Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collating complaints against IBB.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rommy667

i know this a complaint froum but i have to say for me ibb rock i get full 2/2m down and up at same time & they never gave out bout how much usage a month i use,sure it was down a few times but over all it rocks.....

edit:hshortt i have just renewed my second year contract :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

heh heh rommy667, we could open a book and take bets on how long it will take you to change your tune.

I'm on the Bray mast and had no service last night, this morning, when I rang the automated message explained that there were currently problems on the Bray Mast, so I let it go.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

That was the second day in a row its happened with bray about 12 hours outage each day (just as I was about to skype the US).
    I'm paying €80 per month for this ****e!

Edit to post speeds at 6:25pm

Downstream 1922 Kbps (240.3 KB/sec) 2075 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 1299 Kbps (162.4 KB/sec) 1402 Kbps (inc. overheads)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

rommy667 wrote:
    edit:hshortt i have just renewed my second year contract :)

you had to renew the contract? does it not run for 12 months and then contune each month you stay connected with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 51bman

It is not just bray .It seem to be all over .I rang up ( Again ) and the automated message was telling of a total coverage failure .
    On the subject of towers i use the Clonsilla high site and it is has to be the worst on the network .Will i ever improve or do i bite the bullet and revert to dial up ??:confused: ( Groan) .Keep up the good work by the way ..I have sent you a complaint to add to your list .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

IBB is currently down in UCD, Donnybrook, Bray and Wicklow.

UCD and Donnybrook since this morning, Bray and Wicklow since Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

IBB in Cork is totally unusable for the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

carbsy wrote:
    IBB in Cork is totally unusable for the last 2 weeks.

I've been consistently averaging about 100kbit/sec download and 30-90kbit/sec upload on a Breeze 1Mb package recently. After eventually getting through to IBB support they said that my radio connection to them is fine however all Internet traffic is noticeably slower than when it was installed. As soon as the contract's up I'm off 'cause their support is taking the p***. It's obvious from all the IBB complaints that they do have fundamental problems in some areas but they don't seem to be prepared to acknowledge and face up to them. A traceroute to ftp.heanet.ie gives the following :

Tracing route to ftp.heanet.ie [193.1.193.64]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.2
    2 11 ms 12 ms 5 ms CK01-fe-0-0-1-160-rhhall.irishbroadband.ie [83.141.70.177]
    3 179 ms 148 ms 80 ms CK03-fe-0-0-1-30-kilbarry.irishbroadband.ie [87.192.233.41]
    4 13 ms 15 ms 12 ms DN05-fe-1-3-1-12-esb.irishbroadband.ie [83.141.117.193]
    5 17 ms 15 ms 15 ms DN04-as1-0-guinness.irishbroadband.ie [83.141.117.1]
    6 15 ms 14 ms 13 ms DN42-as0-0-ibis-access.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.52.153]
    7 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms DN42-ge-0-2-0-50-ibis-gw.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.52.157]
    8 17 ms 18 ms 2791 ms hyperion-gige6-1.cwt.core.hea.net [193.242.111.16]
    9 18 ms 2781 ms 18 ms mantova-gige6-2.bh.access.hea.net [193.1.195.138]
    10 15 ms 16 ms 16 ms portia-po1.bh.access.hea.net [193.1.196.218]
    11 2933 ms 16 ms 17 ms ftp.heanet.ie [193.1.193.64]

[
    €35 p/m for an unusable and unstable "broadband" service...:mad:[/QUOTE]

we are all doomed to use this totally crap service or go back to the dreaded dial up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ucd_guy

Anyone have any info about getting out of a contract early? I've got five months left on mine.

I just spent fifteen minutes with them on hold, before I gave up. This is ridiculous, got an exam Thursday that I need highspeed internet to study for, and then this crap.

NTL, here I come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭g2e

well if they arent offering any service and youve payed for it, then they are in breech of contract..

I rang and emailed to cancel my a/c but they never got back to me so i cancelled direct debit in bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I'd like to add another tale of woe!

Nearly 2 weeks ago my connection kept dropping , I rang IBB and spent an hour on the phone to a guy who told me my NIC was fecked (it wasn't) so I told him fine I can use my other NIC or my laptop, after more troubleshooting he told me that my alvarion box was dodgy and that I needed a new one. I was told to wait 5 working days and that I would be refunded for my downtime. Do you think I have gotten it yet? Of course not!

I have spent a total of 4 hours on hold this week and I have had it! I've been told to to wait 5 working days, to wait a week, that it'll be delivered on Monday, that it's on it's way, that it'll be with me in the afternoon, so on so on..... How hard can it be to deliver a small box? Are they using carrier pigeons or trained monkeys? It's got to be one or the other...

So it's time for me to look at other providers....

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

What are other good providers? When I run an irishisptest.com speed test it's coming in so slow (800kb/s on a 3Mb line) does everyone hit there actual speed with their connections?

Note this connection is shared between about 4 PC's but they're inactive when this test is being run

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Turlock wrote:
    What are other good providers? When I run an irishisptest.com speed test it's coming in so slow (800kb/s on a 3Mb line) does everyone hit there actual speed with their connections?

Note this connection is shared between about 4 PC's but they're inactive when this test is being run

On ClearWire in Naas, I generally average somewhere between 1.8Mb to 2.4Mb Download and 180Kb to 270Kb upload.

At the moment, I'm getting 1.8Mb : 303Kb

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dan99989

Well, after 97% packet loss and pings of 1500-3000ms the other night in Bray, i decided enough was enough - today i called them to cancel my contract.

After 15 mins on hold, i spoke to someone in the Financial Relations department who assured me that i didnt want to cancel my contract as i would have to pay the remainder of the year in order to break it (i didnt mind doing this, i just wanted to cancel the bastards). Apparently, he'd get a technician onto the problem straight away. So, as Deja Vu set in, I reiterated my story about how i'd been promised call backs and not recieved them, about how my mails had got "lost" in the system et al. Once again, i was promised that i would recieve a call back as i was indeed, in need of assistence. So i caved slightly and decided to give them ONE LAST chance.

Shockingly, and against all odds, 10 minutes later i recieved a call from one of their tech guys. Yes, they called me. They guy was very sound (name was Peter i think) and sympathised with my position. He placed a ticket on my account, checked a few performance graphs, and agreed that although my connection was fine today (its always ifine whenever you're talking to them!), it had been dodgy last week. Basically he performed everything a standard Tech Support service should do, but IBB dont. Futhermore, if i was having any more issues, call again and ask to speak to him. He even (after some cojoling) gave me his direct Email address.

Though i'm still an IBB customer, i think that maybe, just maybe, today was a positive turning point. We'll see over the next few weeks just how stable the connection is, and i'll be straight on to "Pete" if there's an issue!

*Rant over*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

dan99989 wrote:
    Well, after 97% packet loss

:eek: 97% packet loss??? OMFG

dan99989 wrote:
    who assured me that i didnt want to cancel my contract as i would have to pay the remainder of the year in order to break it (i didnt mind doing this, i just wanted to cancel the bastards).

No no, no no, no, no noooooooooooooooo. You don't have to pay to break the contract. THEY have already broken the contract. I'm no lawyer but as far as I know, you are free from the contract because of their negligence. I went through almost the same as you, but maybe for a longer time. I was nice to them, but I didn't let them charge me for getting out of contract. I told them to try and see what happens. They promptly refunded me for a month or two.

I'm not saying be a money grabber, but stick up for your rights, man.

Still crap in Bray, I ran a ping -t last night, when i kicked it off, I was getting 100% packet loss, but through out the night, it appeared to get better, and ended up with a 77% loss.

I'm currently pinging the router at home from work, and am getting about 30% loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

At the beginning I was really píssed off with IBB, however, they were only minor teething problems. I think it is a great piece of kit!

Anyone else in the Raheny area. If so how are you finding IBB??

As an update, some techs came around yesterday and did some jiggery pokery. Now I'm down to 0% loss, and I seem to have 5MB upload speed, according to irishisptest. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

im in the d16 area, and its been pretty shoddy over the past few days, i still think there is something wrong with their network, i left a "ping" session running my laptop for a an hour or two, and noticed that i was getting icmp_timeouts and getting responses from the wrong ip address to my pings (in addition to being generally slow, random latency and having packet loss all roung)

• Advertisement

testicle wrote:
    As an update, some techs came around yesterday and did some jiggery pokery. Now I'm down to 0% loss, and I seem to have 5MB upload speed, according to irishisptest. Happy days.

I can second this - i threatened to cancel the direct debit, and they assured me that they would fix the matter.

To my shock they did and now i'm getting fairly constant 100-120k dl speed and 253k upload. Bit odd i know, but at least this has been constant!

I remain ever skeptical though...

Merry Christmas from Irish Broadband...

untitled-vi.jpg

IBB Bray...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

ywah, I've given up on them, they seem to have no interest in providing a service, and the few bit's I get from them isnt even worth calling web access.

[
    €35 p/m for an unusable and unstable "broadband" service...:mad:[/QUOTE]

I have to give it to ibb customer support they have balls of steel .They had the neck to send me a mail with a Christmas greeting attached wishing me well and reminding me that their broadband actually works with out wires ,, ( did anyone else get one??)

rlmao

Answer them better to answer customer queries and supply a decent service .

i have a new year message for these guys ..You can keep your nreliable ,unstable & unusable service .i will be cancelling my sub tomorrow and going back to a reliable dial up provided by utv internet .:mad::mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

My complaints are as follows.
    1. Increase price without informing customer.
    2. Change service plan without informing customer.
    3. Unstable and unreliable.
    4. Customer service needs improvement (it does seem to be getting better though)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

my connectioin has been next to nothing since 1 Jan i have been ringing a least twice a day with no resolution, "we are currently looking in the problem", "you will be compensated for any loss of service" Is this grounds for breach of contract. or will further action be needed.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

dont know if anyone posted this article yet or not.

perhaps things will get fixed? assuming they get more funding and do soemthing useful with it

Irish Broadband exceeds forecast
    Claire Shoesmith

High-speed wireless internet provider Irish Broadband said yesterday it signed up more people than expected last year as demand for home internet use increased.

Irish Broadband, which is a unit of NTR, said it had signed up more than 20,000 customers in 2005.

Managing director Paul Doody said that, while the rate of customer attraction was good throughout 2005, it was particularly strong in the final three months of the year as the company benefited from an aggressive advertising and marketing campaign.

Unlike other broadband services providers such as BT and Smart Telecom, Irish Broadband doesn't rely on Eircom's telephone lines for its service.

It uses its own technology to deliver broadband services over the air, meaning its customers are not required to have a phone line in their homes to connect to the internet.

Irish Broadband, which won its first licence in 2002, last year spent about €45 million developing its network and expects to announce a further round of funding later this month. The group now has 13 licences to provide fixed wireless access in most heavily populated cities, including Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway.

The group said wireless broadband was proving extremely popular with many households because of its easy installation and independence from the telephone network.

A report by ComReg, the telecoms regulator, showed that while overall broadband subscriptions increased by almost 19 per cent in the third quarter of 2005, fixed wireless broadband services were the fastest growing with 37 per cent quarter on quarter growth.

© The Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RekcaH

Just want to add my name to the list of disgruntled users!

hap hazard service.. anywhere from 0.5kb to 100kb on a line that should do more then that... there are some days packet loss is so bad retrieving email is a chore.. browser keeps stalling midway.. due to packet loss.. stuff like that...

attempts at customer satisfaction have seemingly gone out the window by ibb.. the worst thing is i dont believe they give a damn..

i've started a new thread to try and list the mast locations as i believe thats a factor.. guinness mast seems to be dire

mast list thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50661521#post50661521

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vinks wrote:
    dont know if anyone posted this article yet or not.

perhaps things will get fixed? assuming they get more funding and do soemthing useful with it

Perhaps some of the disgrunted users on here should contact the Irish Times or Ms Shoesmith. The article amounts to free publicity for IBB and will not doubt attract even more people to the debacle that is IBB.

Advertisement