Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundry Extension: Different scenarios - Rename Limerick city to Clare City

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Because it is the 3rd city, being the fourth means it gets much less funding ... plus tourists will go to Galway instead of Limerick as there last destination (or first), companies would come here because rates would be lower in the city, more tours would open because lower rates ... ending up with more tourists.
    And its stupid that the suburbs of the city isnt included in the boundary that must be almost unique to Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

You took the words out of my mouth:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ok why piss and moan about it. if you really want to do something then why not make a submission to the Department of the Environment on the issue of a boundry extension for limerick.

Feel free to post your submissions and replies here if you wish for discussion and an exchange of ideas.

Anybody from Cork or Galway like to throw a few comments on what they think of that Boundary issue in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

ok then lets say you get your extension what does that leave the county with??Ill tell you what it will leave us in a worse situation than were already in
    thw only real fair way of sorting this out i suppose is to merge the 2 councils even though it could make things worse for us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

1huge1 wrote:
    ok then lets say you get your extension what does that leave the county with??Ill tell you what it will leave us in a worse situation than were already in
    OK, The co.co is like the second richest in Ireland.... we are already in a great position! Also the co.co will begin taking care of what they were created for.... the county! At the moment they focus on the suburbs... I'm saying that and i even live in the suburbs, i admit that at the moment they dont concentrate on the county enough!
    Also the city council has agreed to pay the co.co a bundle that the co.co would lose, more than likely they would open a new business park either around Croom, or Foynes.... whatever way, that would go to developing business within the county, which would in turn create a comfortable income!

1huge1 wrote:
    thw only real fair way of sorting this out i suppose is to merge the 2 councils even though it could make things worse for us
    Well actually both sides would be messed up, the city would have no mayor! So the city would have no voice speaking for it at a local, national or international level! And even then they might not do the boundary extension because in defense they have said it is pointless for years!!!!
    The county would lose out because they would be working on the upkeep of the city..... Its a lose, lose situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

According to the carelessly researched editorial on violent crime in Ireland in Friday's Irish Times, the boundary question has already been resolved:
    Responding to crime

11/11/2005

Even a casual perusal of this newspaper in recent days reveals an alarming picture of wanton violence and lost lives matched, it seems, by an equally dangerous detachment on the part of all but the victims and families involved.

Admittedly, the suspension of the bulk of the three-year sentences imposed earlier this week on two men for an assault on Barry Duggan - in Grafton Street in 2003 - prompted some public debate. But there are worrying signs of a reduction in the extent to which violence is registering in the public psyche. We appear to be growing inured to the phenomenon or, worse, appear willing to accept that it constitutes the norm within a modern society.

Mr Duggan spent three weeks in an induced coma after sustaining a broken jaw and eye socket, as well as fractures to his head and skull, when he was attacked by Stephen Nugent and Dermot Cooper. The more recent fate of others has been worse. Teenager Darren Coughlan died in Limerick on Tuesday after being attacked by a gang who beat him about the head as he lay on the ground. Father-of-two John Cunningham (26) died in Dublin on Sunday after being beaten and stabbed with a snooker cue and a long-bladed knife. Owen McCarthy (22), from Clondalkin in Dublin, was found murdered in Co Wicklow last Friday. A small-time drug runner, he was the target of previous attacks in which, in one instance, his legs were broken, and in another a shot was fired, injuring a bystander. A week earlier, the body of David Nunan was discovered with gunshot wounds in the village of Parteen in Co Limerick.

Other incidents demonstrate a sinister casualness and randomness in the use of violence which will come as little surprise to anyone familiar with the scenes outside many pubs and nightclubs at closing time or, indeed, with day-to-day proceedings in our courts. On Monday, for instance, a Circuit Court judge in Co Meath heard how a man suffered potentially fatal injuries when he was stabbed with a glass bottle by two other men he did not know. And Tullamore District Court was told last week that an Offaly Gaelic footballer kicked an opposing player in the head as he was lying on the ground.

True, Ireland remains relatively safe. The rate of crime - including offences involving violence - is low by international standards. However, in a speech earlier this week, President Mary McAleese identified the risk of individualism in the context of the current choices facing Irish society. In our response to crime, individualism is not a realistic option. We must pay attention before we are directly affected. There is no room for indifference.

© The Irish Times

That really is a disgrace that a national newspaper couldn't be bothered finding out where in the country the places it writes about are in. It reminds me of the British media's attitude to Irish celebrities down the years - for instance when Eddie Irvine was winning races he was a British driver but when the tabloids were full of his late-night drunken antics he became just another Irish Paddy- in this case the Times is quick to associate Limerick with crime even though Parteen is in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

As a half limerick half galway man myself i think this boundry issue is certainly a hot topic of discussion that needs resolving. but i have to say regardless of limerick getting third city status back or not i don't think it will make much more of an impact to the city of limerick with regards investment,tourism etc. Tourists aren't going to go to limerick just because of its 3rd city status because galway is just a nicer more tourist friendly city and with regards industrial and foreign investment coming to limerick because of city status its ridiculous the govt and govt agencies like the IDA etc will still encourage industries into Galway and Cork city because if any1 looks at a map of Ireland they would see that the locations of cork and galway offer a more strategic location with regards encouraging balanced regional economical development. Limerick seems to be doing fine the way things are especially with regards developments under construction and planned for the city regardless if its Irelands 4th or 3rd city. This limerick board proves that. I think this is just a question of Ego because people here in Galway dont care if were Irelands official third city or not we'll get on with it anyways. maybe Limerick should too.:(

Jammyd wrote:
    As a half limerick half galway man myself i think this boundry issue is certainly a hot topic of discussion that needs resolving. but i have to say regardless of limerick getting third city status back or not i don't think it will make much more of an impact to the city of limerick with regards investment,tourism etc. Tourists aren't going to go to limerick just because of its 3rd city status because galway is just a nicer more tourist friendly city and with regards industrial and foreign investment coming to limerick because of city status its ridiculous the govt and govt agencies like the IDA etc will still encourage industries into Galway and Cork city because if any1 looks at a map of Ireland they would see that the locations of cork and galway offer a more strategic location with regards encouraging balanced regional economical development. Limerick seems to be doing fine the way things are especially with regards developments under construction and planned for the city regardless if its Irelands 4th or 3rd city. This limerick board proves that. I think this is just a question of Ego because people here in Galway dont care if were Irelands official third city or not we'll get on with it anyways. maybe Limerick should too.:(

Where did your comments say Galway and Cork are more Strategic in Location Limerick and more industries will move elsewhere even if Limerick get its city back, Did the IDA actually say what you said, Did every tourist you come accross , say oh Galway si way nicer than Limerick, this thread is about the boundary issue, leave it alone.

Secondly What a load of baloney on better location etc..
    Limerick is Closer to Dublin than either,
    Bigger Airport than Galway/Cork combined.
    Limerick Port is smaller than Corks but Galways is to small to compare at all,
    One of Ireland's most important waterways pass through Limerick, the Shannon
    Limerick is in fact more strategicalluy located because its a cross road of the the western seabord of Ireland.
    Limerick hinterland population is marginally smaller than Cork yet way bigger than Galways
    anything else?

the boundary issue is not just about getting its third city staus back but getting half of its city back too.

have to agree with mysterious there you got a lot of facts wrong there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cork_girl wrote:
    definitely don't agree with the whole Clare city!! idea
    Now imagine how the Clare people feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I agree on certain points Jammyd but I think you miss the point about Limerick being the third city. The reality of it is that Limerick has both a larger suburban area than Galway that is currently being excluded from the official stat's, and secondly, that Limerick/midwest has far more commuter towns than Galway. Towns like Ennis, Shannon, Nenagh, Thurles and Newcastle West have a symbiotic relationship with Limerick city.

On the tourism point, I don't think Limerick really tries to compete with Galway, maybe it should, but right now it's more important that Limerick focusses on issues it can deal with, namely improving the city centre, pushing for the boundary extension, and of course, dealing with Limerick's reputation and the root social causes of Limerick's reputation. To my mind there has been an increase in visible tourism since Ryanair expanded it's Shannon services, but we are still light years away from creating a scene comparable to Galway's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

it makes sense that in local government, Limerick city council expands and takes part of clare co.co and limerick co.co,i doubt this will happen though, on the clare side local rivalries come into play, on the limerick co.co. finance is the reason, specifically rates etc., if the minister for local gov. had balls he would approve boundary extension, however he would be opening a political pandoras box as other areas like waterford city/kilkenny co. have an ongoing dispute.

i think its wrong as well as to argue over which is closer to dublin and what it means for the development of the city.ideally city/council planners should be promoting their area to be a focal point for growth to rival Dublin not complement it, its what the NSS is all about(though thats been completely ignored).

on the other hand though i think limerick city. co. has been very standoffish with the two other councils, using Cork city and county councils as an example and their creation of Metropolitan Cork, Limerick city council could have proposed a joint committee to help run the greater limerick city area.(although metropolitan limerick just does'nt sound right does it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Is it officially posted anywhere , the reasons why

a: limerick corp want the boundary extention
    b: clare said no
    c: limerick co co said no

Just wondering what the actual "put down on paper" reasons were by all three .

jonski wrote:
    Is it officially posted anywhere , the reasons why

a: limerick corp want the boundary extention
    b: clare said no
    c: limerick co co said no

Just wondering what the actual "put down on paper" reasons were by all three .
    exactly so dont get your hopes up people

I can't understand why some areas such as Parteen and Cratloe areas cannot be allowed into the cities boundary, when most people there are from Limerick and work in Limerick want to be part of Limerick , its literally a few miles outside the city centre so naturally its feels like Limerick in some aspects...

Services in some areas of the border are third world, as one local resident was complainin of the lack of libary facilties, and some of the roads are treachrous out by Parteen, All limerick wants is the natural exenstion of the city suburbs into its new official boundary. can anyone tell me why can't Limerick city get the title like most cities , if its expand why can't it officially expand like most cities :rolleyes:, the Land that is been wanted from Clare to the city is relatvely small in comparison to the Limerick county council which are downright mean anyway to give anything.....

anyway I am sick of this really, The whole of the Midwestern Region will lose out if Limerick is to remain in limbo. Clare/ L.County council are quite stupid to let this happen, sorry to say, because all there interested in is taking everything they can from the city. keeping the city static and yet allow the city to go deep red into red tape at the same time, while the city council is struggling to do well with what it has. :(

i find it pointless blaming thins on the county council
    for the final time im gonna say that i really cant see there being any difference whether we get this extension or not
    but if you really want to fight for the people who want to take away a lot of the money for the county suit yourself
    dont forget there is a whole county out there that far out number the city

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

Alot of Dublin is in different counties.

Do you hear them asking the goverment to make Co.Dublin bigger.

Deadlocked wrote:

County dublin is divided into three different local councils though, Dublin City Council, Dun Laoire/Rathdowne council (i think) and Fingal County council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

County dublin is divided into three different local councils though, Dublin City Council, Dun Laoire/Rathdowne council (i think) and Fingal County council.

& South Dublin Co. Council..

• Advertisement

Deadlocked wrote:

actually I wouldnt say that Dublin city extends into other counties actually, now that I think of it. I would have considered anywhere with a postcode to be in Dublin City. places like Ballybrack are in Co. Dublin.

But these areas are densly populated enough to support the relevent council's infrastructure. whereas the population of limerick city council's juristiction is not populated enough to support the infrastructure which people from the surrounding areas use in the city when the go to and from work in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Limericklad

I have a few questions if anyone could answer would be a great help:

1. What is the likelihood of this boundary proposal becoming law?
    (in other words, is this a rough early draft proposal or is it something that simply needs rubber stamping by a national agency)

2. Has Clare rejected previous proposals?

3. Who needs to approve the proposal?

4. When does it expected to take effect?

5. What does it mean if you live in County Limerick now but the boundary change puts you in the City? What material difference does it make to your life? Do you pay extra/less rates? Does it affect rubbish collection? If you own a house or land, does that increase/decrease in value?

6. If I personally object to, or would like to request a change to, the boundary proposal, how do I register this objection? Is there a forum and procedure for taking the opinions of affected people into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

As far as know its a Department of Environment decision. As the only Limerick TD at the Cabinet table I'd guess Willie O'Dea would have a lot of influence here. I've heard he's against it though I don't know if that's accurate.
    Its a proposal that could lose him plenty of votes but not really gain him many.

Business rates will probably increase in assimilated areas and, I'm guessing, car & home insurance would probably increase too. Only the plus side, overall planning should improve though I haven't very much faith in Limerick City Council on that score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Why would car and home insurance rise? Business rates would be standardised I suppose, city would have more money to invest in amenities, county would get money from the city to compensate for some of the lost rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

Business rates will be 'standardised' upwards for those businesses currently in the County. Limerick City has traditionally had levied of the highest business rates in the country. That won't end soon. They have plenty of financial problems that won't be ended by extending the city boundary.

The car insurance you pay depends on where you live - not just the general area but the actual neighbourhood sometimes. If an area is moved from the county into the city (where the crime rate is higher) then your premium is likely to go up. I don't know if house insurance works the same way but it may well do.

Advertisement