Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf NoLimits Strikes Again

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hiya Martin,

I assume that this has nothing to do with the way you have consistently criticised Esat on this forum :)

Of course it does.

More seriously, I assume that you are conscious of the need to get this off their books one way or another

Politically and financially, yes.

so that they don't use it to screw up your credit rating elsewhere

If they do, I'll kill them. Note the deficiency of smilies.

adam

"Kill" is a bit strong, as has been pointed out to me. "Sue" is of course what I meant. Boy, that'd be fun.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    At least this $hit doesn't happen with Eircom, however crap there service may be

Oh yes it does.

I have an invoice in front of me for equipment I dont have, and have never even discussed with Eircom, let alone ordered. They are also still billing me for a sub service which was cancelled last year. When I eventually manged to get someone to talk to me, their respone was that it must have been an error in the system. Many months later they are still sending me reminders for the same invoices and at this stage I've given up trying to talk sense into them.

They are as well represented in the league of chancers as ESAT ever will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Got one of those too. Esat's final invoice to me contained charges for services not recieved, claims of money already owing despite Esat having been instructed to automatically debit my CC, and basic errors of arithmetic (money paid increasing the sum owed). I sent a letter in July 2001 saying I'd settle the account once I recieved a corrected invoice, but they never sent me one. Now this. I'd love to see some journalist pick up this story.

Just got off the phone with L&DMS, and recounted my tale to them. According to the person I spoke to, they'll pass on that info to Esat BT, and have put the account on hold - that is, it won't go any further - until either L&DMS or Esat BT get back to me. I urge anyone who has a dispute with them to get in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

I would strongly advise you, and anyone disputing bills, etc. to
    1) PUT IT IN WRITING and
    2)send to the offending party (ie, Esat, Eircon) via REGISTERED POST .

That gets their immediate attention and lets them know you mean business, because there's a RECORD of your dispute, not just a minimal notation (of dubious accuracy, if at all!) by personnel.

If at all possible, include copies of bills, bank statements and any other relevant documentation.

Yes, excellent point. I've whipped up a quick summary of the telephone discussion which I shall dispatch to them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Occidental

Oh yes it does.

I have an invoice in front of me for equipment I dont have, and have never even discussed with Eircom, let alone ordered. They are also still billing me for a sub service which was cancelled last year. When I eventually manged to get someone to talk to me, their respone was that it must have been an error in the system. Many months later they are still sending me reminders for the same invoices and at this stage I've given up trying to talk sense into them.

They are as well represented in the league of chancers as ESAT ever will be

I have heard of far more people complaining about Esat than Eircom in terms of being billed for stuff they never got.

It doesn't matter anymore, i have UTV and so far the service has been super, i had a query about billing them, rang up and got it answered right away

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Esat do have something of a history in sending people phones they don't order (happened to me and a few others I know) but at least they eventually recognise their mistake (took me three months to get money back - as a fee for my time I kept the Esat phone). It's also a practice Eircom subscribe to, though at least most people are finally handing in their phones.

(as an aside: where will people get rid of their rented phones now Eircom have sold their shops? I know I just got them to stop billing me for rental on the phone I didn't want (with no hassle - having persuaded the nice lady on 1901 to stop billing me I just kept the Eircom phone out of spite). Will they just stop billing you and tell you to keep the damn thing?)

Ironically I use neither phone. I use a nice cheap BT cordless I got in Argos for about thirty quid

XX XXXXXXXXXX XXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Cork

25th September 2002

Legal & Debt Management Services
    8 Claremont Road
    Sandymount
    Dublin 4

Your Ref: [see attached]

Sir,

With reference to your attached letter, as has been explained to you no
    doubt dozens of times now by both ordinary and committee members of
    IrelandOffline, the amount outstanding relates to charges that were
    invoiced to me subsequent to cancellation of my account with Esat BT. They
    have also conveniently forgotten the deposit I had to pay them to commence
    service.

And of course they have forgotten the letter I sent them, cancelling my
    account; and the second letter I had to send when they lost the first one;
    and my complaint about their surprise "reminder", nearly a year after my
    cancellation. They have never responded to any of my correspondence, either
    to apologise or to question my assertions. Not a peep. And now this.

Words cannot express my disgust with your threats of legal action for such
    an amount; even if they are effectively threats by proxy for Esat BT. You
    are transparently playing on the ignorance of people with regard to their
    rights, which I find offensive. If you should be threatening anyone with
    legal action, it should be Esat BT for referring fairytale debts to you.

To be clear, I have absolutely no intention of paying this invented debt. I
    am also seriously concerned that my credit rating will be affected, in
    which case I will need to refer the matter to my solicitor -- I would
    appreciate a written assurance from your company that it will not by return
    of post please.

By rights, you should also be including a cheque from Esat BT for the
    deposit they owe me, plus the cost of this letter, and the time I was
    forced to take to compose it. I won't be holding my breath for those, but I
    look forward to your reply on the former matter.

Yours sincerely,
    Adam Beecher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Bravo Adam, very very good letter! :)

I cant wait to see the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by rymus
    Bravo Adam, very very good letter! :)

I agree ^_^
    I cant wait to see the reply

Neither can I... I hope it teaches Esat a lesson. Good luck mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Kennett,

Re:- Eircom Accounts Honesty,

I could not disagree with you more. They sent me a bill for 888 internet calls at a cost of over Euros 300.00 on top of my normal voice call account.

Had I not paid them they would have disconnected me forthwith despite the fact that Eircom.net were investigating my complaint about their error in submitting to accounts a totally incorrect calculation which I had to pay.

As with a lot of large organisations, the right hand never knows nor will it acknowledge what the left hand is doing. I will not elaborate further except to state that if you are impressed by Eircom.ie accounts department which is part of eircom Ltd.

Then we are living on different planets.

Best wishes,

Yours,

Paddy20 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

(as an aside: where will people get rid of their rented phones now Eircom have sold their shops? I know I just got them to stop billing me for rental on the phone I didn't want (with no hassle - having persuaded the nice lady on 1901 to stop billing me I just kept the Eircom phone out of spite). Will they just stop billing you and tell you to keep the damn thing?)

I[ll give you a clue where my eircom fone went, its black has wheels and nice men empty it every thursday.

they stopped billing me for it when I moved I got rid of it because it was older than I was

was just wondering though are the odtr doing anything about esats lousy accounting

Originally posted by paddy20
    Kennett,

Re:- Eircom Accounts Honesty,

I could not disagree with you more. They sent me a bill for 888 internet calls at a cost of over Euros 300.00 on top of my normal voice call account.

Had I not paid them they would have disconnected me forthwith despite the fact that Eircom.net were investigating my complaint about their error in submitting to accounts a totally incorrect calculation which I had to pay.

As with a lot of large organisations, the right hand never knows nor will it acknowledge what the left hand is doing. I will not elaborate further except to state that if you are impressed by Eircom.ie accounts department which is part of eircom Ltd.

Then we are living on different planets.

Best wishes,

Yours,

Paddy20 :eek:

I've had no bad experiences customer-wise, though I do acknowledge that people can have problems with Eircom. My main gripe with Eircom is that they charge too high for net access. But, they haven't pulled off an 'Esat Job' with me, so I favor them that little bit more, not that much more though...

Btw, welcome back to the boards :)

Btw, dahamsta, I found a letter lol and one of the former bills from Esat, and thay stated that my mum owed them €21.89 (letter was sent on 15th May 2002). However, there was a bill sent to me on the 24th of April 2002 with no money taken off it, and just a 'Thank you for payment' put across the payment advice section. I'm really wondering what is going on here... First they say I've paid up, then they charge my mums account the 21.89... Both have different customer numbers as well, so there must besomething up. I'm sure that Esat were charging my mum for SNL, even though it was signed up in my name. It basically confusesthe hell out of me :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Kennett,

Very many thanks, for the welcome back to the boards! on your last message.

Good start to the day, and glad to hear that you have not had any bad experiences with Eircom.ie (Accounts department)/eircom Ltd??...

Wish I could say the same because thats all I have had with them i.e. "Very bad experiences".

But wait, Paddy20 is now free from their clutches, hopefully!.

Hope you are keeping well.

Best wishes.

Yours,

Paddy20;)

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I've set up a website, EsatSucks.Com and at the moment you can go there and submit your Esat stories. When there's enough I'll post them up there. Also, if you have any suggestions for the site let me know and I'll do what I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....Why is this the first post your EVER made where you actually mentioned ESAT......I did a WHOIS ESATSUCKS out of curiosity.

While you have voiced you anger at Eircom you never mentioned Esat in any of your posts until now.

Seems a bit like a honeytrap to me.

M

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

.....is with Eircom but all the Esat threads renewed my disgust with Esat as I also received many letters looking for money I didn't owe them. I don't want anything other then to give a central place for all these complaints to be heard and somewhere that Esat might even notice in time. If I could have I would have registered EircomSucks.com but someone beat me to it and are sitting on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by Banished-She
    I would strongly advise you, and anyone disputing bills, etc. to
    1) PUT IT IN WRITING and
    2)send to the offending party (ie, Esat, Eircon) via REGISTERED POST .

That gets their immediate attention and lets them know you mean business, because there's a RECORD of your dispute, not just a minimal notation (of dubious accuracy, if at all!) by personnel.

Theres a new device out that lets you record all your phone conversations and store them compressed and neatly logged on your PC, it's all done invisibly once your PC is on. The company who are selling this product for around 150 Euros basically said that it's about time the consumers start doing what companies have been doing to them for years. Most companies will record you for evidence in case of a dispute so why shouldn't the consumer be on level playing fields. Some also have the recordings hooked up to lie detectors. I don't have this device myself but sometimes saying you have can be just as effective.....

I had a major row with Eshat like the rest of you over trying to cancel my SNL when I got ISDN and it took loads of bloody phone calls which would sometimes involve getting passed on to 3 or 4 people per call, I had also sent an email to confirm I wanted it cancelled cause thats what I was told on the phone the first time I rang, the person on the phone also assured me that it was officially cancelled, I was even given a specific email address to confirm my cancellation. However months later they were still sending me bills and threats of court cases etc. and when I rang up again I was told that a written letter was needed and that an email wouldn't suffice and therefor my account was still open. I explained that I did what I was bloody told by one of their employees but the girl on the phone said that there was no record of my email and that I was going to be sued if I didn't pay, she had obviously assumed that I had no record of the conversation or email. I then asked for her name which she refused to give me so I said to her 'listen here missy, I have the phone conversation recorded of when I was told by an Esat staff that everything was sorted and I was just to send the email, I have a log of the email from the server that can show I sent it, and I'm also recording you now so you better make sure I don't get any more bills or hear from you again'. Sure enough she shy'd off and that was the end of it.

I had similar crap with Eircom over their Indigo ISP which hadn't been used or billed for over 3 years and all of a sudden they started sending everyone bills hoping to get a few quid but they were only chancing their arm and once u told them the accounts were cancelled years ago they'd leave you alone. Mind you I did have to send about 3 bills back before they stopped anoying me.

Companies are always going to chance their arm to get more money from you and try to scare consumers with their armies of solicitors, all you can do is protect yourself like Banished-She said.

Esat are now [through L&DMS] claiming that credit card payments were reversed, which I have proof [credit card statements going back to 1999] never happened.

Advertisement