Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "All In The Cooking" old cookbook thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EllaCarl

Thanks for that.

It was the late 60s when I used that book so, yes, mine was probably a later edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Querygirl

My mum is always talking about a receipe that she had to do for an exam in school called queen of pudding? Does anyone have the receipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

QUEEN OF PUDDINGS

50g breadcrumbs
    300ml milk
    15g butter or margarine
    1 level tablespoon sugar
    1 egg yolk
    Grated rind of half a lemon, or a few drops of lemon essence
    1 tablespoon raspberry jam

1 egg white and 50g castor sugar (for the meringue)

1. Put butter, milk and lemon rind into a saucepan, and heat until the butter is melted.
    Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Cool slightly.
    2. Beat the egg yolk, add the heated milk, stirring all the time.
    3. Put the breadcrumbs into a bowl, and pour the egg and milk over them. Pour into a
    well greased pie-dish.
    4. Place on a flat tin. Bake in a very moderate oven for about 40 minutes or until set.
    5. Heat the jam slightly and spread on top of the pudding.
    6. Beat the white of egg stiffly and fold in the castor sugar. Pile roughly on top of the
    jam.
    7. Return to a very cool oven until the meringue is set and well dried out, about half an
    hour. Allow to become lightly browned.

Note: Instead of making breadcrumbs, cut the bread into pieces, soak in the egg and
    milk mixture until soft. Beat well or put in the liquidizer at slow speed for a few
    seconds.

When I saw the photo of the book, it looked familiar, and sure enough I found my old copy from school, with my name and old address, and dated November, 1976! It is the New Revised Edition 1975.

Of course my younger sister (now aged 48!) doodled all over it a few years after me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

EllaCarl wrote: »
    I'd love two more recipes from All In The Cooking, if at all possible - Stuffed Tomatoes and White Soda Bread.

Is this the one you are looking for?

Filling
    1 oz breadcrumbs
    1 oz butter
    1/4 teasp chopped onion
    1 oz cooked ham or rasher
    or
    1 oz sieved cheese
    1/2 teasp parsley [chopped]
    Pepper & Salt

1 Wash the tomatoes, cut a slice off the rounded end of each. Scoop out the pulp, remove the hard part.
    2. Melt the butter, add the tomato pulp, onion, chopped ham, breadcrumbs, parsley, pepper and salt. Mix well.
    3.Fill the tomatoes with this mixture. Replace caps. Put on to a greased baking tin, cover with a sheet of greased paper. Bake in a very moderate oven 15 - 20 minutes. [Very moderate according to the book is 350F / 175C].
    4. Garnish with parsley and serve hot. They may also be served on rounds of fried bread or buttered toast.

• Advertisement

YES!!

That's it! Thank you! :)

SODA BREAD

500g flour
    Half teaspoon bread soda
    Half teaspoon salt
    About 300 ml of buttermilk

Put bread soda into the palm of the hand and press out lumps with the fingers. Sieve flour, soda and salt into a bowl.
    Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in nearly all the milk. Mix to a loose dough, adding more milk if necessary.
    Turn on to a floured board and knead lightly. Turn the smooth side up, flatten out. Cut a cross on top with a floured knife.
    Place on a lightly-floured tin. Bake in a fairly hot oven for about 45 minutes.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

these are my "all in the cooking" books :)

allinthecooking_zps62d0884e.jpg

Not a bit jealous!! :rolleyes:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

EllaCarl wrote: »
    Not a bit jealous!! :rolleyes:

;)

Anything you want copied from them just let me know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Thunder And Lighting

Hi can you please send me on the recipe for sausage rolls. Thanks you.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Hi can you please send me on the recipe for sausage rolls. Thanks you.
    5oz rough puff pastry
    1/4lB Sausage meat
    To Glaze: Beaten egg
    To Garnish:Parsley
    1.Roll out the pastry into an oblong 1/4 inch thickness and about 6"in width.Cut in two on the lenght.
    2.Divide the sausage meat in two,put on to a floured board and form into two rolls the lenght of the pastry.
    3.Put the sausage meat on the pastry and brush the edges with cold water.Fold the pastry over the sausage meat and press the edges together.
    4. Make slits on top with a knife, brush over with beaten egg and cut into 3 inch pieces.
    5.Put onto a tin, bake in a hot oven (230 c) for the first 10 mins. Reduce the heat and bake for a further 25-30 mins
    6.Serve hot garnished with parsley

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Thunder And Lighting

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Thanks very much
    No probs..... enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I've really enjoyed reading this thread!....

I've copied some of the recipes, thanks to all the posters who obliged!...

GSWxxxxxx
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soupy mince

Would anyone be able to post the recipie for steak and kidney pie? I'm not sure if it's in book 1 or 2. I gave away my mother's treasured copy many years ago and she still reminds me about it to this day. This was her favourite recipie from the book so if I could get this I might redeem myself somewhat!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭frisket

Would anyone be able to post the recipie for steak and kidney pie? I'm not sure if it's in book 1 or 2. I gave away my mother's treasured copy many years ago and she still reminds me about it to this day. This was her favourite recipie from the book so if I could get this I might redeem myself somewhat!

At the risk of awakening the sleeping publisher and authors — again — I have made a typographic facsimile of the Beefsteak and Kidney Pie recipe in its context and added it to the original facsimile extract. You can download the PDF from the same place at http://silmaril.ie/downloads/aitc1-extract.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soupy mince

Thanks so much frisket...very much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

frisket wrote: »
    At the risk of awakening the sleeping publisher and authors — again — I have made a typographic facsimile of the Beefsteak and Kidney Pie recipe in its context and added it to the original facsimile extract. You can download the PDF from the same place at http://silmaril.ie/downloads/aitc1-extract.pdf

I would love a proper digital edition of these cookbooks. Hell I'd type them myself. Did you try contacting the publishers/authors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

frisket wrote: »

Just found this thread and am getting hungry :D I saw the ingredients for the Baked Liver and Bacon recipe but that's all that's there. Is there any way you could post the instructions for it please. My mum used to make this when I was a kid but when she died my brother nicked all her old cookery books :mad: Would really love to make this again but I bet it won't taste anyway as good as hers lol

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

FanadMan wrote: »
    Just found this thread and am getting hungry :D I saw the ingredients for the Baked Liver and Bacon recipe but that's all that's there. Is there any way you could post the instructions for it please. My mum used to make this when I was a kid but when she died my brother nicked all her old cookery books :mad: Would really love to make this again but I bet it won't taste anyway as good as hers lol

Thanks

1/2 lb sheep's or calf's liver
    1/4 lb streaky rashers

Stuffing
    2 ozs breadcrumbs
    1 teasp chopped parsley
    1/2 oz chopped onion
    pepper and salt
    1 oz butter or margarine

Gravy
    1/2 pt brown stock
    1/2 teasp Worcester sauce or mushroom ketchup
    Pepper and salt

1. Cut the liver into slices about 1/2 inch in thickness. Place on a greased tin.
    2. Make the stuffing by mixing all the dry ingredients together and bind with melted fat. Spread a large teaspoonful of stuffing on each piece of liver.
    3. Rind, bone and cut each rasher in two and place a piece on top of stuffing.
    4. Pour a little stock into the tin, cover with a sheet of greased paper and bake in a moderately hot oven (400F) for 30 minutes.
    5. Serve on a hot dish. Add remainder of stock to the tin and boil up. Add the sauce or ketchup, season and strain around the liver on the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

gmf1024 wrote: »
    1/2 lb sheep's or calf's liver
    1/4 lb streaky rashers

Stuffing
    2 ozs breadcrumbs
    1 teasp chopped parsley
    1/2 oz chopped onion
    pepper and salt
    1 oz butter or margarine

Gravy
    1/2 pt brown stock
    1/2 teasp Worcester sauce or mushroom ketchup
    Pepper and salt

1. Cut the liver into slices about 1/2 inch in thickness. Place on a greased tin.
    2. Make the stuffing by mixing all the dry ingredients together and bind with melted fat. Spread a large teaspoonful of stuffing on each piece of liver.
    3. Rind, bone and cut each rasher in two and place a piece on top of stuffing.
    4. Pour a little stock into the tin, cover with a sheet of greased paper and bake in a moderately hot oven (400F) for 30 minutes.
    5. Serve on a hot dish. Add remainder of stock to the tin and boil up. Add the sauce or ketchup, season and strain around the liver on the dish.

Thanks so much for that :) Know what I'll be eating later this week lol

I would love a proper digital edition of these cookbooks. Hell I'd type them myself. Did you try contacting the publishers/authors?

Yes. No response. I think they're off-planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DianaN

My mother has this, twas well battered but my brother had it rebound for her for Christmas. She guards it from her children like it was gold bars!

I have been very very lucky to have found a very good condition Book 1 and Book 2 on ebay over the last few years/
    I am now after another copy of Book 1 for a friend. Her mother (now sadly deceased) had a copy and she doesn't know what happened to it but wants mammys cookbook..

I emailed the Education Company of Ireland today to see if it can be copied, or if they would consider doing a limited run print.
    It would sell off the shelves I'd say, provided it wasnt going for €200. It's currently on Amazon for £199 and £399 respectively. And the buggers have the cheek to ask for £2.80 postage on top of that.
    I'd happily pay up to about €40 for a copy.

Copyright law seems to end 70 years after the death of the author. In my googling, I am sure I saw a first edition dated (maybe from nat library) 18 something.
    Now dont know if because it is a Colaiste Mhuire book means it is owned by the nuns now? DOnt know enough about copyright.

DianaN wrote: »
    I emailed the Education Company of Ireland today to see if it can be copied, or if they would consider doing a limited run print.
    See my earlier offer here to re-typeset it if someone (or some people) can re-type or scan/OCR it.

The copyright owners clearly have no idea of what value they are sitting on. It might be worth checking with a lawyer to see what the position is about copyright abandonment.
    Copyright law seems to end 70 years after the death of the author.
    It's a little more complex than that. IANAL but I think in the case of a book with multiple authors it's the death of the last surviving author.

In any case, the book was last republished in the 60s or 70s, so it's going to be a while before the *publisher's* copyright runs out.
    In my googling, I am sure I saw a first edition dated (maybe from nat library) 18 something.
    Really? I was under the impression that it was first published in the 1940s. Do you have the URL?
    Now dont know if because it is a Colaiste Mhuire book means it is owned by the nuns now? DOnt know enough about copyright.
    No, it was just named after the college. If the page you were looking at was https://libcat.dublincity.ie/02_Catalogue/02_005_TitleInformation.aspx?rcn=EX00027121& then that's just the catalogue entry from Dublin City Library, and the book is undated (that's the "nd" in the Publication field). In any case, the Educational Company wasn't founded until 1910.

Let us know if you get any reply. Feel free to point them at this discussion of they want sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If anyone can get hold of a copy that they don't mind being taken apart, i.e. pages separated, for scanning (it's easier and you can also get better scans that way) I'd be more than happy to scan / OCR it.

Alun wrote: »
    If anyone can get hold of a copy that they don't mind being taken apart, i.e. pages separated, for scanning (it's easier and you can also get better scans that way) I'd be more than happy to scan / OCR it.

You should be aware that in doing this, you would be committing a breach of the Copyright Acts.

As would I, if I then re-typeset it for distribution.

Of course, we could just do it and then offer it to the ECI to print...:-)

http://www.worldcat.org/title/all-in-the-cooking/oclc/26506492/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true
    It was here.
    It must be a typo. I have a vague notion that there was a 1970's edition; Perhaps they were confused.

I've had a look at Colaiste Mhuire history, and it wasn't established until 1941 so it must be a mistake.

"Culinary education in Ireland began in Kevin Street Technical School in the late 1880s. This consisted of evening courses in plain cookery. Dublin’s leading chefs and waiters of the time participated in developing courses in French culinary classics and these courses ran in Parnell Square Vocational School from 1926 (Mac Con Iomaire “The Changing”). St Mary’s College of Domestic Science was purpose built and opened in 1941 in Cathal Brugha Street. This was renamed the Dublin College of Catering in the 1950s"
    Alun wrote: »

Excellent idea. If I had a spare I'd be up for it. Not letting my copy out of my hands though.
    Interesting that the rare book people have it for sale at such silly prices. Do they not think anyone wants this book for the recipes?

• Advertisement

I received this reply from Aine Mulloy, market research and Editorial exec at Educational Co. Of Ireland:

"Currently we have no intention of issuing a limited reprint of this title, and while you may copy small portions of the text for personal use creating multiple copies, selling copies of the text or distributing said material is not permitted by law. I hope this has answered your questions, and if you have any further queries please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Áine Mulloy"

So nothing unexpected.
    I dont get companies sometimes though. We cant copy it, because it would be breach of copyright. We can't buy it because its out of print.
    I understand doing a print edition would probably be costly but this would be an easy inexpensive book to do an e-version of.
    And there are people willing to pay for it. In a recession....

Advertisement