Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

However can you really shout out at the top of the website offering "Unlimited off-peak internet access for just €29.99 per month!" ? Surely its a 150hr package and not "unlimited" at all?

Thats one for our marketing/PR people - I just make sure you get your email and theonion.com ;)

But we are being upfront and honest about this limit and not hiding behind some "excessive use" clause that most ISP's would do until you received the Dear John letter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Good Job UTV....

Glad to see a company out their trying to force Errrrrrrcon's hand in the whole situation.

I've just signed up for the service.

Here's to many more years of quality internet service from dna/utv internet.

Well done.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

IMO the word 'unlimited' implies there are no limits...

still, it is a good offer for what we have available in Irland (no E :P). Shame I have to share net access with hordes of siblings who would surely cause us to be booted off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by LoBo
    However can you really shout out at the top of the website offering "Unlimited off-peak internet access for just €29.99 per month!" ? Surely its a 150hr package and not "unlimited" at all?

It might be an idea to make sure that the 150 hour limit is is mentioned in your adds to cover yourselves. Some other ISP's or even individuals may think about lodging a complaint with the ASAI.

On a happier note well done with the new product. I, as a user, have been singing the praises of the UTV standard dial up on the grounds that the quality of service is so much better than anything else available down here. I feel that this quality of service coupled with the generous monthly allowances will make this a very attractive product. Good luck and well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Excellent news x 2

1 Flat rate :)

2 UTVi person on boards posting info (does customer service get any better????)

:)

kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

5 hours a day off peak for 30 euro a month is a great deal. I for one am signing up as we speak :) - must get that credit card sorted now :)

Thank you UTV internet.

Eircom, Esat BT, screw guys im going to UTV :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

.....as a thanks for the publicity here on boards..

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ok newbie question here

if i sign up for this service, but only use the connection for off-peak connection, and keeping under the 150 limit, does tha tmean my monthly bill would be 29.99 plus whatever errorcom charge me for line rental????

It might be an idea to make sure that the 150 hour limit is is mentioned in your adds to cover yourselves. Some other ISP's or even individuals may think about lodging a complaint with the ASAI.

Actually we've raised this.....and removed it from the homepage - hows that for fast turnaround of reacting to customer comments? :) Seems it was an oversight with the page moving between the preview to live version - obviously there are a few limits as are being discussed in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

In response
    but only use the connection for off-peak connection, and keeping under the 150 limit, does tha tmean my monthly bill would be 29.99 plus whatever errorcom charge me for line rental

In short Yes, you are correct..

You should really (mail) ring UTV ask them and paste the Q and the A back in here though.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    ok newbie question here

if i sign up for this service, but only use the connection for off-peak connection, and keeping under the 150 limit, does tha tmean my monthly bill would be 29.99 plus whatever errorcom charge me for line rental????

Ph3n0m

That is the theory. Basically you should get your line rental bill from errcon and then all call charges would be billed by UTV.
    Once you do not go over the 150 hours and only use off peak your call bill should be €29.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

30 euro a month for a service capped at 150 hours still beats the arse off paying those eircom parasites around 100 euro pm for a very slow unreliable "service"

sign me up!!!

Yes......but if you also made voice calls on your line we would be billing you for these (at Eircom minus 25% rates) as well. So your monthly bill would be €29.99, your Eircom line rental and any voice calls made during the month. Does this help? Your voice calls will be billed monthly via email by ourselves (we can provide a paper based bill, but that is charged extra). Also statements can be viewed online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Groovy Baby!

UTV 150 hours for €29.99, I is going suning my ass on me hols and signing up as soon as I get back.

Well done UTV - vote with you wallet people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

So, even if someone wasnt interested in getting the flat rate internet, they could get the telephony service for no extra charge and immediatly have a 25% reduction on all call costs? And none of that goes to eircom apart from line rental? Seems like an opportunity not to be missed.....

So, even if someone wasnt interested in getting the flat rate internet, they could get the telephony service for no extra charge and immediatly have a 25% reduction on all call costs? And none of that goes to eircom apart from line rental? Seems like an opportunity not to be missed.....

Yes.....but obviously a portion of the call spend goes to Eircom - they are generally originating and terminating the call...but by taking the telephony package, you'd be cutting a fair chunk out of it.....:)

Quoth the webpage:
    "Flat rate off-peak internet access for just €29.99 per month!"

Good stuff UTVi, that is much more accurate :)

Before I sign up I have a couple more questions for you (and kudos for being a forum user!):

1) I (unfortunately) share the 56k internet we use with the rest of my family. Therefore it is very hard for me (the internet-knowledgeable family member) to control amounts of time spent online by other family members. What controls/warnings will there be when the 150hr limit is reached/neared? I would be perfectly happy to pay €30 for 150 hrs of offpeak access, and then have the system refuse to let me on until next month when we go over - rather than have UTVi give us the boot when it happens.

2) Is the 2hr disconnect automated and in place right now? I've heard/read about this sort of thing before and not seen it actually happen on the service

3) Presumably, I can find this out with some careful reading of the site... Is it possible to pay the email-bills via direct debit?
    [EDIT: The answer was blindingly obvious (yes), and right there on the web page requiring no 'careful reading' :)]

Thanks,
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Just seen this on the utvip.com website ... brilliant !

utvip.jpg

A sly dig at Eircum by any chance ??? Love it !!!

1) I (unfortunately) share the 56k internet we use with the rest of my family. Therefore it is very hard for me (the internet-knowledgeable family member) to control amounts of time spent online by other family members. What controls/warnings will there be when the 150hr limit is reached/neared? I would be perfectly happy to pay €30 for 150 hrs of offpeak access, and then have the system refuse to let me on until next month when we go over - rather than have UTVi give us the boot when it happens.
    This is currently not handled automatically, and is discretionary.....but we may change this in the future. But it is something we've been discussing internally.
    2) Is the 2hr disconnect automated and in place right now? I've heard/read about this sort of thing before and not seen it actually happen on the service
    Yes and yes.
    3) Presumably, I can find this out with some careful reading of the site... Is it possible to pay the email-bills via direct debit?
    DD or credit card are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Martin-UTVi

quick question Martin:

Can we get the service without the telephony package? or is that just how you worked out the service?

Thanks,

Paul

• Advertisement

thanks for the prompt reply Martin,

Might I suggest for 1) that perhaps an automated email be sent out when you reach 150 hrs in one month?

Might I suggest for 1) that perhaps an automated email be sent out when you reach 150 hrs in one month?
    Definately looking at it.
    Can we get the service without the telephony package? or is that just how you worked out the service?
    Not at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

The FAQ on the Utv Internet Site says no ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Now I'm doubly upset I got my 'phone service from Chorus (here in Cork).

You've clearly stated that an Eircom 'phone line is required so I'm not being ignorant, just grasping at straws when I ask:

Would it be possible for me to take advantage of your excellent offer with a Chorus (wireless local loop) 'phone service?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

There is already a story on ENN:

Flat-rate Net access returns to Ireland

UTV Internet has launched a flat-rate off-peak Internet access service, making it the only ISP in the Irish market to offer such a product.

Full story at http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=8613959

Congratulations, UTVi! I am already signing on that service. But looking at the recent announcements from ESAT and now UTV, I am wondering what is coming next! But it only can become better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

ozpass,

don't be too this heartened, from what I hear Chorus is making moves to provide wireless broadband in Cork before the end of the year ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

im confused!? :confused:
    i have gone to there site and click on Republic of Ireland.
    all i get is N Ireland information!? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by matthiku
    There is already a story on ENN:

Flat-rate Net access returns to Ireland

UTV Internet has launched a flat-rate off-peak Internet access service, making it the only ISP in the Irish market to offer such a product.

To be fair - it is the same thing Esat BT recently offered (X hours for X dosh), just vastly superior in price. So if this is flat-rate, then Esat BT are also offering it. :D

[EDIT: oh yes *kick brain* Esat BT haven't officially launched that product or service. That ENN quote is perfectly accurate. Apologies]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Martin,

It's great to see a good product and a company that listens to customers, Utv AND us will benefit in the long run...
    Speaking of long run, do you have to subscribe to Internet and CPS for a set period, or is it a monthly contract that can be ended at the end of any month?

Also, you mention a cost saving of 25% on Eircom, but can you tell us EXACTLY how much it would cost per minute to use the internet during peak time with UTV, and how much extra per minute for 128 ISDN..(peak and off-peak)

Thanks in advance
    Fabien

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I'd still rather spend my squids with a company like UTV, to whom I bear no animosity, than those rat-bags at Chorus!

Advertisement