture clash - wouldn't a lot of, for example, America's sexual crimes 'disappear' when painted with the same brush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Getting back to Hitman 2, I don't think it is the racial stereotypes so much as the blatant poor taste of the game that has upset people. I love the game, personally, but I did find myself questioning wether they had pushed it a little too far on one particular level. You have to eliminate two arabic terrorists. You are given detailed pictures of them in the briefing. One looks IDENTICAL to Bin Laden, the other is a dead spit of Saddam Hussain...

I think games producers need to be a little bit more responsible these days as games are sold accross the globe & to racially diverse groups. I think it's time we drop the "Shoot a towel-head, win a car" mentality championed by early shooters around the time of the gulf war. Although I can't see it making people more prejediced, anymore than Hollywood etc as mentioned earlier, it doesn't paint a good picture of the sort of people that play games. It kina makes us all look like red-necked white trash, which I resent.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ireland has a fecked up police force some how I dont think we can talk about the Japanese police force

Examples...

(All from Today!!!)

"Gardai spun web of deceit, corruption probe is told
    A GARDA 'clobbered' an elderly farmer with a metal weight and a colleague ensured the 'weapon' was then hidden, the Morris Tribunal into alleged garda corruption heard yesterday"- http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/

"Seven gardai to face assault charges over May Day clash"
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/

"Seven gardaí face assault charges"
    http://www.examiner.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by ondafly
    already done a few years back - Rainbow 6 - eagle Watch addon pack . IRA take over house of lords, and all inside are hostage. u control 8 anti terriorist dudes, go in and blow them away. No one had a problem with that game !

So, like, did you Copy and Paste this from when I said it 5 posts ago or what? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From todays Blues News:
    The Hitman 2 front page now has a link to a pop-up "corporate statement" following up on the recent uproar concerning the use and treatment of Sikh and Dalit imagery in the hired assassination sequel, and The Sikh Coalition Website has likewise been updated to reflect their satisfaction with this outcome. Here is a portion of the statement from Eidos:

"In recognition of the concerns and sensitivities which have been raised, Eidos and the developers, IO Interactive, have responded in both a socially and commercially responsible manner by:

Removing from the Hitman 2 website all relevant images and content; taking steps to amend the game on all existing platforms; and adapting the next edition of the game due out for the GameCube platform.

Eidos and IO Interactive would like to stress that no offence was intended but would like to apologise to the Sikh community and other persons for any offence taken."
    - Dave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement