Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE and TV3 confirm launch on Sky Digital

Options
  • 22-03-2002 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all

This is my first post, but it is a worthwhile one.Rang RTE information department today and spoke to a woman called Bernie.I asked her when RTE would be launching and she said 23rd of April.

Corm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

And what an excellent first post it is !!!

It's great to get a definite date. Let's hope everything goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Unusual day (a Tuesday) to launch. Almost all major channel launches on Sky have been on a Monday.

Big question still is when will the tests start?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Passed by Montrose myself today, the dish is upright, and it looks aligned. There seemed to be a couple of blokes underneath it.

As early as next week?

BTW, summat I thought of during the week. As RTÉ will be blocked to GB digiboxes, I'm not sure if information from GB sites will be reilable, as they cant see it. Maybe they'll get an 08 message.

Hopefully, we will have the news first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Corm

I would say they would have to test for at least 2 weeks, so if its the 23rd of April I would think they would test from the first week in April.

Corm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I'd say we could see test pretty soon, I had a look in Montrose today, and the dish seems ready, they might start testing to see if its working.
    Keep watching the Skys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I cant see how RTE can give an official date when as far as I know they hav'nt got the OK from the Broadcasting Commission about a licence yet, or have I missed something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you have missed something. RTÉ and TV3 got the ok from the BCI a few weeks ago

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Unusual day (a Tuesday) to launch

from all the channels i remember launching a lot of them launched on a Tuesday. it seems like common practice to launch on a Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Viva

I have a GB card and box but I use it in Luxembourg - why is RTE blocked to these cards? I like watching the RTE news on Tara, but I've heard that channel is to close at the end of the month ... :(

Viva

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Welcome to the Forum VIVA,
    RTE channels and TV3 are not yet broadcasting on Sky, even to those of us living in the Republic.
    As other threads on this forum state, the irish Channels (RTE/TV3 etc) are expected (Rumoured) to be broadcasting in late April.
    However since you have a UK registered card, you still will not be able to receive RTE/Net2/TV3/Tg4 as they will be blocked to viewers with a UK card. they will only be available to those on an Irish registered Sky Suscription.
    You asked in another thread if 2FM will be received in the UK. The answer is Yes... All RTE radio stations, Radio1,2FM, LyricFM, and RnG will be available on the UK registered card.
    On a final note... I love VIVA the TV station. I watch it on Astra 19*, and find it enjoyable to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Just took a look in at the dish in Montrose, it now seems to be pointing vertically upwards again. They mustn't have aligned it correctly. You can get a good view of it from the footbridge if you don't want to fork out for the 46A.
    Man I sound like a real anorak, don't I?

The 23rd has been confirmed in this e-mail from Tom McCarthy -

"Charles
    The on-air date is 23/4/'02 and the project is on schedule. Tests will be carried out two weeks prior to launch. RTE 1, Network 2 and TG4 will be on positions 1, 2 and 4 of the EPG.

Regards
    Tom McCarthy"

Tests two weeks prior to launch makes them appear on Tuesday 9th of April.

Corm, you should be lorded. :)

I was wary, but it is confirmed. Congrats on the scoop of the year so far!

Damien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Maybe, just maybe (as they used to say in the ads for the British National Lottery) this positive piece of information will shut up for good the LIARS (and I have no apologies to make for saying that) who come onto this forum spreading stories "Sky Digital will be delayed" without even so much as a shred of evidence that would stand up in a court of law!

PS Fellas, you know who you are!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I got the same reply as charles did but i asked about what frequency the would be using but i got this in reply to that question.
    We are not in a position announce the frequencies

Damn why dont starting testing 1 week earlier as i be back at college on the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by CHRISTYG
    Maybe, just maybe (as they used to say in the ads for the British National Lottery) this positive piece of information will shut up for good the LIARS (and I have no apologies to make for saying that) who come onto this forum spreading stories "Sky Digital will be delayed" without even so much as a shred of evidence that would stand up in a court of law!

PS Fellas, you know who you are!!!!!

Thats a little strong dont you think, i'm sure their views were sincerely held, lets try and keep it civiliised here and agree to disagree.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

And now I can offically confirm that TV3 have said that they are expecting to launch at the same time as RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digitalman

was watching tv3 5.30 news and they had areport on which
    they said they will be launching on sky digital along with
    OTHER irish channels.Love they way they never said rte.

However in the report they said it would launch by the summer
    This sounds like it might be a few months yet before we see it.

digitlalman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

you've got to be kiddin about that summer thing

How reliable is the news of themselves!

I have it that TV3 will launch with RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 digitalman

thats what they said on the news...

i taught the same thing.Unless they are just playing safe by not giving a date knowing that they will definetly be on by then.

Is it on the 6.30 news broadcast anyone know?

They haven't **completely** finished negociations with Sky, I get the impression that Sky jumped the gun with the adverts on Sunday.

As they haven't finished, they given a vague date.

So today TV3 announced that the press ads are fairly true!

23rd is the go. :D

Should've added, I'm merging this and the RTÉ thread, and making it a sticky, just to organise the threads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

And I've added this latest news to the ICDG http://icdg.tvfromireland.com website.

Bear in mind that Sattelite Content Contracts have yet to be offically signed however...

Thought you might be interested in this post from 22/03/2001. I'm not sure who posted it, as the ids are gone off the old posts. It's amazing how much things can change in a year.

"I got this email back from RTE on the issue of them joining Sky...

"It is hoped that digital terrestrial television will be fully operational in Ireland during the second half of 2002.

The RTE transmission network will be sold off and a new company formed with RTE holding a 28% share. This platform will carry all the Irish channels plus the UK services. Therefore, it is unlikely that RTE 1 and Network 2 will be made available on SKY Digital."

Funny world, isn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Found this on another forum...(apologies if it has been mentioned here already...)

> From: Alison Norton [SMTP:alison.norton@tv3.ie]
    > Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 4:25 PM
    > Subject: TV3 announce carraige on Sky Digital!
    >
    > I am delighted to officially announce to you that, after much speculation,
    > TV3 will be carried on the Sky Digital platform.
    > We are currently finalising the details of the carriage agreement and
    > expect
    > that it will be completed this week. TV3 will be launched along with RTE
    > and
    > TG4 on an Irish platform as part of Sky's basic service. We expect the
    > service to begin within the next 6 weeks and I will keep you posted of
    > developments, including launch date, when available.
    > In the meantime, thanks for your continued support. I hope the above news,
    > along with our tremendous audience performance this year to date,
    > reassures
    > you of TV3's commitment to continued growth throughout 2002!
    >
    > Pat Kiely
    > Director of Sales & Marketing

Originally posted by Leesider
    TV3 will be launched along with RTE
    > and
    > TG4 on an Irish platform as part of Sky's basic service

from that i gather Northern Ireland wont be seeing TV3 on Sky

*cough* *cough*
    clearing the dust from my throat.....( having been over on the dig terestrial board )
    But I was away untill about three today,took a quick look at the boards and only spotted this sticky now...!

Well another thing I have noticed in the last few weeks is the high profile advertising of NTL's Godigital...
    A sure sign that whats being talked about here is iminent....
    No rush by chorus digital to talk up their service:rolleyes:

I'm quite looking foward to having EPG info on RTE programmes via Sky:)

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

The situation seems to be hotting up in the last few days ref whats comming on the BSKYB platform from 23rd April. I would be interested to hear what UTV are saying now. I think they have to say something, especially with the news that TV3 are now officially going on BSKYB. I agree with what is being stated here that Granada and Charlton dont really want UTV being another competitor for TV3, however there's too much at stake in ad revenue for UTV to take all this lying down--- a very interesting situation indeed!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well it would be ideal of both broadcasters worked side by side in both sides of border. The channel on 103 will probably get the most viewers anyway when it comes to Corrie, etc.

Advertisement