Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINLinux 2000

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There should be an uninstaller for Winlinux in Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs

- [IAR]Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

ere! You're jokin'!
    Mags are using DVD's to replace the cover-mounted CD's?
    Oh, Fuçk!
    I'm gonna' have to buy me one 'o dem DVD drives....

What was the space usage like on the DVD?
    How many gigs of s/w was on it? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Yeah, it didn't say it, but I think it's one of the first mags to put a DVD on the cover.

AFAIK there's about 18 Gigs available.

Not that they used all of that on the cover disc. There's **** all on it really. You might be better off getting PC Answers, that's a pretty good mag and it has Mandrake 6.1 and WordPerfect 8. Mandrake's based on Red Hat and it's a newbie favourite.

Look out for something like FLD too. Flourescent somethingorother Disc, apparently it holds 140 Gigs and it's the same size as a CD.

Do DVD's just use different compression algorithms to CD's or are they physically different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Think they're thicker aren't they? (I dunno)
    I think they use multiple layers or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

And I think the grooves and pits 'n stuff on DVDs are packed much closer together than on CDs... So, Mandrake 6.1 on PCAnswers, eh? Is that on a CD or DVD? (Haven't got a DVD...)
    I'll have to go and have a look at that tomorrow - since my 600mb RedHat download appears to be FU(KED sad.gif

- [IAR]Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Guys, you're really scareing me now.
    Leave winlinux the **** alone, its got win in the name hasnt it?
    Get rh 6.1 or suse or mandrake, 3 easy to install, easy to use systems. And they all will install x-windows with a nice window manager, gnome which i'm useing at the mo, is prettier, handier, stabler, and less damn annoying than windows. I've got programs to do everything I could want, and they're even gonna release Q3 for linux (although a month later thanks to the publishers).
    If you're considering trying linux, please pay 2 pounds to get a cd from www.cheapbytes.com 's uk distributor. Dont try some cheasy windows booting hack, or base your judgements on how user unfriendly it was even a year ago. Things have come along in leaps and bounds...
    I only use windows ever because i play everquest and no linux binary, but within a year, that wont be an issue with any games, anymore.
    Quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Steady on there Quozl lad. The problem with Linux is that it totally alien to your avg. MS fed comp. user (i.e. everyone.) Winlinux is exactly whats needed to get ppl interested. I installed redhat 5.2 as a dual boot a while back and it was fine but if I didn't know about fdisk /mbr I would have been left with a non-working PC and there was no way an avg user would have got their Matrox G200 working with xwindows. It is not suitable for new users.
    Winlinux is. Run setup and it installs itself (a full blooded version of linux) and off u go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

ok I started this treed so sorry if the letters WIN in the linux board scare you smile.gif
    Anyway I got *&^linux2000 yester day and yes it is a snap to install but I can't get x working (I have a TNT2Ultra) I've tried standerd vga and the TNT servers but no joy. Also it keeps complaing about my RAM then just tries to continue. Any help?

KaYoS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Like I said,
    dont judge linux by how it was a year ago. Rh has become hugely easier to use since 5.2
    5.2 was not a version a total newbie could use, 6.1 is. It's got an install program thats as easy to use as win98s,easily.
    Quozl

Advertisement