Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's etc on Sky

Options
13»

Comments

I agree with all that Richard has said above-but would like to add...
    It's true we don't pay the £104 uk licence-but the BBC are being paid by us via Sky to have one and two on the Irish EPG.
    Of course it's not a fraction of thart £104,but whatever figure it is, it was agreed by the BBC and Sky.

People in the UK get CH4,CH5 and ITV for free, so some of Jez's comments hold true for them,if you strip out the programme rights issues.
    The cost of Rights issues could easily be offset by ROI advertising on UTV and the other two channels though-after all if Irish advertisers are prepared to appear in their droves on Sky one and news-they'd pay money for Add's on UTV and ch4, who combined would have much more viewers.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by madman
    I agree with all that Richard has said above-but would like to add...
    It's true we don't pay the £104 uk licence-but the BBC are being paid by us via Sky to have one and two on the Irish EPG.
    Of course it's not a fraction of thart £104,but whatever figure it is, it was agreed by the BBC and Sky.

Absolutely - the whole licence fee pays for all BBC Radio (which explains why it isn't in the Irish EPG.

People in the UK get CH4,CH5 and ITV for free, so some of Jez's comments hold true for them,if you strip out the programme rights issues.

The cost of Rights issues could easily be offset by ROI advertising on UTV and the other two channels though-after all if Irish advertisers are prepared to appear in their droves on Sky one and news-they'd pay money for Add's on UTV and ch4, who combined would have much more viewers.
    mm

I always thought it would benefit UTV to have two advertising regions - including one unofficial one for the Republic. SInce many ads shown on UTV apply only to either NI or (Increasingly) the Republic, they could make more revenue this way. I wonder if the ITC would allow this - they could nominate a small TX within NI to broadcast the ROI UTV feed and claim that it was only a coincidence that this subregion was broadcasting loads of ROI ads!

Channel 4 could do the same - but don't forget the ROI is a big market for UTV, but not so big for Channel 4 which also broadcasts to England, Scotland and (Analogue terrestrial excepting) Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some bright spark in TG4 realised that of all the channels they are in a prime position to take advantage of the restrictions placed on the other channels due to programming rights.

Any programmes purchased by TG4 are the for the Irish Language rights (if they've been negotiating properly), therefore there would be very little to stop them from broadcasting throughout the british isles, unless there's some clause in the deal with sky.

Maybe UK viewers will have Tara TV replaced by TG4 and with the potential advertising TG4 could win from this we could see some quality programming in the future.

Just a speculation but wouldn't that change everything at montrose, where little brother becomes international superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

TG4 show films in english too, so would they be included in the "irish language" rights?

possible loophole?

Advertisement