Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I love you"

Options
  • 17-05-2002 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Women throw around the 'L' word way too freely. I rearly hear a guy say it. I wouldn't say it unless i really ment it, and i'd tell the woman that, i'd have to be very seriously commited to a woman b4 i'd say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I've had guys tell me that they love me, once or twice i've had the reaction: "No you don't" cause it was too soon/too obvious they didnt.

In general someone would usually say it to me first, but once or twice I've said it, through nervousness and whaever it thens to be difficult to say.

When you dont love them back? I'd say "I'm pretty damn mad about you too"

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by smiles
    When you dont love them back? I'd say "I'm pretty damn mad about you too"
    lol :)

I'd probably do the same, use some witty comment or facial expression to avoid saying it!

I knew/ know this young one, never went out with her yet she kept saying "I love you", i always replied with a sarcatic comment and a laugh, actually i reply to most statements that way!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

Has any male used these words first in a relationship? I have never. My mates tell me they have not either. And the girls all say they were first. I have been put in that position twice in the last 9 months. Why must it be said? Why do women ask it? Its almost an off the cuff remark to be made by them I think? Do they not understand the pressure it creates inside the head?
    Sometimes a big thing. Said it first to my current girlfriend.

Do you just go..” I love you to” back? When you don’t mean it?
    Do you say..”hold on a second now”?
    Can you just say it and not care?
    Are you man enough to say..look what we have is good but….

Do you have an advanced way of saying “me too” without using the words I love you? Can you share it with me?

I've told the odd woman that it's too soon for me to know. But I'm good at doing that and making it sound like a good thing. Makes it seem like more if I ever get around to saying it.

As a trick, there's a way of hugging a woman after she says it first that gets you out of the situation totally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I LOVE saying "I love you" to Roberta, then getting the reply "I love you too" and knowing deep down that we both really mean it. We then launch into an intense hugging and kissing session, which is FUN!!!! So saying "I love you" IS very important!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I don't think that you should even think about saying the three little words. When you do not have to think about saying it then you know it is the right time for it to be said. I have said it to a couple of people and meant it every time. I love my GF and have told her so, I told her before she told me ( Well at least I think I did, she has since mentioned that she said it to me when she was drunk but I reckon that does not count) and the reaction I got from her was astounding. I couldn't even imagine how bad I'd feel if I had said that to her just for something to say and it had illicited that response. As for the getting out of it when it is said to you part, I have found that one of two things work for me.

1 If it is way early in a relationship and it most likely is not true :- Act shocked and then discuss it with her.
    2 Tell her that she is someone that you could see yourself falling in love with and that when you do tell her She will know that it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The most dangerous people in the whole world are the people who say 'I love you' just because they want to hear it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

well if your used to throwing out witty comments, and you are in the "I love you-" situation you can always use "yeh, i love me too">laugh, hug.

it usually leads to a warm, but inconclusive result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

"yeh, i love me too">laugh, hug.

Damn, I always do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I can't say it unless I mean it. Which brought about the end of a few long term relationships.

Sometimes you don't need to say it - you just know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yes, i said it first to my girlfriend.
    shocked her a bit i think.
    and i tell her all the time.
    and damn it if i dont mean it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by azezil
    I'd probably do the same, use some witty comment or facial expression to avoid saying it!
    Or maybe fake a seizur therefore completely changing the topic;)

I'd probably go for an "i love me too"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Once after 3 months a girl said that to me and I totally freaked, broke up with her and she now hates me.

In another relationship after just over a year I was given the three words and I reacted in kind with an "I love you too" although I knew deep down something wasn't right about it and she broke up with me 2 months later.

Last but not least after a year and a half I was given the three words and we talked about it, I couldn't say it for the sake of it although my feelings for her were v.strong and I managed to convince her that it was too soon for us to be thinking about each other like that ;)

I broke up with her due to sheer fear :o and we are now vg friends and who knows what may come in the future :D

All in all I feel it just has to be said naturally, I see people say it and to me it would seem they are saying it for some sort of extra security or to fulfill some emptiness in their lives or just to settle for the person they are currently seeing, only time will tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

To be honest in this idiots perspective "I love you" is no way to express love, love has got to be exprssed in ways that words can't describe, but I'm an idiot so what would I know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Mercury the moment you said I have a t-shirt I kinda dozed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

I have a t-shirt that says...

Merc, I don't think Corega was talking about you when he mentioned the idiot thing. I think he was talking about being a fool for lurve (cue Barry White).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Fo what it's worth, my boyfriend said it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

New question... is there any such thing as Love? Or is it just a real strong attraction to someone?

• Advertisement

Of course there is, but the problem is the English language only has one word to express the kinds of love you feel for your significant other, your parents, your best friend, your favourite band and your favourite food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by Saruman
    New question... is there any such thing as Love? Or is it just a real strong attraction to someone?

Doesn't it being a real strong attraction to someone make it a such thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

This is a good question.
    I have been told I love you, by guys I was dating on 6 occasions, and only one of them was sincere , I was propsed to by 2 of them and the one that I believe was sincere asked me to move in with him. Men are strange creatures ;) I broke up with all of them within a week of hearing those words as it freaked me out that they could say that and I didnt feel the same way towards them, and the 2 that wanted to marry me, psychos! how can you want to marry someone that hasnt expressed their love for you, and I didnt...I mean I had strong feelings for them, but marriage? that's nuts. I have only ever met 1 person that I thought I could spend my life with, and we ended up just being good friends. Life is funny that way ;)
    any way, I only said it once, and after I said it I wished I hadnt because it didnt feel right...I was seeing one of them off at a bus station and it just slipped, ughh mistake.
    oh well, live and learn. I "love" everyone, but when you are dating someone or in a relationship , to utter those words it holds different meaning.
    I love life and everyone I come in contact with, and I can tell my family and best friends that I love them, so why is it complicated telling someone you are "with" that you love them? because you should love them to be with them, but you may not be "in" love with them, ya know....oh well I am rambling now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by alb

Doesn't it being a real strong attraction to someone make it a such thing?

I think some people did nto understand the question.. IRISHLILY24 understood it though...

What i wonder is.. Love.. is it something different to a strong attraction? Im talking about Love for someone of the opposite sex (or same ff your that way inclined!) and not parental love.. thats another topic...

Anyway is it this magical thing thats different to liking someone a hell of a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

Yes Saruman,
    It is most definitley different. Having a strong attraction for someone will not last forever...it's like lusting after someone, once you've got past that, what have you got?
    Being in love with someone, I feel, is something that should last a lifetime, usually these things start out as great friendships...having things in common, relating on many levels etc...
    if you are able to see yourself spending a lifetime being with a person and always wanting to be with them, I think that is love.
    if you are dating someone and they are great "but" then you probably know it isnt going anywhere and you may love them but your not 'in' love with them. Marriage should never be the "next step" in these cases, it should be something entered into when both people cant imagine ever being without one another, growing old together, etc...
    Being in love is great, but how many of us ever really find "it"
    I have loved many, but never really been "in" love.
    There is definitley a difference.;)

Think I have gone astray in my thoughts again, lol sorry:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I only say it if I really mean it, and I'm not in fact saying it just to please someone or if I happen to have intense, probably highly sexual feelings for them.

But then, I've had more games consoles then girlfriends so what do I know? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by IRISHLILY24
    Yes Saruman,
    It is most definitley different. Having a strong attraction for someone will not last forever...it's like lusting after someone, once you've got past that, what have you got?
    Being in love with someone, I feel, is something that should last a lifetime, usually these things start out as great friendships...having things in common, relating on many levels etc...
    if you are able to see yourself spending a lifetime being with a person and always wanting to be with them, I think that is love.
    if you are dating someone and they are great "but" then you probably know it isnt going anywhere and you may love them but your not 'in' love with them. Marriage should never be the "next step" in these cases, it should be something entered into when both people cant imagine ever being without one another, growing old together, etc...
    Being in love is great, but how many of us ever really find "it"
    I have loved many, but never really been "in" love.
    There is definitley a difference.;)

Think I have gone astray in my thoughts again, lol sorry:p

yeah, but your single for a reason.
    becuase you talk an awful lot of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

But then, I've had more games consoles then girlfriends so what do I know?[/QUOTE AMP]

What a cool Tshirt this would make!

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

yeah, but your single for a reason.
    becuase you talk an awful lot of rubbish.

I think she was making perfect sense! And she's probably single because she wants to be, judging by her sig.

The only thing I don't agree with her on is the whole concept of love being something that has to be "for life" - I've never agreed that a relationship that lasted a few years and then ended is a "failed" one. Relationships have life-spans, it doesn't make them any less valid, or mean that you loved each other any less, just because they didn't last a lifetime. Most human beings are much better suited to serial, rather than life-long, monogamy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Love is Like a Bottle of Gin-

It makes you blind, it does you in
    It makes you think you're pretty tough
    It makes you prone to crime and sin
    It makes you say thing off the cuff

It's very small and made of glass
    and grossly over-advertised
    It turns a genius into an ass
    and makes a fool think he is wise

It could make you regret your birth
    or turn cartwheels in your best suit
    It costs a lot more than it's worth
    and yet there is no substitute

They keep it on a higher shelf
    the older and more pure it grows
    It has no color in itself
    but it can make you see rainbows

You can find it at the Bowery
    or you can find it at Elaine's
    It makes your words more flowery
    It makes the sun shine, makes it rain

You just get what they put in
    and they never put in enough
    Love is like a bottle of gin
    but a bottle of gin is not like love.....

The Magnetic Fields

Advertisement