Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best music track you've ever heard in a game

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

F-Zero X soundtrack

'widdly widdly wreaaarrrockawockawreeearrr' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Outcast deserves a mention (not jedi knight outcast).

Always liked shadow of the beast 2 on the amiga, very moody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

First of all i'd like to say i'm impressed by the vast array of music all you folks have suggested. I agree with a lot of them, but my favouritest are the following:

Best music designed specifically for the game:
    Winner - In-game music, Manic Miner, ZX Spectrum
    Runner Up - Theme music, Secret of Mana, SNES

Best music already in existence and used in the game:
    Winner - Title music (can't remember what it's really called), Manic Miner, ZX Spectrum
    Runner Up - Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, PC

Best overall collection of music in a game:
    Winner - Secret Of Mana, SNES
    Runner Up - Rock'N'Roll Racing, SNES

Honourable mention goes to the GTA series, especially GTA3, which does a flawless job of faking a radio station unlike, say, gotham racing, which does a fairly pants job of faking a radio station.

~Balfa

PS - There's music in Quake2 and half-life?? I can't say i've ever noticed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Best music I ever did hear was in Outcast on the PC,
    apparently they got the Moscow Symphony orchestra and Choir to do all the music, and its bloody good, lots of sweeping violins and orchestra-style impressiveness,

the game isn't too bad either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Orchestral music is excellent too in Total Annihilation, very well
    implimented. Different music to match your actions, exploring,
    fighting, building... um... fighting.. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Z.O.E had very good use of Music like when you did certain things like guarding the music changed to suit the situation.

Ive grown fond of Deus Ex NYC battle music.

One Winged Angel, Otherworld or the song from the Spring in FFX.

Shenmue has some great music.

I know someone whos compliling an Ultimate game music tape, he may tell you about it here if hes online.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Originally posted by Shinji
    "Liberi Fatali" off the front of FF8 isn't half bad either, and Eyes on Me is a really nice song

Gotta agree totally with ya Shinji, "Liberi Fatali" is the best i've heard in any game and the boss battle music from FF7 is nice and up-tempo.

If it was a song from a commercial band in a game, it would be that song that Ash have in Gran Turismo.. u know.. No.2 on the list.. forget the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

almost forgot about city of the ancients from ff7. another classic song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

The in game music for Rambo First Blood Part II on the C64, and to a lesser extent the loading music from the same game.

Check out remix.kwed.org for remixes of the all time great C64 tunes in mp3 format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

can't believe noone said it, Wipeout 2097

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

commercial music would have to be SSX tricky and non commercial music my g/f's favourite of course goes to the Bubble/Puzzle Bobble series but my personal favourite is Hitman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Mine is Blur onFifa 98 for thePS. I know it's an old track or song... but it's rocks!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Final Fantasy VII - OST

Grand Theft Auto - Grand Theft Auto (call out the boys, let's go for a joyride...) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Hmm its hard but i really like the title screen music for deus ex especially the orchestral thing at the end.Max payne has some nifty music fits in with the games theme well.Most ff games have good music but then you listen to "otherworld" from ffx to many times (ryo knows what i mean).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

oh and i love the music for the last level om serious sam 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga.
    Super Robin Hood on the Spectrum.
    Last Ninja on the C64.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

oh my god. i have to change my choice... tincool made a good suggestion (i only ever played it on the spectrum - but i remember the tune was great), but ondafly knocked it right on the head with bubble bobble... how could i have forgotten the hours of the same catchy tune over and over??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I always liked the soundtrack from warhammer 40k chaos gate. Love the whole not knowing what the hell the latin means but it sounds good and they were damn catchy.

Liked the homeworld sountrack too. Some very good mood music. The music in the level when you go back to your destroyed planet really makes me feel like my planet was blown up, or something like that, yunno what i mean.

Ahhh Salvage Corvettes the chariot of thiefs, how i love them(sry couldnt resist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

lazy jones, sampled for zombie nation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

well, i'm listening to the new Bonkers CD atm.... pity that aint in games or i'd have voted it right away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

yep, got the full mp3 of Otherworld (with no crowds screaming) put it in winamp and played The Longest Yard for about half an hour.

It was a bad Idea, ever since I get a headache if listen to it more than twice.

Otherworld made me buy FFX so it had a big Impact when I first heard it.

Best Track Ever...Thats a tough one.

Any of the Shenmue Tracks, Shenmue (w. chinese violin),
    Shenhua, loneliness etc

FF8 Intro Music was Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Otherworld made me buy FFX so it had a big Impact when I first heard it

Heh yeah... Umetsu does metal. It shouldn't work, I don't know WHY it works, but it just DOES work :)

I think it's possibly because of the attachment to the FMV scene you see the first time it plays... that whole sequence is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on a screen. A lot of game music works best because of emotional attachment rather than actual musical quality. The slow bit of Otherworld, about two minutes in, I can still see Auron walking through the disintegrating streers of Zanarkand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

sonic on the megadrive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

i loved the Rocky/Arcadey music in Unirally

Red Alert 1 musics is my fav tho

Advertisement