Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's etc on Sky

Options
  • 19-03-2002 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

has anyone seen any rte tests on sky since last week?
    can anyone narrow down the list of frequencies to try checking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

try 11.488 H FEC 2\3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

whats the bit rate 22 or 27.5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭TinMan

With 22.0 or 27.5 I get "No Signal Found" I have tried all the frequencies given in other posts and still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Lads,

Why are ye all getting excited about rte being on Sky Digital.The great thing about the ordinary RTE aerial is you get four channels which you can watch at any time on any TV and record any of them. On Sky I presume it becomes Pay Per View(if its only in family pack).It will be interesting though if you have to subscribe to Sky to get RTE. Then you could all give the goverment some stick!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Came across this on another forum - anyone on this forum hear anything??

>>>Had a phonecall from gerry in the Northern ireland RTE Office this
    morning. from his point of view the situation is as follows
    RTE1, network2 aaand TG4 will begin broadcasting on Sky Digital in the
    South of Ireland in Mid to late April
    There is no date for transmissions to begin in Northern ireland as the
    carriage of the Channel by Sky has been challenged by Channel Four and
    Channel Five who have Northern rights for such programmes as ER and
    Friends etc. Talks are ongoing but there is as of today no news as to
    when (if ever) Rte will be broadcast in the North on Sky.
    With regards to TV3 an email I received from them today states that no
    conclusion to talks with Sky has yet been reached
    This is as much as I can find out at present. i guess it is a case of
    watch this space!
    Ella

--
    Ella Patterson
    Cataloguing Department
    Main Library
    The Queen's University of Belfast
    University Road
    Belfast
    Northern Ireland
    BT7 1LS<<<<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Leesider, this is an interesting turn of events.
    However just how big is the Channel four Audience in Northern ireland. Take this quote from the UTV website, which was issued today. It is part of a statment from the UTV press office about the success (Their choice of word) of UTV increase of its audience share:
    >>>>""John McCann said: "......., UTV's peak-time share of viewing in 2001 was 37.7%, well ahead of the ITV network average of 34.8% and substantially ahead of our nearest competitor BBC NI at 23.3% and our nearest commercial competitor Channel 4 at 7.2%. <<<<<<<<

Out of a total of 1 million in Northern ireland, a 7.2% share is not that high. As stated elsewhere on this forum, Channel4 and UTV rely on their advertising which is aimed at the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Does anyone believe that a 'contra' deal might be negotiated - Ok RTE you can broadcast in NI, as long as you don't mind us broadcasting in ROI?

After all RTE have always survived with the other channels, them moving to Sky may not have as much negative impact as the positive of the ability to sell ads north of the border would.

Or am I dreaming - such an arrangement would put the viewer first, not something any of the organisations involved are renowned for ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just an update on this, it appears the uplink equipment has arrived at Montrose! There is a large dish lying flat on its back at the site where RTE have been working for the past few weeks or so. I presume this is the one that will be used for Sky.

As for RTE on Sky NI, this is an interesting turn of events. I wonder if RTE will now object to Channel 4 broadcasting in the Republic? It would be sad if this deal were to lead to C4 being removed from ROI cable systems.

ICDG,
    I Suspect that RTE has already objected to ch 4 and 5 being on Sky in the Republic.
    And the post above are those stations doing a quid pro quo.

It was always in RTE's interest to limit UTV et al in the South-so it would make sense that they threw the spanners in first!
    Whereas Ch 4 have too much incentive to move south(Brookie is very popular:p )

So RTE by objecting could now be getting a taste of the medicine back-pity as it doesn't auger well for the Rest of the UK's appearing in ROI.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Marconi

I doubt if RTE have ever objected to Ch 4 & Ch5 being available through SKY in the Republic - after all, Ch.4 has been around on cable and MMDS for years. Don't forget that it was RTE who introduced "piped TV" to the masses in the '70s through RTE Relays - talk about shooting yourself in the foot! The attitude in RTE today is "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"...

ICDG, as regards that dish in Montrose, no it's just a big rain collector installed by MET Eireann last week to measure all the rainfall over Paddy's weekend on account of there being such a dark cloud hanging over RTE for some time now!':p'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by Marconi
    ICDG, as regards that dish in Montrose, no it's just a big rain collector installed by MET Eireann last week to measure all the rainfall over Paddy's weekend on account of there being such a dark cloud hanging over RTE for some time now!':p'

lol.

I heard it was Gerry Ryan's umbrella (what with the size of his head and all that !!)

Lads,

I ask the question again... Why the big panic for Irish Channels to be on SKy Digital . They will then be pay per view surely on Sky Family Pack ????

Just stick up the aerial and watch ,what you want ,where you want when you want and tape what you want!!

Sounds better to me.

Jez:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Jez,

The big panic for RTÉ on Sky is for a number of reasons.

Most people that I know who have Sky have found that their viewing of the Irish channels has dropped since they got Sky. This is due to the fact that there are no listings for them on the EPG. It may just be laziness but most people tend to just check what is on on the digital channels. This is not helping RTÉ's viewing figures so it is in their interest to get onto the EPG as soon as possible.

Quite a number of people on this board do not have a very good reception of RTÉ. Many people have ditched Chorus but are still using their cable for the irish channels. The quality of these signals are very poor and there is no stereo sound available. These people will greatly benefit from having RTÉ on Sky.

Some people have widescreen sets and are hoping that like the UK terrestrial stations the irish ones will make full use of the technology and give the viewers the chance to watch in widescreen.

RTÉ have got a very good deal from Sky to get free carriage. Although there will not be a FTV scheme like there is in the UK there is no way that you can say they will be pay-per-view. There may be some people in Ireland who have a digibox without a subscription to Sky but this number is most likely tiny (I am excluding people with specific boxes for UK FTV channels). The rest of us are already paying Sky some amount each month. We are going to get the benefit of having RTÉ available digitally for no extra cost.

Originally posted by Marconi:
    I doubt if RTE have ever objected to Ch 4 & Ch5 being available through SKY in the Republic - after all, Ch.4 has been around on cable and MMDS for years. Don't forget that it was RTE who introduced "piped TV" to the masses in the '70s through RTE Relays - talk about shooting yourself in the foot! The attitude in RTE today is "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"...

When I used to live in dublin and RTE still had some of their hands on cablelink-There was always a humming noise on the UK channels.
    We as students had the theory, that it was RTE forcing us to watch them.
    We did anyway as non payment of cablelink bill made the reception even worse:D
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

In a further responce to Jez,

We want to see RTE testing on Sky Digital too. RTE has never appeared over satellite TV before, so this is a milestone.

Those TV anoraks amougst us (and I count myself as one! Zip that hoodie up!) want to be the first to tune into the tests of RTE, see test cards and what other mularkey RTE get up to when they are testing :)

April was always mentioned when RTE and BSkyB signed the deal, and with Ronan's news today, I'd say we would be looking at 10 days to 2 weeks minimum before RTE tests get started. (looking like after Easter Monday, I feel)

Until then, I will be looking at forums and scouring Lyngsat.com for that line "RTE 1 / Network 2 / TG4 on Astra 2A/B/D or Eurobird at 28° E"

A great big dirty test card, thats what I want to see :p:p:D

RTE have never been shy of competition. They've had it since Day 1. So for the thought of RTE blocking Channel 4 for me would be an unprecedented development, and one that is very unlikely. RTE would have already shown programmes bought by Ch4 from America, RTE have them first.

Its a shame Channel 4 appear to be blocking RTE's launch in NI. It's in Ch4's interest not to have RTE on, because of Friends, ER, Ally etc, are going out on RTE ahead their E4, their pay-tv channel.

Hopefully it can be sorted out, without the need for "08" screens while programmes are on.

Damo and Marconi: Point taken regarding RTE giving out about, the UK terrestrials here on Irish EPG.
    They won't be ringing them to tell them to hurry up though:p

Weren't the popular pirates of the early eighties Radio Nova, blaming RTE for jamming their transmissions-they weren't keen on them.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 brenny2506

My needs for RTE/TV3 on Sky are simple

I have Sky Digital - perfect reception!!!

I also have RTE and TV3 on Ariel - reception absolute disgrace ( I live in the SE, 80 miles from Dublin and when I mean absolute disgrace I mean these stations are unwatchable not just poor reception)

Called Chorus to install MMDS System to at least get UK TV stations. Installer called, looked at my reception for RTE/TV3 and said no point bothering to try, packed up and left.

I haven't watched Irish Terrestrial for the last year.

RTE/TV3 on Sky ASAP Please!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

RTE as part of the family pack???? Surely as paid license holders,
    RTE should be FTA ROI viewers just as BBC is in britain.

Shinobi,
    In theory it should be FTV.
    But 1. RTE are too cash strapped to provide the logistics for an RTE card.
    and 2. The number of Sky digital users in the Republic who don't at least have the family pack is tiny,so it wouldn't be justified,even if they had the money to do it.
    So no issue really.
    mm

• Advertisement

I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago (last week) here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44376

and the followups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 swoopster

Going back to the rumour of RTE tv services not being made available to NI viewers, correct me if I am wrong; doesn't RTE1 & Network 2 broadcast to NI viewers via cable - ntl?? And if this is true - are some programmes blocked to NI viewers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by swoopster
    are some programmes blocked to NI viewers?

I believe Home and Away was blocked at the insistence of Channel 5. Anyone know if this is still the case ?

It was still a couple of months ago, yes.

Those Channel 5 folk are awful picky!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why doesn't RTE just make a new channel for NI relaying all of the irish programmes on to one station for the North.

i.e. 6.1 news
    News 2

Interlink each of the 2 networks

Also since NTL and Couras are require by law to provide RTE on there service free of charge to both the consumer and to RTE should this not be the case with Sky.

I know that sky are not regulated in the Republic but it should be, It is not only good for Irish TV but also for the consumer, i.e. we can go some were to get help, when we are angry at sky.

As for C4 and C5 could RTE not just go as pay per view in the North if it relly wants to broadcast all of its programming there

Also I guess UTV will be angry when TV3 arrives in NI, since it shows Corrie and Emmer and champions league and Cold feet and Heartbeat and then what about sky and C4 and C5 because they show malcome in the middle, will and grace, Family affairs, sex in the city, buffy, angel etc.

Maybe they could just carry Ireland AM, the news and sports tonight and agenda and the week in review only to the north what do you think

guess they wouldn't have the rights to show The weakest link up their either.

Will BBC 1, BBC2, UTV, C4 and C5 be free to air on irish digital once it is set up????????

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

The Weakest link rights are owned here in the ROI by TV3. The programme is also on BBC2, and IMHO, is a far better programme than the TV3 version. (Love Eamonn Dunphy on TodayFM, but his TV3 series s**ks)
    The same applies to coronation street. Rights owned in the ROI by TV3, but if you have cable, you can have a choice of watching it on UTV if you prefer. The list goes on and on. UTV and Channel 4 are still not on Sky here, and somebody is not telling us why????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by swoopster
    doesn't RTE1 & Network 2 broadcast to NI viewers via cable - ntl??
    yes they do but there seems to be a different rule for cable and satellite. some British broadcasters say they have no rights for broadcasting in the south via satellite while they are widespread on cable. maybe it will be the same in the north

• Advertisement

I see your point saying RTE could not provide cards etc etc...
    But why not? It's the same old story here, we always have to pay for what they get for nothing in the UK . Why could a similar deal not be brought out here. I.E. Free Digibox and 75£ installation if you subscribe to minimum sky package or Free digibox and £150 installation if you only want FTA options. They should include Irish Channels and would also include all other FTA channels. At least this gets punter onto Digital and they may subscribe to Sky later.
    I think if this does not happen we will then be paying twice for RTE. i.e. via TV Licence and through SKY.

I think this could be a political "HOT" potatoe,
    Jez:confused:

Advertisement