Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive a bike

Options
  • 14-02-2002 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Hey - i'm driving a crappy scooter at the moment, and I'd like to learn to ride a "proper" bike. This sounds difficult to me, since I've never had to deal with gears/clutch before.

I don't want to go out and buy a bike without knowing how to ride the feckin thing safely and properly beforehand.

Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I had a moped for a while before I switched to a bike - I will say that I had already a fair idea how to drive a car which helps a lot!

however the first week was a bit hairy and though I didn't come off I was all over the place.

Why don't you get a biker friend to show you, failing that The Irish School of Motering has a section for teaching bikers and will even supply the bike for you - I imagine it would be worth the few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have a car licence so I know the theory/am used to clutching and gearing. 5 mins and I had starting/stopping down to a tee.

The bike I was on ran like this:-

Lever on left hand is clutch, right hand is front brake.

A small lever just at the toes of your left foot is the gear changer yokie. When in neutral, push it down to go into first gear. From first gear, push it up to go back into neutral, but from there you push it up again to change up the gears ie 2,3,4,5. Push the lever down to change the gears back down again. It sounds weird but its simple enough.

My brother did the exact same thing, and got a friend's brother to drive his bike home from the shop. Then he got a little crash course on how to use it, and spent all of his free time riding around. As with all vehicles, the only way to get used to it is to go out and drive around as much as you can. If you're not used to clutching and gearing it'll take a little longer, but after 2 weeks you'll be flying. Can't wait til I get my own bike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My first ever internal combustion engine was the 80cc one in a Honda NSR (or something) I learned to ride it around a housing estate. Which was not a good idea. I kept crashing the bloody thing until one day it got written off by a daft driver turning into me.

I love motorbikes but jesus they're dangerous. 4 wheels good, 2 wheels baaaad.

Originally posted by amp
    I love motorbikes but jesus they're dangerous. 4 wheels good, 2 wheels baaaad.

Who was it said on irc:

'It's really warm on the bike. Good leathers help, but it's mainly from the sweat of sheer terror'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, when I'm rich and famous my primary mode of transport will be a car, but for those lovely summer days that Ireland occasionally has I shall scream along roads on an evil motorbike laughing like a madman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

The basic functions of the bike will come relatively quickly... although you'll probably have great fun for a while trying to go from stationary to actually moving without stalling the thing.

On a motorcycle you're always improving and building your experience. A beginners course will help, followed by an advanced riders course when you have a few miles under your belt.

The main thing is to take it easy and don't start filtering everywhere you can if it's going to be an abnormally high risk. Don't get into races with 1000cc sportsbikes. Don't try and overtake an artic that's doing over 80mph on the motorway unless you're feeling particularly stupid.

It's all about driving defensively; always looking for the old woman who might not see you, always looking for the pedestrian trying to cross the road in slow traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's filtering? And I don't plan on racing someone's 1000cc sports bike, I'd like to get something manageable like a 125cc Virago to start off with.

Can anyone give me any info on this Irish school of motoring bike course?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

primary controls

cycle4b.gif
    future stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by amp
    but for those lovely summer days that Ireland occasionally has I shall scream along roads on an evil motorbike laughing like a madman.

Ahh, a pastime I know all too well... The patented 'evil cackle' as you pass a car at high speed :D Its as if to say "Too bad mr car driver, see yah later"

But anyway, back to the business at hand.. I'm not going to offer any in-depth technical solutions or anything. I'm just going to say that making the move to gears will be very easy. Best thing is that ure already used to 2 wheels. When I got my first bike I was at home using the gears after ten minutes. Like a car, all you have to really get used to is the sensitivity of the clutch.

Easy as shootin whales in a bucket. Good luck :)

It'll be a while yet - I'm waiting for the insurance to expire on my scooter (end of may/early june) and will have to sort out a loan and stuff to finance the new bike.

I'm falling in love with those Drag Star 125's... no matter how slow they are. Beautiful machines - if it can do a steady 60+ mph I'd be happy. I'd settle for a virago though if that's how it pans out.

Anyone have up-to-date prices for a new Virago 125 or Drag Star 125? I was thinking of going second hand, but I'd like a new bike... something un-fupped up by any previous owner muppet :)

I had a look on bikeworld.ie, but their price list seems out of date (prices are still in punts as far as I can tell).

BTW, while I'm here - any tips about getting finance for the bike? I know nothing about that whatsoever. I've had an account with AIB since i was about a month old, but I don't know what they're like for motor loans and the like. Any tips would be welcome.

cheers.

• Advertisement

For your viewing pleasure....

http://www.rossmotorcycles.com/newbikes.html

Prices for new bikes (was updated last month)

As far as finance goes.. .I got a BOI Motorloan within a week (for quite a lot of cash too). You could probably work something similar out with AIB. All they really want to hear is that ure in steady employment and are earning enough to pay them back. You shouldnt have any problems. Just go in and get an application form and have a chat with the loan officer in the bank. Chances are that if they are going to approve the loan they will do so within 2/3 days.

Why dont u just update your insurance? Sure it might cost a bit to alter the policy but its better than waiting until June to get your lovely new machine! My policy was only up in the middle of august (got my new bike last month) and I know if I had to wait until my policy expired I'd have gone completely loopers. That said.. it did cost a bit to make the change but it was well worth it.

185-showroompic-1997.jpg

Nice :)

I never thought of upgrading my insurance - since I didn't know that was possible. Hmm... :)

Any idea what the difference between an XV125 Virago and an XV125S Virago is (besides a few hundred euros)?

Yeah I went into bikeworld there last week, and the prices were higher than said on the website......Can't remember offhand how much they were tho. Also rang them on Saturday, and they had no seecond hand 125's :(. Oh well, just gotta keep looking........

Woohoo, I went into Planet Superbike in Carlow today. They have a 2001 Virago 125 coming in tomorrow - wine colour, saddlebags and sissy bars (ie nice big pillion seat) added, mint condition etc. Sounds like just what I want. They're offering it to me for IR£2500 (€3175) + my old (crappy) scooter (98 Yamaha Spy 50cc). This sounds like a good deal to me - any comments?

Of course I'll have to have a look at it myself first :)

Time to start arranging a loan and seeing to getting my insurance upgraded I think :)

(stay away from it seamus! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Nice.

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I have a Suzuki GN125 - This is a lovely bike, I had an AX100 before hand which was really a piece of crap. Get a bike with disc brakes anyway, big difference.

Speed varies alot, against heavy wind I find it difficult to do a steady 50 - 55mph without having to drop a gear and pick up speed again. Although the max speed on the counter says 125kph, I was behind a truck today and I'd guess I got up to 135kph, the fastest I've ever gone on the bike. Immensely good buzz. I also like racing really fast bikes in heavy traffic, he who takes the right route through the traffic wins :)

Slaanesh.

Well, I'm calling my insurance broker in the morning and the fact that my ould wan works in AIB might get me a low cost loan... Things are looking up! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

This sounds like a good deal to me - any comments?

Stephen - my only comment is - I want it!! :D
    seriously, it sounds like a good deal!

Originally posted by Slaanesh
    he who takes the right route through the traffic wins

And he who takes the wrong route through the traffic dies (or gets into a nasty situation) - Now thats what you call driving by the seat of your pants :)

Stephen - Sounds like a whopper of a good deal to me. Especially with saddle bags cos a good set of them can set yah back a coupla hundred squids.

I think I'm going to pass on it tbh, I gave it a closer inspection today. I think its been in a crash during the year and a month that the previous owner had it. New front mud guard and stuff, plus there's 17 THOUSAND miles on the clock. That's a lot of motoring for one year :/

I spoke to somebody who says they know the actual bike, and they think its been ridden very hard over the year, and wouldn't buy it if they were me.

I think I'll continue the search... next stop baldrick's motorcycles in Kilkenny when I get home at the weekend.

• Advertisement

I've been thinking - If I can't pick up a 2nd hand Virago 125 some time soon, what about a new Suzuki Marauder 125? Anyone have anything positive or negative to say about this bike? Its a good deal cheaper than a new Virago (at www.cottermc.com anyway).

pic:

maraud1.JPG

I like that green paintjob.

Anyone know the top speed of those things? :)

Get away from it!!! That's mine!!!!

Yeah that's the one I've been checking out. €4200 brand new. Lovely Bike. I found a second hand one here in Dublin, but I'm not giving any hints!! I just wanna get rid of this %&@€;ing car!!!! Top speed 65-70mph apparently :)

(It's also available in jet black or silver mmmmmmm)

couple of things with marauders (and yes, these are my own opinions)

1. There are too many of them on the roads these days (not a problem if you dont want a rareish bike)

2. Resale *at the moment* is cack. This is mainly due to the fact that there are so many of them on the roads but still nobody seems to want them second hand.

3. Its not a v-twin (and so sounds like a turbo charged sewing machine)

4. That exhaust... need I say anything further?

And now a couple of good points (because I dont want to get lynched by all the marauder owners out there).

1. They are cheap.

Sorry.. thats all the good points I can think of right now...

Stephen, if I had your choice I'd hold out for a virago or something thats at least a v-twin. That way u'll have a bucketloads of extra power and it'll look a lot cooler!

As for top speed.. I'd say you'd be able to push it up to about 60mph (but at that speed a 125cc engine sounds REALLY bad! (rpm too high.. etc)

Bikez.com reckons you'll get 62.8mph out of it, but I'd say thats as far as you'd be able to push it captain.

Seamus - they're advertising new Marauder 125's at cotter motorcycles for 3777 euros on the road (so I presume that means it includes VRT and VAT.) I might give them a look :)

And I have to agree rymus, that exhaust pipe looks sh1t.

Hmm... Keep looking.

to be fair, if the exhaust is the only thing youre not too keen on you can change the end of the pipe. Of course the fact that the exhaust curves upwards anyway doesnt really leave you a lot of options for changing the look of the bike. (unless you opted for a whole new exhaust which would probably set you back a coupla hundred squids)

Well, I really would prefer a Virago instead, but I'm keeping the Marauder in mind if I can't find one sometime soon. Btw, AIB have approved my loan, and can give me the money overnight whenever I decide to get the bike.

I'd live with the crappy looking exhaust on a marauder for a while if I had to... I'd rather not spend a few hundred euros on a new one that i don't _need_.

guh, the more I look around the net, the more nice cruiser-style 125's I want :)

Suzuki Intruder VL125 looks nice but pricey
    Honda Shadow VT125 also nice but pricey
    Honda Rebel CA125 again nice, but seems quite rare

Then there's the aforementioned Virago and Marauder.

I think at the moment if I had to choose, it'd be either a Virago or an Intruder.

Gotta visit some bike shops this weekend :)

Suzuki Intruder VL125 looks nice but pricey

I cant speak highly enough of this bike! It was my first baby. Wonderful bike, great power. Sure its expensive but well worth it.

Honda Shadow VT125 also nice but pricey

Yeah nice bike too. Sister had one of these for a while. Its heavier than the intruder but not a whole lot really. One thing that will more than likely turn you off choosing this bike is that its group 3 insurance while the intruder above is only group 2. That could represent a saving of quite a few quid.

Honda Rebel CA125 again nice, but seems quite rare

Meh... I dunno... looks a bit... you know.... different!

The intruder is most likely the biggest of the three, I used to crack a smile every time someone would mistake it for anything from a 400 to 750cc :) Sounds beautiful too.. pity I didnt record a sample of mine before I sold it cos it sure as hell doesnt sound like a 125

Ugh! Group 3 insurance! That rules the Shadow out straight away :(

The intruder DOES look very attractive, but as I said, expensive. I think I'd only be able to afford one second-hand. (they're €4888 (on the road) from cotter's - €5015 from Ross Motorcycles, Bikeworld don't seem to deal in suzukis, and www.brayhondacenter.com is hopelessly out of date (and horrifcally designed)) I'm going to see how much my local dealer (Baldrick's Motorcycles, new building lane, Kilkenny) are asking for new intruders and viragos. Then see how much they'd knock off for my scooter (which they know well...they've serviced it enough times).

Won't be back home till saturday though, or maybe friday evening if I get in early.

I'm all excited, since that loan's approved I could have a bike of some description within the week :D

I've got a friend who knows a thing or two about bikes to go with me too, but he's no mechanic.

One thing though, Baldrick's is the only motorcycle dealer in the kilkenny area :(

• Advertisement

I went and viewed a '99 Virago today, ~6500 miles on the clock. Lovely blue and white paint job (see the pic I posted above - way up above - that paintjob). Dealer told me it was dropped when I asked about a few *small* scratches around the headlight. It looks to be in great condition and the dealer says he will perform a full service on it before selling it. I think I'm going to go for this one!

He's asking for IR£ 2450 for the bike (on its own, without tradein etc.)
    I'm dropping my scooter in to them tomorrow for the mechanic to have a look over before they decide how much to offer me for it.

There was a red 2000 marauder there too, but I really prefer the virago.

The scooter i'm offering him is a '98 yamaha spy 50cc, not in great condition. Rear tyre has a slow puncture, speedo cable is knackered, 16000 km on the clock, tax runs out at the end of this month (:)) and one of the side fairings is loose (cracked at the bolt). It also has non standard mirrors, as some <unt vanalised the mirrors ages ago.

He should know the scooter well though, he's serviced it a few times.

Any idea how much he's likely to offer for it against the virago tomorrow? :)

Advertisement