Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAI do deal with Sky, no Irish footie(live) on terrestrial TV.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭mike2084

The only way that I think these home games will end up back on RTÉ (or even live on TV3) is for the government to pay €7.5m+ to the FAI. Sky have paid up & signed a contract which means they should have that contract honoured unless they are outbid. I don't think the Government will pay in the present economic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

This is whats going to happen as far as I see.
    The live matches will go out on Sky, and repeat\eircom league on TV3, no change at all to the current deal, why? This government never steps on anyones toes. Look at the Irish Euro 2008 bid, Mary Harney put her foot down and said that the matches should go to Croke Park, but the GAA said no. The big question there is where was Bertie during all this??? No were to be seen. What did Charlie Haughey say about Bertie? he said "he is the most sly and cunning of them all". So soccer fans, even though I'm Fianna Fail to the bone, Were stuck with what we've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DaveH
    What did Charlie Haughey say about Bertie? he said "he is the most sly and cunning of them all". So soccer fans, even though I'm Fianna Fail to the bone, Were stuck with what we've got.

"Devious", not "sly"

Which is probably even more damning, given the source.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭mike2084

Reports now say that Sky have made a €17 million bid for the away rights - Personally I'm not suprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Michael Walsh
    Reports now say that Sky have made a €17 million bid for the away rights - Personally I'm not suprised.

what you have not mentioned is that the bid is for Ireland, Scotland and England's away rights not just ours. they'd be mad to pay that just for Ireland's away games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Apparently the joint RTE/BBC bid for the away package was just
    £100,000 per game....Greg Dyke made some noices about boosting the Beebs sporting portfolio but if he's serious they'll
    have to do a damn sight better that that!

oh yes, I want the Ryder Cup back! :mad:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

when are they gonna make a decision on the away games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

TV3 will be showing a minimum of 5 league Eircom games. That doesn't mean that they are just going to show just 5 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 will be showing a minimum of 5 league Eircom games. That doesn't mean that they are just going to show just 5 games.

The fact that TV3 bought the rights to Eircom League is Suprising, its over the next four years so i would assume that they will show 5 games this year and up it next year but i wouldn't bet on it. They will only show 5 games each year, the finals.
    RTE are pretty sad. The Find somebody of in the EU to support their case. Whule I diagree with the FAI - the rights were theirs to sell.

Sky have lots of money to spend they if they wanted could buy all the irish sporting events from under RTE if they wished.

Have we all forgotten that TV3 hopped into bed with The devil him self Sir Rupert Murdock to get as live coverage only on TV3. TV3 I am sure could have bought the rights with RTE if they wanted. And maybe even RTE could show 5 Eircom League matchs live as well I would have thought that that would be a better deal for Irish TV and Irish Soccer as you would have more viewers watching Both Irish TV and Irish Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Taoiseach reacts to Sky match decision

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0724/soccer.html

July 24, 2002

(16:23) The Taoiseach has said Sky Television's decision to broadcast the Republic of Ireland's home qualifier against Switzerland in October on Sky One was a step in the right direction.

He added, however, that it would not change the Government's position that the matches should be made available on free to air television.

Speaking in Dublin, Bertie Ahern said Sky One did not reach 90% of the audience or anywhere near that.

He said the Minister for Communications, Dermot Ahern, would have the list of events which the Government believe should be available on terrestrial television completed by the end of August.

He added that the legislation would then be brought forward, enacted and enforced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement