Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your music?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Pacifico wrote:
    Ok so you support them, they get signed by a money hungry company and what? you drop 'em?

No I don't hang out at Whelans and support posing idiots. I support bands with more meaning than that who wouldn't sign to a money hungry label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ehhhh for what it's worth, it's the likes of HMV and Tower and our beloved government who are to blame for CD's being expensive, not the money hungry capitalists down at the record label. Downloading music isn't going to hurt anyone but musicians and bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What about the hundreds of independent record labels putting out great music at a loss because people are downloading instead? What about bands being dropped by record labels because they're not shifting enough CDs? If the Arcade Fire or whatever band people seem to care about got dropped tomorrow because their album wasn't selling because people were downloading you'd probably be all up in arms.
    Ag marbh wrote:
    No I don't hang out at Whelans and support posing idiots. I support bands with more meaning than that who wouldn't sign to a money hungry label.

Would they sign to a nice non-money hungry label then? Oh wait, there's no such thing. Some are better than others but all are involved in the record business. All artists need to make something from their art, otherwise they are really just hobbyists.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Doctor J wrote:
    Ehhhh for what it's worth, it's the likes of HMV and Tower and our beloved government who are to blame for CD's being expensive, not the money hungry capitalists down at the record label. Downloading music isn't going to hurt anyone but musicians and bands.

i'm not sure about the second part doc j, you've got it with the pricing part though,but recently there's been alot of bands that have garnered huge support from putting music on the net, wilco have done it for years, i think if the quality is there you'll make it. I download alot of music,legalishly!! as do most of my friends but generally we'll get the album too, and i think this holds for alot of people. Also you've got to admit that music reaches a much larger audience and more people have found bands that in the past they would never have heard of, and that can only be a good thing...

this is in no ways a personal attack doc, most of the time im in agreement with yourself but you posted last and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Doctor J wrote:
    You can't make an omelete without breaking a few eggs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement