Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming ability question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Sounds like a frontend to the command line "net" command is what he wants, by default creating an smb share on each client, with a client specific name, uses net view for discovery, makes a smb hole in any XP firewalled machines it's installed on, and readds the file support for net send, sensibly removed by MS for security reasons.

At least looking through the windows help files for net (Not .NET btw) might give him a reference point for further discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

1. If you want to program such from a programming point of view... and seeing as you have used VB, why not use the winsock control on a form etc...

2. Otherwise, the OS has loads of tools and methods...

osmethod

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭clearz

Listen If you want a nice little program that anyone can open on their desktop and sellect some files in an easy to use GUI and then send them to the shared folder in someone elses computer then I will be able to do the for you for arround €50.

Otherwise you could learn to code which can take quite some time or you can use the suggested batch file method. Personally I dont like batch files myself. I just dont like the look of the icon or something.

PM me if your interested and we will talk more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The feature mutant fruit described is exactly one of the abilitys this program requires, but not so the end user can navagate nor administrate, the product will have a completly profesional look and feel, ALMOST microsoft in appearance,

calpable of supporting 2 Systems + and also incoperating printer & wireless pcs access.
    Reminds me of that Dilbert cartoon where the goal for Q4 is new OS to have 50% market share, and it must run on windows 95..

But if you can't explain clearly what you want then it hard to do it.
    An OSI model lists 7 layers of network connections , still unsure how many you want done by the OS and how many by the app.
    [php]
    REM batch file to open folder "share" on other machines.
    net view>netview.txt
    FOR /F %%m in (netview.txt) DO if exist %%m\share\*.* start %%m\share

REM batch file to look for shares / printers
    echo.>resources.txt
    FOR /F %%m in (netview.txt) DO net view %%m >>resources.txt
    for /F %%a in (resources.txt) DO parse the file and then start \\%%a\printername
    [/php]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Thanks clerz for that offer, sofar I have put together a GUI within vb, i dont have any code written and its a basic interface sofar, i need an individual with the ability to create the code for this system (doesnt have to be in vb) any would appreciate a pm if anyone is interested and we can then work out rates,

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i'd be interested alright. I'm a poor college student and need all the money i can get :p. If you could PM me (or post here) the exact specs of what you want i could make an educated guess as to how long it'd take me to do it. Spend half an hour and try to think of everything you'd like it to be able to do.

e.g. Drag and drop files to send them? Autodiscover of other people using the app on the lan? Allow app to send files over the net to remote PC(i'd recommend against this though as i'd charge more :p). Default directories (more secure) or allow any directory or have an option for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

What type of rates or total cost would someone like yourself charge ? and how long would you think something like that take to complete ?

Regards

At LEAST €100. Per second.

Im still interested in hearing from people intersted in this project, Im willing to pay for the work that i want done.

Send me a pm if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I take it you did get my return email then? I'll send a PM now anyway :p

I havent got your returnd mail or pm yet!

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement