Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best online DVD site

Options
  • 27-02-2002 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I've used http://www.play.com for quite a while now for both R1 and R2 DVDs, but some people have lately suggested http://www.dvdboxoffice.com as an alternate. Has anyone used these guys? I think they are based in Canada.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

can you buy PS2 games in the US or Canada and play them over here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i've orderd a good bit of stuff from play.com anyway, always found them quite decent regards price/delivery times.

just to add.. that dvdboxoffice seems expensive compared to play.com .. remember that the US$ is now cheaper than the euro (US$1 -> €1.15) / (CAN$ -> €0.70) .. don't know if delivery is extra as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

OK - I got Pearl Harbor 60th Anniv edition R1 from Play at STG£16.99, including free shipping. This roughly translates to €27.89

To get the same from dvdboxoffice, I'd pay approx €24.08 - I'd say in both cases, I'd pay the same c.c. surcharge. The delivery is also free. The only danger, as I see it, is I might get hit for customs on the DVD from Canada.

Waiting time would probably dictate getting them from Play.com

oops im wrong there, just had a bit of a longer look around the site (noticed the currency dropdown on the side menu..!) .. prices seem decent enough, might be returning to it for those R1s that are just so much better than the R2s.. (life of brian/mallrats/clerks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I first started using Play last may or so after hearing about them here, and haven't bothered ordering from anywhere else since then. Good prices (on music too), great service and R1 aswell as R2 (If you pre-order They often ship the DVD's a little early too so they actually hit your door on the release date. or a few days early). The No P&P policy is great too, you can just pre-order without having to worry about getting screwed on the handling costs.

Bruce, I don't think so, not unless you get your system mod'd anyway. I heard before that the PS2 can convert NTSC to PAL60 once it has been chipped. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I have used both Play.com and DVDbox office. DVDbox office are very good - free shipping - but delivery times can be long as they ship from Canada. Play.com however are excellent. I've ordered about 30 DVD's over a year and a half. During that time the following happened:

1. 3 DVD's were lost in the post - Rang up play.com and they re-sent the DVD's no problem.

2. Recieved a Sting concert on DVD but I was very unhappy with the sound quality - sent it back and my credit card was debited.

Also play.com have a good selection of DVD's for £5 / £10 / 2 for £20 ect. Shawshank redemption is ony £5.49

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Theres actually a thread about this in the Films/TV Board http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43203

But for everyones benefit here are my list of recommended DVD etailers.

Region 1

www.absound.ca
    www.amazon.com

Region 2

www.amazon.co.uk
    I normally buy from HMV or Virgin when they have offers

Region 3

www.dddhouse.com

Region 4

www.dvdcrave.com
    www.ezydvd.com.au

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭John mac

I use dvdboxoffice.com and splashdvd.com (based in Jersy) excellent service from both!

www.movietyme.com are good also for the region ones.
    They are now linked up with ezydvd in Ausralia for the region fours-so basically, if you see stuff you like on ezy,you can get it quicker via movietyme.

mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

can we make a sticky of this with a list of places ?
    like the tech forum
    very handy :D

just to add www.ezydvd.com.au prices are damn good, just saved myself a good bit over play.coms prices.. 2 week wait but who cares :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

2 weeks thats abit long for them. I normally see deliveries from them in a week. The record is 3 days btw :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I usually use this for finding the best priced dvds on hte net

http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk

Not too sure if you have herd of it but it dose a search buy region for the cheapest price of the dvd your looking for and gives you a list of where to buy it starting with the cheapest price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

For those of you who dont have chipped or multiregion players you could always try www.dvdoo.com, they sell region 1 and 2 films but the point is they sell some region 2 films that are not over here but ARE on sale in the states.
    i got natural born killers directors cut and almost famous directors cut at good prices both of which i dont think you can get over here. .its a danish site but it is possible to order, with the help of online translators. .and the admin was also pretty helpfull.
    its not hard. .prices are pretty good. .
    theres also alot of uncut films there, which is nice.

I've just happened on another. www.cd-wow.com For example, The Matrix (R1) UK£10.99, Black Hawk Down (R3) UK£13.99, Training Day £10.99 (R3) - free shipping!

I've ordered a couple this evening. I'll let you know how quickly they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

I use cdwow all the time. I used blackstar and play before that. Stopped using blackstar when they started charging delivery.

I stumbled across cdwow.ie and noticed they had a DVD section. I've ordered lots from them. The DVD's come from Hong Kong fastest I 've gotten them is 2days!! average is 4!

I ordered Almost Famous from them thinking it was just the standard one. They sent me the Special Edition bootleg version of the movie which has two versions of the movie and also a CD of some of the song from the movie.

Big thumbs up for cdwow.ie

My copies of Black Hawk Down and Behind Enemy Lines were posted on Wednesday and arrived this morning. Both sent from Hong Kong too. I noticed that on the customs sticker both were marked as merchandise, thankfully Customs didn't pick them up. I'll probably use them a little more now.

One thing that puzzled me, both items were charged at £13.99 STG, but were valued at £14.99 STG on the customs value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Kali
    just to add www.ezydvd.com.au prices are damn good, just saved myself a good bit over play.coms prices.. 2 week wait but who cares :)

Do they charge delivery?

yeah they charge delivery.. but its usually well offset by the savings... e.g. i got Life Is Beautiful for €13, Pi for €18, Requiem For A Dream for €10, and Metallica S&M (for a friends bday i might add) for €21.. all pretty decent prices (altho Pi you could probably get cheaper).. delivery was €5 iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

Go to http://www.digitaleyes.net - have used them for ages, and prices are the lowest as far as I can see.

Sudo911.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet but I've found the Canadian supplier DVD Soon very good on pre-releases. Generally the earlier you order the cheaper the DVD. I got the 4 disc LOTR for about €22 delivered from them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I use amazon.co.uk all the time.
    I found their refer-a-friend section pretty good.

each time you refer a friend, they get a £5 voucher if they dont already have an account.
    and if they buy something using the account, I get a fiver voucher too...

I have two refer-a-friends left this year, the first two to PM me get a fiver voucher
    terms and conditions apply

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

I have just bought from oz www.ezydvd.com.au It was about 40 euro less than play.com (who i normally use)...but i wonder about the delivery and customs.....
    I will let you know when it arrives (X-Files season 1 - 60Euro inc postage) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

DMG Direct is ok but delivery leaves a lot to be desired...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

forgot to get back...the ezydvd.com.au delivered within a week from australie....excellent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Easy-C

Ive being using cdwow.ie for over about year and find them very good
    but i just had a quick look at dvdboxoffice.com today and they
    seem slightly cheaper so i think i will give them a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

DMG Direct wont be trading for another month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I use cdwow for cds and dvd! cheapest around! :) and reliable! one time i ordered something and it got lost in the post... i mailed them and they simply sent me out another one... :) cant ask for better than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

With CD-WOW I have ordered cd's for the past year with absolutely no problems. I had 1 case where the cd case was damaged and I just e-mailed them and then sent another one to me no questions ....

There was a recent ruling from the EU that if you sell to a EU country you must charge VAT (I think !!) - I wonder how this is going to affect CD-WOW as I am sure the reason they are so cheap is because of the VAT....

Advertisement