Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fantasy Trilogy/series/Book?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Q_Elexra wrote:
    There's a Magician Trilogy?????
    As such yes. The first series is the Riftwar Saga:

Magician
    Silverthorn
    A Darkness At Sethanon.

Then there's the Krondor trilogy but - unlike the other series - probably best read after the Serpentwar Saga despite the fact events take place before it:
    Krondor: The Betrayal
    Krondor: The Assassins
    Krondor: Tear of the Gods

Following that there's two (mostly) self contained novels:

Prince of the Blood
    The King's Bucaneer.

Then there's there's a quartet of books - the Serpent War Saga:
    Shadow of a Dark Queen
    Rise of a Merchant Prince
    Rage of a Demon King
    Shards of a Broken Crown

Following *that* there's the Conclave of Shadows series:
    Talon of the Silverhawk
    King of Foxes
    Exile's Return

Then there's a number of collaborative efforts:
    Honored Enemy
    Murder in LaMut
    Jimmy the Hand.... these three can mostly be read separate to the others which are all part of the ongoing mythos.

Oh and, FYI, coming soon in the future:
    Krondor: The Crawler
    Kronder: The Dark Mage (completing the Krondor cycle of before)

AND - assumedly taking place after the Conclave of Shadows series - we have the Darkwar Saga:
    Agent of Chaos
    Into A Dark Realm
    Wrath of a Mad God

So, all in all, I've listed 16 more books that you can go out and buy, and 6 more on the way - ALL set in the world of Magician. Enough for ya? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Is Exile's Return out yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭CrazyOtter

Hobbit & LOTR

Micheal Moorcock's work

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

I also liked Anne McCaffrey's Pern books. Although SF based, it has more of a fantasy feel to it.

Roger Zalanzy's Amber series

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Is Exile's Return out yet?
    Nope. It was a bit mean of me to post it. Out later this year - no delays unlike some authors *cough*georgerrmartin* we could mention. Having said that there's probably going to be a slight difference in the quality of writing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

ixoy wrote:
    As such yes. The first series is the Riftwar Saga:

Magician
    Silverthorn
    A Darkness At Sethanon.

Then there's the Krondor trilogy but - unlike the other series - probably best read after the Serpentwar Saga despite the fact events take place before it:
    Krondor: The Betrayal
    Krondor: The Assassins
    Krondor: Tear of the Gods

Following that there's two (mostly) self contained novels:

Prince of the Blood
    The King's Bucaneer.

Then there's there's a quartet of books - the Serpent War Saga:
    Shadow of a Dark Queen
    Rise of a Merchant Prince
    Rage of a Demon King
    Shards of a Broken Crown

Following *that* there's the Conclave of Shadows series:
    Talon of the Silverhawk
    King of Foxes
    Exile's Return

Then there's a number of collaborative efforts:
    Honored Enemy
    Murder in LaMut
    Jimmy the Hand.... these three can mostly be read separate to the others which are all part of the ongoing mythos.

Oh and, FYI, coming soon in the future:
    Krondor: The Crawler
    Kronder: The Dark Mage (completing the Krondor cycle of before)

AND - assumedly taking place after the Conclave of Shadows series - we have the Darkwar Saga:
    Agent of Chaos
    Into A Dark Realm
    Wrath of a Mad God

So, all in all, I've listed 16 more books that you can go out and buy, and 6 more on the way - ALL set in the world of Magician. Enough for ya? :p

Of all Feist's books I've only read Shadow of a Dark Queen and Rise of a Merchant Prince (which for some reason went straight to my heart)

I'm looking to get more of his books in the near future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different topic I started reading Cavern of Black Ice by J.V. Jones and I can honestly say that it keeping up my run of amazing reads at the moment (A Game of Thrones, Farseer Trilogy, War of the Flowers ) At least that's my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    Nope. It was a bit mean of me to post it. Out later this year - no delays unlike some authors *cough*georgerrmartin* we could mention. Having said that there's probably going to be a slight difference in the quality of writing ;)
    Damn you...!!! :(

Anyhow, The Saga of Seven Suns series by Keven J.Anderson is wonderfully written and i highly recommend them.

And Q_Elexra, i've been waiting for the final book of that damn trilogy, i've been waiting for nearly two years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Mistmyr

Hmm, the list is LONG

But a few lasting favorites would have to be...

The Magician Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Dolaldson

Belgariad series by David Eddings (some people hate it but it was one of the first sets i ever read so its a longterm Fav)

Just my 2$

Misty

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

My favourite fantasy god theres a lot

David Eddings all his books from The Belgariad right through to The Tamuli.
    Robert Jordan The wheel of time.
    LOTR (of course).
    Raymond E. Feist The Magician and The Empire trilogies.
    Robin Hobbs her 3 trilogies although The Liveship traders wasn't as good as the Fitz ones.

Just finished reading "Exile's Return" and I must say.. it's definately coming to a close. We'll probably see the fulfillment of Pug's destiny as told by Lims-Kragma and the restoration of Ishap and Arch-Indar I think :D i can't wait for the Darkwar Saga :D

NeoSlicer - could you use some spoiler? I haven't even gotten around to reading King of Foxes and I don't want to know what may happen, even if you're only speculating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i am shocked and appaled that no one has mentioned "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin in so long, so it is my duty to pimp it again cause i'm such a f4n b0y :D
    go buy\beg\borrow\steal it and read it.

meanwhile as a token of good will i shall go off and read these Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Dolaldson that people keep mentioning....

Does Stephen Kings Dark Tower Series come under this thread's remit or is it classed more sci-fi\horror?

Scruff wrote:
    i am shocked and appaled that no one has mentioned "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin in so long, so it is my duty to pimp it again cause i'm such a f4n b0y :D
    go buy\beg\borrow\steal it and read it.
    Well I don't think it's worth mentioning because it's almost too obvious. I couldn't fathom people not liking it so I assume they do :D

But since we're plugging, another plug for Steven Erickson's Book of the Fallen series won't go amiss. Five books in, telling a story that's spread over multiple millennia and continents feature gods, demigods, a huge variety of characters and races all interweaving in a manner that would - in anyone else's hands - fall apart. Given he's been pumping the books out steadily, at an annual rate, he's the real threat to the man who makes me go GRR with his delays...
    meanwhile as a token of good will i shall go off and read these Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Dolaldson that people keep mentioning....
    Good! It's not fast moving, can be quite angsty, but it's a great read. It'll also prep you for the Third Chronicles of Thomas Convenant, which begins very shortly.
    Does Stephen Kings Dark Tower Series come under this thread's remit or is it classed more sci-fi\horror?
    I dunno. I think we could push it under the broad spectrum of fantasy myself. I've only read up to Book 4, the Waste Lands which I was distinctly unimpressed with. Thought it was very poor and derivative - lazy writing by using real-world references to create a world (the whole "Wizard of Oz" thing). I saw some real panning reviews for 'Wolves of the Callah' but I'll probably pick this, and the final two books, up for completion. I do like the way it ties into his main mythology but, given the recent downturn in his ability to write, they'll be probably the last few books of his I'll read (*waves a lamp around*).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

IOXY go read King of Foxes its quite good.I read it last week and now i am kicking myself,bought Talon of a Silver Hawk last year and lost it and never read it and got a present of King of Foxes and just about 50 pages to go found the fist book.Gutted :mad:

Had to be done though.As i can see you are an avid Raymond.E.Feist fan a quick question. I had the real old Magician the one with the blue cover and read it loads of times and gave it to my cousin who left it abroad on hols and i went and bought the new version.Nothing compared to the Origainal.
    Do you know of a site that would still have th old one?
    Cheers

By the way, Trilogy = LOTR (the best)
    Series = Riftwar,Serpent Saga
    by Raymond E.Feist

Book = Magician by.Raymond E.Feist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Hmm.
    Does China Miéville's steampunk loose series (Perdido Street Station, The Scar and Iron Council) count as fantasy?

Has anyone read Steven Eriksson's Malazan Book of the Fallen Series? Truly military fantasy. Real gritty and hardcore but plenty of epic stuff to balance it out. Probably my favourite fantasy series/author.

My favourite trilogy would be (deep breath and hide behind something big)... HisDarkMaterials. I know they're for kids, but it's just a really good fantasy, develops well, lots of cool.

Favourite single book (choose the wierd stuff again) would be Midnight's Children by Slaman Rushdie.

Undergod wrote:
    Has anyone read Steven Eriksson's Malazan Book of the Fallen Series? Truly military fantasy. Real gritty and hardcore but plenty of epic stuff to balance it out. Probably my favourite fantasy series/author.
    Glance back up the thread a bit and you'll see a bunch of people, myself included, recommending it. Read the five books released so far and love it. Probably my favourite series at the moment, given the amount of time George R.R. Martin is taking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

CathyMoran wrote:
    Am I the only one who was not overwhelmed by LOTR?

Distinctly underwhelmed, I think.

I just don't think he's a good author. Typical Deus Ex Machina ending, and the book is too long to justify the story. Lots of nice bits (which he does have, undoubtedly) don't make a good author.

This is just from a strictly literary point of view. I think he's created one of the most detailed fantasy worlds ever, a whole history, cosmology and philosophy made up by him, which is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

AnyBody Rate GormenGhast Trilogy gotta say it ranks up there, Thomas Covenant of Course appeals to all us lepers and LOTR and SciFi wise Orson Scott Cards Enders Saga, Enders Game etc Cant recommend Card enough he gets some criticism but is an incredibly intelligent writer, as for Gormenghast what can one say but read it and see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

Gormenghast rules. Check out The Dark Tower series as well, classic books.

Advertisement