Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mordern Movies that will be classics in 60+ years

Options
  • 15-10-2005 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Well?

we had a huge talk bout this in work last 2 days

sin city
    matrix (1st 1)
    Butter fly effect ?

i cant think of ne more to early no brain
    any1 elce think of movies that will be all time classics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who the hell can tell?!

No "classic" from the past was made as a classic just as another flick to be released. Filums that are acclaimed sometimes age very badly while other seem to age very well and end up seeming better cos they happen to cast a light on a particluar era. But it won't be known for er 60 years!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Why Butterfly Affect :confused: , wasnt that great.
    I would say Lord Of The Rings will be a classic watched for hundreds of years :). Thats all i can think of.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I would say Lord Of The Rings will be a classic watched for hundreds of years :)
    More likely it will be watched until they decide to make them again.

This thread makes my head hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

kaids wrote:
    More likely it will be watched until they decide to make them again.

This thread makes my head hurt.

They remade The Italian Job but that doesnt mean its better, i would rather watch the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

This thread kinda sucks.But if I had to say anything I would say American Beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

• Braveheart
    • Shawshank Redemption
    • Pulp Fiction
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Home Alone???? Well I liked it!!!
    • Toy Story (mainly because of what it achieved in its day, kinda like what "A Land Before Time" and "The American Time" did in their day

I know most of the films are from the 90's but their still modern films

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

d-arke wrote:
    Home Alone
    Well I don't know about 'classic', but I bet it'll still be on a few times over Christmas in 60 years time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

d-arke wrote:
    • Toy Story (mainly because of what it achieved in its day, kinda like what "A Land Before Time" and "The American Time" did in their day
    You mean An American Tale?

I'd say Toy Story and Pulp Fiction are good candidates anyway. Not sure if Lord of the Rings would really qualify; despite it's general appeal, it's still more blockbuster than timeless classic. May look a bit stale in ten years time.

Can't really think of too many other modern classics. A fair few of the films we call classics today weren't too popular (or at least widly seen) on first release. It's hard to know which of todays underdogs will get re-evaluated down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Of the films mentioned so far , bar Shawshank, Saving Private Ryan and Toy Story, I don't believe that any will be deemed classics or be widely watched 60years from now. That's not to say I don't think they are good movies, just merely that people of 2065 will not 'get their appeal' or find them enjoyable.

Goodshape wrote:
    You mean An American Tale?

Yeah thats the one I meant. Dunno what I was thinking, "An American Time"?!?! "D'Oh!!!!!"

Just thought of another one, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves- the one with Kevin Costner.

I'd like to say The Lost Boys, Back to the Future 1, and the Indiana Jones Trilogy, but then their already classics.......aren't they??? Could they count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sin City? Very much doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

1. American Beauty
    2. American History X
    3. The Usual Suspects
    4. Fight Club
    5. Donnie Darko (possibly)
    But hey, they're just films I really like - not too sure whether the currently non-existant grandkids shall agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Friday Night Lights. Trust me.

(ok maybe thats just me ... but its not your typical sports film and should be remembered)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

qz wrote:
    Sin City? Very much doubt it.

Yeah.It's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Franky Boy wrote:
    Yeah.It's terrible.
    thought it was fantastic

gigli is probably a classic. not for the same reasons as the matrix though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Donnie Darko
    LOTR
    The Big Lebowski
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Donnie Darko
    LOTR
    The Big Lebowski
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Id agree with all the above, but I think theyll always remain a sort of niche market... Bar Lotr of course.
    Also, Id say Pulp Fiction.
    And the Butterfly Effect?? In 60 years, I hope people still see it as the shameless Donnie Darko clone it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Usual Suspects
    Memento
    Pulp Fiction - mabye
    And just to get ye talking Jurassic Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Ah damn. I had a really good one in my head.

I'd say that Pulp Fiction, Shawshank and Donnie Darko are already considered classics. The Usual Suspects too.

Now to remembering what that film was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I think Disney films turn out to be classics in time...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

The Usual Suspects
    Memento
    Pulp Fiction - mabye
    And just to get ye talking Jurassic Park.

yeid go with jurassic park
    i suppose just cause its star wars and has such a huge fanbase episode 3 would have to be listed aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

Momento

The Usual Suspects

American Beauty

La Confidential [Wanna dance with the man]

Gladiator

Moulin rouge

Toy Story 2

Pirates of the Carribean ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Toy Story..... 2?! No way. I can barely remember what happened in that movie. I do however remember that it was not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

How about American History X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd say that the Studio Ghibli films will be considered classics in much the same way early Disney films are considered now.

Toy Story 2: no chance. It could never live up to the first one.

Jurassic Park: Yeah, I'd say it would be in for a fair shout cause its unlike any other film with those special effects. And before anyone starts, please don't mention any of the sequels, I'm fairly sure I vouch for everyone in saying they won't be classics.

American History X: Good shout cooperguy, as someone mentioned earlier, films that general end up classics are not widely watched, and I believe thats the case here. Quality film.

Momento: Don't think so.

Moulin Rouge: Haven't seen it so can't comment, but I'd presume its alot like Chicago which again I haven't seen.

Ususal Suspects: Competing too much with Pulp Fiction and I think Pulp Fiction would win no problem in the race to be a classic.

LA Confidential: Umm, unsure what to make of it.

American Beauty: Because of how it faired in global recognition I'm not sure it would. It could end up being a film that deteriorates over time. Good film all the same, just not sure if it would be considered a classic.

Star Wars 3: I know everyone says episodes 1 2 3 are rubbish, orbeit, not as good as 4 5 6, but regardless because of the effect that Star Wars had on everyone i think it will stand the test of time.

Gladiator: I say this one could, but like the Usual Suspects, one of its challengers is Braveheart in the race to become a classic and I think Braveheart would beat it to it.

Pirates of the Caribean: To soon to tell, I would love it to become one, hopefully they dont wreck the brand with two upcoming films.

Just thought of one that I don't think has been mentioned, but the problem is, which one would you pick to be a classic, Terminator or Terminator 2. I think must people would rule out the third one from what I've heard about it. Haven't seen it myself so I can't comment. So T1 or T2????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

d-arke wrote:
    Momento: Don't think so.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i thought i said terminator ye terminator 2 ill definatly last T 1 aswell and t3 even thought **** ppl will still want to wartch it if the 1st and 2nd last time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I think as a comedy film, Meet The Parents will stand out as a classic a long time from now. Yeah LOTR will quite probably remain a much-loved, timeless kind of film. The thing about anything with 'special effects' is though, sometimes they can end up looking extremely dated, 10 years down the line. Sometimes.
    Sin City will not live long in the memory, and none of your 'pop. cult' 'classics' like Donnie Darko will either.
    The Hurricane will probably always be a well remembered and popular film, probably because it deals with somewhat historical issues, like rascism in the states, etc.
    Yeah I could see Pirates Of The Carribean being played on telly every Christmas for many years to come. Any of those swashbucklers generally are. The Mask Of Zorro likewise.
    I believe that Gattaca will be something of a sci-fi classic, a long time from now. Who knows how prophetic it might be?
    But, yeah, it's probably damn near impossible to really know these things.

Advertisement