Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE and TV3 confirm launch on Sky Digital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I would imagine that the Champions League will be on TV3 through Sky. There was no disruption in ITV's coverage when they went on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

According to an article in todays Indo's Business section, TV3 will Not be broadcasting in Northern ireland.
    They also said that RTE1 and Network2 will Not be broadcasting programmes such as Friends,The Simpsons etc to Northern ireland.
    I assume that this relates to UTV not being on Sky here in the ROI. I reger to my post in the "Campaign for BBC" thread, where UTV said they were Other Parties involved.
    Probally RTE/TV3 and UTV seeing who's going to blink first:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

Maybe, to Dubs like myself the West of Ireland is "like a foreign country".

Only joking of course, but when I looked at the Astra footprints for 2D before it seemed that you needed a bigger dish for the West of Ireland 60 or 70cm. They must have changed the coverage recently, I just looked again and now it seems to cover all of Ireland except that little bit in the South West.
    Kerry definitely is like a foreign country :)

http://www.ses-astra.com/satellites/footprints.php?sat=15

2A and 2C is well covered for all of Ireland.

Eurobird?? :-

http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/285e_popd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am getting good coverage in mayo on both satellites. the only problem is the wind shaking the hell out of my dish and putting out of alignment every week or two.

i hope to get the dished moved soon and put in close to the wall.

Any word on the frequencies RTE and TV3 are going to use. I thought they have just even tested the dish in montrose.

This is the first place we will hear it. The english sites dont mention it at all.

Anybody here have or know about the network information table and how do the websites get a hold of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hotrod

Dear qeivinc,

Do you know that it is illegal to have sky coverage outside of Britian and Ireland regardless of what size dish you have?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hotrod
    Dear qeivinc,

Do you know that it is illegal to have sky coverage outside of Britian and Ireland regardless of what size dish you have?
    I'm laughing out loud, and rolling around on the floor....

Clear out the prisons-half Europe are coming in...:D
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Have I seen somewhere that part of the RTE/Sky contract is that the radio stations are to be available all over Europe?

If that is to be the case, then we could speculate that the Irish radio stations would be on the south beam, as are all the other FTA radio stations?

This would make them available through quite a lot of Europe with a 60cm dish.

Would the TV stations not be on the same frequency?

With so many Irish pubs throughout Europe, (Madrid alone has about 40) surely there is a lot of new subscriptions and money out there to be collected. Most of them have Sky from Britain for the football but none anything for GAA or the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

RTÉ's Radio Channels are really only being pitched at the UK, as when they announced the deal in November, they made a big deal at the radio stations were being made availble to the rest of the UK, not just to NI and RoI.

So a north beam is likely. But if you can get them in Spain, fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

When the RTE and TV3 stations begin testing next week, will they have a transponder all to themselves???

RTE1,Net2,TV3,Tg4,Radio1,2FM,LyricFM,RnG are rumoured to start testing next week, April 9th.
    I will miss all the fun, as I will be working abroad again on the 10th, and will be away for six months :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

OK, I'm still getting confusing signals (pardon the pun!) Is it the understanding of the honest folk who subscribe to this forum that RTE will or will not be blocked to Northern viewers, and what about the radio, because I'm DESPERATE to hear Lyric FM with a proper signal!!

• Advertisement

The Radio channels will be FTA on Sky Digital so you will be able to listen to them anywhere once you have a dish pointing up at 28 degrees.

The TV channels will be scrambled. ROI will definately get them from 23rd of April. NI will get them at some stage but probably not by the 23rd. England, Scotland and Wales will not be getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

My reading is that RTE TV will be blocked, however radio should be OK.

Hi ChristyG,
    At the moment, we are not sure what the story will be for NI viewers come the 23rd regarding the TV Channels. We dont know if the channels will launch fully, with programmes blacked out or even nothing at all. We wil know closer to the 23rd what the craic is.

Radio will be fine, Lyric will be available from then for all.

Yo madman,

Don't give up the day job chappy!

As I understand Sky will be moving theire movie and sports channels to the Astra 2D satellite which covers only France/Holland/Belgium and a part of Germany.

Now roll about a bit more,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

Dear hotrod,

glad to see you're pleased that our illegal activities will be stopped.

I guess they will be moving the Disney channel from 2D to make space for Sky Movies/Sports on 2D.

How do you rate the Disney channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

what a bunch of whiners you all are
    when tara goes this week from 34west i have nothing irish to look at..you lot only have to stick your finger in the tv to get rte.
    did you know that ireland will be the only land in europe not to have a tv channel on satellite.Sky can f**k off if they think i am going to pay 18 euro to them to look at rte,it should be ftv like in the uk with bbc etc.

The arrival of RTÉ on Sky is beneficial to both parties involved. RTÉ are getting free carriage and will benefit from being on top of the EPG. Quite a number of Sky customers have admitted that they forget to check what's on the Irish channels.

Sky benefit by having RTÉ available on their system enabling them to attract more customers. They are not aiming to provide a FTV service here. This would have to be paid for by RTÉ and there is no way at the moment that they could afford it.

I expect that almost all people who have Sky in Ireland have some sort of Sky package already (possibly excluding UK FTV viewers). It is not known yet what the minimum package will be in order to gain access to RTÉ but most people think that it will be the basic package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kilian

just a thought-

-RTE start broadcasting on sky digital.
    -This new service for irish customers results in a huge rise in irish people subscribing to sky.
    -within a few years so many people have taken a sky digital subscription, that cable and terrestrial digital services in ireland are "economically unviable".
    -a few lears later agian; nearly all new TV sets now being made are only designed for digital TV. Terrestrial TV ratings are rapidly declining, and Sky digital is the only viable option for most irish customers.
    -rupert murdoch has a monopoly on TV broadcasting in ireland!

is this a situation we really want? I hope RTE know what they're doing by launching on sky digital without a definite, widespread digital alternative...

I don't think anyone wants such a situation to develop. At the moment Chorus and NTL have begun to roll out their digital offering. It is up to them to compete with Sky and I hope that they do. Hopefully we shall also see the Irish Digital Terrestrial operation come to fruition in the next 18 months or so. As I said nobody wants Sky to have a monopoly, it is what happened with Chorus down here in Cork and look what happened them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kilian

hopefully it won't be that bad, but...
    with NTL suffering such financial difficulties, and i've heard bad things about plans for digital terrestrial TV (look what happened to on digital/ ITV digital in the UK).
    I really do hope NTL and chorus can compete with sky, but for someone like me *who lives in a built up area in dublin* my only choice for digital TV is sky. NTL still don't offer digtal here, and only a few friends of mine live in ares which can get it.
    am i being overly pessimistic ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i dont think that IT'sTV will have a spare 315 million sterling to splash out on english first division matches.

even if they did, i dont think that any tv company will be going down that road again. once bitten twice shy...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

NTL - SKY - DTT - so what - I think that in the future we will all have at least two boxes at home - I can not see everyone having lots of Skydigital boxes as it is an expensive service and we do not need it for every tele ision set in the home - I'd say that we will have our Its TV and one other - The future is a multiple tv home with multiple choices - and looking at Skys past they are very cute in getting the subscribers and then a year later raising the prices. Lets see what the future holds?????:tired: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Qeivinc,
    Sorry it seems I offended you. As madman choked, Sky is readily available over most of Europe if you have the correct setup. This is illegal as you know. In effect you have a legal contract with Sky only permitting you to view it in Britian and Ireland. I am sure Sky are well aware of the the situation also, and could be in trouble as they don't have licenses to broadcast in these countries. Because of this Sky, invariably will start broadcasting from satellites will smaller footprints, a bit like your own,
    Yours lovingly,
    Hotrod

and the dishes will get bigger:bandit:
    where planning and practicality dictate of course!
    Before the days of Sky digital, I had a filmnet and tv1000 d2mac decoder on astra 19.2 with a pirate card with all the movies that were on Sky at the time and footie to boot and as for what they had on after dark-pure(or rather impure:cheeky: ) education!

It's been going on since the start and will continue like father tyme
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drimnagh

Hows this for a hard luck story......having waited a long time before commiting myself to a Sky Subscription(family package-£16)
    just to get Tara I then learned through this forum that Tara was going down the tube.

However, having to ring sky on a technical matter, I then broached the subject of RTE1 going on Sky.....after some hesitation and checking with a higher authority, the gentleman concerned said that it would be late April and would be on the EPG and available to me.......this would suggest that it will part of at least the family package.

As I am a newbie and also a silver surfer to boot, I hope that if I have not done everything correctly, allowances will be made.

I am a Dublin man over here since 1962 and find the oppotunity to see and hear RTE terrific.

Really enjoying reading the posts on this forum

:)

Hi Drimnagh, welcome aboard, we're glad you enjoy this :)

Sorry to hear that, I do hope RTÉ have a solution ready for you, at least you will have all the radio stations later this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Any news on TnaG?

Its obviously not majorly important but I'd like to have ALL of the old terrestrial channels on Sky.

And does anyone have information at all about Channel 4, 5? I have the exact details filled in, and they are in my 'other channels' section. But they are blocked out, just as UTV is.

RTÉ 1, Network 2 and TG4 are all part of the deal that RTÉ signed with Sky.

For Channel 4 and Channel 5, the Campaign Sticky has all the info....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭NorthDown

Just been on the blower with Tom McCarthy. RTE will not be shown in Northern Ireland on the 23rd but they hope to in the future (when the rights issues are sorted...) He told me he'd sent several emails on the subject - he sounded as if he's plagued by all of us questioning him.
    Can anyone suggest other threads or a way round this - do I need an Irish sky Digi box to get RTE or just a card in a British box?

• Advertisement

You will need an Irish box and card with the family pack.
    So if you have reasonable analog UTV,ch 4 and 5 etc.
    Why not do a swap for a while with a friend or relatives box in the south?
    mm

Advertisement