Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINLinux 2000

Options
  • 21-10-1999 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

ok I know this is against the whole point of linux but anyway Has anyone tried it yet. Seemingly its a version of liunux you launch from within windoze which just boots into linux it shares your existing HD (no dodgy repartioning) I just wondering what its like since its about 130MB which is a big thing over a 56k modem.

KaYoS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Huh...dunno....
    I tried Linux(2.5) before and it didn't have support for modems and I had to screw around with the Kernel just to get a soundcard working... Has it gotten any better yet?

Copyright(c) Dildo Corp.(TM) 1999
    All trademarks are the property or their respective owners. If you believe this message is an illegal/pirate copy, please phone weather-dial on: 1550 123854

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

I recently upgraded from RH 5.2 to SuSE 6.2 and it's ****ing brilliant!

Everything I need is there, lots of editors for HTML and programming, The GIMP for graphics and MySQL for databases, Netscape, ICQ and Real Player too.

It's well worth forking out £31 for, you get 6 CD's packed with apps.

Peeople say the installation for SuSE is one of the hardest around, but I found it fairly straight forward. Just follow the manual.

Go for it. smile.gif

A buddy of mine d'loaded WinLinux and has yet to get it working. That was about two weeks ago.

[This message has been edited by Karla (edited 25-10-99).]

Another issue I found disturbing was that of the file structure...
    Say I wanted to access files on the CD Rom... I'd go to http://nosever.nowhere/dev/mscx
    ...Bloody confusing for us Win/Dos-heads.
    I like the idea of a more stable and powerful OS, and I'd realy like to support Linux, but I recon I'll wait until a better interface comes out. (KDE tried but failed IMAG)
    16.gif

All trademarks are the property or their respective owners. If you believe this message is an illegal/pirate copy, please phone weather-dial on: 1550 123854

It's way better now, seriously.

There are hundreds of really cool little apps for KDE, as well as the bigger ones like Office apps.

You should get a good book on Linux if you want to support it. I recommend O'Reillys' 'Running Linux' book. It's only about £20. The third edition is out now.

You don't have to be a guru or anything and you can get by with knowing only a few basic commands which aren't that different to DOS commands.

Why were you using the http server to get to the CD anyways?

ROFL, I dunno what the hell I was doing!
    All I know is that it was bloody scary!!

When I was instaling it, I selected the 'Home User' option... can't think of any reason why a home user would need a web server, but there you go...

As exiting as it is to learn all about a new OS, what I'd like is a Win98 clone running on the Linux core.
    I'm not sure what the interface is like in the newer releases, but I think you'd see a lot more people converting from Win9x to Linux if their was a more win-like GUI.

BTW how easy is it to set up an internet connection in Linux? Is their any difficulty connecting Linux to a Windows NT server with PPP and all that? Eh?

• Advertisement

right, I'm downloading WinLinux2000 at the moment...(11%)...I reccon it'll be finished in a few days.

Hmmmm, I wouldn't personally recommend WinLinux after what happened to my buddy, (he still can't get it working) but it's up to you of course.

BTW. There's a Linux Day in UCC tomorrow, check out cork.linux.ie for info.

About the Internet connection? I've never done it, piece of sheeet Winmodem sad.gif . I'm told it's not too difficult tho. ( Of course 'difficult' is used as a relative term wink.gif )

anyhooo keep us informed as to how you get on with WinLinux.

[This message has been edited by Karla (edited 05-11-99).]

Phew! Cork Uni is a little out of my way (Dublin).

I'm currently at 23%, sweet holy cr@p!

logom.gif

[This message has been edited by Karla (edited 06-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by Linux (edited 06-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 06-11-99).]

Why is it saying I edited that message?
    Weird....

Anyway, LAID was pretty cool. Corel were there with a sneak preview of their version of Linux and Red Hat donated 200 box sets of RH 6.0 which would have been great only I had to work this morning and I missed out sad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

winlinuts isn't bad once you over come the download (10 hrs ) but installation is so simple even the newest luser could install it all the setup features are wizards :-)
    the only problem is that if you have every installed a pre dos 7 on a machine you'll know all the names become shortened

but wl doesn't actually shorten them it just displays them as shorter but weirdly if it's say a tar.gz once you uncompress it the dir is find ( even if it is a long name )

pretty easy to use two but you'll probaly need to install extra files anyway but if you have a lunix libary cd's hand you're fine

the biggest problem I had was just setting up my modem. still trying :-)

although I do know several people who have had problem with the graphic cards ( some support issues :-)

• Advertisement

((Sigh))
    Yeah, tell me about it!
    76% complete....

www.gibworld.com/grotto

Alright, I've got it installed and it works... but it doesn't support my Voodoo3, it has detected my modem, but it sais that my modem is busy!(?)

I tried to setup my internet account, I can't find PPP, the closest thing I've got is PAP(?!)

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Same problem :-) modem's there but nobody is answering :-)

Busy doing what?
    That's what I wanna' know!
    I'd use Linux more, if only I could see it in more that 16-colours, 640x480.
    A bloody internet connection wouldn't be half bad either!
    And as for my soundcard, don't get me started!
    Now I can see a lot of Linux-Lovers frowning @ this post, but its hard for Linux-newbies to get started with setting up all the hardware.
    (Those "How To's" don't realy help much)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I downloaded WinLinux 2000 a while ago too. I had the same "busy modem" problems. Fortunately I was able to get my graphics card running fine in 800x600 16k colours. (cheap dodgy Cirrus Logic 5446 2mb). KDE seemed *very* slow though (and a bit clunky too... it looks like the ba$tard child of Win95/98 and MacOS). I never could get the modem to work in WinLinux, and have since uninstalled it... I'm downloading RedHat 6.1 now - 130mb to go...Fortunately, I have a second hard drive (2gb) which I'll install RedHat on (No idea how to do this yet - I'm a linux newbie smile.gif)

- |IAR|Munch
    - www.iar.netgames.org.uk

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 15-11-99).]

Don't worry about installing on to a second hard drive, it's a cinch. I managed to do it and I didn't have a ****ing clue smile.gif
    Just remember to partition hdb1 not hda1 smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Winlinux is pretty cool. Installed on PC and laptop - No probs. Sound card/graphics card detected okay. Modem detected but busy........ Bah. Anyone any ideas ?

P.s. Download took 43 mins. Heh heh heh

Ere Steve, let us know how you get on with Redhat.
    If the modem problem is fixed, I might just download it...
    Oooh, and check if it has Voodoo3 support.

(BTW, is it free to d/l?)

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 16-11-99).]

Yeah, RedHat is free to download (It's fu<king massive though - about 600 mb) I have no idea how to check what it supports - but I think I'm safe - I have bog standard equipment smile.gif - Crappy 2mb cirrus logic graphics card + Voodoo2 8mb, original SoundBlaster 16 (It must be at least 5 years old), dodgy 24x CDROM. One thing I must know - does RedHat have any CD burning software installed? I'm waiting for my shiny new CDRW to arrive biggrin.gif

- |IAR|Munch
    - http://www.iar.netgames.org.uk

Holy phuck!
    What kind of connection do you have, that you can d/l that kinda' thing?

• Advertisement

I'm on a regular old 56k modem... on Esat NoLimits - It's been downloading all week - 70 mb to go...

- |IAR|Munch
    - http://iarclan.cjb.net

Oh, LOL!
    I know that feeling...
    Using 'GetRight' or 'GoZilla' or something?

I'd laugh if it didn't work after all this downloading! (- naw, probably wouldn't laugh sad.gif -)

Nah, I'm using BulletProof FTP - It can resume FTP downloads, and download entire directories - it would be a real pain in the ar$e to download a few thousand files through GetRight... Apparently, I have 25 days left to "evaluate" the program cheeky.gif

- |IAR|Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 18-11-99).]

Think you'll get it downloaded in time?

Yeah, only a few megs left smile.gif Should be done by tomorrow.

- |IAR|Munch
    - www.iar.netgames.org.uk

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 20-11-99).]

Well, I got a reply from Winlinux tech support today, about the modem busy problem - They had attached a file to the email to replace one of the existing WinLinux files... I'm off to test it now...

::fingers crossed::

- |IAR|Munch
    - http://iarclan.cjb.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Any chance you could mail it to me stephen.

Cheers

...Done...

- [IAR]Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

Did it work?

• Advertisement

WinLinux 2000 Final BETA is on the DVD issue of PC Format ATM. I just installed it and it's cack! Well I did only play with it for 10 mins but as far as I could make out there was no http server and **** all useful applications, oh and Netscape chucked out about 40 errors before it opened and then crashed.

Is deleting WinLinux just a matter of deleting C:\Linux?

Advertisement