Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Begrudgery

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The reality is that if Esat were offering us DSL for €20 a month, everyone else will be offering it for between €18 and €22.
    This reality would be cool. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Before I go out for a few pints and put all this idiocy out of my mind for a few hours, I think it's time I asked the question: Why is the IrelandOffline committee getting all protective of Esat BT all of a sudden? I've stated my case before, many times, I haven't backed down from it yet, and you know full well I won't back down from it for a while to come. The same goes for other posters who feel strongly about this issue. So how come this concerted effort to shut people up all of a sudden?

It's lucky I'm not a conspiracy theorist, or I'd be making all sorts of libellous accusations.

*chortle*

adam

Originally posted by drjolt
    My understanding had been that IO was focussed on promoting an environment in which multiple competing offerings existed. If this is the case, I don't see why io would consider its goals achieved until more than one company was offering flat rate dialup. I think I may have misunderstood the IO position however, since you seem to be talking about just the one company delivering flat rate dialup, which just sounds like another monopoly on different terms to me.
    As I said in the second part of my post, I have no idea who it will be that delivers flat-rate. It may be one company or many.

The environment necessary for flat-rate competition is FRIACO. I hope many ISPs take up the offer when it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    As I said in the second part of my post, I have no idea who it will be that delivers flat-rate. It may be one company or many.

I personally wouldn't consider it acceptable to end up with only one flat rate dialup provider, but I don't consider that a particularly likely scenario. Thanks for clarifying the IO position.

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Before I go out for a few pints and put all this idiocy out of my mind for a few hours, I think it's time I asked the question: Why is the IrelandOffline committee getting all protective of Esat BT all of a sudden?
    I can only speak for myself here. I have no desire to protect ESAT. It is just that we are so far away from our goals that I just don't see the point of attacking them.
    I've stated my case before, many times, I haven't backed down from it yet, and you know full well I won't back down from it for a while to come. The same goes for other posters who feel strongly about this issue. So how come this concerted effort to shut people up all of a sudden?
    When someone puts up a posting with a distinct point of view, then you are going to get pro and anti posts in response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Never say never. If they offered you dsl for €20 per month, would you turn them down?

I have made a promise to myself that I would never put any business their way again and even if they offered ADSL at Euro 20 per month I would not sign up ... anyway this is not going to happen so I will stick with Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

if they offered ADSL at Euro 20 per month I would not sign up ... anyway this is not going to happen so I will stick with Eircom.

Eircom are your friend. Esat are the real enemy.

Note Sarcasam

Esat have offered two limited flat rate products.

Eircom none.

Esat DSL is cheaper and faster.

Eircom DSL has a Cap.

ps I also got the "letter" and am a Eircom DSL customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Why is the IrelandOffline committee getting all protective of Esat BT all of a sudden? I've stated my case before, many times, I haven't backed down from it yet, and you know full well I won't back down from it for a while to come. The same goes for other posters who feel strongly about this issue. So how come this concerted effort to shut people up all of a sudden?

Well, i took it as Xians personal opinion, not a missive from the commitee handed down to the bowing peons :)

I dont think theres any agendas at work here, just discussion on a topic.

The only reason i posted to the thread was the proliferation of the type of thing thats being posted which strikes me as illogical. Esat are a different company then when the letter was handed out, theres a different CEO and a different parent company. They are also actively persuing a FRIACO situation, for profit. More power to them. To reject them offhand and avow never to use any of thier products is imo illogical considering how much things have changed and will change.

I hate eircom. I hate all thier greed, obstinance and dishonesty. They are one of the prime reasons we have no FRIACO. They are one of the prime reason that most people in the state have no broadband. They are responsible for the 2000 no limits people. Im using Eircoms DSL atm. Does that make me a bad person with no morals? Maybe, but im not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. When the time comes to renew my contract with eircom, ill look around (as im lucky enough to be in an area where competition exists), and Ill go with the broadband option that is the best option. price, performance, customer service etc. After that ill factor in my hatred of eircom. not before.

It's lucky I'm not a conspiracy theorist, or I'd be making all sorts of libellous accusations.
    [/B]

Admin board ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Esat are a different company then when the letter was handed out, theres a different CEO and a different parent company....
    As I said earlier, Dustaz, I desperately hope so. When someone lets me down, I am always willing to give them a second chance but the onus is on the offending party to prove they have reformed.
    To reject them offhand and avow never to use any of thier products is imo illogical .
    I agree 100% - I have not rejected their new product offerings, on the contrary, I thoroughly welcome any new Internet product launch, they just come across to me as somewhat half-hearted about it and the products themselves only take us back to where we were two years ago.
    I hate eircom. I hate all thier greed, obstinance and dishonesty.
    Funny enough, I can't say that I hate Eircom, despite all they have done. I basically see them as a very sick company, with a cultural legacy inherited from their days as a semi-state, compounded by the disastrous sell-of/re-purchase, leading them to the situation where they are debt-laden and having to focus on short term revenue rather than long term profitability.

This is not to defend them in anyway, it's just that I have given up all hope of Eircom doing anything to sort out the mess we are in; our only hope is for some other company to take on the task. Esat fit the bill perfectly, especially with their BT experience in the UK, I just get frustrated when they mess about instead of getting on with it.

Martin

The only reason i posted to the thread was the proliferation of the type of thing thats being posted which strikes me as illogical. Esat are a different company then
    when the letter was handed out, theres a different CEO and a different parent company.

Not in my experience. They're continuing to demand payment from me for SNL services which were never delivered, and indeed are now claiming that credit card payments to them were reversed, when I have documentary evidence to the contrary. This behaviour started with their letter of disconnection and continues to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Christmas is in the air.

The "Snowball" of Internet access change, has already started rolling down from Ulster. Towards the head offices of obstructive Dublin based Telecoms companies and ineffective Government bodies such as the ODTR.

By the time this Snowball hits its Dublin targets it will be so large it could easily crush anything completely out of existence, particularly those Telecoms companies suffering from rampant unmitigated greed, or the spineless wonders who tend be found in Government offices?

If those organisations wish to survive the oncoming avalanche. Now is the time to take heed and act in the best interests of the common good, before it is too late?

Yours,

paddy20

Not in my experience. They're continuing to demand payment from me for SNL services which were never delivered, and indeed are now claiming that credit card payments to them were reversed, when I have documentary evidence to the contrary. This behaviour started with their letter of disconnection and continues to this day.
    You should contact the ODTR's consumer line and ask for advice:

consumerline@odtr.ie

LoCall: 1890 22 9668

Thanks SkepticOne, I'll contact them and see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Not in my experience. They're continuing to demand payment from me for SNL services which were never delivered...

Unfortunately, this is my experience as well. I thought I had sorted things with them, but alas, I received a bill in the post this week showing a reduction in what I owe, but still charging me for a month of service that I did not receive!

Thanks for the e-mail address, SkepticOne. I've contacted them (consumerline@odtr.ie). We'll see what they can do. They'll probably get lots of e-mails suddenly! drjolt and I aren't the only ones, it seems.

I wonder would a class action suit by the ill-billed be in order??? :p

Advertisement