Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAI do deal with Sky, no Irish footie(live) on terrestrial TV.

Options
  • 06-07-2002 6:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

I think this really makes a joke of the Irish government & RTE.

Sky have come in here, wiped the floor (& continue to do so) with Chorus,NTL etc... & now really highlight what fools we Irish are.

The GAA are not alone in the "money grabbing" club.

How farsical.

An Irish citizen, having to send money overseas to see live IRISH international football (some played right here in Lansdowne Rd.).

We've already got RTE on Sky with no GAA coverage, now, Irish soccer on Sky, with no RTE coverage :mad:

As said B4, Sky are not based here, are not governed by Irish legislation, make little or no contribution to our economy (apart from contributing to rising inflation with ever increasing subs).

So we're told that 20% of households have access to Sky digital.
    But of this, what percentage have access to the Sports package?

I'd say maybe half, i.e. 10%.

& the FAI tell us this is for the benefit & progression of the sport - they should be comedians.

This may actually have some benefits:

1. The Government cop on & actually DO something about Sky's shoddy treatment of it's Irish customers.

2. RTE may get some support for a change.

It may all quieten down for a while, until Ireland's first European qualifier - then will the s*it hit the fan.

What's next? The Late Late, 6.1 News?

Interesting that TV3 have the rights to show "delayed" coverage of the games i.e. starting 1 hour after the end of the live match.

So Granada & Sky are the only one's to show ANY Irish soccer on Irish TV.

Now don't get me wrong. I know the FAI sold out to the highest bidder.
    I'm a capitalist myself - who isn't? Money talks
    ;), but this is such a hilarious situation.

Also take into account that Sky didn't buy the rights for it's "cherished" 5.5 million UK viewers.

This is clearly aimed at the Irish Sky viewing public (granted lots of Irish in the UK would welcome the live matches).

It makes me wonder just how profitable Sky's Irish operation really is, between subscriptions (again more valuable to them as the €uro strengthens against sterling) & advertising (specifically Irish stuff).

Nuff said.

Forgive the length of the post, as I'm a little bit peeved (not).

I'm f*cking LIVID.

Opinions anyone?

Comments

I agree totally.
    I think it's disgracefull.
    But do people really care enough??
    People continue and will continue to snap up Sky subscriptions here at a rate of knotts.

This debacle has the potential to cause problems for Sky's reputation here, ie expose it as money grabbing and with little or no respect for the Irish.

People have to care en masse for something to be done.
    Are they going to dump Sky-Nope
    Are enough people going to bombard the minister for communications and the Minister for sport and Bertie with complaints?
    Some maybe, but not enough, most will lie down as usual in front of the Sky doggie:confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( :mad:

Quite frankly if the likes of major RTÉ broadcasters are being given €500,000 per annum each to do a job, that equal talent in local radio could do for less than a €100k -theres little hope of that station being able to match Sky.

Where are their Big star names going to go, if RTÉ offer them a more realistic wage??? surely not tv 3 and Today fm en masse-that would be commercial suicide.
    It would be easy enough to come up with the €7.5 million just by reducing the ridiculous salaries.

This government too are only at the start of their 5 year term and as such have no incentive at this early stage to help.
    It's blooming typically Irish to lie down and let this happen.

I hope and pray IT's TV get off the ground soon, so as Sky get some decent competition.
    At present they are a monopolyesque player being aided and abetted in every way possible by our government.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

7.5 million over 4 years...that is pathetic money...how could rte not come up with that? surely an accountant could look at how much ad revenue there is and see that that is a bargain...surely the fai could grant rte a first refusal rather then sending the sport over seas to the highest bidder?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does anyone know how much RTE offered? It can't have been much. FAI president reckons that RTE just weren't interested.

And like madman, I too would really love to see it's TV get off the ground too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Does anyone know how much RTE offered? It can't have been much. FAI president reckons that RTE just weren't interested.

And like madman, I too would really love to see it's TV get off the ground too.

The indo says RTE offered €400K per year which is €100K less than last time. I think their negotiator thought the FAI could not live without RTE and tried to bring the price down on foot of this. I think his bluff was called!! Sounds like amateurs trying to do a professional's job.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

This is all typical of RTE. They are trying to justify a future claim for a hike in the licence fee. Just think... they could have gotten rid of Kenny and Ryan... that would give them €5million or so over the next 5 years.... add that to whatever they did bid for the rights!

€5million is a huge amount of money and we licence payers are spend it on those two planks!

Oz

• Advertisement
    byte

Originally posted by Tony

The indo says RTE offered €400K per year which is €100K less than last time. I think their negotiator thought the FAI could not live without RTE and tried to bring the price down on foot of this. I think his bluff was called!! Sounds like amateurs trying to do a professional's job.

Tony

RTE only offered €1.6m over 4 years?! Jeez, I'm not surprised FAI took up SKY offer. That's a hell of an amount of dosh. Maybe RTE will learn from this! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭danielle

iT'S LIKE WINNING THE LOTTERY TO SEE sKY TAKE AWAY THIS SILLY GAME OFF OUR TV SCREENS. HOW WANT TO WATCH A GAME WHERE U HAVE TO SCORE EITHER PUT IT IN THE GOAL OR OVER THE BAR.........WHERE IS THE CHALLENGE IN THAT ! WELL DONE SKY AND THANK U.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Sky are a monopoly here and are not regulated as the business is in the uk.They can do what they Fing well like.
    Dont know ,but the FAI thing sucks.Hey I dont like sport so much but I know when the piss is being taken. Imagine having to take out a UK sky subscription in order to watch football in Landsdown road> Sorry if its not a great example but you see where Im getting at.
    Fcku Sky and the other niggiling thing is,, the EU directive on CI Cams, wasnt NDS supposed to "Have" to make Viideoguard cams available? (off topic)
    Lads get on to your minister for P&T or whatever its called these days.And some thicko journalist who will take sky to task over the air, worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

If we kicked up as much fuss as a nation about the price of everything else like we have over RTE losing the footie we'd be better off.
    Anyway,is it really a big deal. Everyone has been watching matches in pubs since Euro '88,drinking 3-4 pints per game instead of watching at home for nothing. People want atmosphere.Most people who don't go to the pub ,have had Skysports at home for years to watch their footie. I bet if Sky sports went off air tomorrow we'd all be in tears...

At least RTE can't justify licence increase now, there's little left to watch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Being a Football man and knowing some ppl in Irish football, I heard RTE didnt want to show the League Of Ireland, where as the SKY\TV3 bid had 5 Live League of Ireland games a year, plus an irish match of the Day style thing. What did RTE think they were doing anyway, They lost Champions League to TV3 a few back and Sky have being showing the Irish matches for 2 years anyway. They knew there was a bid coming from TV3 and Sky, so they bid less!!!! Im glad to see RTE lose the rights to Irish football, They give decent coverage of the National team, one of there pundits turned around and said he wanted ireland to lose all there World Cup matches, Eamonn Dunphy was sacked\suspend\resigned from RTE on 3 or 4 different occasions, the reason he is back there is because they love is agruments, and hes a great mate of Bill O'Herily. RTE commintment to sport is crap. They no longer show the World\European Athletic Championships, I was at Irish atheltic Champions and asked one of the organisers was it on TV and he said "Yeah TV3, RTE dont care." RTE stopped showing the Dublin City Marathon, about 7 years ago. Last October the FAI went to RTE saying you have to start showing more League of Ireland if you want to have the Ireland matches, they wouldnt move, giving them nearly exact the same coverage as before, except the program was on at 7.30 instead of 11, and still showed horse racing and Gaa, all in a half hour program. Gathal Goan was on the 6.1 yesterday, and his attiude was, were RTE we desvere the football matches. For those of you saying feck the RTE for going to SKY. That sky money like before will go to better League of Ireland grounds, more full time players, better pitches and facilites for young players and junior players all over Ireland, so the FAI were right to ditch RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I wonder about this.

1. Did TV3 not bid for the rights to live irish matchs on home ground. I dont think they did, because they would not be able to afford all the cameras etc. for such a production. They were happy just to bid for Away matches. (They then just asked sky for the 1 hour delay as live)

2. €7.5m is a small cash to Sky, they have bought the rights to the Home and Away matches just so that they can get more subscribers in Ireland and more people willing to pay to see the English Soccer, which by the way they spent £24,000,000 on for those rights. Both TV3 and RTE know that Irish soccer is not worth €7.5m (think about it RTE last time round spent £2,000,000 on the rights) and that no TV station in Ireland could afford such a cost and make a profit or just keep the Government happy.

3. The FAI pointed out that TV3 are giving one whole show to Irish Soccer, what about the Soccer Show which they produced with RTE???

4. If the FAI hadnt relised that Irish TV and Soccer are in dire Straights, why would giving rights to Sky make thinks better.

The FAI, RTE and TV3 couldn't organise a F**k with a Prostitute.

Rupert Murdock Rules the World.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭mike2084

In my opinion RTÉ needs to dump Formula 1. This would free up some cash. I believe when they first bought F1 it cost them IR£230 million. This price can only have gone up since 1995. RTÉ once gave the reason for cutting the number of Horse Racing fixtures transmitted directly towards financing F1. This must surely be eating into the cash reserves for other sports and leaves them with poor bargaining power. There is a now growing list of sporting events disappearing on RTÉ including the British Open, Wimbledon & the first 2 days of the Grand National meeting. I'm not against Formula 1 on TV, I just think it costs a cash strapped company too much if means losing a load of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Originally posted by Michael Walsh
    I believe when they first bought F1 it cost them IR£230 million. This price can only have gone up since 1995

Surely that's a typo?

£230million in '95?

No way.

Although, having said that, Peter (di*khead) Collins is worth about £200million :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

Goodbye RTE it's been fun. I blame Joe Duffy, the homecoming was probably the deciding factor, Not the cash.

Seriously, RTE are close to been finished, they are still playing the TV game as if they are the only crowd in town. Just look at the reports on the 9 O clock news last night and Anne Doyle's " What about the children?" Question to the FAI Chairman. Fair enough it's not right that the football has gone to SKY, but news is supposed to be fair and balanced.

Finally It was not all about money, A fair amount such as 3 and a half million and proper coverage of the game in Ireland would have worked. One of the big problems was coverage at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I really dont know what all the fuss is about. People on these threads should know more about what is going on with satellite broadcasting than the average punter out there. This situation was waiting to happen. I am sure RTE warned Silly De Velara about such a potential development. Sky will come in here and take all our major events, and the best of luck to them as long as they are allowed to. There is no point in blaming the FAI, Sky or RTE. The system is there to allow this to happen!!
    As for the comment that if RTE got rid of Pat Kenny etc, what the hell do you think would happen their already dwindling advertising revenue?? If these high profile broadcasters were allowed to go elsewhere?- Just remember RTE wont survive in its present forrm with one hand tied behind its back- I say, let RTE put up the license fee to whatever, and let the consumer decide whether they want to stay with them. BUT RTE unions beware,license increases ar'nt meant for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

come on sky, buy up the gaa so the public get even more pissed and then it's one less bill every year (the license fee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

Well done Sky!!!!
    This will giv people a good reason
    to ditch the Crapus Chorus Cable
    and the **** aerials and crap RTE.
    Well done Murdoch.
    Anyway Sky is the best TV service
    in the country. I bet you tenner
    if TV3 had to win the rights to show
    the football live, RTE wouldn't complain
    and there are blaming Sky because
    the are bad loser and had no excuse
    but to bame Sky

Originally posted by tombenjr
    Well done Sky!!!!
    This will giv people a good reason
    to ditch the Crapus Chorus Cable
    and the **** aerials and crap RTE.
    Well done Murdoch.
    Anyway Sky is the best TV service
    in the country. I bet you tenner
    if TV3 had to win the rights to show
    the football live, RTE wouldn't complain
    and there are blaming Sky because
    the are bad loser and had no excuse
    but to bame Sky
    It's nice to see some balance in a thread ie not all going the one way on an issue.

I wonder what you mean by Sky being the best television service in Ireland??
    I presume , you mean platform as opposed to television channel.

Because quite frankly as television channels go Sky are Total crap in my opinion, consisting of, on Sky one never ending Simpsons(which I like-but once or twice a week will do thanks) and a large amount of US drivel and constant star trek repeats.

Their sports channels are good , but so they should be as you pay extra for them.

Sky news is not a patch on BBC News 24.

But yes at present they are the best digital tv platform in the land.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Because quite frankly as television channels go Sky are Total crap in my opinion, consisting of, on Sky one never ending Simpsons(which I like-but once or twice a week will do thanks) and a large amount of US drivel and constant star trek repeats.

And don't forget the 15 minutes of adverts per hour.:o

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    I really dont know what all the fuss is about. People on these threads should know more about what is going on with satellite broadcasting than the average punter out there. This situation was waiting to happen. I am sure RTE warned Silly De Velara about such a potential development. Sky will come in here and take all our major events, and the best of luck to them as long as they are allowed to. There is no point in blaming the FAI, Sky or RTE. The system is there to allow this to happen!!
    As for the comment that if RTE got rid of Pat Kenny etc, what the hell do you think would happen their already dwindling advertising revenue?? If these high profile broadcasters were allowed to go elsewhere?- Just remember RTE wont survive in its present forrm with one hand tied behind its back- I say, let RTE put up the license fee to whatever, and let the consumer decide whether they want to stay with them. BUT RTE unions beware,license increases ar'nt meant for them!!

I agree with your point regarding , the Govt. and RTÉ should have seen this coming.
    Soccer matches being so important to people should have been listed as a terrestrial priority and that was the government being asleep.
    It's going to be a huge money spinner for Sky as much as an advertising loss for RTÉ.

Also consider the havoc if these matches were only to be seen on Sky and Ireland were doing well in the tournament.
    most businesses will not be able to put in Sky for the matches in as simple a way as they put RTÉ on during the world cup.
    Something will have to give in that situation.

My earlier point regarding an RTÉ star getting €500k annual salary from them was simply where would that person go??
    Where would the viewers go??
    Looking at the pathetic schedules across all channels on a friday night for instance, a daring overhaul might end up making the same money, whilst freeing up funding for soccer.
    It's high time that younger fresher talent were given the chance to present primetime chat shows and radio programmes for half that salary.
    I also agree with the formula one point-soccer is more important to a public service broadcaster.
    Formula one is more up tv3's street.
    mm

• Advertisement
    byte

Can someone please clarify the whole SKY/TV3 situation.

Do Sky have rights to live away games too?

Do TV3 show game one hour after KO or 1 hour after game finishes?

How many FAI League games will TV3 air live? Will it include any D1 games?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Can someone please clarify the whole SKY/TV3 situation.

Do Sky have rights to live away games too?

Do TV3 show game one hour after KO or 1 hour after game finishes?

How many FAI League games will TV3 air live? Will it include any D1 games?

:)

home games only come into this deal

TV3 News said 1 hour after the game

if it's anything like RTÉ's coverage it will be a great dissappointment. i think you'll be waiting a long time for Division 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I wonder if the FAI have considered the effect on home football of attracting additional viewers into the Sky Sports fold. All that English Premiership football to add to League of Ireland woes.

My other concern is about the commentary/analysis teams. Who will we get? Imagine the situation when Ireland play England at Lansdowne Road and, in the commentators eyes, the Irish team is "them" and England is "us".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont have sky (Thank God) and dont plan to get it. I dont wanna pay over €1500 a year for ****e TV and dont plan to pay another €20 just to watch Ireland play. I would rather buy a ticked to the feckin match... it would be cheaper.

Seeing as though sky now have a monoply on all scoccer games... could you bring them to EU court over being a monopoly? I though the EU didnt want any monopolys in europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

let RTE put up the license fee to whatever, and let the consumer decide whether they want to stay with them.

&
    Originally posted by yankinlk
    come on sky, buy up the gaa so the public get even more pissed and then it's one less bill every year (the license fee)

Do you guys realise a licence fee is required to OWN any TV receiving apparatus, & not to just watch RTE.

So if RTE (the government) upped the licence fee to €1000, & you just watched Sky, you'd still have to pay it.

I assumed everyone knew this, obviously I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

hi,
    This is a big discussion point everywhere. Being a Sky sports subscribe, via NTL since 1996 and then swicthing to Sky Digital earlier this year, I will be a bit biased because Sky Sports I think is brillant and well worth the money. Anyway Want to clarify a few points and make some more.
    1. The irish home matches for until 2006 are on Sky\TV3 now, Not the away matches. This was picked up on RTÉ news on Friday, Their point being that rté paid more for Ireland's away match via Iran, then breaks down for all Irelands that Sky paid. Sounds like a good point, but home much did Dutch and Portuguese TV spend for the Holland and Portugals matches in Dublin in 2001. All that money went to RTE. The fact is the FAI told rte they could have the matches for €1million over a 1/4 of a million less than Sky paid and rte said no.
    2. As per earlier and Ireland On-Sunday's back page today The GAA could go Sky. Not Going to happen. When the rights came up earlier this year Sky like all other TV stations in the UK said there not interested in GAA games, why there is a bout a 2% market in the UK for them. I know there ppv games on Digital in UK now, but that costs SKY zero, because its Setanta, and Setanta have had the rights to GAA in Britian for about 10 years, it costs them zero in production value, because it is a RTE feed. The reason SKy are interested in the Irish soccer matches is because all the Irish players play in the premier league, so the British\European soccer public know the major Majority of the players i.e Robbie Keane, Gary Kelly, Ian Harte so in the UK leeds fan can see 3 of their players playing for Ireland. You dont see SKy breaking themselves to get the rights to Wales or Northern Ireland. So why would Sky go for GAA games. No one in the uk wants to watch those matches. Channel 4 showed the All ireland final live once or twice, I dont think they managed 100,000 viewers.
    3. I agree with a point before, that if TV3 had of got the rights then rte wouldnt be mouthing off. When TV3 got the rights for the Champions League rté's point was, sure they paid well over the odds and will just make a loss on it. Fact those 350K viewers rte got for a Man Utd match dont watch Man Utd on RTE anymore they watch it on TV3, meaninig TV3 get all the commericals money.
    4. Fact rté charged BBC and whoever else wanted to cover the World Cross Country Championships in Dublin last March, IR£350,000.
    5. When Rte got the rights for Irelands home matches in the 6 Nations, they said they were delighted because it was an era where sport was on satelliete.
    6. In 2000 for the first time RTE 1 r 2 didnt cover the Irish golf open, it was covered by TG4. The then head of Sport, (forget his name) was asked why rte didnt cover the IRISH OPEN, his answer "These sports are there for Sateillete broadcasters to cover."
    7. Why do RTE show Formula One when ITV cover it, which is picked up terresatially and on Cable in the Republic, and why also is the Premiership covered when ITV and before that BBC showed it in the Republic. How much of RTE's budget is covered with that?
    8. RTE commintment to domestic Sport is a disgrace, The Eircom league got zero cover. I know a lot of people out there will say its crap, but the BBC and UTV give far better coverage to the Irish League, which by UEFA standards is a far worse league.
    Sports Staduim gave good blanket coverage of all sports, Atheltics cycling even hockey and Sailing got a look. It was removed from rté schuelde in 1997, and never replaced.
    9. I know Im going off topic, but rte decied to axe Glenrore, now I wasnt a fan of Glenrore, but it still pulled in the viewers, they said it was dead, so they replaced with the worset soap I have ever seen. Off Home Ground's script writers should be shot, it is drivell. They look at the popular Dream Team on Sky one about the premiership soccer team. Even thought its very popular, people only watch it, because its bad drama, with good looking women. My mother watches it the odd time, She has no intrest in Sport, but she relates with the actors because they were in Brookside, Cornation Street, etc. Where as she was a big Glenrore fan, She watched Off Home Ground for about 5 minutes and said, why did they make a show about a GAA club.
    So as you see I'm varly hot under the collar over this, but the way RTE have been treating their audience over the last few years Im delighted it happened to them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭mike2084

I say, let RTE put up the license fee to whatever, and let the consumer decide whether they want to stay with them.

Great Idea. I despise the Licence Fee. I would much rather give the money to Sky.

This is a big discussion point everywhere. Being a Sky sports subscribe, via NTL since 1996 and then swicthing to Sky Digital earlier this year, I will be a bit biased because Sky Sports I think is brillant and well worth the money. Anyway Want to clarify a few points and make some more.

A man after my own heart. I went for Sky Sports last August because I was sick of RTÉ losing stuff. Add these events to the list that I began in my earlier post - European & World Athletics Championships, French Open Tennis, Tour de France & ditching Sports Stadium was nothing short of criminal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Since this thread is of note to all ICDG readers, not just Satellite TV viewers...

ATTN:
    Thread moved to the Broadcasting forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catchpole

People can we please get some reality here??

We have been fu***d and we dont even know it .

Rupert must be buisy colouring in another little province on his map of world domination, and its all down to the old saying "nobody ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the public".

And all most contributors here can do is bellyache that RTE are crap and they should have come up with the 7,5m extra, (from where by the way?)

And as for the morons who hate the license fee but think Sky Sports is good value, well I dont suppose the term 'Public Service Broadcasting' or 'Cultural Identity' mean anything to you.

I am contacting every TD ( that would be MP to you in Sky Sport land) to request that none of my tax money be given to a British buisness that wants to screw me.......ie the FAI. Let Murdoc build them a stadium, God knows they wont need a large capacity now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sky have a plan it is very basic but brilliant

what they do is buy the rights to 4 years of live Irish soccer Home and Away.

While people will be watching the Home live matches on sky they will relly not be bother switching to TV3 for the coverage of their live away matches.(And also the Euro 2004 matches on RTE) Thus Sky increases its veiwership and membership in Ireland. the deal helps Irish soccer and TV hahaha? no it helps a foreign TV service grow and The English Perimereship.

Not only that but they gain viewers for the English Premiereship.

Note Sky paid way over the odd for these games for any no payperview channel.

Will TV3 be going after GAA ever???

230,000,000 is about the size of the RTE budget for one year they didnt spend this on F1, anyway the last four year of Irish soccer only cost them 2,000,000 as did the World cup.

RTE had more viewers for Champions League then TV3.

I assume that Sky bought the rights for the Away matches as well as they had most of the Irish matches on sky sports when it was on RTE.

Advertisement