Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best online DVD site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

have you guys tried www.cdwow.ie it's like cdwow.com but in euro's!! great site for dvd's, games, dvd's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

ah but if you use www.cdwow.com.hk (thats the hong kong version) u can still use euros but it is cheaper! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

I think that link should be http://www.cd-wow.com.hk/ because if you leave out the '-' you get redirected to the sterling site.

Also, you can't check out in Euro on the .hk site anymore :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

That doesn't matter really, just go to www.xe.com and convert the prices and then smile as you see how much of a bargain you are getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

www.find-dvd.co.uk

It searches the cheapest place to buy out of about a dozen or more online shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭alexbrowne40

Originally posted by BNC
    I use cdwow all the time. I used blackstar and play before that. Stopped using blackstar when they started charging delivery.

I stumbled across cdwow.ie and noticed they had a DVD section. I've ordered lots from them. The DVD's come from Hong Kong fastest I 've gotten them is 2days!! average is 4!

I ordered Almost Famous from them thinking it was just the standard one. They sent me the Special Edition bootleg version of the movie which has two versions of the movie and also a CD of some of the song from the movie.

Big thumbs up for cdwow.ie

Yeah cd wow are the best. ive been using them 4 a while and no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

i'm just writing to say that theearlier posts re ordering from cd wow in Hong Kong are spot on , ie. use the www.cd-wow.com.hk site _instead_ of cdwow.ie. The discs come from the same place but they are cheaper if u order from the HK site.

I purchased from cdwow.ie 2 weeks ago and .hk last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

But beware ... the cheaper dvd's may not be Region 2 compatible ie. you need a multi-region player.

I bought our Sony dvd player cos the shop said it was multi-region. However, I had to download a hack from a dvdhack site, copy it to a handspring palmtop and update the player in order to play region 1 and 3 dvd's.

If you do this you should also be aware that if your television does not have a ntsc (?) setting, the multiregion dvds will play in _black and white_ only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

ah but if you use www.cdwow.com.hk (thats the hong kong version) u can still use euros but it is cheaper!

How do you get the site to display Euros? Cant see the option to do it. It would be nice to buy in Euro and avoid that nasty commission to change into Hong Kong $....

Anyone ever get caught with the customs buying off this site? Or do the goods come from the UK or EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i am a cdwow hong kong convert
    just click on the region 2 button on the site and all dvd's displayed are region 2 (surprisingly enough!)

i havent been charged any commission on my visa card although obviously the fx rate will be to AIB's advantage.

all stuff is posted from hong kong

even if you buy from cdwow.ie, the stuff is still posted from hong kong only you pay irish prices for it so there is no advantage in buying on the irish site.

a quick (rough) comparison: HK$9 = €1
    but seeing as you have an internet connection anyway, it shouldnt be too hard to find the correct rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tom B. Stones

Hi there. First post. :)

For prices and customer service, if not range, CD Wow (in any of its permutations) takes some beating. :)
    Originally posted by BNC
    Stopped using blackstar when they started charging delivery.
    Policy reversed, and prices dropped. And not before time! Thanks be to goodness for competition.

Get yourself a £3-off voucher code here. :) Use it even on the bargains (which tend to be genuine). How about "Gangs of New York" for UK£5.99 delivered? :D
    Originally posted by SteM
    Not sure if anyone's posted this yet but I've found the Canadian supplier DVD Soon very good on pre-releases. Generally the earlier you order the cheaper the DVD. I got the 4 disc LOTR for about €22 delivered from them recently.
    I am happy to second this recommendation. After a shaky start (much delayed deliveries, under-staffed CS dept), DVD Soon has matured into a fine retailer.

Note that - for the time being at least - delivery charges are being waived. Yes, even to this part of the world. Details here.

Note also that prices at Soon may rise or fall, but what say you to such goodies as the two-disc "Once Upon a Time in the West" for Can$14.98 (= €9.81!!) delivered? (Mine shipped today. :) Paid Can$16.98 for it at the time of ordering, too. Still, beats €30 or 40 on Grafton Street. And no pitch-shift issues either. ;) )

I would urge all to avoid Jersey-based Splash DVD like the plague. Some tempting prices, no doubt about it, but many, many reports confirm my own experiences that CS has gone to hell (to say the very least!) in recent months. (Have been charged over UK£100 for unfilled orders in a series of tempting promotions stretching back months, and e-mails are utterly ignored. Have Jersey Trading Standards on the case.)

Also based in Jersey, Play is an exemplary retailer with some equally tempting prices. Check out the bargain section for an eye-opening start. Free delivery to Ireland, every item in its own package.

Choices Direct is another retailer which knows how to treat its customers, but prices tend to be slightly higher than those at Play. Delivery to Ireland is UK£2 per order, regardless of size.
    Originally posted by Stokolan
    I usually use this for finding the best priced dvds on hte net

http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk

Not too sure if you have herd of it but it dose a search buy region for the cheapest price of the dvd your looking for and gives you a list of where to buy it starting with the cheapest price.
    Utterly agreed on its usefulness. Beats the R1-only DVD Price Search by permitting price checking among DVD retailers world-wide. And you can even set the currency to Euros.
    Originally posted by Kali
    just to add www.ezydvd.com.au prices are damn good, just saved myself a good bit over play.coms prices.. 2 week wait but who cares :)
    Excellent CS to boot, but in that neck of the woods prices are often markedly better (and CS satisfactory) at Devoted.

Elsewhere, Florida-based DVD Pacific has been getting some rave reviews for prices and service. I have my first order in the works at the moment, and can post back when I know more if anyone is interested.

Do bear in mind that DVDs from other regions may be better or worse than the "equivalent" local releases. (The afore-mentioned R1 "Once Upon a Time in the West", for example, boasts the film's original mono soundtrack as well as a 5.1 remix. The Irish/British release omits the former.) Reviews here. Comparisons here.

HTH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Guys,
    thought you might be interested in this, Region 1 only..
    WWW.DVD9.COM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Nice one zep, that site is seriously cheap. at current rates DVDs are working out at €10.77 delivered!! I'm ordering the League of Extraordinary Gentleman now.

Only thing is, they don't supply the DVDs in cases. According to their faq:

DVDs do not come in any keepcases. It comes in shrink wrap and the discs are protected by disc pockets. Cover artworks are included.

Shame, but not a problem as I have some spare. If I had to buy DVD cases it might be another matter, cos I don't know how much they are.

Cheers all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

For your case try here
    http://www.discount-computers-ni.co.uk/home.php
    Cases are only 19cent each. Delivery is 10 Euro, no matter how much you order.
    So if you order something else or get someone to go in with you, your on a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

poundworld had dvd cases, a pack of six double cases, for €2,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

Anyone have experience of http://www.empiredvd.com.au ? Very cheap on Disney movies .

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tall chapy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Anyone any experience of www.dvdcrave.com ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Quick question: Are any of the above listed sites based in Ireland? I need somewhere that accepts an Irish cheque...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    Quick question: Are any of the above listed sites based in Ireland? I need somewhere that accepts an Irish cheque...

I don't think any of them are. Most online stores will only take credit or debit cards.

• Advertisement

I figured as much. I got spoiled buying books off Easons. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

I would recommend dvdsoon.com as some of their prices are excellent.

Just received The Great Escape for €6.13.

Delivery a little slow, over 2 weeks but only took 4 days after it was dispatched.

Further to previous post last year, I have now used
    http://www.empiredvd.com.au
    and I have found them to be excellent.

Very quick turnaround and dispatch. 2 dvds in same box arrived 4 days after I ordered them.

I have also used

http://www.dvdcrave.com ,

a little slower on dispatch and delivery but very good nevertheless.

http://www.dvdsoon.com took 3 weeks but I suppose if something is out of stock one has to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bear in mind on Nrth America orders that "NTSC" DVDs are lower resoultion than "PAL" (480 lines vs 576) and use an inferior color (colour) sampling rate too the makes reddish colors less realistic.

Of course DVDs arn't actually PAL or NTSC, but the MPEG2 encoding "reflects" the intended analog viewing medium.

So Region 1 are visually inferior to Region2. True NTSC playback from 24fps film also has Interlace 3:2 pulldown artifacts on moving vertical edges.

BUT... For Region 2 they have to pitch correct the sound, otherwise it would be about 5% to high, as the 24 fps is simply played at 25 fps.

So if mastered from Film, BOTH versions actually in reality store the video at 24fps, but R1 plays it 30fps 60Hz interlace using 3:2 pull down and R2 plays it 5% fast at 25fps 50Hz interlace.

This is why progressive scan player and screen is a BIG plus in USA / Region 1 DVDs and nearly irrelevant on Region2 DVDs

As cinema changes to HDTV satellite feed instead of 35mm and 70mm film, distribution will be more syncronised and R1 and R2 release dates of DVDs will become the same.

Qua...? Very techie, but I think the gist is that R2 DVDs offer smoother framerates than their brash, presidentially challenged couterparts...

That might explain why my Finding Nemo copy is not crystal crystal clear ! I dont suppose there is any switch to flick to correct ? This is based on the assumptiuon that r2 Nemo is not visually distorted in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Thats right Watty, this is also the reason why American Region 1 DVD's have more special features on them. Because there is physically 17% more space to fit special features.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Thought I'd chime in with my experience with the Canadian site, http://www.dvdsoon.com

3 days after I placed my order, I got an email saying it was being shipped.

12 days after I placed my order, I recieved my package!

It was in perfect condition, (I opted to pay CA$1 extra for a box) and I did not have to pay any customs charges.

I'd happily order from them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dcm

i sent cdwow a msg asking about cheques etc. here's de reply
    Thank you for your email.

We are happy to accept cheque orders. If you use the site www.cdwow.ie all
    the prices will be displayed in euros for you.

Please send the cheque with your completed order form to -

CD WOW!
    Suite 2 Gregories Court
    Gregories Road
    Beaconsfield
    Bucks
    HP9 1HQ
    United Kingdom

As soon as we receive it we will place the order for you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Richard

www.cd-wow.com
    i suppose i should write them a cheque. :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

www.djangos.com

GOOD PRICES ON NEW STUFF GOOD SECOND HAND STUFF AND FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $25

Advertisement