Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who are the biggest sellouts in the music world?

Options
  • 28-05-2002 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

who are the biggest sellouts in the music world?

vote now!!!!!!!!!1

the biggest sellouts 41 votes

Limp Bizket
    0% 0 votes
    Alien Ant Farm
    78% 32 votes
    Offspring
    4% 2 votes
    Sum41
    12% 5 votes
    Eminem/D12
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

so far limp bizkit have 100% of the vote :P

well its only 1 vote, but still *grin* (i didnt vote)

btw this poll is definately biased...none of the bands, cept bizkit, are considered 'sellouts' by the general rock listening type ppl

so ****in what if musicians want to make money from their music
    boo ****in hoo, fred durst moved to beverly hills - so ****in what, at least their music is in the charts and attracting new rock/metal fans

as far as i can see as soon as a metal/rock band starts to make any money/sell millions of records/get to no.1 someone always labels em sellouts

reminds me of the time one of my mates told my typo-o-negative didnt make any money from they're music, if fact they refused to make to much coz they didnt want to be sellouts. pfft what a load of ****e

i could rant for a while more but im beginning the forgot what i wrote at the start so hopefully ya'll get the picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

As much as like Metallica, U2 and The Beatles these are the top 3 grossing bands inthe world ever. You dont become this, if you have not sold out somewhere along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What are your actual ideas on selling out?

How the hell did Alien Ant Farm sell out?
    I thought they were thrust into popularity by their *FIRST* single off their *FIRST* album.

Or am I talking bollocks?
    And all along AAF had been making deep and meaningfull music for years?
    Yet then they changed their sound completely, got a new record company, and made a hit single?

Or was it that they actualy started out that way in the first place?

I'm confused as to what selling out is... :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Y'see, the thing about sellouts is that they go from real to cheesy pop imitations of themselves.

Offspring are the only band there that ever made decent tunes before "selling out".

So hence, they're the only option.

If you meant who are bigger whores, it'd be a close match between Bizkit and White rap guy. At least Sum 41 are playful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Metallica are far from sellouts, these guys are the guys that tour...tour and, um wait, ahh yes, tour.

They cannot be sellouts, they dont preform on MTV for more fame, they dont make music videos that are shown every 20 seconds on Kerrang... they dont do lousy interviews that result in them being in the eyes of the press... they are just touring rockers, and you call them sellouts? when have they dont movie themes, TV program themes, commercials, did you ever see Kirk Hammet drinking a sprite and saying "Sprite doesnt help you play the guitar, all it does is quinch your thirst..."

Metallica are a straight up rock band, they are as natural as they can be.

If anyone gets my vote its that stupid punk from Detroit, raps white discrace, Eminem...

"My mom sued me for 10 million" next song "my family sue me"
    next song "Maybe they'll sue me" new song "I got the lawsuits out of the way, sue me"

He is an attention seeking little brat, worse than Roy Keane if you ask me.

Eron - Die Eminem
    "I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, but nothing irritates me like this stupid, retarted kid..."

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Eron
    Metallica are far from sellouts, these guys are the guys that tour...tour and, um wait, ahh yes, tour.

And of course, they don't make any money from tours! :rolleyes:
    No sir! They put on shows for free! :rolleyes:
    They cannot be sellouts, they dont preform on MTV for more fame, they dont make music videos that are shown every 20 seconds on Kerrang...

Their last single, I dissapear, for the MI2 film was played all the time.

And their next single, is going to be featuring the rapper Ja Rule.
    Now, if that isn't selling out, I don't know what is!

Lars: "Hey, you see this lads? All these rock bands have rappers! WE NEED A RAPPER TO MAKE MORE MONEY!"

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

They cannot be sellouts, they dont preform on MTV for more fame, they dont make music videos that are shown every 20 seconds on Kerrang... they dont do lousy interviews that result in them being in the eyes of the press... they are just touring rockers, and you call them sellouts? when have they dont movie themes, TV program themes, commercials, did you ever see Kirk Hammet drinking a sprite and saying "Sprite doesnt help you play the guitar, all it does is quinch your thirst..."

If anyone gets my vote its that stupid punk from Detroit, raps white discrace, Eminem...

next song "Maybe they'll sue me" new song "I got the lawsuits out of the way, sue me"

He is an attention seeking little brat, worse than Roy Keane if you ask me.

Eron - Die Eminem
    "I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, but nothing irritates me like this stupid, retarted kid..."

Quit talking ****e... Metallica are the biggest sellouts in the history of Metal. They probably are the worst band for sueing people in history (Napster, a furanture company, possibly Cannibal Corpse, not too sure though...) the list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

True, but they were once a straight up thrash metal band, look how far they have fallen.

haha your heroes Metallica would never sue anyone....

They sued a perfume company at one stage for naming one of their products "Metallica"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

I/M/O a band has only sold out if they go against their own ideals and creative impulses in order to make money. Just being commerical is not enough to make one a sell-out if that was your goal then you never sold out.

I hesitate to call any band sell-out just based on change in musical style really you cant know unless you know what they were thinking when they created the work in question. If it induces nausea while making them rich probably they have sold-out.

everytime an album is made or a song is written in the intrest of either signing to a label or getting radioplay there is some "selling" going on. Once music is packaged as a product there are gerenally some creative concessions to be made. This is just a fact of working in an "industry" where music is a "product" I dont think simply working in this context makes a band/artist a sell-out as long as they at some level adhere to what they believe in artistically.

Seems to me that Metallica sold out pretty hard because what they are up to with videos, box-sets, lawsuits etc seems against the ideals they originally espoused. Of course being "anti-establishment" is partly what made them "popular" to begin with so that was sort of marketing anyway... the music world is too full of contradictions. The art/product divide is not really something that can me managed easily.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by atonal
    I.

Seems to me that Metallica sold out pretty hard because what they are up to with videos, box-sets, lawsuits etc seems against the ideals they originally espoused.
    Exactly, how many times did we hear that fag Ulrich tell us about the good old days when they used to tape trade and bootleg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Re-releasing songs on a so called best of album cough Garage inc. Dont get started on special edition albums, covers etc. Open up any guitar/ drum magazine and you'll see a pic of hetfield or lars endorseing some new guitar or drum kit.

la la la la is that your boyfriend, is that your girlfriend. na na na na aint it funny it must be tha ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

Originally posted by AngelWhore

How the hell did Alien Ant Farm sell out?
    I thought they were thrust into popularity by their *FIRST* single off their *FIRST* album.

:

Movies was AAFs first single it didnt do too well but it was good at the time. they then released a cover of smooth criminal to earn some brownie points with MTV as MTV love michael jackson. having built up a relationship with mtv they remixed movies and released it a second time with a different video

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

most of those bands gained commerical success thru MTV marketing...

so, if u really want to make omney easy in music, just get an MTV friendly record company or publisher etc...

eminem was always a prat so he never got to sell out. he's just a kid looking for some attention.

sellout of the year has to go to.........fatboy slim

i know he's a dance artistand this is a rock/metal forum, but he started out real good. now eh's just as bland as the next dance "guru" of the milisecond.:mad:

i'm going to calm down and think now for a bit(maybe i'll find a proper rock sellout....) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by fisifan01
    Movies was AAFs first single it didnt do too well but it was good at the time. they then released a cover of smooth criminal to earn some brownie points with MTV as MTV love michael jackson. having built up a relationship with mtv they remixed movies and released it a second time with a different video

I think you'll find that Smooth Criminal was released before movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Biggest sellouts in the history of Rock'n'roll are Bob Dylan and Simon & Garfunkel

Both when they abandoned their folkie roots to sell a few records.

That's it - I've said it (now to move on to happier things)

(as an aside, I hated the crap they used to sing before they abandoned their folkie roots)

You expect Metallica to make no money off of their tours? what are they ment to live on, the broken guitar strings from Kirks guitar? Do you think the San Francisco orchestra just walse on in and say 'oh jolly good day, I fink we will all do this, free of charge... because we are all nice and **** like that'...

Think it through before you make wild accusations, and as far as Metallica go in the past/present... out of ALL of their albumbs and records, how many videos have they maken? 4 to my knowledge... the rest are live coverege of the bands, taken by TV stations or fans with a cam corder.

I just wanted to have my eminem vote, thats all... I just heard someone saying they were the BIGGEST sellouts out there, now, even if they have done 2 or 3 money making videos, after all of their touring and their anti-TV attitude, dont they deserve a little money?

And yes, all bands make up originaly to make music, but eventualy turn to getting rappers, or well known music figures to make more money.... its the way it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

'selling out' is far too complicated to be able to simply label a band as sellouts

all artists endorse certain products, most also produce 'greatest hits' albums or 'b-sides' complinations

someone said bob dylan and S&G were sellouts coz they abonded their roots...did they ? or did they just want to experiment a little and take their music in new directions ? guess we'll never know

And yes, all bands make up originaly to make music, but eventualy turn to getting rappers, or well known music figures to make more money.... its the way it goes.

yes, thats pretty much the way it goes, but how long can u really expect bands like metallica to keep making the same sort of records before they themselves start to get alittle bored of it ? after all, they're getting older, maturing, mellowing out

btw : movies really was aaf's first single :p it crashed so bad and got basically zero air time...just goes to show what a shiny video and a good cover of a 'classic' can do for your career :p

What you said was true, just everyone know that when you get to someone like Metallica's stage, 22 years around, families, 10 albums or so, god knows HOW many songs, they too want some money... making 1 or 2 videos isnt realy gona hurt anyone - and they DO deserve it.

- Eron -

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

The Dandy Warhols-
    " ooh, we're so arty and bohemian- blah blah blah"

"oh hello mister enormous telecommunications conglomerate- yes, of course you can use our song in your ad in a feeble attempt to appear "with it" and "down" with the young dudes"

if that's not selling out i don't know what is!!!

• Advertisement

You expect Metallica to make no money off of their tours? what are they ment to live on, the broken guitar strings from Kirks guitar? Do you think the San Francisco orchestra just walse on in and say 'oh jolly good day, I fink we will all do this, free of charge... because we are all nice and **** like that'...

Think it through before you make wild accusations, and as far as Metallica go in the past/present... out of ALL of their albumbs and records, how many videos have they maken? 4 to my knowledge... the rest are live coverege of the bands, taken by TV stations or fans with a cam corder.

"Wild Accustations"???
    Don't be such a drama queen!
    Where did I "Accuse" anyone of anything?

And as for the touring thing, it was *YOU* who made the statement:

You say it as if touring was some kind of anti commercial statement!
    Because they tour they can't be sellouts?

And where did I say anything like "They should tour for free" or something of that sort.
    Because I have no idea where you're getting this rubbish.

Take notice of the rolleyes smiley in my previous post, which I thought would denote sarcasm.

look angelWHORE, I was directing that at not just yours, but the other anti-metallica posts. I am not realy going to apologise for what I said, because I said nothing wrong - I just didn't go into proper detail. Metallica didn't/don't have time to be sellouts, I didn't mean touring as an anti-sell out statement. Anti-video's, I fing that an anti-sellout statement, and as you said, they've had their couple - but as I have said, 3 or 4 videos out of well over 100 songs, isnt that bad.

Eron

Again, don't be such a drama-queen!
    I'm not asking you to apologise.

And so what if it was directed towards everyone?
    Does that mean I can't respond?

And I think they've had a few more than just 3 or 4 videos.
    One, The Memory Remains, Until It Sleeps, Enter Sandman, Fuel, Turn The Page, I disapear.
    I'm pretty sure there's a couple more, just can't think of them offhand.
    Thee guesses where I saw 'em all? MTV! :D

Metallica ****ing suck now, that's all that matters:D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Anti-video's, I fing that an anti-sellout statement, and as you said, they've had their couple - but as I have said, 3 or 4 videos out of well over 100 songs, isnt that bad.

Eron
    I happen to remember them saying something in a mag a good few years back about "Not releasing a video".

And when have almost all these videos come from? The last two studio albums. So please save your energy and stop defending a case that is already closed.

METALLICA ARE SELLOUTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Mettalica are money gluging businessmen these days rather than real musicans.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Who took a humourous slant on this back in the 60s, by recording an album called "The Who Sell Out".

It was a collection of jingles for imaginary products.

I can't believe ye're even *trying* to debate the morals and ethics of Metallica. :)

"Yes yes, it really is unforgiveable that these multi millionaires are trying to display some business acumen. Frightful stuff that, protecting their pension funds and whatnot"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'd be a fool to not jump at the chance to make a bit of cash out of what you love doing. That said, you can't abandon your principles in the pursuit of cash, but who knows what any of us would do in the same position. It's all easy to judge when you're not sitting in a chair, with someone waving a $50 million dollar contract under your nose.

That said, Eminem has been the biggest sellout over the last two years.
    First album - boo hoo, I've got no money, no life and my mom hates me.
    Second Album - boo hoo, I've got loads of money, everyone pretends they like me, and my mom still hates me.
    Third Album - boo hoo, I've nothing to complain about now, so how am I gonna write music, and my mom stilll hates me.

I think the only person he hasn't turned his back on since releasing the second album is Dre. Even everyone he 'praised' in his second album he bitches about in the third one. He also claimed he would 'kick the ****' out of the person who managed to get their hands on his new album before release, and sell it on the internet. Mr. Inem seems a bit angry about not being able to add another ivory backscratcher to his collection.

Offspring - sellouts? They've never made loads out of their music, and have never really pimped it. They were always popular with the younger crew anyway, and never had more than 1 'proper' hit out of an album. The music has progressed from angry punk to happy/funny/silly punk, but then Dexter is pushing 40......... I don't remember them ever doing a pop gig, or a huge gig for that matter. Great gig in the SFX a few years back.

:)

I'm finished argueing, wasnt as fun as it was at first... the numbers are notching up against me now.

Eron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Actually Movies was the first single from Alien Ant Farm
    If you were in a band would rather make lots of money and have a wide fan base or make little and have a small but dedicated fan base, i would rather make lots of money, making music is a job for them, not a hobby.

Advertisement