Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Movies So Far This Year?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

For me I think Minority Report , I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You can add Minority Report to my original post, waaay back at the top of this thread! :cool:

Spiderman makes the top 10, while AotC is well outside the top 10....

And Black Hawk Down is STILL sh1t !!
    2 hours of people shooting guns and blowing stuff up, without ANY excitement or tension. Snoozefest. :D

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Have to agree with you on black hawk down , its not the best - found it amusing for a bit - haha look at the americans getting shot - but then put me to sleep.

Well I hope to add the two towers to the list in December!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Spiderman and Panic Room. Haven't gone to the cinema an awful lot this year.

I just saw Ringu this year when it was on channel 4, it made me soil my pants, alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Royal tenebaums
    Training Day
    Oceans 11
    Blade 2
    Spiderman
    Scooby Doo (kids loved it ,i liked it )
    AOTC
    Black Hawk Down
    Lord of the rings(last year but should always get a mention when best movies are being asked)

To name a few .
    After readin some of the above posts i cant believe i didnt go see Dog Soldiers :(

Kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by gandalf
    Biggest pile of cr@p is Star Wars AotC. All those that posted this obviously don't get out to the cinema much :)

Gandalf.

(flameproof_suit = on)

Actually I would give that award to Monsters Ball. Quite possibly the worst film I have ever seen in the cinema.

Best this year...
    Spider-Man

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mostly Seamus has been extremely disappointed.

Liked Spiderman and The Count of Monte Cristo (and Oceans 11)as popcorn movies that did precisely what was required and little more.

Royal Tenenbaums was quite good in a quirky way. I liked A Beautiful Mind.

Minority Report was perfectly acceptable but Spielberg seems to be confusing techno and making social commentary in his desire to make the ultimate sterile Kubrick movie.

Can't think of anything else (which is particularly bad given that I've been to the cinema an average of once a week)

Disappointing year on the whole. No drama that stands out as a classic (Gosford Park missed the boat slightly, though the acting was superb). No comedy that will stand out even at the end of the year. Not even a human interest biopic with the exception of A Beautiful Mind (which really counts as one of last years). No good action flick imho. Almost six months to go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

aye amiele is a 2001 release for those mentioning it..

best film ive seen myself this year is probably the panic room, and even then i didn't find it that engrossing... must go catch minority report this week sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Panic Room
    Minority Report
    Betty Fisher and Other Stories
    No Man's Land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Oceans 11
    Spiderman
    Res Evil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lei Xiejiang

Look out for

Reign of Fire, Simone, Matrix 2, Red Dragon Mr.Canibal, Lord of the Rings ( The name 2 towers may have to go becuase of the WTC in NY), Austin Powers 3, Men in black again.??
    Is there
    Anything I forgot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lei Xiejiang

Of Course there is!
    Up n comming
    French Cinema releases and HongKong releases!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Ali [Enjoyable]
    Episode II [Waste of money]
    Resident Evil [Good Laugh]
    Spiderman [Fantastic!]
    Blade II [Fun]
    Oceans 11 [Really fun film]
    Minority Report [Brilliant]
    The Royal Tenenbaums [Strange but enjoyable]
    Austin Powers 3 [Didn't like it]
    Bad Company [Very Enjoyable]
    Sum Of All Fears [Also very enjoyable]
    MIB II [I liked it, alot didn't]

Wow i've been to the cinema alot these past few months. Next on the list reign of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

oooooooohhhh "XXX", saw it in Canada last month. Not only does it have the cream-inducing Vin Diesel in it, but 90% of the cast are hot, and the scenery is beautiful (Prague....before the rains came :-D ) and there's some kick ass extreme sports stunts.
    Yes, it's brain candy, but it looks awesome, and has a brilliant heavy metal soundtrack.

Also, "The Mothman Prophecies", fantastic freak-the-sh|t outta you film. Made me jump a few times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by Dave
    Ali [Enjoyable]
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Ocean 11 and Star Wars episode 2 are the only films to stick out in my mind this year. There have been an awful lot of nearly there films though.

Monsters ball isn't a bad flick either, just a film you really have to be in the mood to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

EP II is by far the worst movie i've seen this year. The only thing that kept me watching was natalie portman and the brillant cgi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

hi Dave :D

Spiderman

reminded me of all them comics I read as a child

It was so much fun, unlike

Starwars ep 2

which was pants for a number of reasons that we wont get into here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

I just cant remember the films i saw this year-the only good ones i can remember is Minority report,The guru(i quite enjoyed it),frailty.

Thats as far as my memory span can go back to-there has got to be better ones than these this year-just cant remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

The Guru was great in the same kind of vien as "coming to america",the simpsons gag was great,as was the pissed swarmi.
    A good film for a first date.or lazy sunday afternoon

Also enjoyed The One with Jet Li,Sort of Highlander meets the terminator with a bit of the matrix thrown in for good measure

One to Avoid "The Adventures Of Pluto Nash" What was Eddie Murphy thinking of when he signed up for this pile of Poo?Spacetruckers it aint.Hell its not even as good as the aging space balls.
    This movie gets just about everything wrong the pacing is terrible,the mix of humour and over gratuitous gunplay grates the nerves,and murphy never pulls out the stops to make the gunfights seem like anything more than over enthusiastic cgi .
    Labouring murphy with a lumbering obselete robot bodyguard thats too slow to keep up seems to be the raison d'etre for this movie,the whole pitch seems to have been based around this concept which keeps cropping up in various guises throughout the movie
    • Robot to slow to keep up during chase
    • robot runs out of power during escape
    • robot tries to (unsucessfully) disguise it self in hilarious oversize wig

AN OVERSIZED WIG !!!Movie Jokes about Wigs,its like Benny Hill never died a lonely and bitter old man,but somehow survived to wreak his revenge upon us all,by giving us Jokes about Oversized Wigs...Curse You Hollywood Producers,Curse You all to hell.

Finally as the movie grinds towards what might under normal circumstances be called a climax,Guess What,theres a plot twist.
    Not a normal plot twist mind,but a plot twist that makes no fu<king sense whatsoever.Its so illogical and contrieved as to make you want to rip the DVD out of the player and stamp on it.
    By this point you really wont care if the bad guy gets away with it,you will probally be secretly rooting for him,anything to get the movie over before the its last slide into gushing sentimentality that was meant to give the audience a feel good factor,but actually left them quietly wondering if it was really such a wise move for a grown up to be watching a movie about talking robots.

Avoid,Or be damned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ohgratuitous

my favourite movie this year has to be 24 hour party people. it has its flaws but it is superb. steve coogan is nothing short of magical in his performance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Brian Bennette

How about a thread worst film of this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

Spider Man
    A beautiful mind
    Attack of the Clones
    Minority report
    Vanilla Sky

Ill soon be hoping to add the Two Towers and Signs to my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Brian Bennette

Brian Bennette
    How about a thread worst film of this year?

Attack of the Clones was the Worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Also enjoyed The One with Jet Li,

I thought I would...and I did...to an extent.
    I felt it was too short and more could have been made of it.

Training Day.
    We Were Soldiers.

Scooby Doo.
    Resident Evil
    Austin Powers 3: Goldmember [<--Film of the YEAR!]

Black Hawk Down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones
    Spider-Man
    A Beautiful Mind
    Mothman Prophecies [Lethal]
    Panic Room

Worst
    The Royal Tenenbaums [what??]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Training Day
    Minority Report
    24 hour party people cause of steve coogan
    &Lord o tha rings
    wanna c amelie,vanila sky&spiderman now

am pissed off i didnt c blade 2 wrecked
    off me hed in the cinema godamit!

The Royal Tenenbaums was v.good too
    I enjoyed the weirdness,v.original!
    i love the tenis playin chap when ur wan was in the crowd
    (he seems to hav lost it! he's taken off his two shoes and one of his socks heheheh)

Ali is sh1te,austin powers is good when ur off ur face
    an whats the story with that twin towers bein renamed
    fukin dumass americans,jeez it was a tragedy an all why
    are u rubbin it in! ITS A BLEEDIN FANTASY FILM!
    i wouldn't mind if it had sometin to do with terrorism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mike66

Lord of the Rings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

In no particular order:-

Panic room
    Count of Monte Cristo
    Spiderman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

i saw reign of fire in USA and dear jebus was it a peice of shít!! what a waste of 7 dollars def the worst film i saw this year!!

Advertisement