Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hardest game of all time

Options
  • 02-10-2002 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I put the question to you - what is the hardest console game of all time. I will allow C64 games as this was kind of an early console (even though it was technically a PC).

I kick off with Dropship UPF on the PS2. It was responsible for a very dark period in my life...
    Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Slayer on the C64. Insanely fucking hard side-on-shooter that made my hands bleed from yanking the joystick around so much (the practise was useful in later life though).

It was also a pretty **** game, but i was about 10 at the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

1. Saint Dragon on the atari st. to this day ive only gotten to level 3

2. Commandos it took me and 4 of my friends well over 3 weeks to get to level 5 never got any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

GoldenEye was damm hard on 007 level, but really satisfying when completed.

Did anyone else get the invincibility cheat on Facility, now that was the hardest cheat ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Operation Flashpoint on Vetern Setting

Hidden & Dangerous

( I know they're not console games)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Kid Chamealon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

IO on the C64. But if you kept playing it, you got better at it. It was perversely addictive. I eventually finished it (it was really all about memorising attack patterns).

Fun game, though (in a tear-all-your-hair-out kinda way)

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

H&D on the later levels were a tough nut alright.

SoF2 I found tough due to the brill AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭mystik

i know this sounds a bit sad, but i find FF8 hard. I can get to the last boss but she's so HARD!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Armored police batrider, arcade game that came out in 98. Vertical scrolling shooter, its just not possible to dodge the amount of stuff they throw at you......made to take your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Project X on the Amiga.
    damn hard game , needed some real ninja skills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Another World on the Mega Drive was very tough and also ECCO, expecially the "sky" levels.

I found Commandos 2 extremely unforgiving too.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

Grim Fandango was the hardest game I ever played...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

China Miner on the C64 that was an absolute c*nt.

So was Jet Set Willy, more for the fact that it was impossible to complete due to a bug in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

ocarina of time made me cry with frustration at times... but thats probably because it was one of the first puzzle games I played, and I was 10/11 at the time... I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by kaids
    Slayer on the C64. Insanely fucking hard side-on-shooter that made my hands bleed from yanking the joystick around so much (the practise was useful in later life though).
    I agree, bloody hands after a night of 'joystick yanking' can lead to unwanted embarrasment.

Hardest CONSOLE game, hrm hrm, Tomb Raider III made me consult a walk-through with pictures to get to the end :(

On the PC Commandos seems enjoyably difficult - I'm on level 3-4 I think. Presuming it can only get harder :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any old arcade games and C64 games are the only games worthy of the title of hardest games ever. Any one who mentions drivel like SOF2 should have a go at any of the contra games or r-type. Now they are what you call challenging. No quicksaving and they weren't over in 5 hours. And they actually needed skill!

Try Gauntlet on C64 the tape was too small to fit all the levels so it wouldn't load past level 52 making it impossible and the hardest game ever!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I found Fist 2 on the c64 bloody hard. Not so much the fights as the wondering what the fcuk i should be doing.

JAK.

The all-time impossible game - Space Invaders.

You cannot finish/beat/win at this game.
    That, by deffinition, makes it the hardest game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Rainbow Island on the Amiga was another one. Try playing it with a mouse & keyboard for extra fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Paulg

The hardest game i played was Terminator on the Amstrad CPC 464. I got killed after about 30 seconds each time. And everytime you died, you had to reload the game, which took about 5 minutes. So frustrating.. so i just gave up after a few go's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Games I finished:

R-Type 3 on the SNES (esp as I only had a week to do it).

SMB2 - The Lost Levels which wasn't worth the effort.

Probotector on the NES was pretty tough 'n all.

Games I didn't:

Not sure if Rogue had an ending but I never saw it if it did.

Claymates on SNES got bloody impossible near the end.

Agree with St. Dragon - didn't get past the first few screens (didn't own it neither) but not Commandos. I took a few days to get to level seven before deciding life was too short.

Impossible Mission on the C64 was (as its title implies) pretty damn tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mike66

All games rae hard without cheats
    but a little help...

Rainbow Island on the Amiga
    FF8 Last Boss

All games are difficult especially if you play them honestly.

In rainbow Islands the cheat is simple

Trap the Enemy under your rainbow

Break the Rainbow on top of the bugs/monsters

Collect the Gems not Fruit/Food

Collect them in the order

1 Red 2 Orange 3 Yellow 4 Green 5 Blue.......

If you collect them in the wrong order then reset

If you get them in the right order, beat the Island boss Jump into the Secret Rooms
    and Type out the markings on the wall
    Something like BLRBJSBJ,......

Our Rainbow Islands character will have Tripple Rainbows, Flight, Explosives...

FF8

Final Fantasy 8 is not about Spirits, Magic or Equipment

It's about collecting Special items, Playing Cards that will turn into Items Junctioning Spells and Creating new weapons and teaching that stupid Dog new tricks.

Shiva, Ifrit , Diablos must learn all their skills, the GF ability will make Special cards turn into special items

Items can then be used to make Weapons or Spells

Draw Spells from other Monsters

Always Stock 100%

Junction your Drawn Spells with your new Weapons

If you want to Protect against Ice Freeze or Water

Draw magaic but don't use it. Fight them with weapons or use Shiva, Diablos , Ifrit..,don't waste magic.

Then Equip Protect/Defence status with one of your spells that is at 100%
    A full Freeze 100% means no Freeze damage
    If you use or waste the Freeze magic in battle
    then Protection will drop to 90% and your character will get damaged 10%

However if you equip Freeze 90% with Ice 100% it will give you total protection.

An Enemy 200 point ICE attack will be blocked 100% and also 90% of the attcak will be absorbed.
    In other words your character will get 180 Points Health.

Rather than protecting your characters against elemental Magic A better Idea would be to protect against Status spells like Confusion, Berserk, Poision...

Also only use the following people
    Squall,
    Riona ( girl with Dog )
    And the Cow Boy

The Dog has got some pretty good moves, learn them from purchasing all the Pet Books and setting the Dog to learn a certain Skill.

The Dog will revive characters and cause up to
    50,000 Damage to the Enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by Earthhorse
    Impossible Mission on the C64 was (as its title implies) pretty damn tough.

A tough game all right but by no means impossible. Have clocked it many times on the C64 and have again on the CCS64 Emulator. Great game, all time classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Putty on the Amiga. Could never get past the second level. that bastard fox, id rip his heart out if i could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

There was a game called Ailen8 on the zx spectrum that was bloody impossible to finish. For that matter alot of spectrum games were nigh on impossible to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

pretty much any fps i've ever played on a console is impossible on the highest difficulty settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

This is Syd_Vicious speaking...

Two of the hardest games I ever played were

James Pond 3 on the Megadrive. Over 100 levels, three endings, so many secret levels & a mad hard end boss. Never finished the game.

Lodos on the Dreamcast. Oh man this game is huge. There is soooooo much to this game & the enemy fights are some of the hardest ever. Never finished this game either.

Just my 2 cent

This has been Syd_Vicious speaking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

I cant believe nobodies mentioned good ole Tie Fighter . Insanely hard game.

Originally posted by tman
    pretty much any fps i've ever played on a console is impossible on the highest difficulty settings.

That's cos the control system sucks tbh tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

in order of easiest to hardest (being my top 5 hardest games)

5. Swords of twilight
    4. urban strike
    3. better dead than alien
    2. Turrican
    1. millenium 2.1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement