Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamire.com - Beta Test Over

Options
  • 08-10-2002 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Hello all

We added a series of new features and made a load of changes to the site thanks to your feedback.

Thanks to everyone who contacted us, very much appreciated.

Extra big thanks (and pints :D) goes to the boards.ie crew for their support.

Hopefully well get the same great feedback this time around.

gl

Gary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

MUCH MUCH better. The site is a lot easier on my eyes now. The content seems to be of decent quality.

How about a strategy guide section kind of like GameFAQ.com where users can send in thier own guides for all the various games? :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

More feedback:

1. The text is hard to read in chunks. I dunno if its Verdana but it should be (imho). Verdana is usually very easy to read.
    You could think about making it bold too, as the white letters on red are quite spidery...

2. Links shouldnt be blue... its fit-inducing to see them float off the screen like that :). These are the links at the bottom of a news article that I'm talking about...

3. Your link to gamesindustry.biz is ****ed at the bottom of the "XBox busts Hong Kong bloke" article.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Thanks lads. What we are going to do is give people a choice of font and size when reading the body of the articles, to make it as easy to read as possible. Not today though :)

Any links that are blue the rollover isn't working and needs fixing, which will be done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Will you have the option for people to change the colour of the site, if they log in?

I can honestly say I'm not going to visit the site till the red is gone. For some reason it disagrees with my eyes.

Stupid eyes.

We are strongly thinking of allowing sections of the site to have selectable skins. Actually I like it... we'll do it. To be fair though my monitor is pretty bright and the red isn't bad on it now.

• Advertisement

The same with me, I have the brightness on my monitor at max and ever since they changed the red background its grand. The colour scheme is actually quite nice and is a change from white, blue and gray.

Yeah my (21" flat-ish screen) monitor is fine and grand too, but still.... it's RED. Can you look at it for a long time without your eyes feeling tired?

Again, could just be my stupid eyes, but I know I'm not the first to complain :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by koneko
    Yeah my (21" flat-ish screen) monitor is fine and grand too, but still.... it's RED. Can you look at it for a long time without your eyes feeling tired?

Again, could just be my stupid eyes, but I know I'm not the first to complain :)

it could be just a matter of getting used to it, try it for a few days or a week and see what you think then

Originally posted by koneko

it could be just a matter of getting used to it, try it for a few days or a week and see what you think then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I agree what devore is saying about the text against the red background its a bit thin and you seem to have to strain the auld eyes to make it out. Otherwise very nice site design.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dazzer
    MUCH MUCH better. The site is a lot easier on my eyes now. The content seems to be of decent quality.

How about a strategy guide section kind of like GameFAQ.com where users can send in thier own guides for all the various games? :)

If you go to the Hints&Cheats section you will find a Submit link

its on the right, above the sort by format links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    any chance of an XML/RSS feed?

Yes but for what?

We just never rest, another update for those with Red blindness.

monument cheers for pointing that out :)

And Meglome I think I liked the red a bit better but I like it with the dark grey as well :)

Please get some more reviews up of all the new games such as Battlefield 1942 and Unreal 2k :)

Originally posted by monument

Is that a serious reply?

I'll go now and strain my eyes for days, just so I can "get used to" the look. Right.

Ooh sweet, nice one Meglome. Much nicer now.

Hey Dazzer, couldn't listen to anymore moaning about the red or the 'visual rape' as someone put it. We are going to have selectable skins anyway so just thought i'd sort it now.

I'll talk to that Editor fella about those reviews.

Koneko... that problem is solved so the answer is not really important at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nice way you`re dealing with the visually impaired guy on the 2nd comments page of the "Gamire... Now with even less Red ;) " news item

gamire:
    we have taken out comments referring to the centre panel red colour, which we have already changed.

visuallu impaired guy:
    ^^ you have taken out comments referring to why this site is not accessible for the visually impaired

gamire:
    It has already been pointed out that there will be a font sizing/selection tool and new skins in the over the next few weeks. Which will assist anyone who is visually impaired so.. question - answer.

gamire:
    Post deleted... as it doesn't in any way comply with our Terms of Use.

Whole thing stinks tbh :mad:

The site is up and down like a yoyo today? Or is it just me?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bazH
    Nice way you`re dealing with the visually impaired guy on the 2nd comments page of the "Gamire... Now with even less Red ;) " news item

We got a bit of abuse about removing the comments referring to a Red colour that wasn't there anymore. A bit of "so you don't allow negative comments eh?". But to us it seemed highly pointless in having them still displayed. The funny thing is we don't even have a way of editing the poll votes that doesn't involve messing with the database in an ssh console, which you really need to know what your doing in - we're just so sneaky. As for mr. anal-ly impaired we had already told him that we are introducing changeable skins/fonts/font size. That will should sort any problem the visually impaired would have (as much as we can do anyway). Which is has to be pointed out is more than nearly any other website out there has done or is doing.

Actually the one we deleted that didn't meet the Terms of Use, is that insane guy from the admin forums. Pretty funny stuff as long as you don't live next door to him.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=66466

Originally posted by Dazzer
    The site is up and down like a yoyo today? Or is it just me?

I'm not aware of any problem but I'll have it checked for you.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We got a bit of abuse about removing the comments referring to a Red colour that wasn't there anymore. A bit of "so you don't allow negative comments eh?". But to us it seemed highly pointless in having them still displayed.

Ahh... welcome to an inkling of my world...

When you get the death threats, then you know you've made it, lol

DeV.

Is gamire not the greatest games site ever......

Anyone disagree and I'll break their ****ing legs.Capich

:D

hehe you're right Dev... I'm learning not to take it personally... mostly!!. I've been making the mistake so far of actually caring and trying to please people, silly me.

I still have a lot to learn :)

And another thing if there is going to be leg breaking then my 'associates' will deal with it. ;)

Originally posted by daveirl
    I want the RSS/XML feed for usage with the news plugin for Trillian. url]http://www.trillian.cc[/url This way I get a little pop up when the news is updated!

ok will do... but won't be for a few weeks (at least)

Are you people ever satisfied? It's always we want more..
    Mabey these people are under enough pressure with out you asking for more.:confused:

• Advertisement

We are going to try and add every good idea we get... a lot of work but it will pay off (hopefully)

Advertisement