Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fantasy Trilogy/series/Book?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by dedoublya
    Were there only 4 Earthsea stories? I read the Quartet and was really dissapointed that it was so short, i'd love to know if there's anything else to it that i can read.

I think she released another set of tales of earthsea last year. Stories from earlier than the previous books. I just had a quick look upstairs cause I thought I got it, but it didn't turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dedoublya

thanks for that info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Foundation series, Asimov, probably the most engaging set of books ever written in sci-fi

I always thought that Herbert was blowing his own horn with the Dune series...although a colourful and creative piece of work, too much self praise for the messiah imho

Arthur C Clark is very good, always an interesting read...

never liked fantasy, just wasnt my cup of tea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

My fave series is the Belgariad. I've never been able to finish LOTR but The Hobbit would probably be my fave stand alone (unless you include Terry Pratchett's Discworld or David Gemmell's Drenai Novels each as stand alone)

As for trilogys I don't think I've actually read a three book series although I hope to start the Farseer Trilogy soon. I have the three books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read

Alot of people mentioned A Song of Ice and Fire. I read the two short stories in Legends and Legends II and really enjoyed them so I moved on to A Game of Thrones which I classed as my fave book until I read Gemmell. Unfortunatly the way in which Clash of Kings was published really put me off. Everything seemed crammed in, could they not have split it like book three? I only got to page 2?? before picking up something else instead.

I also enjoyed Ann McCaffrey's earlier Pern novels.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You favoured David Eddings over George R.R. Martin? I feel ill :(

• Advertisement

David Eddings is a good entry point for younger readers to Fantasy (I started reading his books when I was about 12). Seeing as the OP couldnt finish LOTR, and other more advanced fantasy, I would surmise they are still in their teens. I could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just finished reading Gareth Nix's "Sabriel", "Lireal" and "Abhorsen" series. Wow, for teenage fantasy, as they're described, they're absolutely brilliant. Thoroughly recommended. I honestly got the shivers here and there as the Dead were attacking.

Originally posted by hostyle
    David Eddings is a good entry point for younger readers to Fantasy (I started reading his books when I was about 12). Seeing as the OP couldnt finish LOTR, and other more advanced fantasy, I would surmise they are still in their teens. I could be wrong of course.

My biggest problem is living in Drogheda there aren't many fantasy books available. It's all LOTR or The Wheel of Time.

Originally posted by Q_Elexra
    My biggest problem is living in Drogheda there aren't many fantasy books available. It's all LOTR or The Wheel of Time.

Most shops will order books for you. Try a read of Feists Magician (I'm presuming you're still a youngster)

Is there a local library? Believe it or not they usually stock some Fantasy (thats where I first read Feist). You could also try borrowing books off other people, if you know any that read Fantasy.

Most shops will order books for you. Try a read of Feists Magician (I'm presuming you're still a youngster)

Is there a local library? Believe it or not they usually stock some Fantasy (thats where I first read Feist). You could also try borrowing books off other people, if you know any that read Fantasy.

I order alot of books through the local bookstore but it's not 'til I get to Dublin that I realise how many fantasy authors there are.

As for the library, even that has a small collection of authors, I did get Magician out of it though. Which I thought was great. Strangly enough it's rivaled by Rise of a Merchant Prince as my feve Feist book.

I have one friend who reads fantasy but he's read the same stuff I have with a few exceptions Maggie Furrey etc. In fact he was the one who got me into fantasy, before that it was Biography and Crime I was reading.

Could you advise any good books for eighteen year olds???????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Foundation, Asimov
    I Robot, Asimov (get it before Will Smith ruins it)

it is Sci Fi but its set so far in the future it can nearly rank as fantasy... Seldon's veiw of Trantor was such a great start to a fantastic series

Could you advise any good books for eighteen year olds???????????????

Hard to say. Take a good look through the rest of this thread, and read reviews of the authors and books mentioned.

Keep doing what you're doing (Eddings, Feist, et al) and reading all the fantasy you can get your hands on. Try out the newer Shannara series beginning with "Scions of Shannara". Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea quartet is also an easy and enjoyable read. Sean Russells "the One Kingdom" is also worthwhile (although boring IMHO :)). James Barclays "Dawnthief" series might suit you too.

When you get through that lot, I can't recommend Steven Erikson enough, although the first book is a little daunting. Janny Wurts and China Mieville are also excellent but not for the lexically challenged.

In the end, its all about what you end up liking. There are many sub-genres within fantasy - magic, action, philosophical and "all of the above" - and its up to you to decide which you like.

And if you want to give Sci-Fi a go, look out for David Zindells Neverness and "Requiem to Homo Sapiens" trilogy. Absolute art in my opinion.

PS. Stay the hell away from Robert Jordan, you'll only end up disappointed :)

Sean Russells "the One Kingdom" is also worthwhile (although boring IMHO :)).
    Blast. Bough the first two books of this, have yet to begin. I'd hope to disagree with you but your taste seems quite close to mine...
    I've also just started Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series. It's good but I'm not going to recommend it to the original poster as it's quite founded in religion and politics and, not being fast moving, isn't a good start.

When you get through that lot, I can't recommend Steven Erikson enough, although the first book is a little daunting. Janny Wurts and China Mieville are also excellent but not for the lexically challenged.
    Erikson has, since Martin has been away, taken the Fantasy Throne. 1000% recommended. It's not difficult to read as such but it can be an incredible feat trying to keep track of all the character's manipulations and the plot twists - things are rarely as they seem. And, considering it spans millennia and continents, it feels very suitably epic.
    Wurts is, as you say, quite wordy. I'd recommend her but again, if you want something fast paced, look elsewhere. Her strength is in the quality of her writing and characterisation whereas others, like Feist, are much more expedient in how they describe actions. It depends on your taste. I haven't tried China Mieville though and am completely unfamiliar with his work.

And if you want to give Sci-Fi a go, look out for David Zindells Neverness and "Requiem to Homo Sapiens" trilogy. Absolute art in my opinion.
    One of the few books that's still stuck with me many years later. Some incredible ideas in this one, though you have to be able to handle long discussions concerning philosophy, morality, ethics, etc.

If you want a broad sci-fi with plenty of action, check out Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy. He's excellent at description of large action sequences and is quite approachable for anyone who has only a basic layman's knowledge of science.

PS. Stay the hell away from Robert Jordan, you'll only end up disappointed :)
    Hell yeah. I'm so disillusioned that I have yet to read the last book. Somebody please make him finish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

Am I the only one who loved Anne McCaffreys's Dragons of Pern series?? Easy but very enjoyable reading...

I also loved the Xanth books and Robot Adept series by Piers Anthony

Ruatha*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by ixoy
    Hell yeah. I'm so disillusioned that I have yet to read the last book. Somebody please make him finish...
    I read only 100 pages of the latest one (borrowed it thank god) before (literally) throwing it across the room in disgust.

I will never read another one of his books. Even if he does finish before someone beats him to death with a hardcover copy of Crossroads of Twilight I'm going to get some poor sap who actually read the final books to summarise them for me. I'm convinced it won't take any longer than five minutes.

Christ I hate that guy. Thank god for George RR Martin, I wouldn't be reading any fantasy anymore if it wasn't for him.

Just picked up the first of James Clemens Wit'ch series - Wit'ch Fire - as it was cheap in a sale. Anyone got any views on it? Worth a read, or get my girlfriend to read it first and judge it from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just thought I'd add a few more books I've enjoyed of late. This thread is where I come for inspiration for my next purchase.

I've just finished reading Jennifer Fallon's Medalon a lot better than I expected and another series to keep me going. Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series isn't too bad, I do find the pace can be a bit slow at times though.
    J.V. Jones' Sword of Shadows series is entertaining. I also enjoyed Ian Irvines two series (Well of Shadows etc.).

Looking forward to Swords of Night and Day (Gemmell) and Midnight Tides (Erikson) and of course A Feast for Crows (Martin) (I refuse to buy hardback or those large softbacks).

As I'm between series against my better judgement I bought Robert Jordan's Crossroads of Twilight. Hodges Figgis are selling most of the WOT for €3.99, I'm a sucker for a complete collection. The problem is (as outlined previously):

1) this has turned into a diabolically bad series
    2) because there are so many characters and I usually read these books several years apart (and no I am NOT going to go back and read them) I can barely remember who anybody is. I'd even suggest having Rand wake up from an elaborate taint induced dream. Perhaps a plague as in Stephen Kings' The Stand. Definitely a plague, it'd spread in no time at all with people Traveling around the world, bye bye superfluous characters. The annoying thing is that the good bits are really good, now it's like panning for gold.

Enough ranting. [insert higher power] have mercy on my soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

To keep track of the WOT (My fav series, even up to book 10), download the various summary file for each book which give you a sentence or two for each chapter. I read them before I read every new book and they bring me right back up to date in no more than maybe 15-20 minutes per book.

Currently reading riftwar saga by Feist, great stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by SearrarD
    Foundation, Asimov
    I Robot, Asimov (get it before Will Smith ruins it)

it is Sci Fi but its set so far in the future it can nearly rank as fantasy... Seldon's veiw of Trantor was such a great start to a fantastic series
    Robot series are fantasy. Sentient beings with who only exist to serve and with pure morals etc. - naw ain't scientific - anyway most of the robot stories are not science - based more on interperations of a hypothetical moral code.

Foundation was better - with the exception of the mindreading was purer science.

Anyway Jules Verne is one of the few SciFi writers who based almost everthing on contemporary technology or obvious extrapolations.

As for trilogys I don't think I've actually read a three book series although I hope to start the Farseer Trilogy soon. I have the three books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read

I've started reading the Farseer Trilogy (just finished Assassin's Apprentice) and was hoping that it would come close to Hobb's short story in Legends II which I though was amazing. So far it's blown the short story away. I was so impressed that I could hardly put the book down. If it keeps up this way I'll have to say it's going to take some beating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CbrPaddy

Tough call, have read many, but the first proper trilogy type was Stephen Donaldsons "Thomas Covenant - Unbeliever' series. Not sure how well it'd stand up to a reread though. China Mievielle is also good. But my all-time favourite has to be Gene Wolf's Shadow of the Torturer books with Severian. Read it and think wow, then reread it and find you've missed half of what was going on the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Q_Elexra wrote:
    My biggest problem is living in Drogheda there aren't many fantasy books available.

Living in drogheda can cause a lot of problems alright...

Q_Elexra wrote:
    I've started reading the Farseer Trilogy (just finished Assassin's Apprentice) and was hoping that it would come close to Hobb's short story in Legends II which I though was amazing. So far it's blown the short story away. I was so impressed that I could hardly put the book down. If it keeps up this way I'll have to say it's going to take some beating.

Yep definately my fave Trilogy :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am I the only one who was not overwhelmed by LOTR? I started trying to read the thing when I was 7 but did not suceed until after I saw the first movie (admitidly I have seen all 3 movies 3 times each in the cinema)...I liked them and can see why they are classics but they did not blow me away. In terms of favorites - more into science fiction, so will say Dune, Hitchhikers,Chronicles of Thomas Covenant...

CathyMoran wrote:
    Am I the only one who was not overwhelmed by LOTR?
    Blasphemy! Actually I agree with you. The writing's very stilted and the characterisation is non-existent. It's most fascinating for it's world building aspects (which, after all, was really where Tolkein's interests lay). As a modern revisiting, Tad William's "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" is a far more enjoyable read and an excellent story to boot. I also enjoyed the bleakness of the Thomas Covenant saga - so I imagine you're also looking forward to the Third Chronicles of Thomas Convenant, coming in a few months time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I loved william shatners star trek books based after generations. They have a good story

The Return
    Avenger
    Specture
    Dark Victory
    Presever

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Garz

If you liked The Magician Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist you really have to read the Daughter of the Empire Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. F**KING THE BEST!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Garz wrote:
    If you liked The Magician Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist you really have to read the Daughter of the Empire Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. F**KING THE BEST!
    Yeah, the Tsuranni culture is fascinating! The latest ones he has out aren't bad either. Though I am really looking forward to the sequel to Hambilton's "Pandora's Star"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Has anyone reccomended the Raymond E. Feist/Janny Wuts series - Daughter, Servant and Mistress of the Empire .. brilliant !

Also Bernard Cornwells, the Warlord Chronicles are amazing .

• Advertisement

Garz wrote:

There's a Magician Trilogy?????

Advertisement