Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typically Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Xiney wrote:
    Well yes. She's my mother, I'm morally obligated as her daughter to consider her crazy and my upbringing criminal. However, as she's not the subject of this thread and I don't want to get banned on my first real boards posting spree, I'll leave it at that.
    Sure, we all don't want to fall foul of boards 'boo to a goose' golden rule.

But seriously, your mother is Canadian? I thought you guys were actually a little more educated than your Southern neighbours and had fairly accurate world-view?

Maybe it's just your mother's generation.

Anyways, back to the original topic. When I worked in London, I could spot a fellow Paddy at 20 paces. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was and there's about two dozen attributes. Even people who 'looked' Irish to me who spoke with a thick London accent turned out to have Irish parentage.

However, there's one attribute that springs to mind in terms of Irish women. Sorry, no offence, but you have bigger arses than English women! The 'typical' Irish backside is wider and flatter than the British counterpart.

Now, where did I leave that asbestos suit?...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Possible sarcasm alert...

Irish people are a healthy mix of fat, thin, ugly, gorgeous, blond, blue-eyed, dark-haired, brown/green-eyed men and women with fantastic senses of humour, great orators and writers with a fantastic ability to imbibe alcohol. Oh and we know what tongues are really for, ... allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

the only way to decide this is:

go to hotornot.com and seach men and women of any age by location, ireland

or search by keyword: 'ireland'. most of the results are irish people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I remember someone saying once that Irish are either quite ugly or very beautiful and that there really is no in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd argue, that like most countries, the majority of people here are average/plain by the country's standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

When you are away on holiday it's great fun to try spot the Irish person. I think the freckles and pale skin is the giveaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Every Irish person hates another Irish person because of where they're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Xiney wrote:
    I guess it's because he's what I personally found most of the Irish people I met on my travels to be (with the regular exception of bus drivers): Super friendly.
    Of course, that's only because he wants in your pants.

How does that make us different from men of any other nationality exactly? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

According to my friends over here in London, I "look Irish"... oddly enough I have the dark hair and dark eyes and a longish face the OP mentioned. I'm also somewhat pale in complexion, but that may be mostly due to not being outside so much! However, I wasn't born in Ireland, I was born in England, but I lived in Ireland for nearly 18 years, since I was very young... I dunno if that's a factor in how a person would look at all. I'm actually of mixed heritage, English, Icelandic, Danish and small bits of German and Irish...

It's kind of hard saying down how an Irish person looks, or should look because of all the factors involved... being how the other family members look, genetics, heritage, that kind of stuff. You'd be ages trying to find out how any particular race should look, because for the most part, we all have aspects of other races...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Laguna wrote:
    You should've turned around and said "Funny that, I thought all French people had moustaches, wore striped shirts and wore braids of garlic around their neck whilst riding a bicycle with a stick of French bread under their arm while whistling Joe Le Taxi"...

:D now why didnt i think of that!! they do say that irish people speaking french is 'cute' :o and there was me all paranoid that i was sounding completely weird :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Anybody who's walked around Boston will know you can walk into an area and just know by looking at the people that you've walked into an Irish area. They just look Irish, and I could never put my finger on exactly why, but even their clothes looked Irish. The weirdest part was they all had Irish accents, even the ones who's Irish roots were from way back and they'd never even been near Ireland. It was freaky, if it wasn't for the sun shining and the functioning public transport I wouldn't have known I was abroad.

stevenmu wrote:
    if it wasn't for the sun shining and the functioning public transport I wouldn't have known I was abroad.
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can always tell Irish people a mile off when I'm on holidays. The three dot scar from the vaccination on the arm gives it away instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

You forgot the pail skin there.QUOTE]

Not so much anymore a lot of us are turning orange

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

you forgot overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Straight brown hair, back in a pony tail at the nape of their neck, with two shorter bits that curl around their ears and point at their chin. And f*cking terrible clothes.

That's the girls. The blokes still seem to have a t-shirt n shirt combo obsession.

And yes, pale skin, blue eyes, dark hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

It doesn't matter if ya look Irish ya gotta smell Irish aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No one has ever guessed I'm Irish by looking at me...ever. When I worked in retail I was constantly asked what part of Spain/France/Italy I was from or 'boy you're English is good'

As far back as I can trace its Irish, even have the classic Kilkenny name Phelan (dads from Clonmel)

And my God did American women go nuts for Irish accents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

when I lived in Scotland, I was constantly being asked "what part of Canada are you from?" by the customers in work.
    What does a Candian look like? or maybe to the Scots the Irish accent sounds Canadian?

many of the posts are quite accurate with regards to the Irish female. But people of specific classes do tend to look alike also. How about the rural Irish male-big build, messy hair, check shirt, missing at least 1 tooth and with a face like a well scrubbed potato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Sparky_S wrote:
    our green suits with a big buckle on it and our huge green hats, oh and not forgetting the pint of guinness and saying "top of the morning to ya"

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

people think i'm from america//france or spain! its the weirdest thing! both my parents are irish but my grandmother is dutch...but still! i've lived here all my life but once the sun is out i tan really easily and i keep it all the year round...so no pale skin for me!! and i've no freckles...i dont really think that there is a typical irish look personally...tho i could be wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

DubGuy wrote:
    Irish peoples confidence is ruined by the sex wars that go on in Ireland, the "corting" ritual in Ireland is bizzare, and as with everything Irish, there's a lot of politics involved...and also typically Irish, our solution to it is drink.

Exactly what kind of sex war is going on in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The blokes still seem to have a t-shirt n shirt combo obsession.
    :eek: Damn, and I thought I was stylish...

hate to break it to you .. well ill leave it to MAJD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nightwish wrote:
    many of the posts are quite accurate with regards to the Irish female. But people of specific classes do tend to look alike also. How about the rural Irish male-big build, messy hair, check shirt, missing at least 1 tooth and with a face like a well scrubbed potato

I agree on the checked shirts. But the tendency is for way over gelled hair these days. Or at least that's what I see when I go back home :)

They also don't tend to be big. They just tend to be extremely strong from all the years of manual labour that are part and parcel of living in the countryside. You get these tiny wiry guys who are crazily strong all over the place.

As for looks, I don't know. The heavy accent though is a bit of a giveaway in certain parts of the countryside. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

well im over in france and the people in my class say they think irish people have red hair, blue eyes, freckles, pale skin, the usual stereotype! but im dark tho i do have blue eyes n pale(ish) skin, the french say i look irish /english, they're a lot darker than me

thats the french opinion anyway
    Tell them that less than 5% of Irish people have red hair.

Tiffany wrote:

yea ;) its unreal how some people have these age-old stereotypical images in their heads!! one of the lads in the class in comin over to ireland to visit his gf in carlow, he says ah we'll meet up for a drink, as in he thinks ireland thats small that we can 'pop over' for a drink halfway down the country!!

the french think all irish are alcoholics etc etc it amazes me some of the stuff they come out with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Nightwish wrote:
    How about the rural Irish male-big build, messy hair, check shirt, missing at least 1 tooth and with a face like a well scrubbed potato

I would have said badly scrubbed potato TBH.

And theres a huge void between Irish and French drinking - I remember getting drunk at a party with Irish, French and Lituanian people - the french drank 3 bottles of wine between 4 of them, and sat in chairs talking and going "This is the most drunk we've ever been".

The lituanians consumed a a few litre bottles of vodka between about 6-7 of them in the space of less than 2 hours and passed out about the house.

And the 3 Irish guys drank a 24-crate of beer and then finished off the vodka...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Vangelis wrote:
    Exactly what kind of sex war is going on in Ireland?

hmm...search is disabled as usual :rolleyes:

I was going to link you to a thread, but it's basicly a massive thread about loads of guys complaining about Irish women being stand-offish everywhere especially bars, and completely unapproachable, and a whole bunch of women complaining about Irish guys being louts, who only approach women in bars, and act like drunken gimps when they approach them.

"War" is too strong a word but maybe frustration or tention or whatever :)

But I don't want to go O.T. on this thread, so when search is back, i'll link to it, so if you wanna talk about it, you can revive that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Tiffany wrote:

My gf (spanish) thinks I'm ginger, I've brown hair, with a bit of a red beard when I let it grow. I think it's just that some European countries don't have the types of hair colour we have and associate them with red?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement