Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "All In The Cooking" old cookbook thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

Thank you so much, I appreciate you taking the time to write that out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Runtotheshops

Hi all
    I've stumbled upon this while looking for the famous book, which my mother used at school in the early 1950s. I'm so impressed at the generosity of those who supply these great recipes. We always made the rich Christmas cake, so thanks a million for that.
    If anyone would be able to scan or write up the Christmas Pudding recipe then I would be so grateful. I have tried and failed to find one as good over many years. I'd love to be able to make it with my children. Thanks in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I can put up the pudding recipe tomorrow evening if nobody else does in the meantime x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi all
    I've stumbled upon this while looking for the famous book, which my mother used at school in the early 1950s. I'm so impressed at the generosity of those who supply these great recipes. We always made the rich Christmas cake, so thanks a million for that.
    If anyone would be able to scan or write up the Christmas Pudding recipe then I would be so grateful. I have tried and failed to find one as good over many years. I'd love to be able to make it with my children. Thanks in anticipation.

Here ya go!
    Plum Pudding
    Ingredients: 2 oz flour; 4 oz breadcrumbs; 4 oz beef suet or butter; 4 oz brown sugar; 2 oz sultanas; 4 oz raisins; 4 oz currants; 2 oz candied peel (chopped); 1 oz whole almonds; rind and juice of 1/2 lemon; 1 sour apple; 1/2 tsp mixed spice; 1/4 tsp salt; 2-3 eggs; 2 tblsp whiskey OR half a small bottle of stout.

Method:
    1. Prepare the dried fruit. Blanch and chop the almonds. Peel and grate the apple. Put into a bowl with the candied peel and lemon rind. Mix all well together.
    2. Chop the suet finely and add it to the sieved flour. If using butter rub into the flour or soften it and add it later with the eggs. Add the sugar, breadcrumbs, spice, salt and mix well together. Mix in the prepared fruit.
    3. Beat the eggs and add them with the whiskey OR stout and lemon juice; bind all together. Leave overnight.
    4. Put in a greased bowl. Cover with a prepared cloth or cooking foil. Steam or boil for around 4 hours.
    5. When cold, store in a dry place for several weeks. Steam or boil for 2 hours before serving.
    6. Turn on to a hot dish. Just before serving pour a little whiskey over the pudding and light. If not lighting, put a sprig of holly on top.

Enjoy, it sounds class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Runtotheshops

Thank you so much! Reading the instructions brings me right back to our old kitchen! Very much appreciated!

• Advertisement

I am after coming across a copy of this book in junk that a friend was getting rid of.
    it's battered, and has no cover, but the recipes are intact.
    im delighted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was having a chat with the OH's grand mum yesterday and she said "have you ever heard of, is it, all in the cooking?". So I gasped and said "you don't have a copy of that, do you?" She says she has a copy of number 2 but has no idea where it is, but when she finds it, she's giving it to me :D

I have a feeling though that it's number 1 that everyone here is after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Just had a look through cookbooks here, I found my nanas copy, but it's book 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This book is disgusting. Stewed eels, lobster spawn? But take a look at this... I feel like the book is trolling me

Yum yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

It's Book 1 is the one that's really hard to find alright yeah. I'm sure Book 2 has plenty of good stuff too though!

The brains and stuff is just because it's old - it's from a generation that used cheap cuts of meat and used all the animal. I have a French cooking book too that has lots of recipes using offal and weird cuts of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I have eaten fried brains, years ago. They were absolutely delicious! I appreciate that the idea can be off putting but they are full of fat; think of a kind of unctuous fried bacon vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Could anyone post up the brown bread recipe from all in the cooking? Did a search in the thread and didn't find it.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

10 ozs wholemeal flour
    6 ozs flour
    1/2 teaspoonful salt
    3/4 teaspoonful bread soda
    About 1/2 pint of sour milk or buttermilk

1 Put bread soda into the palm of the hand and press out lumps with fingers. Sieve the flour, soda and salt into a bowl. Add the wholemeal flour.
    2. If liked, a little bacon fat or butter may be rubbed into the flour. Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in nearly all the milk.
    3. Turn on to a floured board and knead until the side next to the board is smooth. Turn the smooth side up, flatten out. Cut a cross on top with a floured knife.
    4. Place on a lightly floured tin. Bake in a fairly hot oven for about three quarters of an hour. [fairly hot is 425F, 215C or 6 gas]

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Patrick Mangan

Swiss Apple Pudding

6 ozs crumbs
    1.5 ozs finely chopped suet
    or
    1.5 ozs melted butter
    1 oz brown sugar

2/3 apples
    1oz sugar1tablespoon water

Brown crumbs
    Grated rind of .5 of a lemon

Serve with custard sauce or sweet white sauce or syrup sauce

1. Grease a 5" cake tin and line it with brown crumbs
    2. Put the bread crumbs, suet and sugar into a bowl , add lemon rind and mix all well together
    3. Stew the apples to a thick pulp with the sugar and the water
    4. Put a layer of crumb mixture in the bottom of the tin, then a layer of apples keeping them about a half inch from the edge of the tin
    5. Continue in layers, finishing with a layer of crumbs
    6. Bake in a moderate oven for about half an hour
    7. Turn out onto a hot dish
    8. Serve sauce in a sauce boat

I hope that this is what you are looking for.
    Enjoy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Discovered the mother has a copy of this, Book 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My mum said a friend of hers gave it to her last year and she gave it to my brother!! I think I'll be getting it from him, might be worth quite a few bob in years to come ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am pretty sure my Mam has Book 1 at home, I should go and scan it one of these days. Made all my scones and pancakes from it as a kid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Working through old recipes, for Madeira cake... and my cooking time seems... out.

The times in All in the Cooking (Madeira Mixture - Queen Cake) is 20 minute at a moderate oven, where moderate is 400F (approx 200C) -- but all the madeira recipes I've seen elsewhere are much much longer. (I've a second edition, published pre-1960, since my mum's notes are all about a 1960s test in the margins!)

When I cook these, they tend not to be cooked through, or if I expand the time they get too crusty/crisp on the outside. I know I need to reduce the heat and increase the time... Any experts at these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

smiles wrote: »
    When I cook these, they tend not to be cooked through, or if I expand the time they get too crusty/crisp on the outside. I know I need to reduce the heat and increase the time... Any experts at these?

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but are you using a fan/convection oven?
    Madeira recipes are highly variable, in part because of temp (1hr+ at 150, to 40min at 180), and in part depending on whether you do it in a loaf tin or a round cake base (size overall of cake also matters enormously).

I'd try 180 for 30-40 mins and test the cake at 30. Stick a chopstick/toothpick/cake tester into it and when it comes out clean, it's done. If it's browning on top and not done, then cover with a loose tent of foil?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

I'd never heard of this book before, now I WANT (along with everyone else!)...
    Will be keeping an eye on in the charity shops etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gspark

I've just pre-ordered the book on Amazon.

It's being re-issued by O'Brien Press in September. The Amazon price is £12.99.

Seems a lot better value than the crazy prices they are looking for second-hand copies online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have a copy of 'All in the Cooking' too, Book 1, 1975, if anyone wants a recipe let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭frisket

I would love a proper digital edition of these cookbooks. Hell I'd type them myself. Did you try contacting the publishers/authors?
    As I said in an earlier post, the book is still in copyright to the authors and their heirs. I have had email from the grandson of the last surviving author, Ann Martin, originally asking me to remove the facsimile recipes I posted in that link, but I am happy to say that he has kindly asked her if they can remain, and she has generously agreed, so I have updated the link with an amended copyright statement.

As to the publishers, Ann Martin's grandson has confirmed that they did not ever have copyright, only a licence to print. They are clearly not interested in reprinting it, so I would expect the way to be open to any enterprising publisher to approach the current copyright holders for a new licence to print. With a little editing it should have a ready sale.

DianaN wrote: »
    I received this reply from Aine Mulloy, market research and Editorial exec at Educational Co. Of Ireland:

"Currently we have no intention of issuing a limited reprint of this title, and while you may copy small portions of the text for personal use creating multiple copies, selling copies of the text or distributing said material is not permitted by law. I hope this has answered your questions, and if you have any further queries please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Áine Mulloy"

So nothing unexpected.
    Indeed not: publishers are notoriously ignorant, both of their own markets and of the technology required to exploit them. The very fact that you had to approach them and ask, instead of them following threads like this in order to monetize their lists, is evidence enough of that.
    I dont get companies sometimes though. We cant copy it, because it would be breach of copyright. We can't buy it because its out of print.
    Never attribute to malice that which can sufficiently be explained by incompetence. The publishers simply don't have the slightest idea of the demand for their back lists, and they have no-one left who knows how to judge them.
    I understand doing a print edition would probably be costly but this would be an easy inexpensive book to do an e-version of.
    Oh no it wouldn't, I'm afraid. Sure you could scan it and stuff the scans into a PDF or an Ebook. But that would simply reproduce a 1975 edition as a curiosity for antiquarians.

It needs to be scanned and OCR'd (or retyped), marked up, edited, re-typeset and then transformed into a proper EPUB3. If you offshore the OCR to the Pacific Rim, I would estimate four months elapsed time, with about two months work for a digital editor/designer to do the final production.
    And there are people willing to pay for it. In a recession....
    There most certainly are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

frisket wrote: »
    As I said in an earlier post, the book is still in copyright to the authors and their heirs. I have had email from the grandson of the last surviving author, Ann Martin, originally asking me to remove the facsimile recipes I posted in that link, but I am happy to say that he has kindly asked her if they can remain, and she has generously agreed, so I have updated the link with an amended copyright statement.

As to the publishers, Ann Martin's grandson has confirmed that they did not ever have copyright, only a licence to print. They are clearly not interested in reprinting it, so I would expect the way to be open to any enterprising publisher to approach the current copyright holders for a new licence to print. With a little editing it should have a ready sale.

It's currently being reprinted and will be available in September. You can pre-order it on Amazon already: http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Cooking-Josephine-B-Marnell/dp/1847177875/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431304036&sr=8-1&keywords=all+in+the+cooking

Ooooh I wonder if its book one or two or a combination?

Fascinating, thank you. Clearly my correspondent was unaware of this, or perhaps wanted to keep it secret.

I wonder if this is just a scan-and-copy reprint, or a genuine re-edit and re-typeset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mamamia51

I have this! The newer version from school,1978.
    Can't post a pic as not enough posts yet!

Advertisement