Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundry Extension: Different scenarios - Rename Limerick city to Clare City

Options
  • 04-11-2005 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Ok people are probably not going to like some of these alternatives, and some of them are in jest so here goes.

South east clare don't want to be a part of limerick. and county limerick dont want to be part of the city so how are these for options

Why not get rid of limerick altogether. Merge County Limerick with County clare. rename limerick to Clare City and everyone will be happy.

who knows, maybe ditching the name Liemrick might help shake off some of the nasty press the city is getting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

i wont even dignify that with an answer......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ok people are probably not going to like some of these alternatives, and some of them are in jest so here goes.

South east clare don't want to be a part of limerick. and county limerick dont want to be part of the city so how are these for options

Why not get rid of limerick altogether. Merge County Limerick with County clare. rename limerick to Clare City and everyone will be happy.

who knows, maybe ditching the name Liemrick might help shake off some of the nasty press the city is getting.
    no offence mate but that is just stupid and i think most ppl will agree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

spinalsly wrote:
    i wont even dignify that with an answer......

im deeply hurt :D

so what alternatives would you suggest? buthe yourself and 1huge1

hhhmmmmm i think i have an idea
    wait can any of ye give me a link to the current city boundary and the proposed boundary extension please.

the changes required would be minor i think

of course limerick_man would have to change his name to clare_man. but i dont think he would mind :)

theres a link to the new boundry extension somewhere in the urban renewal thread

i think this is the map
    http://www.limerickcity.ie/services/planning/pl_CityBoundaryExtension_2004-10-Proposal.html

all together now

Clare, your my lady....

• Advertisement

yeah i dont understand why they have to go so far into clare, like make it go past caherdavin all the way to the clare border. this way you get all the caherdavin and a bit more and that it really. should be no problems. and for the county limerick people bitching......well i dont see what the big deal is for them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

No offence Billy, but that's a massively **** idea. The real problem facing Limerick city is from county Limerick, Clare only accounts for a small proportion of the proposed extention.

well if it were up to me I would extend the border as far as shannon.

I would rename shannon airport to Limerick International airport.

I would extend it as far as adare to the west and Newport to the east

we wouldnt need another boundry extension for a hundred years if we were to do that.

i still think we should change limerick_man's name to clare_man for a laugh - if not for SSF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Ok , here we go . Limerick has this reputation for being full of gangsters , hard men and scum bags in general . So we amass them all on the border , no need to arm them as they already will have brought their own , these will be backed by the army from the "garrison" in Edward Street . Then we march forward and annex Clare . Using this method we get to keep all of Clare for the city , plus with this done Limerick , not only has the numbers to bleed the European funding dry , but we are now a multi beach seaside resort with our own International Airport in the middle of our city .

Method No2
    If the above is too heavy handed for some of the do gooders , then I propose that we put in order a law that forbids any person not dwelling within the city boundaries from shopping, parking , playing , working , dancing , drinking , fighting , singing , sexing , laning or bitching within our city limits . If these "outsiders" wish to do same they can go to Ennis , Tipp town or Newcastlewest , depending on which side of the country they hail from .But be warned , while ye are away doing all these things , we might just decide to put plan A into action anyways .

John

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think that maybe they should just let the boundary extention go, no wait, hear me out. It is an emotive issue, especially as people from Clare want to remain part of their county. And despite the financial reasoning many people will never, ever see past the emotive side of it.

Instead why not merge the 3 councils. Instead of there being a Limerick city council, a Limerick county council and a Clare council, why not have 1 Limerick/Clare council. They would have a shared pool of resources and a shared pool of resposibilities from and for the entire duristiction. Major roads, parks and river areas should be maintained to agreed minimum standards. Then they can vote on what to do with the rest of their budget.

• Advertisement

Ah but that would put two county managers out of work. do you thing the Fianna Fail cronies would go for the axing of two unnecessary civil servants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I agree that the area in question should have one authority over it, we need to build a cohesive identity about the Midwest region (what a lame name, how about the Golden Vale?). Too often Clare and Limerick fight against each other allowing the other areas of the country to develop at our expense.

Most people see shannon airport as limericks airport anyway no one cares if it is in clare
    It was actually supposed to be built in ballyneety until de valera interfeered (spelled that wrong)
    shame it wasnt because ballyneety is just down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Well this is no joke Limerick is seriously losing out as a city compared to Galway and Cork.

The Government is basing the facts and figures over a the old boundary where a city area is stagnant only for the Docklands and inner city redevelopment it would be decliniing today.

from over 60,000 15 years ago to 55,000 today and suburbs are about the same figure now, the city is at least 100,000, oficially its 87,000 on the last census, but the whole of limerick was that througout the last century these figures are totally inadequaute to run a city on !!!!

get the hell on with the boundary extension and f*** the money mean county octupuses out of the way! Tell the county council look after what they have rather than using the resources of the city .

enough is enough. sooner or later the rescources are going to run dry from the likes of Clare and Limerick Co. Council grabbing the money al the time,

Raheen, Ul, Cresent SC alone would be the best Xmas present the city wouid ever have in there boundary limit, yet its in the city anyway, mad...
    The whole Countrythinks bloody Galway is bigger, whats next Waterford in this Census coming up,
    Limerick is after losing out on the NDP
    Ye now have to go to Galway for special services in the regional hospitals

uh o :(

Wake up Limericl people before your money and multi nationals are gone, Cus the Government ain't interested in helping you out.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ah but that would put two county managers out of work. do you thing the Fianna Fail cronies would go for the axing of two unnecessary civil servants.

See, there I go forgetting that logic will get you nowhere with our government.:rolleyes:

Ok then how about this. They can keep the city manager and the two county managers but introduce the new office of Super Duristiction Manager!!!! Then instaed of losing two managers, they would gain an extra one.

Yes it is a huge waste of money, but it is Fianna Fail so on that fact alone the idea might appeal to them.;)

iguana wrote:
    See, there I go forgetting that logic will get you nowhere with our government.:rolleyes:

Ok then how about this. They can keep the city manager and the two county managers but introduce the new office of Super Duristiction Manager!!!! Then instaed of losing two managers, they would gain an extra one.

Yes it is a huge waste of money, but it is Fianna Fail so on that fact alone the idea might appeal to them.;)

Well there would ahve to be a consultant hired to look into the possibility of that idea.

plus it would only work if he gets disturbance pay as per public sector union guidlines:D

how about thsi. we swap the county names. clare could be Limerick and Liemrick would be Clare. then the parteen people would want to be back in Clare again therefore accepting the proposal for a boundry extention.

when they are firmly within our grip we switch the names back when they are not looking, there will be nothing they can do :D

get the hell on with the boundary extension and f*** the money mean county octupuses out of the way!
    from mysterious

Thats very unfair im from and i live in the county and I would like to see the city get a extention and i who are you to blame it on the county huh
    the county council is actually in the city you idiot so before you start calling names get the facts

take a weeks break for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

1huge1 wrote:
    get the hell on with the boundary extension and f*** the money mean county octupuses out of the way!
    from mysterious

Thats very unfair im from and i live in the county and I would like to see the city get a extention and i who are you to blame it on the county huh
    the county council is actually in the city you idiot so before you start calling names get the facts

Sorry, I meant the councillors and the lobby people who are trying to stop the extension from going ahead, the Fact is most people in the county are with the boundary proprosal!!

take back what you said "idiot" I never argued that county council is not in the city, Most idiots know that btw,
    Chill and take holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

The problem isn't so much with areas like parteen as with places like Caherdavin and Raheen. The County Councils are making millions off the businesses in these areas, which people in the city provide with revenue. The Councils aren't just going to agree to giving up as huge a source of revenue as the city's suburbs. The Obvious move would be to make this a big election issue, as this would force the government to do something about it.

As for renaming Limerick City to Clare, I don't know why, but that actually made me physically shiver. People have too much pride in their own areas to accept that change. Why not leave Limerick as Limerick but combine the counties under a new name? The only problem with that is the republicans are going to have to change all the graffiti looking for a '31 County republic' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1huge1 wrote:
    from mysterious

I think the new County Council offices next to the Cresent Shopping Centre are technically in the county as I think that area is outside the city boundry as is much of Raheen.

The old County Council office (Motor Tax office) is of course still in the city on Mallow Street though.

the old county cuoncil building occupied three georgian buildings on o connell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

bazz26 wrote:

I think the new County Council offices next to the Cresent Shopping Centre are technically in the county as I think that area is outside the city boundry as is much of Raheen.

The boundary line runs along the river just before the cresent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I say Clare can keep Clare Limerick dont want it...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

well if it were up to me I would extend the border as far as shannon.

I would rename shannon airport to Limerick International airport.

... kinda biased are we??? Its pointless, as much as we like to think Shannon is Limerick's airport (and I do) it actually was positioned for the west of Ireland, not just for Limerick city but for the areas of ... nothingness!

i still think we should change limerick_man's name to clare_man for a laugh - if not for SSF

tut tut! While we're at that why not change yours to ....... um ..... give me a sec. ...... awwww....

Anywho .... on your original idea... NO! Terrible idea! On the idea of merging all three councils, WTF? ... in that case why not cut down to one for the entire country... the whole point is that thry are regionalised! That would be HUGE amount of land, look how fceked up Cork and Galway are!

What I firmly beleive would help many of our problems would be a partnership between the coco and city council, that they would share money and equipment! Also seeing as the funding would go between them ... council housing would be shared intrest, and from there it would be easy for the council to pick certain people etc., who thy feel arnt adding to Limerick City and build an entire new town or village... which would of course need local people to work in the local post office, shops, bars, and other buildings! Also seeing as the coco.'s problem with the boundary extension is that they will lose out on alot of money from business' etc., that would no longer be a problem!!!

What I firmly beleive would help many of our problems would be a partnership between the coco and city council, that they would share money and equipment! Also seeing as the funding would go between them ... council housing would be shared intrest

something would have to be done though about Limerick CCs debt. I wouldnt imagine that any council would be willing to give up being in the black to take on the 7 million debt owed by the city council.

all things considered though its down from 18 million so they must be cutting back on absoloutely everything or doing something miraculous.

Yeah, .... *ahem, the new building in Peoples Park, ahem*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 phonemonkey

I think that clare rejecting the extension is stupid, parteen etc wouldent even exsist if it werent for limerick, most of the people use limerick to work, play etc. It was also confirmed that it would save clare co co money to allow the extension. I can see limerick co cos objection but again its stupid as limerick council has agreed to pay limerick co co money to make up the loss of revenue. The whole argument of not being accociated with limerick is ridicouious aswell, if someone asked where they were from theyed answer somewhere near limerick.and so what if limerick has a bad rep most of the violence is isolated to a group of scumbags who probably deserved getting their heads kicked in the first place. I love liveing in limerick Ive been all round the world and limerick can stand with head high compaired to some of the places Ive been :D

nicely said monkey

• Advertisement

Yeah, Limerick is a fantastic city, and will be really great once the city begins to get resources!

Advertisement