Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who are the biggest sellouts in the music world?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

For me it isn't if a band "sell out" so much as if they stop making good music. I like metallicas old stuff, but their song for MI2... and let's be fair here... sucked. I can't stand Lars Ulrich, and I was talking to someone about a year back who met him backstage and could only describe him as "an @sshole". From a big fan, that about sums it up. But lets face it, back in 87, Axl was still a ba5tard and so was ulrich... didn't stop them making fine music. Well... maybe being a psycho has put a bit of a halt on axl's future (Chinese Democracy grows on you, but it ain't a patch on their old stuff). The fact is, Metallica have decided to go into the nu scene, and from that their music has, I feel, suffered. Of course, there'll be others who'll disagree. And yes, I do feel that making bad music for a quick dollar is being a sellout, but i also think that it doesn't particularly affect me, so why should i really bitch about it?

What DOES annoy me is how every record company this day is out for the quick dollar and isn't willing to give proper music a try. Sure, it may not make $20,000,000 , but it probably will break even if they'd push it somewhat. I take Beautiful Creatures as the major example here. Fantastic album which received no promotional backing from the record company, leading to terrible sales and them losing their record deal (only to be snapped up by a, hopefully, more committed company). So stop going out and bitching at the bands, what they do is their own choice, and a matter of taste. The only problem nowadays is that there's no good new music being released. It's not cause bands are turning away from it, but because the record companies are! GODDAMMIT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

selling out, means giving up what you hold true for money,

metallica were thrash metal and now they are a rock band, was it the bands evolution or selling out for money,

limp bizkit, have been doing the same style for the last few yaers, combined with a free tour across the states and helping to produce more nu rock bands

no doubt, have in my mind sold out to fancey videos and catchey pop tunes

dandy warhols bohemian is only popular coz of vodafone, they released the song 6 months before it went to the ad

its very hard to say this guy or that guy is a sell out, coz its thier lively hood , they have to make a living and secure a future or other good reasons, before some calls a person a sell out, ask them selves have you ever lowered your standereds for money?

i am not a crook

Advertisement