Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I love you"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Lolo
    Relationships have life-spans, it doesn't make them any less valid, or mean that you loved each other any less, just because they didn't last a lifetime. Most human beings are much better suited to serial, rather than life-long, monogamy.
    In the form of relationship you advocate, it’s a simple case of two consenting adults being together until either wants to walk out. Grand.

Many long-term relationships are not that simple however. One party may have to sacrifice their own career for the betterment of the other party. Assets, from the purely material, such as property, to even offspring are mutually developed also. Finally, there are the familial bonds with each other’s extended families that become important components to such a relationship. The practice of marring someone, in part, because of complimentary careers or family connections is not all that uncommon.

Hence, there are many cases where a more binding commitment is preferable by either or both parties. I’m not advocating either serial or life-long monogamy; just pointing out that the justification for either is different.

Still, returning on-topic: No. Not since I reached adulthood. Has it been said to me? Rarely, perhaps once or twice - generally by bunny boilers. I think you tend to hear more diplomatic terms, the older you get, given the word’s clichéd reputation; like “you’re the only man/woman I’m interested in” or “I don’t know how I’d live without you”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

All very true (re. assets, offspring etc.) - it does make splitting up considerably messier, but I still think that a relationship that lasted 15 years and produced kids etc. isn't a failed one, it just ran its course.

I hope I never reach the kind of 'adulthood' where a proffession of love is considered the carrying-card of a 'bunny-boiler'. (I wish somebody would make a film with an obsessive make character so that an equivalent male term can be coined).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

HMMM,
    I am curious WWM, why you think it's rubbish?

LOLO, thanks...I also agree with you that because the relationship ended after a few years it does not mean it failed, it has just run it's course. some people cant stay in love forever, so they move on...in these cases, perhaps they were not with the "one" but one of many. Everyone is different, no relationship can be generalized and no one can say what's right for another. We all have our opinion on what we think life should be and what a relationship is...it's all in how you are raised, we are products of our environments after all.
    Corinthian also makes good points, as he usualy does ;)

I prefer to live in the illusion that I will find a love that will last a lifetime, but not at this point in my life, I have a lifetime ahead of me for that...and yes WWM, I am single...and lolo hit it on the head,
    read my sig ;)

All very true (re. assets, offspring etc.) - it does make splitting up considerably messier, but I still think that a relationship that lasted 15 years and produced kids etc. isn't a failed one, it just ran its course.
    If it was never intended to be a permanent arrangement, then certainly it wasn’t. If the original agreement was “till death do us part”, etc. then of course it was a failure as may of the decisions made in the relationship would have been made on the premise of this commitment.
    I hope I never reach the kind of 'adulthood' where a proffession of love is considered the carrying-card of a 'bunny-boiler'.
    With some luck if and when you say it will be both true and reciprocated, rather than a licence to stalk someone. In bocca al lupo.
    (I wish somebody would make a film with an obsessive make character so that an equivalent male term can be coined).
    Psycho?

You don't really hear guys refered to as "a bit of a Norman Bates" very often though, and it's not quite the same thing either - I just don't like the way the term "bunny boiler" seems to be an exclusively female put-down, as if only women acted in that way.

• Advertisement

You don't really hear guys refered to as "a bit of a Norman Bates" very often though, and it's not quite the same thing either - I just don't like the way the term "bunny boiler" seems to be an exclusively female put-down, as if only women acted in that way.
    Well, I don’t hear many women being referred to as ‘Bast@rds’ either, but you don’t see me burning any of my underwear over it :p

No one’s denying the male equivalent or stopping you from coining/using your own phrase or term.

Originally posted by The Corinthian

If it was never intended to be a permanent arrangement, then certainly it wasn’t. If the original agreement was “till death do us part”, etc. then of course it was a failure as may of the decisions made in the relationship would have been made on the premise of this commitment.

I just don't think that people should attempt life-long commitment as often as they do.
    Originally posted by The Corinthian

With some luck if and when you say it will be both true and reciprocated, rather than a licence to stalk someone. In bocca al lupo.

I say it quite a lot to my youngfella actually, and it is reciprocated, thank you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    But then, I've had more games consoles then girlfriends so what do I know?

What a cool Tshirt this would make! [/QUOTE]

Well in fairness, I heard it from Sico first.

I just don't think that people should attempt life-long commitment as often as they do.
    I agree.
    I say it quite a lot to my youngfella actually, and it is reciprocated, thank you.;)
    Good for you.

OK, you're right I'm just bitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by IRISHLILY24
    HMMM,
    I am curious WWM, why you think it's rubbish?

i think its rubbish because you chop and change what you say to twist about other peoples opinions.
    you are one of the really annoying people who inhabit the internet, act as if they are about 17 and female, lol a lot because you think its cool, call everyone 'hon' in that oh so worldly patronising way and cant stand to think that anyone might disagree with you, or even worse, not like you.
    you have yet to put up what i would call a 'real-world' answer, instead insist on spouting some fantasy world bull about the ideas of love.
    just because you have had problems with people in the past who have said they love you. im getting a feeling that theres only one contstant in all these situations..... you.
    you are the one who cant seem to cope with it. perhaps you should grow up. please dont go to ireland. we have enough 'irish-americans' to cope with without one more plank in the woodpile
    I prefer to live in the illusion that I will find a love that will last a lifetime, but not at this point in my life, I have a lifetime ahead of me for that...and yes WWM,

really?
    you think so?
    your personality seems to be off, so you better hope your looks keep.
    , I am single...and lolo hit it on the head,
    read my sig ;)

oh how deep and philosophical of you. i think therefore im single.
    no you are single because you tell us you push people away.
    any monkey with a keyboard can come up with something witty to say. hey look, it must be true, its in my .sig too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

People should do whatever they want to do, just for god sake don't tell people you love them when you don't. It'll just upset other people's lives and cause for more bunny-boilers (gotta love that term).

p.s.
    WWM, are you psychic or something? Cos you just hit the nail on the head there, I'm just too nice to say it. (IRISHLILY24 This person is on your Ignore List.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Jebus....hate to see you when you are not being nice.

Stop calling me Jebus! ;)
    Her.."I love you"

Him ..."I love being with you too" [/B]

Ha! remember that one. T'was good. Like the ole "I love you"/"I like you a lot too" one. or "I love you"/"Aw thanks". Ouch.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

i think its rubbish because you chop and change what you say to twist about other peoples opinions.
    you are one of the really annoying people who inhabit the internet, act as if they are about 17 and female, lol a lot because you think its cool, call everyone 'hon' in that oh so worldly patronising way and cant stand to think that anyone might disagree with you, or even worse, not like you.
    you have yet to put up what i would call a 'real-world' answer, instead insist on spouting some fantasy world bull about the ideas of love.
    just because you have had problems with people in the past who have said they love you. im getting a feeling that theres only one contstant in all these situations..... you.
    you are the one who cant seem to cope with it. perhaps you should grow up. please dont go to ireland. we have enough 'irish-americans' to cope with without one more plank in the woodpile

really?
    you think so?
    your personality seems to be off, so you better hope your looks keep.

oh how deep and philosophical of you. i think therefore im single.
    no you are single because you tell us you push people away.
    any monkey with a keyboard can come up with something witty to say. hey look, it must be true, its in my .sig too.

I suppose I could reduce myself to yours and koneko's level, but I live in the real world and wont let "this" get me in a twist, you are afterall, a couple of computer identities ;) sorry to disappoint you, but I have more important things in my life to occupy my time
    I dont know why...but the word Spam comes to mind:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

indenial.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by amp
    I only say it if I really mean it, and I'm not in fact saying it just to please someone or if I happen to have intense, probably highly sexual feelings for them.

Well, you told me you loved me! Does this mean that you.......oh I'm SO excited!! When can we move in together?! Oh puleeeeeaaaase? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

I suppose I could reduce myself to yours and koneko's level, but I live in the real world and wont let "this" get me in a twist, you are afterall, a couple of computer identities ;) sorry to disappoint you, but I have more important things in my life to occupy my time

Yeah jesus make sure you don't reduce yourself to WWMan's level. Imagine being that sad, talking to "losers" with no lives on the "Internet" that use "computer identities". Oh wait, you already are.....ah.

"I think therefore I am single"???

So how long are you going to "choose" to be single? You'll find in the end of the day that people who have someone to come home to will end up with a lot more of a life than a single girl posting to a chat board, calling people "hon", hoping that she is getting the spotty little nerds excited at the possible prospect of a ride.

How many times do we have to hear the "life" sh1te. "ooh, I have a life, I pull loads of birds/lads, I go out drinking all the time, I get lots of sex". Grow up, its all irrelevant. Nobody gives a shit. WWMan was the only person on this whole thread who gave any form of a normal answer to the original question.

You either love somebody or you dont, it's fuckin as simple as that. Anyone who is any way secure in themselves will say it if they think it and wont if they dont. And it's nothing to do with a commitment of any kind, people fall out of love just as easily as they fall in.

Yawn, jesus.

WWM & ZERO
    yawn is correct. get over yourselves, and one last comment...
    When have I have called anyone hon? zero is backing up a comment that WWM made, that isnt true??? I have never called anyone HON in my entire life...not that I need to defend this point, I find it funny that 2 people are making a point about something that never happened...I think you have me confused with someone else, get your facts straight before you elaborate on them...This thread has gone totally off topic, spam anyone?
    and that is all I have to say about that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

and that is all I have to say about that.:rolleyes:

(c)Forrest Gump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

This thread has gone totally off topic, spam anyone?

Um no...it wandered slightly off topic, I have been keeping an eye on it.

It will remain open.

Continued flaming however will be deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    [
    Do you just go..” I love you to” back? When you don’t mean it?
    Do you say..”hold on a second now”?
    Can you just say it and not care?

I dont think it's right to just say it back if you dont mean it, you can joke your way out and just say "I know" with a grin...or you can stop your mate and talk about it...be honest, if they cant take it then they can move on or wait it out, whatever.

oh, what does spam mean?

but really you havent answered any of the questions put to you about love, the way you seem to push people away, or your inability to keep your opinion in any straight line.
    so, therefore i still think whatever you have to say about the topic of love is in fact, rubbish.
    come to think of it, you havent said anything interesting on these boards. ever.

I love this Ignore list ... I wish I had used it before, ofcourse I had no use for it before wwm and koneko showed thier lovable sides... and to get back on topic,
    Love is simple but we complicate it with our own thoughts of what love should be. The words I love you should never be said unless you mean it and will mean it forever, afterall if you love someone it isnt something that should change over time, even being in love with someone may change but you will still love that person. Love is really much simpler than all of this.

I think this thread has run it's course and should be put to sleep, before the rest of us are...

I second that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I love this Ignore list ... I wish I had used it before, ofcourse I had no use for it before wwm and koneko showed thier lovable sides... and to get back on topic,
    Whew..

Love is simple but we complicate it with our own thoughts of what love should be. The words I love you should never be said unless you mean it and will mean it forever, afterall if you love someone it isnt something that should change over time, even being in love with someone may change but you will still love that person. Love is really much simpler than all of this.

So you don't think anything could happen to causes you to stop loving someone? or is it that I can't tell someone I love them untill I decide that I will love them forever, no mater what happens or what they do?

Have you ever been in a serious long-term relationship? (This is a serious question, not an attempt at having a go. I am asking it in all seriousness.. We know how ppl can "mis-interpret things" online :rolleyes: )

[Edit]Oh yeah, and while love is many things, I have found it can often be anything but simple...[/Edit]

[Edit 2]Go away Victor.. call this pre-emptive ;)[/Edit 2]

The words I love you should never be said unless you mean it and will mean it forever,

enjoy your very very lonely lilfe. no wonder you are single.
    , afterall if you love someone it isnt something that should change over time,

i take it you have never been in love then
    Love is really much simpler than all of this.

see above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement