Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Doom 3 stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Looks great!

But when lord, when!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

drool, looks like its gonna have most of the old monsters from the first 2 games:D
    cant wait to see the imp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

maybe id will put gameplay before engine liscencing opportunities this time...............ha fat chance :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will never look as good as the screenshots. I remember the screenshots of Quake 2 and they looked amazing but when the game came out the graphics didn't match what was in the screenshots. The same story for Quake 3 the graphics looked photo realistic. Even MOH and Wolfenstein don't match the graphics in the early screenshots of Quake 3. Expect muppets like PCGamer who give **** games like Unreal 1 and Incoming high scores to give Doom 3 a high score. Also prepare to be bitterly disappointed after you get over the graphics and realise that the game is just average.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Have you played it yet? NOPE!
    Download the video camera footage. It looks like the screenshots.
    And any pics I seen of quake3 and quake2 before they came out, looked the same as the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    It will never look as good as the screenshots.

Time to let the 486SX 33Mhz with 2MB of Ram and natty Winchester Unit go then, I'd say.... :p

K

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think I want to play it not after the abysmal Quake2. It is made by that game designing genius John Carmack who took the stealth moves out of wolfenstein 3d. Not exactly Shigeru miyamoto is he. ID should stick to multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It will never look as good as the screenshots. I remember the screenshots of Quake 2 and they looked amazing but when the game came out the graphics didn't match what was in the screenshots. The same story for Quake 3 the graphics looked photo realistic. Even MOH and Wolfenstein don't match the graphics in the early screenshots of Quake 3. Expect muppets like PCGamer who give **** games like Unreal 1 and Incoming high scores to give Doom 3 a high score. Also prepare to be bitterly disappointed after you get over the graphics and realise that the game is just average.

Heh he's right. First time for everything Stevo :P

Do ya remember when I got the leaked Q3 tech test? Omg it looked gorgeous. It ran at 5FPS on what was then a very powerful PC. When Q3 came out it was a disappointment graphicly in comparison. I expect the same with Doom 3.

Well it certainly won't look as good as some of the pictures floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I don't think I want to play it not after the abysmal Quake2. It is made by that game designing genius John Carmack who took the stealth moves out of wolfenstein 3d. Not exactly Shigeru miyamoto is he. ID should stick to multiplayer.

Quake2 wasn't abysmal. That's why everyone else likes it. Wolfenstein 3D wasn't supposed to be about stealth. It's supposed to be about filling nazis with lead. That's why there are other games like Deus Ex out there if you like stealth. Clearly you're one of those people who wants every game to be identical. I happen to like stealth as well as all out assault. Like it says in that magazine article, they're trying to keep it simple. And i think there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. That's why Quake 1 is my favourite form of deathmatch. And as for not being good as the screenshots, once you show me the screenshots that are better than the game, then i'll believe you.

Personally, I'm going to get DOOMIII as soon as it comes out, and upgrade my CPU and graphics card the week before. Maybe you're not gonna do that cos we're different people like, thankfully, deus ex and wolfenstein 3d are different games.

i dont quite understand the hostility to doom3. its not just here but on a lot of message boards ive seen. some people like retr0gamer here dont like the graphics others are annoyed by the fact that its not going to be 1 man against the hordes of hell.
    maybe these people should get some perspective.
    it may or may not look as good as the early shots, or it may be better. the early tech demos for the ut2 engine were amazing and judging by ut2k3 its has matched the quality quite easily. even if the finished product does not quite live up to those screen shots you have to admit it is light years ahead anything now.
    as for the gameplay, the days of shooting wave after wave of mindless drones is gone. serious sam was fun but not something you would go back to. games simply aint the same as they were when doom came out first. we have had the likes of half life, deus ex and system shock, games that raised the bar for what an fps should be. personally i would prefer to take on one or two intelligent enemies than hundreds of zombies that were as thick as pig ****. doom changed the face of pc gaming and im sure doom3 will do the same again. you dont go forward by looking backward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

doompage3.jpg

It looks like someone hacked the gibson.

I do think the graphics in Doom 3 are amazing. But at the moment ID are showing off at the moment with the graphics engine and just like Quake 2 and 3 the graphics will be toned down slightly for slower computers before it's released.
    The doom3 engine will probably change pc gaming but the doom3 game will definitely not. ID software have great programmers but have no decent game designers. It definitely won't change gaming like half life, system shock or deus ex. I wouldn't be surprised if it plays like a slightly better version of the dire Unreal 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I wouldn't be surprised if it plays like a slightly better version of the dire Unreal 1.

Given that I thought Unreal 1 was one of the most compelling and beautiful singleplayer games ever made, I'll buy THAT for a dollar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

what i meant to say was, the doom 3 screenshots in the given link have been removed and in their place are some odd images like the one i posted above.

Good-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    what i meant to say was, the doom 3 screenshots in the given link have been removed and in their place are some odd images like the one i posted above.

Good-day.

Yeah, that link looks like it has been screwed with. However, the pics you are describing, can be seen here.

The pics are very similar to clips in the "Doom III Legacy" video clip. This clip (about 80 megs) can be downloaded here

Bio

Shinji I'd love to get into a conversation about how Unreal is a dire game but the last one went on for an unhealthy amount of time. The game may be beautiful but play it now, like I tried to do, and u'll see it is a really average game.
    I'm much more looking forward to what other companies do with the doom 3 engine than what those 'pioneers of innovation' ID are doing with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

I've very rarely been genuinely frightened playing a game (besides the usual monster-jumps-out-and-scares-the-bejaysus-out-of-you), and Doom III seems to be promising just that. I personally can't wait. Retro, how you can possibly know how the game will play while only having seen the same screenies as the rest of us is beyond me.

As for Quake 2, how about the fact that out of the development team of 17 people working on Doom 3, only 4 of them worked on Quake 2? And that includes the two Carmacks. So don't even try and compare the two in terms of design.

Maybe it's considered "l33t" to talk shite about games before you've even played them, I wouldn't know.

Shinji I'd love to get into a conversation about how Unreal is a dire game but the last one went on for an unhealthy amount of time. The game may be beautiful but play it now, like I tried to do, and u'll see it is a really average game.
    I'm much more looking forward to what other companies do with the doom 3 engine than what those 'pioneers of innovation' ID are doing with it.

Shinji, you have no idea how much Retro hates unreal. Id avoid the subject if i were you ;)

I always said Deus Ex was rubbish (without passing the first level). I have to admit now that it is an excellent game after playing through it from start to finish. When will game developers realise that the first level is rather important :)

NB Retro hasnt finished Unreal...in fact he's hardly played it at all :P

ps. Stepho tomorrow 2 o clock bus dont be late

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unreal was a brilliant game, I guess some people *cough* found it too hard

Naff off Prae. I played Unreal about two thirds off the way through before realising that I had better games to be playing than that generic crap.
    Back to Doom 3.
    I have never played a decent ID single player game since Romero left. It will involve blowing chunks out of 1 or 2 mega tough bad guts at a time. This was crap in quake 1 and will be crap in doom 3. People have come to expect either hoards of weak minions or very clever AI. Since doom 3 focuses on none of these expect the hit and run tactics of quake 1 to still work. Carmack has no interest in making good games. He makes amazing technology but the games are dire. All are filled with sad american Goth horror or sci fi horror which after playing countless foreign games is very boring.

Doom3 will amaze with it's graphics. A good game it will not be.

• Advertisement

Daikatana, do i need to say any more?

Everyone has their off moments. Anyway Unreal had annoying bastid insects as well. If doom3 has insects you can bet it will be crap.

Back to Unreal. :D

It was a good game. Stephen (retro) said it was brilliant when he saw it first in my house all those years ago (he was dead jealous of my 3dfx card actually).

I have to admit that the animation in game was woeful....Some bits were boring, but it was gorgeous and was enjoyable if you played it the whole way through....sorta like deus Ex!

D3 is going to try and scare us sh1tl3$$. Its not going to be anything like the old Doom's....Serious Sam took over there!

ID say there wont be co-operative mode either.... :(

Co operative play in fps's is rare (but great fun when its there)

Had a great laugh in the Doom's (Doom legacy is amazing). Also in Serious sam 1+2, Quake 1 + 2, Eden

I was jealous of Unreal. That was until I played it and nearly fell asleep.

If there is a co-op mode in Doom 3 i'll be over in ur gaff the day it comes out with some cans for a lan fest.

You nearly fell asleep because you were trying to play it on your P100 stephen....with 32 mb of ram....WITH NO 3d card.

That pc served me well don't ever dish it. Anyway it was better on my computer than urs. Buillet time in a fps is brilliant.

It was still crap on ur monster machine :P

Also I nearly fell asleep not because it was slow. I nearly fell asleep cos i was drunk.

Talking about drink pass me over some cans...and the nachos

As long as you keep paying for them i'll eat eating and drinking them.I think I made a spelling mistook.

• Advertisement

Ive to get my post average upto 100 per day....theres a long way to go....keep making me laugh ste

Advertisement