Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Smashing Pumpkins

Options
  • 08-02-2002 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Im a newbie here :) hi everybody!!!!!!!!!!

Im a big pumpkins fan , is there many others here??? Ive been having trouble finding new music, as a pumpkins fan who loves every single one of their songs what other bands would i likely to like??????????? all i listen to is pumpkins... :)
    advise would be great.......... thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I thought that the Glam rock band Rachel Stamp sounded quite like the pumpkins.
    You should check them out.
    Just don't expect anything as good as the pumpkins themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MetroDuck

all i listen to is pumpkins...
    Same here! I'm such a geek! I think Machina is so underrated(heavy metal machine is umm... a bit crappy tho) and Siamese Dream will never grow old. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭healyron

Advice would be great? Okay, then... Listen to some more artists! Not that there's anything wrong with the Pumpkins or anything! Get out to gigs and see live music. Any gig worth it's salt is better than an Album and may even be cheaper. Better still, bring a tape recorder or mp3 recorder and make your own album.... or would that be illegal...?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ah... there's no shortage of Pumpkin-ites here, welcome aboard :]

Of course, all of our music tastes will be different, but I'm a huge Pumpkin fan and I can't help but love Jimmy Eat World too, check them out. And of course the Pixies :]

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭healyron

Showing my age here but I remember having the odd chat like this on old style bulleting boards (ie before the Net was invented) and saying the same about Bjork when she went solo and about some new band called REM..... Everything changes and everything stays the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i re-bought siamese dream, and melncholy again on cd there about a week ago.
    i listened to them once.
    i would now like to give them away as i have to say that i think they are incredibly boring.
    i used otlove them, and i still love a few songs on siamese dream.
    but god, melencholy is sooo boring. talk about contrite teen angst bull shít.
    i guess you just grow out of it......

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Tool...not that they are like the pumpkins,i just like them way more than the pumpkins now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I am a pumpkins fan too.
    As Pie pointed out Jimmy Eat World are also very good and you could also download songs by Zwan who have Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin.
    Their songs are on www.billy-corgan.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kylereese

i think the closest thing to siamese dream is my bloody valentines loveless which corgan admits seriously influenced the sound of siamese dream...get it! its a must have for anyone who likes good music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

The Pumpkins do indeed rock. However I can see where WWM is coming from, I'd have to say that I don't like them quite as much as I did.

I am, I think one of only two people on the planet who thinks Adore is their best album. There we go I said it, commence the flaming.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jimi-Spandex
    I am, I think one of only two people on the planet who thinks Adore is their best album.

I must be the other then? Seriously though, if you ask long-term fans, a heap of them will tell you that Adore is by far their best work.

As for what WWM said all those months ago, yea of course it sounds a bit angstish when you get older, but you'd be hard pressed to find such a wide and diverse selection of musical styles on any one album from any other band in the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rubyseyes

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i re-bought siamese dream, and melncholy again on cd there about a week ago.
    i listened to them once.
    i would now like to give them away as i have to say that i think they are incredibly boring.
    i used otlove them, and i still love a few songs on siamese dream.
    but god, melencholy is sooo boring. talk about contrite teen angst bull shít.
    i guess you just grow out of it......

ah another one who will never understand mellon collie & its infinite realms... the album is a conceptual masterpiece which goes much further than "teen angst" as you say....do you think corgan would write songs like thru the eyes of ruby with the lyric..."my love for you just can't explain..why we are forever frozen, forever beautiful, forever lost inside ourselves,,,or the serene beauty of "poecelina of the vast oceans" which in my opinion is way over most teens heads in terms of concept & dept., of course there was the teen angst single bullet which they had to release cos of their young fanbase to promote a far deeper album....but to be honest 1979 is pure nostalgia from the point of view of a man (corgan) about to hit his thirties. furthermore a constant theme of almost period (alice in wonderland esque meet anne rice) fantasy interlaces the album from start to finish again proving its dept. i am still learning from that album and i'm nearly 24... really you should listen to it again.....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Yeah, another Pumpkin here!

I also agree that Adore is Billys best work simply because it is the most honest and least pretentious of his albums.

As WhiteWash pointed out listening to SD and MCIS can be tough. I find them so personally because when I first started listening to the pumpkins these two (and Gish) were almost like the soundtrack to my life.

However, as I’ve grown a bit older and I find I can’t listen to the early stuff without being constantly dragged back into the memories of my late teens. I guess I’ll be glad in 20 years that I can capture that feeling but for now I’d rather just avoid the drain.

But to answer your question check out stuff like Joy Division, Bauhaus, My Bloody Valentine and Cheap Trick if you are into the Pumpkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Support for the ego-manic Corgan continues....

No, support for a brilliant band continues and rightly so.

If you've nothing worthwhile to say, sssh. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rubyseyes

Originally posted by PiE

right on motherf***er!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ah another one who will never understand mellon collie & its infinite realms

And plumbing the depths of all that is moribund and flaccid is an excercise in profoundness itself?

That said, I love "Silverfark", right up until where Corgan happens to let his jaw swing open.
    but to be honest 1979 is pure nostalgia from the point of view of a man (corgan) about to hit his thirties.

Pardon me for labouring under the apprenhension that the man was born middle aged.
    furthermore a constant theme of almost period (alice in wonderland esque meet anne rice) fantasy interlaces the album from start to finish again proving its dept. i am still learning from that album and i'm nearly 24... really you should listen to it again.....................

If you keep on listening to Judas Priest albums for long enough, you can surmount a class action lawsuit. Perhaps the space between the lines is vacant for a reason?

Originally posted by PiE

It's at this point that I get the overwhelming urge to FLAME you...

Corgan is a gifted man, but he's also an ego manic of the highest callibre...

So in a sentence...

Screw you as well as Mr. Corgan.

Originally posted by Robbo

And plumbing the depths of all that is moribund and flaccid is an excercise in profoundness itself?

That said, I love "Silverfark", right up until where Corgan happens to let his jaw swing open.

Pardon me for labouring under the apprenhension that the man was born middle aged.

If you keep on listening to Judas Priest albums for long enough, you can surmount a class action lawsuit. Perhaps the space between the lines is vacant for a reason?

where ignorance is bliss.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

I'll be the first to admit that Billy Corgan is a pretentious man, but come on, the guy is a musical and poetic genius... You don't have to like the Pumpkins or Billy Corgan but at least give credit for excellent artistry.

I too am a pumpkins freak, I bought every CD i could get my hands on, the t-shirts, the posters and a red Stratocaster. Every one of their albums is excellent, i agree that Adore is the most un-pretentious and i like it for that, but Siamese is my favorite... it hasn't gotten boring after hundreds of listenings so it never will.

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the Zero EP? I remember seeing it in HMV years ago but haven't seen it since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

Oh yeah Pissant... you gotta listen to Tool and the Queens of the Stone Age, they both rule too :-)

Originally posted by Kylereese
    where ignorance is bliss.......

Some would argue that your stupid would cause massive amounts of bliss if it could be shared by the general populace....

A Turn fan slagging the Pumpkins.

"Oh no!"
    It's at this point that I get the overwhelming urge to FLAME you...
    Sigh.
    Corgan is a gifted man, but he's also an ego manic of the highest callibre...
    So what the hell are you arguing about? Nobody here said he was a saint.
    So in a sentence...

Screw you as well as Mr. Corgan.
    Thanks. So when exactly are you gonna add something worthwhile to the thread?

Boddah, I could make a copy of the Zero EP if you want, I'm sure you'd prefer the real CD though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

So when exactly are you gonna add something worthwhile to the thread?

It's worth acknowledging that the man has many flaws, like any human, and celebrating and recognising these. It would be amazingly imbalanced to have an entire thread full of posts from fawning fanboys heaping praise up a mock rock idol.

Good day to you sir.

Originally posted by PiE
    So what the hell are you arguing about? Nobody here said he was a saint.

...?

Sorry Robbo but it's hard to take a person [who obviously isnt a fan] seriously when he continues to call Corgan an "ego manic" and threatens to "flame" me without offering a valid reason for his almost non-existant point.

There's not one fan here who doesn't cringe a little when they see the course Corgan took in the Machina days, what with the "story" behind the album, he did become and probably still is a very egotistical man. But then again theres a fine line between egotist and perfectionist.

Ah well, we're all allowed an opinion unfortunately.

Originally posted by deco

Some would argue that your stupid would cause massive amounts of bliss if it could be shared by the general populace....

"stupid" oh sorry i think you meant to say "stupity" or am i too stupid to realise that?, personal digs aside, the general populace aside, this comes down to recognising real talent which is getting rarer by the minute...i mean i can't stand van morrison but i still acknowledge his genius...credit where credit is due man...fair is fair.........corgan is a genius ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Do you people read and then try to analyse and interpret the lyrics for deeper profound enlightenment? I just headbang to it.
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's great music, been listening to them for about 8-9 years, if not longer, but alot of the tunes are ones I'd have playing in the background as I work, prehaps with my foot tapping to the tune.

If you go into depth on lyrics, like poetry you fnck it up.
    I absolutely hated my english teacher for that. getting waaaaaay too anal about some poetry, missing the point completely, and often contradicting himself within one or two sentences.
    Take a chill pill and get a bit of ska into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Oh for christ sake, why do ye really care how egotistical Corgan is, in my eyes he is probably the finest musician of the 90's. It's not as if during their one of their great many songs that Corgan starts talking about how he has made such an impact on the music scene. If you never read an interview with Corgan I bet you would think that the pumpkins are excellent. Anyway everyone knows that Jimmy Chamberlain made the band great. My favourite album is either Gish or Siamese Dream.

On to another thing, I have two Zero EPs, one bought in a shop and the other from "The Airplane Flies High" boxset. The inlay cards are different to each other which has me confused as to which is the real one. Oh and they are not for sale ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i liked some of the pumpkins stuff. does that make me a fan :) anyone know whats Corgan's new band like, think they are called Zwan.

adnans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by D-Generate
    I have two Zero EPs, one bought in a shop and the other from "The Airplane Flies High" boxset. The inlay cards are different to each other which has me confused as to which is the real one

has one of them got a picture of a naked female. if so that's the real one and a very good EP it is too

Advertisement